Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Social Dilemma

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2021, 09:08 PM by RicoTx.)

Has anybody seen this on Netflix?  As someone in the IT field I found it quite eye-opening and pretty damn scary.

This Political Forum was one of the first things that came to mind when watching it.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I haven't watched it, but I listened to a podcast with the creator of Social Dilemma, and I agree with you... pretty scary stuff.

(02-03-2021, 08:49 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Has anybody seen this on Netflix?  As someone in the IT field I found it quite eye-opening and pretty damn scary.

This Political Forum was one of the first things that came to mind when watching it.

Just read the synopsis of it...I’m shocked they actually let that movie be made! Ninja
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(02-03-2021, 10:34 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:49 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Has anybody seen this on Netflix?  As someone in the IT field I found it quite eye-opening and pretty damn scary.

Just read the synopsis of it...I’m shocked they actually let that movie be made! Ninja

Watch it.  It's worse.

Dale Gribble was ahead of his time..

https://youtu.be/enBllfqkMEw
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I watched about half of it then got bored but it is freaky how much big tech controls people without our knowledge. And sells our information. I rarely use apps which makes things more time consuming but those things are gathering information they don't need.

(02-04-2021, 12:20 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I watched about half of it then got bored but it is freaky how much big tech controls people without our knowledge. And sells our information. I rarely use apps which makes things more time consuming but those things are gathering information they don't need.

If you use Google, you're using an app that is gathering your information.

I only use Google when I really need to find something that isn't related to right wing politics.

If you use Alexa or any other smart home automation device, you are being spied on. Heck, even turning off your microphone setting in Facebook and Twitter doesn't work. I will have random ads popup of things the wife and I discussed.

I used to be a real "tech geek" and in some ways I still am.  I saw where technology and social media were headed roughly 5-10 years ago and got away from it.  In my opinion it has gotten very evil.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I’ve just never had an interest in being on social media. I’ve got a Twitter account and that’s it. I’ve never tweeted. I just follow the sports journalists. Mainly for FA updates since I was in the hospital during free agency for 3 days while my kid was being born. Had one hand on my phone, the other under the wife’s hoohaa. Occasionally looking away from my phone to see if there was a baby in the other. Those three days were the opening of FA. So don’t judge. Besides, those 3 days in the hospital were the best and most expensive vacation I’ve ever taken.

(02-04-2021, 07:03 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve just never had an interest in being on social media.  I’ve got a Twitter account and that’s it.  I’ve never tweeted.  I just follow the sports journalists.  Mainly for FA updates since I was in the hospital during free agency for 3 days while my kid was being born.  Had one hand on my phone, the other under the wife’s hoohaa.  Occasionally looking away from my phone to see if there was a baby in the other.  Those three days were the opening of FA.  So don’t judge.  Besides, those 3 days in the hospital were the best and most expensive vacation I’ve ever taken.

That's part of the problem the thing..  Everyone has their "hand on the phone" no matter what.  People's phones have basically become an "extension" of themselves.  I'm not judging you, but what is more important.  The birth of your child or the latest FA acquisition in the NFL?

When I was in the Navy if you went out to a "smoking area" people were talking, joking and communicating with each other.  When I walk by the "smoking area" at my job today there will be 10-15 military members all staring down at their phones in their own little space.  The only time you see anyone interact is to show someone else what they have on their phone (I suspect a youtube video, a tweet from a twit or something on facebook/instagram).

I've seen it around people and my friends.  We can be having a conversation about something and if you use the "magic words" and say "I wonder if", instantly everyone is looking it up to see what Google or Wikapedia tells them.

Technology/social media is evil.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2021, 08:36 PM by Jags.)

(02-04-2021, 07:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 07:03 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ve just never had an interest in being on social media.  I’ve got a Twitter account and that’s it.  I’ve never tweeted.  I just follow the sports journalists.  Mainly for FA updates since I was in the hospital during free agency for 3 days while my kid was being born.  Had one hand on my phone, the other under the wife’s hoohaa.  Occasionally looking away from my phone to see if there was a baby in the other.  Those three days were the opening of FA.  So don’t judge.  Besides, those 3 days in the hospital were the best and most expensive vacation I’ve ever taken.

That's part of the problem the thing..  Everyone has their "hand on the phone" no matter what.  People's phones have basically become an "extension" of themselves.  I'm not judging you, but what is more important.  The birth of your child or the latest FA acquisition in the NFL?

When I was in the Navy if you went out to a "smoking area" people were talking, joking and communicating with each other.  When I walk by the "smoking area" at my job today there will be 10-15 military members all staring down at their phones in their own little space.  The only time you see anyone interact is to show someone else what they have on their phone (I suspect a youtube video, a tweet from a twit or something on facebook/instagram).

I've seen it around people and my friends.  We can be having a conversation about something and if you use the "magic words" and say "I wonder if", instantly everyone is looking it up to see what Google or Wikapedia tells them.

I’ll be honest, I only read the first paragraph.    But whoah!!!!  If anyone literally did what I said... they’re probably pieces of [BLEEP].  I pride myself on not being one.  If you haven’t learned, there’s truth in everything I post.  But not everything I post is 100% truth.  The baby was born during FA.  That’s true.  I downloaded and kept an eye on the acquisitions, that’s true.  But did I actually put my offspring second to some dip [BLEEP] [BLEEP] team that can’t win a [BLEEP] game??  C’mon now.  But I really enjoyed staying in the “suit” they provided us and keeping tabs on the FA acquisitions in the night/slow times.  

Good grief.  I guess I need to shove a stick up my [BLEEP] and be 100% serious around here.  My phone could be put in a wood chipper and I’d probably be happy.  He’ll, I’m on this board for 1 reason, get Jaguar info and not be serious.

(02-04-2021, 08:12 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 07:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: That's part of the problem the thing..  Everyone has their "hand on the phone" no matter what.  People's phones have basically become an "extension" of themselves.  I'm not judging you, but what is more important.  The birth of your child or the latest FA acquisition in the NFL?

I’ll be honest, I only read the first paragraph.    But whoah!!!!  If anyone literally did what I said... they’re probably pieces of [BLEEP].  I pride myself on not being one.  If you haven’t learned, there’s truth in everything I post.  But not everything I post is 100% truth.  The baby was born during FA.  That’s true.  I downloaded and kept an eye on the acquisitions, that’s true.  But did I actually put my offspring second to some dip [BLEEP] [BLEEP] team that can’t win a [BLEEP] game??  C’mon now.  But I really enjoyed staying in the “suit” they provided us and keeping tabs on the FA acquisitions in the night/slow times.  

Good grief.  I guess I need to shove a stick up my [BLEEP] and be 100% serious around here.  My phone could be put in a wood chipper and I’d probably be happy.  He’ll, I’m on this board for 1 reason, get Jaguar info and not be serious.

Sorry.  I didn't mean to trigger you.

(02-04-2021, 08:12 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 07:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: That's part of the problem the thing..  Everyone has their "hand on the phone" no matter what.  People's phones have basically become an "extension" of themselves.  I'm not judging you, but what is more important.  The birth of your child or the latest FA acquisition in the NFL?

Seriously?

(02-05-2021, 01:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 08:12 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ll be honest, I only read the first paragraph.    But whoah!!!!  If anyone literally did what I said... they’re probably pieces of [BLEEP].  I pride myself on not being one.  If you haven’t learned, there’s truth in everything I post.  But not everything I post is 100% truth.  The baby was born during FA.  That’s true.  I downloaded and kept an eye on the acquisitions, that’s true.  But did I actually put my offspring second to some dip [BLEEP] [BLEEP] team that can’t win a [BLEEP] game??  C’mon now.  But I really enjoyed staying in the “suit” they provided us and keeping tabs on the FA acquisitions in the night/slow times.  

Sorry.  I didn't mean to trigger you.

Online anonymity or not, I’m not going to let someone think I actually put my family aside for FA.  Figured that would go without saying.  Other than that, everyone can think whatever the hell they want about me. So, yeah, it pissed me off.  Guess I’m a snowflake.

(02-05-2021, 02:35 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 01:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Sorry.  I didn't mean to trigger you.

Online anonymity or not, I’m not going to let someone think I actually put my family aside for FA.  Figured that would go without saying.  Other than that, everyone can think whatever the hell they want about me. So, yeah, it pissed me off.  Guess I’m a snowflake.

Add an emoji or something when you’re trying to be funny. Cuz I read your post and thought “man...what a [BLEEP]”  Laughing
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I limit as much as I can and do things to stop some of it, but unless you give up some of the helpful stuff and go to a flip phone you cannot stop it.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(02-05-2021, 02:54 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 02:35 PM)Jags Wrote: Online anonymity or not, I’m not going to let someone think I actually put my family aside for FA.  Figured that would go without saying.  Other than that, everyone can think whatever the hell they want about me. So, yeah, it pissed me off.  Guess I’m a snowflake.

Add an emoji or something when you’re trying to be funny. Cuz I read your post and thought “man...what a [BLEEP]”  Laughing
Okie doke then.  Emojis it is or it’s me with the social dilemma.   Wallbash

(02-05-2021, 02:35 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 01:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Sorry.  I didn't mean to trigger you.

Relax snowflake.  I was using your experience as an example of how people can not stay off of their phones.  Perhaps I could have worded things differently so you wouldn't get so triggered.  I wasn't trying to imply that you would put your family aside for FA, but you are the one that said that you had "one hand on your phone and one hand on your wife's... occasionally looking away from your phone to see if a baby was there".

You missed my point trying to get across that people are so glued to their "smart" phones, technology and social media that the world is just passing them by.  It's not just you, it's damn near everyone.  When you stop at a red light look around at the cars around you.  9 times out of 10 the driver is sitting there on their phone for whatever reason.  If you go to a doctor's office and sit in the waiting room nobody is browsing the magazines or the newspapers that they put out, everyone is staring down at their phone.  Ask someone a question and if they don't know the answer they immediately get their phone out to "ask Google" for the answer.

To get back on topic I did start watching Social Dilemma and it's pretty much what I figured.  That's why I say that technology and social media has become evil.