Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Perfect first 5 picks?

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2021, 08:30 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

It's crazy what Moore did though in the SEC. 3 of his 8 games had over 225 yards and also led the league in receptions, he was unguardable. Elijah was was a higher recruit than Rondale and Chase. Romdale had a great year 3 years ago, Chase lit it up 2 years ago, and this year it was Elijah's turn, I like the hot hand with the arrow pointing up as well. I'm gonna start looking into the corner class a little deeper

It's crazy what Moore did though in the SEC. 3 of his 8 games had over 225 yards and also led the league in receptions, he was unguardable. Elijah was was a higher recruit than Rondale and Chase, and had offers from Alabamaand all the other big schools but chose Ole Miss. Rondale had a great year 3 years ago, Chase lit it up 2 years ago, and this year it was Elijah's turn, I like the hot hand with the arrow pointing up as well. I'm gonna start looking into the corner class a little deeper

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-03-2021, 08:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 08:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Good grief.

Why are you so stuck on this “needs based” drafting vs “BAP”? It’s never so black and white as you are making it out to be. We literally go over this every year and you are still failing to realize it.

Because he don't like any draft if a LT isn't drafted at 25 and he don't want a WR in the first 3 rounds because he don't think it's a need. That's exactly what need drafting is.  We do go over this every year and some people like to draft like that and some dont. Hes the one stuck on it, I like to be flexible going into a draft

It's not that WR in the first three rounds is based on need. It's that comparable guys are available later, so you can get both a WR *and* another player that is either at the top of the board or trade with someone else who wants that particular WR and gain some extra value. He specifically said that, you either chose to ignore it, or dismissed it as not fitting the narrative.

Again, "top of the board" is rarely going to be a singular player once you get out of the top 5 or so players in the darft. But, like the others have said, we've done this dance before, no need to rehearse the steps any longer.

(03-04-2021, 09:52 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 08:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Because he don't like any draft if a LT isn't drafted at 25 and he don't want a WR in the first 3 rounds because he don't think it's a need. That's exactly what need drafting is.  We do go over this every year and some people like to draft like that and some dont. Hes the one stuck on it, I like to be flexible going into a draft

It's not that WR in the first three rounds is based on need. It's that comparable guys are available later, so you can get both a WR *and* another player that is either at the top of the board or trade with someone else who wants that particular WR and gain some extra value. He specifically said that, you either chose to ignore it, or dismissed it as not fitting the narrative.

Again, "top of the board" is rarely going to be a singular player once you get out of the top 5 or so players in the darft. But, like the others have said, we've done this dance before, no need to rehearse the steps any longer.

I don't think a comparable WR will be found in the later rounds that you will get at 33 or 45 of course it all depends on how the draft falls.  I guess one could feel the same about a tackle or any other position. Once again, no one knows how the draft will fall so I'm not gonna say I'm just drafting a position. I seriously doubt he would have those 10 tackles over every defender in the draft but since LT is a bigger need l, he's putting it over them.

It's why I hope we do something at LT in FA whether it be tag Cam or sign a vet so we can go true BAP. If not we back our selves in the corner to reach for a tackle and we can't afford to put us in that position

(03-04-2021, 10:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 09:52 AM)Mikey Wrote: It's not that WR in the first three rounds is based on need. It's that comparable guys are available later, so you can get both a WR *and* another player that is either at the top of the board or trade with someone else who wants that particular WR and gain some extra value. He specifically said that, you either chose to ignore it, or dismissed it as not fitting the narrative.

I don't think a comparable WR will be found in the later rounds that you will get at 33 or 45 of course it all depends on how the draft falls.  I guess one could feel the same about a tackle or any other position. Once again, no one knows how the draft will fall so I'm not gonna say I'm just drafting a position. I seriously doubt he would have those 10 tackles over every defender in the draft but since LT is a bigger need l, he's putting it over them.
Except it happens every single year. You just have to scout well.

Diontae Johnson, McLaurin, Gallup, Boykin, Slayton, Fulgham, Kupp, Godwin, Golladay.... that’s just 2017-2019.

All that matters is scouting well and choosing the right player. Novel concept right? No one cares how you do it.... just do it.

(03-04-2021, 10:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I don't think a comparable WR will be found in the later rounds that you will get at 33 or 45 of course it all depends on how the draft falls.  I guess one could feel the same about a tackle or any other position. Once again, no one knows how the draft will fall so I'm not gonna say I'm just drafting a position. I seriously doubt he would have those 10 tackles over every defender in the draft but since LT is a bigger need l, he's putting it over them.

Diontae Johnson, McLaurin, Gallup, Boykin, Slayton, Fulgham, Kupp, Godwin, Golladay.... that’s just 2017-2019.

All that matters is scouting well and choosing the right player. Novel concept right? No one cares how you do it.... just do it.
You can do that for any position.  See how that works?  It's why you take top guy.  If your scouting is correct than take  the top player on your board which will be the best player.  Use FA for need

(03-04-2021, 10:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Except it happens every single year. You just have to scout well.

You can do that for any position.  See how that works?  It's why you take top guy.  If your scouting is correct than take  the top player on your board which will be the best player.  Use FA for need
So theoretically, if every player at the top of your board is a RB when you are selecting, you take them.

No? So sometimes you don’t take the top player on board?

(03-04-2021, 10:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's why I hope we do something at LT in FA whether it be tag Cam or sign a vet so we can go true BAP.  If not we back our selves in the corner to reach for a tackle and we can't afford to put us in that position

That accomplishes nothing. He's garbage.

(03-04-2021, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:34 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You can do that for any position.  See how that works?  It's why you take top guy.  If your scouting is correct than take  the top player on your board which will be the best player.  Use FA for need
So theoretically, if every player at the top of your board is a RB when you are selecting, you take them.

you should be hearing feedback at this point. we are stuck in a loop.

At this point, probably more successful trying to get the concept across to your dog, the junk mail on the kitchen table, or a bowl of pudding.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2021, 04:38 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-04-2021, 03:16 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:38 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: So theoretically, if every player at the top of your board is a RB when you are selecting, you take them.

you should be hearing feedback at this point. we are stuck in a loop.

At this point, probably more successful trying to get the concept across to your dog, the junk mail on the kitchen table, or a bowl of pudding.
You are way behind in this discussion.  It's been discussed at nauseum, there are rare circumstances you don't take the top player like if we are stacked at a position or the guy won't see the field.

(03-04-2021, 02:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's why I hope we do something at LT in FA whether it be tag Cam or sign a vet so we can go true BAP.  If not we back our selves in the corner to reach for a tackle and we can't afford to put us in that position.

That accomplishes nothing. He's garbage.

He will be better this year than a lot of those rookies you want to start day 1

(03-04-2021, 04:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 03:16 PM)Mikey Wrote: you should be hearing feedback at this point. we are stuck in a loop.

You are way behind in this discussion.  It's been discussed at nauseum, there are rare circumstances you don't take the top player like if we are stacked at a position or the guy won't see the field.

(03-04-2021, 02:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That accomplishes nothing. He's garbage.

He hasn't improved at all during his NFL career. Why would this change now? You're just being overly optimistic. The Bengals were optimistic that their O-linemen would be better last year, so they ignored the position until round 6. Look how that ended up. Unless we sign Trent Williams, which I'm praying we do, we have to upgrade the LT position by whatever means necessary.

(03-04-2021, 05:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 04:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You are way behind in this discussion.  It's been discussed at nauseum, there are rare circumstances you don't take the top player like if we are stacked at a position or the guy won't see the field.

He hasn't improved at all during his NFL career. Why would this change now? You're just being overly optimistic. The Bengals were optimistic that their O-linemen would be better last year, so they ignored the position until round 6. Look how that ended up. Unless we sign Trent Williams, which I'm praying we do, we have to upgrade the LT position by whatever means necessary.

I never said ignore the position lol.  I think Cams best football is still ahead of him

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2021, 10:45 PM by Eric1.)

(03-04-2021, 10:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I don't think a comparable WR will be found in the later rounds that you will get at 33 or 45 of course it all depends on how the draft falls.  I guess one could feel the same about a tackle or any other position. Once again, no one knows how the draft will fall so I'm not gonna say I'm just drafting a position. I seriously doubt he would have those 10 tackles over every defender in the draft but since LT is a bigger need l, he's putting it over them.

Rounds 2 and 3 have been the hot spot for WRs as of late. I don't see that changing this year either. If we want to draft a WR, it should be somewhere in those 2 rounds. Unless Waddle, Smith or Chase fall to pick 25, but there's no shot of that.

https://twitter.com/Jordan_Reid/status/1...7104892929

(03-04-2021, 04:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 03:16 PM)Mikey Wrote: you should be hearing feedback at this point. we are stuck in a loop.

I'm not as behind as you think.

What you are describing, though, contradicts the very point you are defending. You criticize others who are saying that they want to target a position, or who criticize a mock that fails to address a position. When they try to defend that they value that position, you scream "needs darfting" and profess allegiance to your ordinal board, and refuse to accept the notion that the way you structure things may not be the way others around here (or teams, for that matter) do.

If that second WR is your top player after you just picked a similar WR, and is that highly ranked that other players are not in consideration for the top of your board, passing on him invalidates your entire board strategy of "BPA". You either have to trade out of the pick to recoup the value lost, or you sacrifice the value by selecting a lower ranked player.

Or..........you could agree that after the first few picks, individual rankings likely don't exist. Players are grouped in tiers, which blend talent, ceiling, filling need, depth of that position in the draft, measurables and countless other factors. When your pick is due, you have a cluster of players that fit the value of the pick, and you weigh the factors to determine who you take. Every once in a while, you end up in the rare circumstance where one player is left in that tier...and you must then choose to make the pick yourself or shop it around for others who likely have that player rated as highly.

It's not as black and white as you make it. So either you're contradicting yourself when you say "BPA, but not BPA if I don't have need for that position", or we are arguing over the semantics of what the notion of BPA actually entails.

I think we're all caught up now.

/thread

Well said.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021, 01:33 PM by Upper.)

These D'ante Smith senior bowl clips are giving me feelings. Guys that long and that light footed are extremely rare. He seems like a great candidate to be the next Armstead mid round pick that becomes one of the best in the league. I hope we strongly consider him at 65.

(03-05-2021, 01:32 PM)Upper Wrote: These D'ante Smith senior bowl clips are giving me feelings. Guys that long and that light footed are extremely rare. He seems like a great candidate to be the next Armstead mid round pick that becomes one of the best in the league. I hope we strongly consider him at 65.
Jim Nagy really likes him.

Armstead is a great comp.

(03-05-2021, 01:32 PM)Upper Wrote: These D'ante Smith senior bowl clips are giving me feelings. Guys that long and that light footed are extremely rare. He seems like a great candidate to be the next Armstead mid round pick that becomes one of the best in the league. I hope we strongly consider him at 65.

I like him quite a bit, but he came into the Senior Bowl at 6'5" 294 lbs. That's a little light. I'd like to see him get a little bigger without losing any of the shifty footwork. He's gonna face a lot bigger and stronger guys in the NFL and I'd just like to see him add some more mass. The footwork is definitely among the top players at the position though. 

Another guy I was impressed with that watched in the Hula Bowl was Donavaughn Campbell of La. Tech. For a big guy, he moved very smoothly and did a great job pulling on some running plays. I see him more of a RT type, but I'd love to bring him in as competition for Jawaan Taylor.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021, 02:24 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-05-2021, 09:57 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 04:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You are way behind in this discussion.  It's been discussed at nauseum, there are rare circumstances you don't take the top player like if we are stacked at a position or the guy won't see the field.

I'm not as behind as you think.

What you are describing, though, contradicts the very point you are defending. You criticize others who are saying that they want to target a position, or who criticize a mock that fails to address a position. When they try to defend that they value that position, you scream "needs darfting" and profess allegiance to your ordinal board, and refuse to accept the notion that the way you structure things may not be the way others around here (or teams, for that matter) do.

If that second WR is your top player after you just picked a similar WR, and is that highly ranked that other players are not in consideration for the top of your board, passing on him invalidates your entire board strategy of "BPA". You either have to trade out of the pick to recoup the value lost, or you sacrifice the value by selecting a lower ranked player.

Or..........you could agree that after the first few picks, individual rankings likely don't exist. Players are grouped in tiers, which blend talent, ceiling, filling need, depth of that position in the draft, measurables and countless other factors. When your pick is due, you have a cluster of players that fit the value of the pick, and you weigh the factors to determine who you take. Every once in a while, you end up in the rare circumstance where one player is left in that tier...and you must then choose to make the pick yourself or shop it around for others who likely have that player rated as highly.

It's not as black and white as you make it. So either you're contradicting yourself when you say "BPA, but not BPA if I don't have need for that position", or we are arguing over the semantics of what the notion of BPA actually entails.

I think we're all caught up now.

I'm not criticizing anyone, everyone has their own opinion of how one should go about the draft.  Drafting a player over another higher rated player because of value of position is how end up taking Bortles over Khalil Mack or Gabbert over JJWatt.  I'm not sure if you are caught up yet or not.  They put players in tiers but they still have individual rankings into the 100's  All teams don't draft the same, some teams value need much more than others.  I like what Ozzie Newsom done. He took a TE in the first and come round 3 a TE was at the top of his board so and he stuck with it regardless of need.  He missed in the first pick but he still stuck with his board because he had him as the highest rated player.  Give me and All Pro player at a lesser position than just a good player at a more valued position, especially when you have a roster like we do where always every position good be upgraded.

This is how I like to go about drafting. Coming from the man that just won the SB

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...get-fired/

“You can’t draft for need,” Arians said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “If you draft for need, you get fired. You take the best player. If you got two players, now you’ve got three of them. Just take the best player available. Now if you’ve got four players right there together and one of them is a need? That’s a home run.’’

A lot of mock drafts are penciling in LSU linebacker Devin White to the Bucs with the fifth overall pick, but if he’s the Bucs’ guy, it’s because they think he’s the best player on the board at the time, not because they need a linebacker.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021, 02:29 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Like this

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/platform/a...20%251%24s

https://twitter.com/FalcoholicKevin/stat...04097?s=19