Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade Up Hypothetical

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2021, 04:44 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-10-2021, 03:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 03:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It depends on who our target would be. If Christian Darrisaw or Rashawn Slater were still on the board and they were our target, I would absolutely do that. I probably wouldn't if we were targeting any other position.

(03-10-2021, 03:17 PM)Upper Wrote: I'd do it probably. One of Farley, Surtain, Slater, or Darrisaw will be there.

I would add Pitts to the list.
He's number 1 if he falls a little for some reason

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Parsons and Surtain are the other 2 I would do it for

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 12:43 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Looking at all the teams picking ahead of us in the draft and seeing how so many of them have a need at OT, I am changing my stance on trading up. Normally, I am totally against trading up and more often than not, I'm an advocate for trading down. This situation is different though. In the last 2 seasons Cam Robinson has given up the 2nd most QB pressures in the NFL and Jawaan Taylor has given up the most, by a significant margin. We HAVE to upgrade at least one of them. I would package pick #25 and #33 to get up as high as we possibly can to target Penei Sewell, Rashawn Slater or Christian Darrisaw. I'd even throw in Taylor as well. Many of us have absolutely no faith that our current OT duo will keep Lawrence safe in 2021.

(03-19-2021, 12:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Looking at all the teams picking ahead of us in the draft and seeing how so many of them have a need at OT, I am changing my stance on trading up. Normally, I am totally against trading up and more often than not, I'm an advocate for trading down. This situation is different though. In the last 2 seasons Cam Robinson has given up the 2nd most QB pressures in the NFL and Jawaan Taylor has given up the most, by a significant margin. We HAVE to upgrade at least one of them. I would package pick #25 and #33 to get up as high as we possibly can to target Penei Sewell, Rashawn Slater or Christian Darrisaw. I'd even throw in Taylor as well. Many of us have absolutely no faith that our current OT duo will keep Lawrence safe in 2021.
Naw, if we are moving up it has to be for Pitts.  Which I know we won't move up that far

(03-19-2021, 08:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Looking at all the teams picking ahead of us in the draft and seeing how so many of them have a need at OT, I am changing my stance on trading up. Normally, I am totally against trading up and more often than not, I'm an advocate for trading down. This situation is different though. In the last 2 seasons Cam Robinson has given up the 2nd most QB pressures in the NFL and Jawaan Taylor has given up the most, by a significant margin. We HAVE to upgrade at least one of them. I would package pick #25 and #33 to get up as high as we possibly can to target Penei Sewell, Rashawn Slater or Christian Darrisaw. I'd even throw in Taylor as well. Many of us have absolutely no faith that our current OT duo will keep Lawrence safe in 2021.
Naw, if we are moving up it has to be for Pitts.  Which I know we won't move up that far

....2 years ago the Lions drafted sure-fire, can't miss TE prospect TJ Hockenson 8th, pairing him with a franchise QB in Matt Stafford. This year, the Lions pick 7th.

TE isn't the miracle fix, no way I would give away the farm to move up for Pitts.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 09:55 AM by JagswinJagswin.)

Since QB is the #1 pick and the Jags have so many needs, the ONLY player I am trading my #25 & #33 for is a starting LT caliber player. IMO for this team to be successful it HAS to have an upgrade at a minimum of 2 OL positions, 3 would be better. The way it appears at the moment, we aren't upgrading any.

(03-19-2021, 08:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I'd rather have at least one competent OT over a TE.

(03-19-2021, 09:39 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 08:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Naw, if we are moving up it has to be for Pitts.  Which I know we won't move up that far

....2 years ago the Lions drafted sure-fire, can't miss TE prospect TJ Hockenson 8th, pairing him with a franchise QB in Matt Stafford. This year, the Lions pick 7th.

TE isn't the miracle fix, no way I would give away the farm to move up for Pitts.
Also.... who’s the last TE drafted really high that was a massive game changer?

Vernon Davis, Winslow JR, Ebron, Hock.... definitely didn’t live up to their lofty draft pick.

(03-19-2021, 09:39 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 08:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Naw, if we are moving up it has to be for Pitts.  Which I know we won't move up that far

We drafted the sure fire can't miss pass rusher 1 pick before and we are picking first.  No 1 position is a miracle fix, it's a team game but if I'm trading up i.wamt to get the best player.  I said *if we are moving up

We can't trade up high enough to get Pitts. We could trade up high enough to get Slater or Darrisaw if they make it to the teens.

I am also more than happy to take Cosmi at 25.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 02:24 PM by Bullseye.)

As I said in a thread in the main forum, the one position that makes sense to move up for from a positional, draft choice compensation and a financial standpoint is T.

Tackles, especially left tackles, usually populate the top half of the first round every year.  However, this is an unusual year in that there are possibly four, maybe even five QBs that will be drafted in the top ten.  In fact, it's possible the top four picks will be QBs.

1.  Jaguars-Trevor Lawrence
2.  Jets-  Zack Wilson
3.  Miami-----???
4.  Atlanta
5.  Cincinnati
6.  Eagles
7.  Detroit
8.  Carolina
9.  Denver
10.  Dallas
11.  N.Y. Giants
12.  San Francisco
13.  L.A. Charger
14.  Minnesota

One strange thing about this draft is that the teams from picks 2-5 arguably do not have need at LT.  The Jets have Mekhi Becton who played well at LT.  Miami just drafted Jackson last year.  Atlanta has Jake Matthews signed and sealed, and Cincinnati just signed Riley Reiff.  While Philly at 6 could use a LT, Detroit is pretty solid at LT with Decker.

The way I see it, the highest we could possibly trade up is #3 to Miami.  But the likelihood of that happening is low, because QB starved teams will look to get into that spot to get one of the top four signal callers.  Miami would likely get more from them to not fall so far.  I would assume either Carolina, Houston (if they trade Watson) or, at worst, San Francisco moves up into that spot. 

Accordingly, I think the 6, 7 and 8 slots represent the best chances to move up into the top ten, and of those slots, Detroit would be the sweet spot.  First, Detroit has, at least in the short term, their QB spot secure with Goff.  I am not a fan, but their new GM came over from the Rams, and he helped draft him there.  Second, they are set at LT.  Their biggest needs are WR and LB, both of which are positions that, in this draft, can be found later.  Furthermore, thanks to the Stafford-Goff trade, they are loaded with high picks the next two years.  They could make it three years with a lot of higher picks by trading back.

According to trade value charts like this one https://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php , the #7 pick is worth 1500 points.  The Jaguars could send the #25 (720 points), #45 (450) and #65 (265) and get the Lions #7 and roughly a 4th.  That would still leave the Jaguars with the #33 in the second round.  I would be willing to leave off the 4th in return if we could keep #33, because we could always trade back from 33 and recoup a 3rd or add an extra 4th, depending on how far we move back.

To get to Cincy at 5 (1700 points), we'd have to give up #25 (720) and both second round picks-#33 (580) and #45 (450) just based on the trade value chart.  But considering there still may be teams like Carolina and San Francisco angling to trade up to to get to Cincy's spot, depending on what happens with the QBs, it could be more expensive because they may not want to move that far back.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-19-2021, 01:53 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

As I said in a thread in the main forum, the one position that makes sense to move up for from a positional, draft choice compensation and a financial standpoint is T.

Tackles, especially left tackles, usually populate the top half of the first round every year.  However, this is an unusual year in that there are possibly four, maybe even five QBs that will be drafted in the top ten.  In fact, it's possible the top four picks will be QBs.

1.  Jaguars-Trevor Lawrence
2.  Jets-  Zack Wilson
3.  Miami-----???
4.  Atlanta
5.  Cincinnati
6.  Eagles
7.  Detroit
8.  Carolina
9.  Denver
10.  Dallas
11.  N.Y. Giants
12.  San Francisco
13.  L.A. Charger
14.  Minnesota

One strange thing about this draft is that the teams from picks 2-5 arguably do not have need at LT.  The Jets have Mekhi Becton who played well at LT.  Miami just drafted Jackson last year.  Atlanta has Jake Matthews signed and sealed, and Cincinnati just signed Riley Reiff.  While Philly at 6 could use a LT, Detroit is pretty solid at LT with Decker.

The way I see it, the highest we could possibly trade up is #3 to Miami.  But the likelihood of that happening is low, because QB starved teams will look to get into that spot to get one of the top four signal callers.  Miami would likely get more from them to not fall so far.  I would assume either Carolina, Houston (if they trade Watson) or, at worst, San Francisco moves up into that spot. 

Accordingly, I think the 6, 7 and 8 slots represent the best chances to move up into the top ten, and of those slots, Detroit would be the sweet spot.  First, Detroit has, at least in the short term, their QB spot secure with Goff.  I am not a fan, but their new GM came over from the Rams, and he helped draft him there.  Second, they are set at LT.  Their biggest needs are WR and LB, both of which are positions that, in this draft, can be found later.  Furthermore, thanks to the Stafford-Goff trade, they are loaded with high picks the next two years.  They could make it three years with a lot of higher picks by trading back.

According to trade value charts like this one https://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php , the #7 pick is worth 1500 points.  The Jaguars could send the #25 (720 points), #45 (450) and #65 (265) and get the Lions #7 and roughly a 4th.  That would still leave the Jaguars with the #33 in the second round.  I would be willing to leave off the 4th in return if we could keep #33, because we could always trade back from 33 and recoup a 3rd or add an extra 4th, depending on how far we move back.

To get to Cincy at 5 (1700 points), we'd have to give up #25 (720) and both second round picks-#33 (580) and #45 (450) just based on the trade value chart.  But considering there still may be teams like Carolina and San Francisco angling to trade up to to get to Cincy's spot, depending on what happens with the QBs, it could be more expensive because they may not want to move that far back.

A trade along the lines of pick # 7 for pick # 25, # 45, and # 65 would be one I hope the Lions make, with the possible exception that LSU WR JaMarr Chase is still available with pick # 7. 

In addition to WR and LB, with Safety and Nickel CB also currently huge Lions needs, a trade like this would be a great fit for the long term building process of the new regime.

(03-19-2021, 12:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 09:39 AM)Mikey Wrote: ....2 years ago the Lions drafted sure-fire, can't miss TE prospect TJ Hockenson 8th, pairing him with a franchise QB in Matt Stafford. This year, the Lions pick 7th.

Also.... who’s the last TE drafted really high that was a massive game changer?

Vernon Davis, Winslow JR, Ebron, Hock.... definitely didn’t live up to their lofty draft pick.

I'd probably say Tony Gonzalez, and he went around 16 if memory serves.

(03-19-2021, 03:52 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Also.... who’s the last TE drafted really high that was a massive game changer?

I'd probably say Tony Gonzalez, and he went around 16 if memory serves.
Pitts is no doubt a good prospect but I’m not trading up for him at all. 

I would rather stay where we are and take the value that falls.

(03-19-2021, 12:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 09:39 AM)Mikey Wrote: ....2 years ago the Lions drafted sure-fire, can't miss TE prospect TJ Hockenson 8th, pairing him with a franchise QB in Matt Stafford. This year, the Lions pick 7th.

We drafted the sure fire can't miss pass rusher 1 pick before and we are picking first.  No 1 position is a miracle fix, it's a team game but if I'm trading up i.wamt to get the best player.  I said *if we are moving up

Agreed, which is why I'm taking of of those OT's.

(03-19-2021, 04:23 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 12:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We drafted the sure fire can't miss pass rusher 1 pick before and we are picking first.  No 1 position is a miracle fix, it's a team game but if I'm trading up i.wamt to get the best player.  I said *if we are moving up

Agreed, which is why I'm taking of of those OT's.

So what would you rather do...trade up to 5 to get Sewell, or say 7 for Slater or Darrisaw?

No way is Urban gonna trade up that higher and it would take more than 25,33,63 and Cann to move up almost 20 spots

If Urbam wanted to trade up high into the first and take a tackle he wouldn't of tagged Cam

(03-19-2021, 07:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Urbam wanted to trade up high into the first and take a tackle he wouldn't of tagged Cam

He might for the same reasons he tagged cam in free agency.

At this stage there is no guarantee a trade up can be executed, much less one high enough to land a top 5-6 pick.  Letting him walk without any assurance of a preferable alternative would be a bad idea.

(03-19-2021, 07:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 07:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Urbam wanted to trade up high into the first and take a tackle he wouldn't of tagged Cam

He might for the same reasons he tagged cam in free agency.

At this stage there is no guarantee a trade up can be executed, much less one high enough to land a top 5-6 pick.  Letting him walk without any assurance of a preferable alternative would be a bad idea.

Lol, it's not gonna happen.  A great player will be there at 25 and we will get another great player at 33