Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
When was the last time you were downtown (Jax) during a non-Jag event

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2021, 11:27 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Not including Riverside or communities on the outskirts of downtown Jacksonville, when was the last time you went downtown (e.g. Landing area) for a non-Jaguar event?

I just got to thinking that years and years ago, I went downtown for the international festival and also to see the Lion King (w/ my wife & kids).  Otherwise, I can't recall just going there in the past few years.

Do people actually go down there routinely to hang out at the nightclubs?  Club 904 seems to have decent bands but I can't bring myself to go there (35 miles form the beach), especially if I'm going to have a few drinks ....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Does incarceration count?

Other than work, we used to go to The Paradome on a weekend basis.. That's about it..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Putting aside the anomaly of 2020, we get there a couple times a year.  Usually for the Home Show or something similar.  Other than an occasional Sharks/Jumbo Shrimp game, which isn't really downtown, what does the area offer I don't have at the beach (other than the panhandlers)?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Pre rona we’d go to Daily’s, the arena, the stadium and Times Union for stuff all the time. We use to take the boat out and drop by the landing for lunch. My mom and I would never miss the southern woman’s show, although that’s been crappy the past several years. The auto show, the home and patio show are also things I’d attend. And of course the Fl/ga game. Fireworks on the 4th, and the boat parade at Xmas. Art Walk is another favorite. I’m past the night club phase so I can’t really comment on that aspect of downtown.

I know I’m more of an outlier than most because I do live in Riverside in close proximity to all the goings on than most on here.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I don't go downtown unless I have to.  The last couple of times were to see The Jersey Boys at the Times-Union Center and the occasional trip to Hooters (wehn it was there) for wings and beer by boat.  I probably haven't been downtown in 10 years other than to go to the stadium/baseball field.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-04-2021, 11:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Not including Riverside or communities on the outskirts of downtown Jacksonville, when was the last time you went downtown (e.g. Landing area) for a non-Jaguar event?

I just got to thinking that years and years ago, I went downtown for the international festival and also to see the Lion King (w/ my wife & kids).  Otherwise, I can't recall just going there in the past few years.

Do people actually go down there routinely to hang out at the nightclubs?  Club 904 seems to have decent bands but I can't bring myself to go there (35 miles form the beach), especially if I'm going to have a few drinks ....

Pre-pandemic we'd go there a minimum of three or four times a month. Sometimes for Icemen games or a baseball game, other times to hang out at Intuition or one of the bars or restaurants in Springfield. But I'm not nearly as far away, it's like 15 or 20 minutes tops for me. If I lived at the beach no doubt I wouldn't go nearly as much.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I only go there for the occasional event. Concert, games, if I happen to have to pick my wife up from work, etc. so I’m there very few and far between. That being said, waaaay more often than I even try to go to Orange Park. I refuse to go there. Who the hell wants to sit in that damn traffic?

I went to a music venue or a bar/restaurant downtown about once every 4 or 5 weeks before I took this job in SWFL.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2021, 06:47 PM by Jags.)

(02-04-2021, 10:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I went to a music venue or a bar/restaurant downtown about once every 4 or 5 weeks before I took this job in SWFL.

Was that for work or entertainment?

Ten years ago for fireworks. But I don't live in Duval anymore so there is that. I miss the July 4th and Thanksgiving/Christmas fireworks. And the boat parade was always nice. I still can't believe the Landing is gone. Also used to do the Art Walk. I mainly miss going to games.

(02-05-2021, 06:47 PM)Jags Wrote:
(02-04-2021, 10:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I went to a music venue or a bar/restaurant downtown about once every 4 or 5 weeks before I took this job in SWFL.

Was that for work or entertainment?

Entertainment.