Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Schottenheimer agrees to be Jags Passing Game Coordinator?

I have no idea what that position is but ok...
https://www.nfl.com/news/former-seahawks...rs-passing
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I dunno, kind of a combined QBs and wide receivers coach maybe.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Apparently he’ll also be the QB coach as well.

One thing is for certain, Trevor Lawrence won't suffer from lack of coaching in Jacksonville.

Schottenheimer: (speaks to the media) They brought me in to stand around on the side lines. Look like an experienced coach in some way. Beats play calling. And who wouldn't want to be paid just to stand around?

Several teams employ specialized coaches under their OC and/or DC that help facilitate running game or passing game.

This is nothing new, nor is it a symbolic position.

Duties that sometimes fall within the scope of a passing game coordinator can include:
doubling as the WR coach
Designing plays for redzone passing and third down passing
Calling pass plays in-game for the above situations
Working closely with the QB coach to translate the players' skillset to effective plays and play calling

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2021, 10:35 AM by p_rushing.)

(02-02-2021, 09:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Several teams employ specialized coaches under their OC and/or DC that help facilitate running game or passing game.

Duties that sometimes fall within the scope of a passing game coordinator can include:
doubling as the WR coach
Working closely with the QB coach to translate the players' skillset to effective plays and play calling

It's a made up title to keep coaches, mainly in college, from being able to leave or to elevate title when needed. It is mostly symbolic, but it does help show the coach is working with the OC on passing (WR, TE, QB) to make it all work.

It really just is given to a more experienced coach who a position coach title would hurt their ego. Saying WR or QB coach who helps with passing game (you know actually doing your job) doesn't sound as good as Passing game coordinator.

(02-02-2021, 10:33 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 09:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Several teams employ specialized coaches under their OC and/or DC that help facilitate running game or passing game.

doubling as the WR coach

It's a made up title to keep coaches, mainly in college, from being able to leave or to elevate title when needed. It is mostly symbolic, but it does help show the coach is working with the OC on passing (WR, TE, QB) to make it all work.

It really just is given to a more experienced coach who a position coach title would hurt their ego. Saying WR or QB coach who helps with passing game (you know actually doing your job) doesn't sound as good as Passing game coordinator.

I'm sure that may be the case on some teams, but it isn't universal. 

Jags are set to hire an OC, WR coach, QB coach AND a OPGC. And they aren't the only team doing this. There is no redundancy like you describe in that arrangement. The passing game coordinator stands on his own aside from the other position coaches and coordinators. It's not an add on title. It's a job.

It's the same think Mike Lafleur was in SF.

He did a really nice job as OC up in Seattle but I'm getting a bit worried with all these hires and these ubiquitous job titles. 

Just seems once again we will not be sure who is and isnt responsible for what.

(02-02-2021, 11:34 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: He did a really nice job as OC up in Seattle but I'm getting a bit worried with all these hires and these ubiquitous job titles. 

And why is that important?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-02-2021, 11:34 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: He did a really nice job as OC up in Seattle but I'm getting a bit worried with all these hires and these ubiquitous job titles. 

I honestly believe he would've been a much better hire for the OC job than Bevell.

Meyer is responsible. All I need to know.

(02-02-2021, 11:38 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

So the board tards have some target to rage type against.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(02-02-2021, 10:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 10:33 AM)p_rushing Wrote: It's a made up title to keep coaches, mainly in college, from being able to leave or to elevate title when needed. It is mostly symbolic, but it does help show the coach is working with the OC on passing (WR, TE, QB) to make it all work.

I'm sure that may be the case on some teams, but it isn't universal. 

Jags are set to hire an OC, WR coach, QB coach AND a OPGC. And they aren't the only team doing this. There is no redundancy like you describe in that arrangement. The passing game coordinator stands on his own aside from the other position coaches and coordinators. It's not an add on title. It's a job.

Regarding the bolded bits, I'm reading two conflicting reports about this hire today.

One says he'll be the OPGC as well as the QB coach, which supports your explanation.

Another says he'll be the OPGC and they are hiring a separate QB coach.

So, we'll have to see if it's more of a title  as you suggest, or more of a stand alone job in the end. 
Meyer said they'd make official the staff hirings this week, so hopefully we'll know soon.

(02-02-2021, 03:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 10:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm sure that may be the case on some teams, but it isn't universal. 

Regarding the bolded bits, I'm reading two conflicting reports about this hire today.

One says he'll be the OPGC as well as the QB coach, which supports your explanation.

Another says he'll be the OPGC and they are hiring a separate QB coach.

So, we'll have to see if it's more of a title  as you suggest, or more of a stand alone job in the end. 
Meyer said they'd make official the staff hirings this week, so hopefully we'll know soon.
It doesn't matter in the NFL, they can have how many they want unlike college where there is a limit. He may not have 1 position responsibility and his title may actually be assistant to the OC, assistant OC, etc. Passing game coordinator just sounds better than a HC becoming an assistant to a coordinator.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Sucks to be Khan having to pay all these cats and the outgoing chumps as well. Lot of money going out there man.

To many chiefs?
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2021, 05:37 PM by JagFan81.)

(02-02-2021, 11:38 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

Because I want this staff accountable. The line of where Coughlin finished and Caldwell started and finished and Marrone began was never clear and people drew their own conclusions as to who was responsible for what. Take the Foles situation, an absolute mess that no one knew what was going on.

(02-02-2021, 11:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I honestly believe he would've been a much better hire for the OC job than Bevell.

He seemed to do a better job in Seattle than Bevell did but with less weapons, no Lynch and no all time great D.

(02-02-2021, 04:48 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Sucks to be Khan having to pay all these cats and the outgoing chumps as well. Lot of money going out there man.

To many chiefs?

It's actually a lot more expensive to make player personnel mistakes such as bring back Bortles for an additional year at $17 million.  Heck, we spent $9.6 million on Dante Moncrief's 1-year vacation in Jacksonville.

(02-02-2021, 05:36 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 11:38 AM)RicoTx Wrote: And why is that important?

Because I want this staff accountable. The line of where Coughlin finished and Caldwell started and finished and Marrone began was never clear and people drew their own conclusions as to who was responsible for what. Take the Foles situation, an absolute mess that no one knew what was going on.

(02-02-2021, 11:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I honestly believe he would've been a much better hire for the OC job than Bevell.

He seemed to do a better job in Seattle than Bevell did but with less weapons, no Lynch and no all time great D.

So because fans 'know who is responsible' that is somehow going to make someone more 'accountable'?  Really?  And accountable to who?  

I seriously doubt a bunch of fans hooting and hollering is going to make one iota of difference...and shouldn't.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]