Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
An interesting stat for Jags DT

Of the 6 primary DT’s on the roster, they combined for 2.5 sacks, 9 tackles for loss, and a mere 13 QB Hits. 2.5 SACKS!!!!!!!!

1st round pick Bryan has 3.5 sacks in 3 seasons.

That is putrid.

Mel Kiper thinks we will boost that position with Alabama Christian Barmore.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Barmore would be awesome, I just don't believe that the IDL1 is going to fall all the way to 25 when there are so many teams that need IDL help.

If we go to a 3-4 scheme as we suspect, there will be less emphasis placed on DT. We may look for a 5 technique type later in the draft to play opposite Doug Costin with DaVon Hamilton playing the NT spot and Chaisson and Allen serving as the primary pass rushers at OLB. I think we go O-Line and secondary early in the draft and look for role players like a 5 technique and depth at LB, both outside and inside in the middle rounds.

(01-27-2021, 12:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we go to a 3-4 scheme as we suspect, there will be less emphasis placed on DT. We may look for a 5 technique type later in the draft to play opposite Doug Costin with DaVon Hamilton playing the NT spot and Chaisson and Allen serving as the primary pass rushers at OLB. I think we go O-Line and secondary early in the draft and look for role players like a 5 technique and depth at LB, both outside and inside in the middle rounds.

I agree with this. I don’t think we can rule out the possibility of a OLB either. Adding another pass rusher is always on the table.

(01-27-2021, 02:34 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 12:53 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we go to a 3-4 scheme as we suspect, there will be less emphasis placed on DT. We may look for a 5 technique type later in the draft to play opposite Doug Costin with DaVon Hamilton playing the NT spot and Chaisson and Allen serving as the primary pass rushers at OLB. I think we go O-Line and secondary early in the draft and look for role players like a 5 technique and depth at LB, both outside and inside in the middle rounds.

I agree with this. I don’t think we can rule out the possibility of a OLB either. Adding another pass rusher is always on the table.

Absolutely. You need depth. There is always injuries and you must be prepared for them.

As bad as those stats are, it doesn’t begin to depict how bad they were vs the run.

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2021, 03:19 PM by ATLjag.)

A prototypical DE in a modern 3-4, should the Jags transition there, would be something like JJ Watt and Calais Campbell. My concern right now on the roster is we just don't have these type of guys. Whether the Jags go 3-4, or stay more as a 4-3 base, defensive lineman are a big need that will be addressed.

(01-27-2021, 03:17 PM)ATLjag Wrote: A prototypical DE in a modern 3-4, should the Jags transition there, would be something like JJ Watt and Calais Campbell.  My concern right now on the roster is we just don't have these type of guys.  Whether the Jags go 3-4, or stay more as a 4-3 base, defensive lineman are a big need that will be addressed.

I believe Costin and Smoot (should he be re-signed) could be good 3-4 DE's.

People forget that even if its one year, Al Woods is coming back after opting out last season, plug him in at NT, kick out Davon Hamilton to the 5 technique, have costin start at the opposite end or have smoot gain some weight and play there.

We have 11 picks, I think we spend 2-3 of those on the front 7 to make the switch. We also have free agency to try and find another Rodney Gunter type player
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(01-27-2021, 08:59 PM)Firesky Wrote: People forget that even if its one year, Al Woods is coming back after opting out last season, plug him in at NT, kick out Davon Hamilton to the 5 technique, have costin start at the opposite end or have smoot gain some weight and play there.

We have 11 picks, I think we spend 2-3 of those on the front 7 to make the switch. We also have free agency to try and find another Rodney Gunter type player

Hamilton is a good NT. I don't think it would be in the teams benefit to waste him as a 3-4 DE. After Abry Jones got hurt and Hamilton started at NT, we were much better against the run. He was showing steady improvement every week. It was after Hamilton got injured that the run defense dropped back off a cliff. Hamilton had several games where he was among the top rated DT's in the league for those games. I wanna see what he can do as a NT in 3-4, without just automatically kicking him outside. I think that would be a total waste of his talents. Woods can back him up at NT. 

Smoot doesn't need to gain weight. I know he is listed at 265 lbs., but there is absolutely no way that is true. They need to put him back on a scale. That guy is at least 280 lbs., probably larger. He's ideal for a 3-4 DE.

(01-27-2021, 10:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 08:59 PM)Firesky Wrote: People forget that even if its one year, Al Woods is coming back after opting out last season, plug him in at NT, kick out Davon Hamilton to the 5 technique, have costin start at the opposite end or have smoot gain some weight and play there.

Hamilton is a good NT. I don't think it would be in the teams benefit to waste him as a 3-4 DE. After Abry Jones got hurt and Hamilton started at NT, we were much better against the run. He was showing steady improvement every week. It was after Hamilton got injured that the run defense dropped back off a cliff. Hamilton had several games where he was among the top rated DT's in the league for those games. I wanna see what he can do as a NT in 3-4, without just automatically kicking him outside. I think that would be a total waste of his talents. Woods can back him up at NT. 

Smoot doesn't need to gain weight. I know he is listed at 265 lbs., but there is absolutely no way that is true. They need to put him back on a scale. That guy is at least 280 lbs., probably larger. He's ideal for a 3-4 DE.

There is no reason to lie about his weight.

If anything, football teams exaggerate weight.

His speed and the way he plays fits right in for a 264 lb DE.

(01-28-2021, 11:47 AM)Predator Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 10:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Hamilton is a good NT. I don't think it would be in the teams benefit to waste him as a 3-4 DE. After Abry Jones got hurt and Hamilton started at NT, we were much better against the run. He was showing steady improvement every week. It was after Hamilton got injured that the run defense dropped back off a cliff. Hamilton had several games where he was among the top rated DT's in the league for those games. I wanna see what he can do as a NT in 3-4, without just automatically kicking him outside. I think that would be a total waste of his talents. Woods can back him up at NT. 

There is no reason to lie about his weight.

I never said or even implied they lied about his weight. At one time he did weigh 264 or 265 lbs. I'm saying he hasn't been on an official game scale in a long time, because there is no way he was playing at that weight. He was at least, 280 lbs. K'Lavon Chaisson is listed at the same height and only 10 lbs. lighter than Smoot. Put them side by side and tell me he's only 10 lbs. heavier than Chaisson. There is NO WAY!

(01-28-2021, 03:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 11:47 AM)Predator Wrote: There is no reason to lie about his weight.

I never said or even implied they lied about his weight. At one time he did weigh 264 or 265 lbs. I'm saying he hasn't been on an official game scale in a long time, because there is no way he was playing at that weight. He was at least, 280 lbs. K'Lavon Chaisson is listed at the same height and only 10 lbs. lighter than Smoot. Put them side by side and tell me he's only 10 lbs. heavier than Chaisson. There is NO WAY!

Smoot intentionally went from 270 to 286 pounds prior to the 2019 season to prepare to take snaps inside and because he felt the pounds he had previously dropped for "speed" didn't do anything to help him.  It was reported by several local sources. 

I've seen nothing to suggest he's altered tack since then. 

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/2019...reer-games

I think Smoot looked even bigger last year than he did in 2019 too. I think he's at the high end of that range or even pushing 300. He'd be a fine rotational 3-4 DE.

(01-28-2021, 04:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 03:54 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I never said or even implied they lied about his weight. At one time he did weigh 264 or 265 lbs. I'm saying he hasn't been on an official game scale in a long time, because there is no way he was playing at that weight. He was at least, 280 lbs. K'Lavon Chaisson is listed at the same height and only 10 lbs. lighter than Smoot. Put them side by side and tell me he's only 10 lbs. heavier than Chaisson. There is NO WAY!

Smoot intentionally went from 270 to 286 pounds prior to the 2019 season to prepare to take snaps inside and because he felt the pounds he had previously dropped for "speed" didn't do anything to help him.  It was reported by several local sources. 

I've seen nothing to suggest he's altered tack since then. 

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/2019...reer-games

That makes perfect sense.