Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Jags draft class

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 11:52 PM by navyjagfan.)

31. [font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]Jacksonville Jaguars[/font]
Why they're ranked here: Both of Jacksonville's first-round selections -- cornerback [font=Georgia,]CJ Henderson (No. 9 overall) and defensive end K'Lavon Chaisson(No. 20 overall) -- generated value well below expectation this season. The most concerning of the two is Chaisson, as he finished sixth-to-last among all edge rushers in PFF grade this season at 49.7.[/font]
How their top pick fared: Henderson made a lot of noise in his NFL debut back in Week 1 with an 84.2 PFF grade, an interception and three pass breakups against the Indianapolis Colts. He was unable to find that kind of success again in 2020. The cornerback was limited to only seven more games in 2020 due to injury, and none of those seven single-game PFF grades came within 15 grading points of his Week 1 outing.
Best value pick: [font=Georgia,]Laviska Shenault Jr. (No. 42 overall) was the only positive rookie performer for Jacksonville this season. He flashed the same running back-esque elusiveness that we saw from him back in his days at Colorado, as his 16 broken tackles after the catch were eighth-best among NFL wide receivers. The second-round rookie tacked on six more broken tackles on 18 runs. There weren't really any "blow-up" performances from Shenault this season, but he was impressive at the catch point. His grade on contested targets was the 12th-best in the league, and his 72.2% contested catch rate ranked second.[/font]

Gotta love this final kiss goodbye from Dave Caldwell.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Big miss considering Mekhi Becton was still on the board.

The good news is they sucked so bad that we're going to get Trevor Lawrence.

(01-31-2021, 11:51 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: 31. [font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]Jacksonville Jaguars[/font]
Why they're ranked here: Both of Jacksonville's first-round selections -- cornerback [font=Georgia,]CJ Henderson (No. 9 overall) and defensive end K'Lavon Chaisson(No. 20 overall) -- generated value well below expectation this season. The most concerning of the two is Chaisson, as he finished sixth-to-last among all edge rushers in PFF grade this season at 49.7.[/font]
How their top pick fared: Henderson made a lot of noise in his NFL debut back in Week 1 with an 84.2 PFF grade, an interception and three pass breakups against the Indianapolis Colts. He was unable to find that kind of success again in 2020. The cornerback was limited to only seven more games in 2020 due to injury, and none of those seven single-game PFF grades came within 15 grading points of his Week 1 outing.
Best value pick: [font=Georgia,]Laviska Shenault Jr. (No. 42 overall) was the only positive rookie performer for Jacksonville this season. He flashed the same running back-esque elusiveness that we saw from him back in his days at Colorado, as his 16 broken tackles after the catch were eighth-best among NFL wide receivers. The second-round rookie tacked on six more broken tackles on 18 runs. There weren't really any "blow-up" performances from Shenault this season, but he was impressive at the catch point. His grade on contested targets was the 12th-best in the league, and his 72.2% contested catch rate ranked second.[/font]

Weird! according to some people here DC made the perfect picks  Rolleyes
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Listen I’m not saying we have All Pros or anything but I’m not as down as everyone else is Chaisson’s overall grade may be low but his second half of the season was VERY good (please don’t give me sack stats). CJ Henderson proved he can play very well, I expect a jump in year 2. Davon Hamilton looks like a starter for us. Laviska Shenault and Collin Johnson both showed they belonged in the league. Iron sharpens iron, let’s get some vets, competition, and overall better talent and coaching in the building and we won’t be looking like the 31st class.

Chaisson will be great. Plus, Trevor Lawrence.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021, 07:21 AM by CanDoBetter.)

Chaisson improved during the season. It's also obvious that people can't see it's a difference between a 20th overall and like 3-9 where we usually pick. If he continues to improve I'm not too worried. He won't end up in Canton but can he be a productive player? I believe so.

I'm a little bit more concerned about Henderson but since whoever else played corner was absolute trash it's hard to know how much of that was on him.

Shenault was good and contributed immediately. Can't expect more really. Johnson also but on a lesser scale.

Claybrooks flashed a couple of times but also made a few glaring mistakes. On the other hand he's a 7th rounder. I don't expect too much.

The other draft picks were anonymous or only noticed when they made mistakes. I forgot about Hamilton... he improved the line in his short time there but since he was quickly injured I don't know yet. New chance to impress next season.

Don’t agree with this assessment. Don’t get me wrong, Henderson and Chaisson concern me although both showed flashes for us to hold out hope on! Not counting the UDFA. Hamilton, Shenault, Johnson all performed to where you would expect them to based on the round they were picked in, if not above that. A lot of the others were late round picks or need some developing. I reckon 31/32 is a little harsh. I don’t by any stretch say it was amazing though.

(02-01-2021, 12:48 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 11:51 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: 31. [font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial,]Jacksonville Jaguars[/font]

Show me just one.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

The draft was universally lauded by analysts as a very good draft by the Jaguars at the time.

Of course there is also that pesky little fact that you often can't accurately predict a player's career arc by merely assessing his rookie performance. 

I also remember much of this board not loving the Henderson pick but it "made sense" due to the run on corners that happened almost immediately following the pick.  Hard to know if he'll end up a good pick at 9 or not at this point.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of Hamilton and Shenault as they showed great potential and obviously good things could still come from several others selected last year. Chaisson flashed late in the season, CJ showed a high ceiling but inconsistency. Don't really know what we have in Quarterman, Bartch and a few others just yet.

You can't really judge a draft class by their rookie season. Let's see where these guys are in 3 years. More concerning IMO is Taven Bryan.

(02-01-2021, 12:48 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Weird! according to some people here DC made the perfect picks  Rolleyes

Wanna cite your source on that hyperbole?

I do believe our draft class was amongst the worst, which I said at the time. The fact that a majority of our board knew one of the OTs + Jefferson + Winfield was a perfect route spoke measures considering we are usually so disagreeable.

That said, they could have given us some extra credit for the undrafted part of the class. Robinson and to an extent Costin would have bumped up the grade a handful of spots.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021, 11:20 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(02-01-2021, 08:36 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 12:48 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Weird! according to some people here DC made the perfect picks  Rolleyes

Show me just one.

I had an argument with someone about that, it is the in college forum. Look it up if you are that interested

I don't know why you keep doing this, I don't give a crap if you believe it or not...

(02-01-2021, 10:34 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Wanna cite your source on that hyperbole?

Nope, I don't wanna, much less for someone like you
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Imagine if we went mekhi beckton and justin jefferson

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021, 04:16 PM by RicoTx.)

(02-01-2021, 11:19 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 08:36 AM)RicoTx Wrote:  Show me just one.

I had an argument with someone about that, it is the in college forum. Look it up if you are that interested

I don't know why you keep doing this, I don't give a crap if you believe it or not...

(02-01-2021, 10:34 AM)Mikey Wrote: Wanna cite your source on that hyperbole?

You said it, it's not up to me to look it up Mr. Hyperbole.

You are among the worst at over-exaggerating something to try to make a point.  That's why 'I keep doing this'.  But it's nice that you don't give a crap since you keep responding back to me and all.  

Keep up the fine work.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-01-2021, 11:28 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Imagine if we went mekhi beckton and justin jefferson

I imagine we wouldn't be picking first overall.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(02-01-2021, 01:50 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 11:28 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Imagine if we went mekhi beckton and justin jefferson

I imagine we wouldn't be picking first overall.

Urban would not be coaching the Jags as well.

(02-01-2021, 12:48 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

The moment Caldwell was fired the team instantly got better.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(02-01-2021, 11:19 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 08:36 AM)RicoTx Wrote:  Show me just one.

(02-01-2021, 10:34 AM)Mikey Wrote: Wanna cite your source on that hyperbole?

So now it's gone from some people to an argument with one person.

By the time we find the proof, it will be that someone liked the Henderson pick.

(02-01-2021, 11:51 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 11:19 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I had an argument with someone about that, it is the in college forum. Look it up if you are that interested

You said it, it's not up to me to look it up Mr. Hyperbole.

You are among the worst at over-exaggerating something to try to make a point.  That's why 'I keep doing this'.  But it's nice that you don't give a crap since you keep responding back to me and all.  

Keep up the fine work.

If you say so Smile

(02-01-2021, 02:30 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:

The moment Caldwell was fired the team instantly got better.

Dude, we lost our last 4 games by a total score of 140 - 55 but yes, the prior 2 games (vs the Vikings and Browns) almost screwed up everything.