Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What’s everybody making for the Super Bowl?

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2021, 05:45 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-07-2021, 05:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Most of the venison that I consume is either ground up or made into sausage.  The important ingredient is pork fat since venison is usually very lean.  I have quite the herd of deer on my property and when I let people hunt the price is a few pounds of venison.  I also have a huge flock of turkeys that hang around my "back yard".  Wild turkey (the meat kind not the drink kind) is very good.

It's very good, but a different taste than domestic turkey. If you get a venison roast or a larger cut of meat, you can also wrap it in thick cut, applewood bacon. The extra fat keeps the meat from drying out during cooking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-07-2021, 05:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 05:02 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Most of the venison that I consume is either ground up or made into sausage.  The important ingredient is pork fat since venison is usually very lean.  I have quite the herd of deer on my property and when I let people hunt the price is a few pounds of venison.  I also have a huge flock of turkeys that hang around my "back yard".  Wild turkey (the meat kind not the drink kind) is very good.

It's very good, but a different taste than domestic turkey. If you get a venison roast or a larger cut of meat, you can also wrap it in thick cut, applewood bacon. The extra fat keeps the meat from drying out during cooking.

That sounds very good...  I see me doing this cooking over some Hickory wood that we cut down and split.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2021, 09:46 PM by WingerDinger.)

The pulled pork came out amazing.. Cooked it on the high setting for the first hour and then low and slow for another 6 hours.. I let it simmer in some chopped onion, a sprig of thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder, a couple cups of water and a full can of budweiser beer..

Fell right off the bone and was probably was the best I made to date..

The wife made some really good homemade coleslaw and I put a spoonful right on top of the pulled pork sammich..

Can't wait for leftovers..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(02-06-2021, 12:45 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Boston Pork Butt in the crock pot for bbq pulled pork sammiches and homemade coleslaw.. Sweet Baby Rays for the sauce.. Gonna put it in around 10am and let that sucker slow cook..

are you me?

I was lazy and bought a bucket of slaw, though.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 09:55 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-07-2021, 02:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 01:29 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Totally.  We got NY Strips at Costco, coated them with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and cooked them in an air fryer.  It was dang good.  

Yeah, I know, it's better on a grill, but we were too lazy.

The New York strip steaks from Costco are thick. I cooked ours in a cast iron skillet with salt, pepper and butter. Very tasty and is better than grilled, in my opinion.

I have to get an air fryer. Everyone raves about them.

The greatest thing about air fryers is they only cost 50 bucks.   All it is is a small convection oven.  I think "air fryer" sells better than "convection oven."   But we've had fun with it.  

My secret to cooking great steaks?  Prime beef.  It's a great steak before you even cook it.  

Cast iron skillet with salt, pepper, and butter sounds incredible.  But we don't have a hood system in our kitchen.  We have one of those pop-up exhaust things and I don't think that would get the smoke out of the kitchen.

(02-06-2021, 07:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: If you guys want real prime cuts of meat, go to Costco.

Costco blade tenderizes all of their steaks, I don't know why they do that to tender prime cuts.  I also hate the experience of Costco with a passion.

I stick to my local butcher in San Marco or order things online.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 02:46 PM by homebiscuit.)

(02-08-2021, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 02:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The New York strip steaks from Costco are thick. I cooked ours in a cast iron skillet with salt, pepper and butter. Very tasty and is better than grilled, in my opinion.

I have to get an air fryer. Everyone raves about them.

The greatest thing about air fryers is they only cost 50 bucks.   All it is is a small convection oven.  I think "air fryer" sells better than "convection oven."   But we've had fun with it.  

My secret to cooking great steaks?  Prime beef.  It's a great steak before you even cook it.  

Cast iron skillet with salt, pepper, and butter sounds incredible.  But we don't have a hood system in our kitchen.  We have one of those pop-up exhaust things and I don't think that would get the smoke out of the kitchen.

We just updated our kitchen and I installed a 45 lb. stainless steel hood that moves 500 CFM. It sounds like a space shuttle launch on its high setting, but it really moves the smoke out.

(02-08-2021, 02:18 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 07:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: If you guys want real prime cuts of meat, go to Costco.

Costco blade tenderizes all of their steaks, I don't know why they do that to tender prime cuts.  I also hate the experience of Costco with a passion.

I heart Costco.

(02-08-2021, 02:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The greatest thing about air fryers is they only cost 50 bucks.   All it is is a small convection oven.  I think "air fryer" sells better than "convection oven."   But we've had fun with it.  

We just updated our kitchen and I installed a 45 lb. stainless steel hood that moves 500 CFM. It sounds like a space shuttle launch on its high setting, but it really moves the smoke out.

(02-08-2021, 02:18 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Costco blade tenderizes all of their steaks, I don't know why they do that to tender prime cuts.  I also hate the experience of Costco with a passion.

I heart Costco.

I guess if you can find a good time to go when it's not a zoo it's not so bad, but I shudder at the thought of that place on the weekends.  Just the parking lot itself gives me anxiety.

(02-08-2021, 03:36 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 02:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We just updated our kitchen and I installed a 45 lb. stainless steel hood that moves 500 CFM. It sounds like a space shuttle launch on its high setting, but it really moves the smoke out.

I heart Costco.

I guess if you can find a good time to go when it's not a zoo it's not so bad, but I shudder at the thought of that place on the weekends.  Just the parking lot itself gives me anxiety.

No wonder. The store on Gate Parkway is a zoo. We use the one on the Westside which isn’t nearly as busy. 

My wife and I went to the busy one a couple of months ago and were shocked by the crowd. Not only is ours much quieter and more accessible, it has a gas station too.

(02-08-2021, 03:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 03:36 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: I guess if you can find a good time to go when it's not a zoo it's not so bad, but I shudder at the thought of that place on the weekends.  Just the parking lot itself gives me anxiety.

No wonder. The store on Gate Parkway is a zoo. We use the one on the Westside which isn’t nearly as busy. 

My wife and I went to the busy one a couple of months ago and were shocked by the crowd. Not only is ours much quieter and more accessible, it has a gas station too.

Now it all makes sense!

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 03:58 PM by Jagwired.)

Homebiscuit at his local Costco gas station.

[Image: deliverance_1972_002_copy-928x523.jpg]
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 04:30 PM by RicoTx.)

(02-08-2021, 03:36 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: I guess if you can find a good time to go when it's not a zoo it's not so bad, but I shudder at the thought of that place on the weekends.  Just the parking lot itself gives me anxiety.

When I was still living in town, I had 'transferred' to the new one as well.  That place never got anything like the one in the Town Center, which I think is part of the problem.

The one that I've been to in Fort Worth is at a Town Center kind of area and it's an absolute madhouse if you don't get there early.  My wife and I are early risers, so it's generally not a problem.  We'll get there when the doors open, but by the time we leave the crowd has arrived.

We are literally around the corner from a Sam's, but I think their selection sucks.  Still, it's OK for a convenience for some items.  Plus I got the membership for $20.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-08-2021, 03:57 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Homebiscuit at his local Costco gas station.

[Image: deliverance_1972_002_copy-928x523.jpg]

Nope. But I was watchin' em from behind the tree line.

We go there about once a week.  We get all our gas there, too.  I love that place.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 05:19 PM by homebiscuit.)

(02-08-2021, 04:26 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 03:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: No wonder. The store on Gate Parkway is a zoo. We use the one on the Westside which isn’t nearly as busy. 

When I was still living in town, I had 'transferred' to the new one as well.  That place never got anything like the one in the Town Center, which I think is part of the problem.

The one that I've been to in Fort Worth is at a Town Center kind of area and it's an absolute madhouse if you don't get there early.  My wife and I are early risers, so it's generally not a problem.  We'll get there when the doors open, but by the time we leave the crowd has arrived.

We are literally around the corner from a Sam's, but I think their selection sucks.  Still, it's OK for a convenience for some items.  Plus I got the membership for $20.

It was also shocking to us because that was the first time we had been to the store for 20 years. When we first moved to Mayport from California in 1999, we had a Costco membership. Back then, the Gate Parkway store was all by itself. It was surrounded by cow pasture.

(02-08-2021, 05:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 03:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: No wonder. The store on Gate Parkway is a zoo. We use the one on the Westside which isn’t nearly as busy. 

We go there about once a week.  We get all our gas there, too.  I love that place.

Same with us.

Costco town center, get there 5-10 minutes before they open on the weekend. Smash and grab your needs. Because 15 minutes later it’s a crazy mad house. The westside one I’ve only been to one time. It was less crowded and I felt I had time and space to browse. Maybe I read previous posts wrongs, but I felt the WS store had more stuff than town center. Granted, my visit was more so “window shopping” and not so much looking at what I’d normally get grocery wise, but I’ve never seen pergolas and Rolexes at the town center. WS seemed bigger. I could be way off though.

Hmmmm..

https://youtu.be/ZIFCWpn4qQ4

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(02-08-2021, 03:36 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 02:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: We just updated our kitchen and I installed a 45 lb. stainless steel hood that moves 500 CFM. It sounds like a space shuttle launch on its high setting, but it really moves the smoke out.

I heart Costco.

Same!

Costco is a great place to shop when you need to buy a six-pack of vacuum cleaners.

(02-10-2021, 01:23 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Costco is a great place to shop when you need to buy a six-pack of vacuum cleaners.

Seriously, though, I don't know how I existed before buying coffee by the 55-gallon drum