Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
colts QB situation

Figured we'd keep an eye on this as it develops...

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1/21/2...-for-colts

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...arterback/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think Mac Jones is gonna be way out of reach for them. They are picking too far down in round 1 to get one of the top QB's. Realistically, I believe they could be in play for Sam Darnold, depending on what the Jets do at the QB spot or Kyle Trask. They do have Jacob Eason who they drafted last season, but I'm not high on him at all. I really don't see a lot of good options for them.

Scam Newton.... lol

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 01:27 PM by Bullseye.)

(01-22-2021, 08:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Figured we'd keep an eye on this as it develops...

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1/21/2...-for-colts

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...arterback/

This is going to be an unusual year.

With the retirements of Rivers, and Brees, with the possible retirement of Big Ben, the possible trade of Watson, the draft class with its five likely first rounders, and the domino effect they all will have on any number of veteran QBs including Sam Darnold and Garoppolo, there could be more QB movement this year than in most years I've ever seen.

Just looking at the Colts, they could

1.  Keep and elevate  Jacoby Brissett.  In this year of a likely lowered salary cap, his contract is manageable, he's experienced and already knows the offense and personnel.  But he's just a guy...a guy that could be upgraded.

2.  Keep and elevate Jacob Eason.  To me this is a dubious proposition given how good their defense is.  Why turn the reins over to a wholly unproven and untested guy drafted in the middle rounds with alleged maturity issues?  He may have benefitted by watching Phillip Rivers and being under Reich, but there's no substitute for game experience, and he doesn't have any at the NFL level. 

3.  Draft a guy like Jones or Trask.  From a talent perspective, this strategy may present a talent upgrade over Eason and if they hit, will stabilize the position for years.  But this would only exacerbate the experience issue presented by Eason above, to say nothing of preventing the team from utilizing their first round pick on a LT to replace the just retired LT Anthony Castonzo. Furthermore, they sit relatively low in the draft order for a team that wants to pick a possible franchise signal caller in the first round.  They may have to move up to land the guy they want.

4.  Trade for Wentz or another vet-Wentz is a lot less likely given what has transpired in Philly.  Maybe they could get a decent deal on Darnold in the aftermath of any Watson trade, though I would have to think Darnold would be included in any compensation for him.  There's also the issue of why they are are the market to begin with.

5.  Sign another vet.  Guys like James Winston, Trubisky, Matt ryan or Matt Stafford might become available due to all of the shuffling at QB.  Like above, these guys may be upgrades over Brissett, but why are they available in the first place?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-22-2021, 12:55 PM)Kane Wrote: Scam Newton.... lol

He just needs to retire. He's broken down.

(01-22-2021, 03:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 12:55 PM)Kane Wrote: Scam Newton.... lol

He just needs to retire. He's broken down.

That seems to fit quite a few QBs this year...at least by season's end.

Brees and Big Ben also fit into that category.

(01-22-2021, 03:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 03:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He just needs to retire. He's broken down.

That seems to fit quite a few QBs this year...at least by season's end.

Brees and  Big Ben also fit into that category.

Brees is leaning about 90% to retiring from all reports. He apparently told some people he was retiring at the end of the season. Roethlisberger could go either way.

(01-22-2021, 04:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 03:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: That seems to fit quite a few QBs this year...at least by season's end.

Brees and  Big Ben also fit into that category.

Brees is leaning about 90% to retiring from all reports. He apparently told some people he was retiring at the end of the season. Roethlisberger could go either way.

ABsolutely.

As I said...lots of QB changes on the NFL horizon.

I think that the clots are a prime candidate to trade for Wentz.

(01-23-2021, 04:51 PM)enigma Wrote: I think that the clots are a prime candidate to trade for Wentz.

I honestly don't think he's leaving Philly.

https://nfltraderumors.co/breaking-lions...a9RoH1NjRc

Yeah if they get Stafford that's not good for us. He makes that team a SB contender. A big upgrade over Rivers

Do the colts have the draft capital to land Stafford? I wonder if they will have to include a player or two to get it done.

Somewhere, somehow they need to find a new starting LT as well.

I think it's either Stafford or Wentz (less likely with Pederson's firing)

Or Rivers is convinced to come back or Luck comes back.

They have a good team and are a QB away, so I anticipate they want to have a veteran A level QB while they have the window.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2021, 01:33 PM by HolsterHusto.)

It’s going to suck if Watson ends up in NYJ, Stafford in Indy, Rodgers in Green Bay, and Zach Wilson in Houston lol.

Glad Stafford didn't go to Indy.

(01-25-2021, 01:33 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: It’s going to suck if Watson ends up in NYJ, Stafford in Indy, Rodgers in Green Bay, and Zach Wilson in Houston lol.

I feel a kinship with Jets fans. As fellow winless wilderness wanderers, it would be nice to see that franchise catch a break. But us first.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2021, 09:54 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-23-2021, 04:51 PM)enigma Wrote: I think that the clots are a prime candidate to trade for Wentz.

(01-25-2021, 01:33 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: It’s going to suck if Watson ends up in NYJ, Stafford in Indy, Rodgers in Green Bay, and Zach Wilson in Houston lol.

Welp...so far it looks like Stafford will end up with the Rams, Rodgers in Green Bay, and maybe a Cousins for Garoppolo swap.

If the link that D6 provided is true, the Bears seemingly have won the bidding war for Wentz.

(01-31-2021, 11:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Glad Stafford didn't go to Indy.

Me too. 

They seem to be running out of viable veteran options.

Good.

(01-31-2021, 11:32 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I feel a kinship with Jets fans. As fellow winless wilderness wanderers, it would be nice to see that franchise catch a break. But us first.

I don't.

Screw the Jets and their fans.

I think Wentz lands in Indy.