Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
3-4 base defense official?

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2021, 01:46 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

The entire coaching staff was announced today and it looks like the defensive scheme should be a lot different. We hired an ILB Coach and an OLB Coach. That normally means you will be running a 3-4 base scheme as linebackers in that particular defense have very different jobs. If you run a 4-3 set, teams normally just hire a Linebackers Coach. Hopefully, this will create a positive change for the defense, since we seem better equipped for that scheme anyway. 

Here's how I expect things to line up.

DE- Doug Costin, ?????? I'd expect the team to re-sign either Dawuane Smoot or Adam Gotsis to play opposite Costin with a draft pick and possibly a free agent addition to fight it out for the starting positions. 

OLB- Josh Allen, K'Lavon Chaisson will start, but I also expect us to draft an OLB somewhere on that 2nd day of the draft to have a good rotation. I also think we bring in a mid-range free agent as well. 

ILB- Myles Jack, Joe Schobert. From there, it's anyone's guess who the backups will be. 

Safety- ?????? Our Safeties are a mess, no matter what the scheme. Jarrod Wilson could remain the starting FS or we could have two new starters, but I guarantee, we will have at least one new starting Safety via free agency, the draft or both. 

NT- Davon Hamilton. We might add a veteran backup, depending on who opts back in.

CB- C.J. Henderson, ?????? Henderson is entrenched at one starting CB position, but the other side needs a big upgrade and Hayden is likely gone as well, so Nickle will need to be addressed. Look for us to either spend a high pick on a CB or sign a good one in free agency, maybe both.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Explain how a 3-4 is different from a 4-3 Under.

What's more, considering our players we will play 4-2 most of the time.

If you think it will be mostly 3-3 then I wonder who you will sit?

Who cares?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-11-2021, 05:58 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Who cares?

The base scheme we run is very important when it comes to drafting players. In a 3-4 set, DT becomes way less of a necessity. We already have a NT in Hamilton and you can find 3-4 DE's pretty deep in the draft, so I wouldn't expect us to draft a DT/DE before the 3rd day of the draft.

(02-11-2021, 07:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

The base scheme we run is very important when it comes to drafting players. In a 3-4 set, DT becomes way less of a necessity. We already have a NT in Hamilton and you can find 3-4 DE's pretty deep in the draft, so I wouldn't expect us to draft a DT/DE before the 3rd day of the draft.

Naw, DE is a huge need if we go to a 3-4.  I could see us taking a guy like Levi Onwuzurike in the 2nd.  Talyor made for a 3-4 end and dude is a beast.

(02-11-2021, 09:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 07:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The base scheme we run is very important when it comes to drafting players. In a 3-4 set, DT becomes way less of a necessity. We already have a NT in Hamilton and you can find 3-4 DE's pretty deep in the draft, so I wouldn't expect us to draft a DT/DE before the 3rd day of the draft.

Naw, DE is a huge need if we go to a 3-4.  I could see us taking a guy like Levi Onwuzurike in the 2nd.  Talyor made for a 3-4 end and dude is a beast.

I actually like Cameron Sample and Osa Odighizuwa just as much as Onwuzurike. In the later rounds I like Kenny Randall, Marquiss Spencer, Mustafa Johnson and Michael Clemons. In a 3-4 set, the DE's have to be good against the run before anything else. It's nice if they can rush the passer, but that job is mainly left to the OLB's and since we now have a Defensive Coordinator from Baltimore where they constantly blitz, I'm expecting a lot of that here. If we re-sign Smoot, I can see him and Costin having a lot of success as 3-4 DE's. We'd need to add some rotational players for depth though.

(02-12-2021, 12:56 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/ashlynrsullivan/stat...9768884228

https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/13...3175715841

https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/13...3223412740

You don't hire an ILB Coach and an OLB Coach unless you plan to run a 3-4 defense a significant amount of time. 4-3 base teams just hire a LB Coach. I'm sure our defense will show a variety of looks throughout next season 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5 or 3-2-6, but with the coaching staff the way it is, I see us in 3-4 base with a ton of blitzing like they did in Baltimore.

Again, what is the difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 Under? And why does it matter when we'll be in nickel and dime most of the time? With a four man front...

I get the idea that people are fixated with 3-4 and think it's gonna magically cure everything but if you can't even explain what it is then why should I believe you?

(02-12-2021, 01:09 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 12:56 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/ashlynrsullivan/stat...9768884228

https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/13...3175715841

https://twitter.com/JohnOehser/status/13...3223412740

You don't hire an ILB Coach and an OLB Coach unless you plan to run a 3-4 defense a significant amount of time. 4-3 base teams just hire a LB Coach. I'm sure our defense will show a variety of looks throughout next season 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5 or 3-2-6, but with the coaching staff the way it is, I see us in 3-4 base with a ton of blitzing like they did in Baltimore.

They basically said you'll see both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments, along with others. They're going to mix and match, which every team in the NFL does. You're getting way too caught up in just the term 3-4 or 4-3. It's just a bland label for the most part.

The Bucs for example went into that SB listed as a base 2-4-5 Defense, which isn't really a 2-4-5 at all. It was just a 4-2-5 with the pass rushers listed as OLBs instead of DEs, but they still lined up on the DL which made it a 4-2 front. Common nickel defense which is the norm for today's NFL. The more important factor is what kind of Defense they want to be. Aggressive or passive, and not so much what front they line up in.

(02-12-2021, 01:41 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 01:09 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You don't hire an ILB Coach and an OLB Coach unless you plan to run a 3-4 defense a significant amount of time. 4-3 base teams just hire a LB Coach. I'm sure our defense will show a variety of looks throughout next season 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5 or 3-2-6, but with the coaching staff the way it is, I see us in 3-4 base with a ton of blitzing like they did in Baltimore.

They basically said you'll see both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments, along with others. They're going to mix and match, which every team in the NFL does. You're getting way too caught up in just the term 3-4 or 4-3. It's just a bland label for the most part.

The Bucs for example went into that SB listed as a base 2-4-5 Defense, which isn't really a 2-4-5 at all. It was just a 4-2-5 with the pass rushers listed as OLBs instead of DEs, but they still lined up on the DL which made it a 4-2 front. Common nickel defense which is the norm for today's NFL. The more important factor is what kind of Defense they want to be. Aggressive or passive, and not so much what front they line up in.

God knows, under Wash we certainly were passive. I like the fact that our new DC comes from a system that was ultra aggressive.

(02-12-2021, 01:41 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 01:09 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You don't hire an ILB Coach and an OLB Coach unless you plan to run a 3-4 defense a significant amount of time. 4-3 base teams just hire a LB Coach. I'm sure our defense will show a variety of looks throughout next season 3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5 or 3-2-6, but with the coaching staff the way it is, I see us in 3-4 base with a ton of blitzing like they did in Baltimore.

This.

(02-12-2021, 01:48 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 01:41 AM)Eric1 Wrote: They basically said you'll see both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments, along with others. They're going to mix and match, which every team in the NFL does. You're getting way too caught up in just the term 3-4 or 4-3. It's just a bland label for the most part.

God knows, under Wash we certainly were passive. I like the fact that our new DC comes from a system that was ultra aggressive.

And I think that's what'll be the main difference we'll see. More blitzing/disguises/creativity. Sounds like they want to be an aggressive/attacking Defense. Not so much a "we are what we are. rush 4 and drop 7 over and over and over" like we've seen with Wash these last few years. 

Could probably count on one hand the amount of times Wash had his guys lined up in an all out blitz look to try and make the opposing QB try to figure out who was rushing, or dropping.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 09:04 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-11-2021, 10:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 09:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Naw, DE is a huge need if we go to a 3-4.  I could see us taking a guy like Levi Onwuzurike in the 2nd.  Talyor made for a 3-4 end and dude is a beast.

I actually like Cameron Sample and Osa Odighizuwa just as much as Onwuzurike. In the later rounds I like Kenny Randall, Marquiss Spencer, Mustafa Johnson and Michael Clemons. In a 3-4 set, the DE's have to be good against the run before anything else. It's nice if they can rush the passer, but that job is mainly left to the OLB's and since we now have a Defensive Coordinator from Baltimore where they constantly blitz, I'm expecting a lot of that here. If we re-sign Smoot, I can see him and Costin having a lot of success as 3-4 DE's. We'd need to add some rotational players for depth though.

You want you 3-4 end to be able to do both like a Richard Seymour or a Cameron Heyward but yes stopping the run is very important and Cullen mentioned that yesterday. It wouldn't even shock me if we play Hamilton at one of the ends and pick up a monster NT like a Tyler Shelvin. You're basically saying you like the same font 7 we had last year.  No thanks, we need an upgrade on that dline regardless what type of defense we run and I'm sure Meyer knows that

3-4 vs 4-3

In a 34 you have 4 LBs

In a 43 you have only 3 LBs

That is the difference. Put them where you want them, under, over, it doesn’t matter. That’s the difference.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2021, 09:22 AM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(02-11-2021, 09:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Naw, DE is a huge need if we go to a 3-4.  I could see us taking a guy like Levi Onwuzurike in the 2nd.  Talyor made for a 3-4 end and dude is a beast.

Lmao what kind of madden fake rookie class names are these. Lord lmao

(02-12-2021, 09:53 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: 3-4 vs 4-3

In a 34 you have 4 LBs

In a 43 you have only 3 LBs

That is the difference. Put them where you want them, under, over, it doesn’t matter. That’s the difference.

Well thats not the only difference. In a 3_4 olbs are pass rushers, in 4-3 they are coverage lbers.

Bingo. Especially in February. Let's see how they draft, and approach free agency. Then we'll know what the plan is for the base defense. All I care about is that it's better, regardless of the scheme.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(02-15-2021, 09:19 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 10:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I actually like Cameron Sample and Osa Odighizuwa just as much as Onwuzurike. In the later rounds I like Kenny Randall, Marquiss Spencer, Mustafa Johnson and Michael Clemons. In a 3-4 set, the DE's have to be good against the run before anything else. It's nice if they can rush the passer, but that job is mainly left to the OLB's and since we now have a Defensive Coordinator from Baltimore where they constantly blitz, I'm expecting a lot of that here. If we re-sign Smoot, I can see him and Costin having a lot of success as 3-4 DE's. We'd need to add some rotational players for depth though.

????????? Do you watch college football at all? Odighizuwa plays for UCLA, Onwuzurike plays for Washington, Randall plays for Charleston, Spencer plays for Mississippi State, Johnson plays for Colorado and Clemons plays for Texas A&M. Look it up.

(02-15-2021, 11:24 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 09:19 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Lmao what kind of madden fake rookie class names are these. Lord lmao

????????? Do you watch college football at all? Odighizuwa plays for UCLA, Onwuzurike plays for Washington, Randall plays for Charleston, Spencer plays for Mississippi State, Johnson plays for Colorado and Clemons plays for Texas A&M. Look it up.
No i know they are real just their names remind me of the ones you see in a fake madden draft class. Just seem so random and made up lol

(02-15-2021, 09:26 AM)FBT Wrote:

Bingo.  Especially in February.  Let's see how they draft, and approach free agency.  Then we'll know what the plan is for the base defense.  All I care about is that it's better, regardless of the scheme.

And one month until free agency kicks off.  This should be an interesting offseason to see how the roster is built.  I wonder what happens with last years free agents that sat out.  Namely Woods and Gunter as those two seem like tailor made NT and DE for a 3 4 defense.