Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stafford to Rams

Detroit is dealing QB Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for two future first-round picks, a third-round pick and QB Jared Goff, per sources. Two former No. 1 overall picks trading places in the first blockbuster NFL trade of 2021.

Terrible trade for LA. Gave up way too much.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Our first big trade in the offseason. I think there will definitely be more before and around the draft.

This is interesting. I do think that Jared Goff probably isn't happy. Sean McVay really helped Jared develop a lot after his very rough first season. I wonder how he will fare after being traded to the Lions.

I think that Matthew is probably pretty happy about this trade. I did see a report recently that said the Rams was a team he was interested in.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2021, 11:11 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

LOL Rams will be 4 years in a row without a first round pick?
I am guessing Lions still taking a QB, right? you just can't rely on Goff, much less on the Lions.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

As I posted in the other thread, how can the Rams think they have no need for 1st rounders anymore.

Basically they have 4 first rounders invested in 2 players at this point

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2021, 11:15 PM by mal234.)

(01-30-2021, 11:10 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: LOL Rams will be 4 years in a row without a first round pick?
I am guessing Lions still taking a QB, right? you just can't rely on Goff, much less on the Lions.

I just posted this in another thread but they are now going to go like seven years in a row without a first round pick (2017-2023.) I mean wow, lol.

Albert Breer on Twitter: "Unless they trade into the first round, this will means the Rams will have gone seven years without a first-round pick (2017-23) as parts of deals for Jared Goff, Brandin Cooks, Jalen Ramsey and Matthew Stafford (plus a trade down in 2019). Pretty unconventional." / Twitter

They going all in.

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2021, 11:15 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(01-30-2021, 11:10 PM)CSTblank Wrote: As I posted in the other thread, how can the Rams think they have no need for 1st rounders anymore.

TBF those picks will be low 1st rounders and at least 2 of 4 (if they had kept them) could very well end up being busts, instead they got Ramsey and a good QB. Still kinda funny though.
They will have a chance with Stafford but I don't think it will be enough to win a SB.

(01-30-2021, 11:11 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 11:10 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: LOL Rams will be 4 years in a row without a first round pick?

I just posted this in another thread but they are now going to go like seven years in a row without a first round pick 2017-2023. I mean wow, lol.

Albert Breer on Twitter: "Unless they trade into the first round, this will means the Rams will have gone seven years without a first-round pick (2017-23) as parts of deals for Jared Goff, Brandin Cooks, Jalen Ramsey and Matthew Stafford (plus a trade down in 2019). Pretty unconventional." / Twitter

Oh yeah, I forgot about those.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Will Sean McVay ever get to pick a player in the 1st round?

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2021, 11:31 PM by mal234.)

(01-30-2021, 11:14 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 11:10 PM)CSTblank Wrote: As I posted in the other thread, how can the Rams think they have no need for 1st rounders anymore.

TBF those picks will be low 1st rounders and at least 2 of 4 (if they had kept them) could very well end up being busts, instead they got Ramsey and a good QB. Still kinda funny though.
They will have a chance with Stafford but I don't think it will be enough to win a SB.

(01-30-2021, 11:11 PM)mal234 Wrote: I just posted this in another thread but they are now going to go like seven years in a row without a first round pick 2017-2023. I mean wow, lol.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those.

It will be interesting to see what happens. They did get to a Super Bowl with Jared Goff. Will they be able to do that with Matt? I don't know. They may have overall better QB play with Matt, but I'm not sure how far he will end up taking them. And they are in a tough competitive division too. 

Now with this trade happening, I have to wonder even more what type of haul the Texans may end up getting for DeShaun Watson.

The reactions are interesting. Some are convinced a QB who has never won a playoff game suddenly makes LA Super Bowl favorites. Can't buy that.

We need Robinhood to put a stop to these trades before Houston gets too much for Watson

Now Brunnel gets to fiz goff

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 01:02 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

WOW! I don't get this trade at all. It's like trading a mediocre QB and a ton of draft picks for a good, but certainly not great, QB. I've never thought of Stafford as an elite QB or even a very good one for that matter. To me, he's more on the level of what Mark Brunell was. That isn't bad, but there is no way Detroit should've gotten that much. I was thinking maybe they'd get a 1st and a 4th or 5th rounder. Instead, they just hit the powerball. I don't think this trade will effect the Rams offense much at all. I still see them as a defense first team, but they will be drastically effected by what they are able to do in the future, since they have given up so many picks.

As for the Lions, they can basically re-build, but Goff's huge contract is gonna be problematic. Put him on a Detroit team with a so-so O-Line, a subpar running game and all of their best receivers are free agents, so he may not have anyone to throw to and that offense is gonna be lethargic. I don't see the lions spending a high pick on a QB now, since Goff basically has to be the starter, now that they are paying him so much. There is an out in his contract after the 2022 season, but until then, he is their guy. Maybe they will select a mid round QB like a Kellen Mond or Ian Book, but they are locked in with Goff as the starter. Personally, I would've tried to make the trade without getting Goff involved, but that's probably why the Rams gave up so much. Nobody else was willing to take on his contract.

Can you imagine what Watson is gonna command? If Stafford got the Lions this much, Watson should bring in like 4 first round picks.

Lions basically got that second 1st round pick to take on Goff and eat his $43m+. Not really for Stafford himself.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...7356119040
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/statu...5508184065

I think the trade is fair, the lions are Goffs bad contract, and the Rams got a QB I expect to be much better than Goff for at least 4 years. Watson will likely not do better because his contract is much worse, even tho he is more intriguing as a younger QB.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Apparently the Rams don’t like 1st Round Picks

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 01:54 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

(01-31-2021, 01:51 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Apparently the Rams don’t like 1st Round Picks

I mean would you give a couple low first round picks for hall of fame level talent? That’s the question, and yes I think Stanford will be that level on a team like the rams instead of the lions. Obviously Ramsey is the other one. I don’t know of any GM who consistently hits that level of talent in the late first round. Draft picks are valued too high in the NFL sometimes. It’s not like the NBA where there is usually a huge drop off between the first pick and the next.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 05:37 AM by Predator.)

I understand it will free up 25 mil next year on their salary cap, but giving up 2 firsts, a third, and Goff for a guy like Stafford, who I don't think is that much better than Goff, seems way too much.

The lions could keep him one year and then cut him and it wouldn't really be that much different of a cap hit than when we parted with Bortles, but they will have 2 extra first round picks and a third to show for it.

Stafford could potentially resurrect his career with the rams, but at this point it seems like the lions got a great deal.

I guess the way to look at it is that the Rams paid the Lions to take Goff's contract. For the Lions it won't matter as much since they're in another rebuild again. If Goff turns out good in their system then even better.