Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Perfect first 5 picks?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Is it even worth posting pro day numbers this year? All of these numbers are cooked. The draftniks were flat out laughing at those exos numbers from a couple of days ago.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021, 07:46 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-05-2021, 05:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/1367...81088?s=19

Love that guy. My 3rd rated CB behind Farley and Horn.

(03-05-2021, 06:44 PM)Upper Wrote: Is it even worth posting pro day numbers this year? All of these numbers are cooked. The draftniks were flat out laughing at those exos numbers from a couple of days ago.

Sure it is. It's the only thing we have right now. At least it gives us a ballpark of how fast they are.

(03-05-2021, 07:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Sure it is. It's the only thing we have right now. At least it gives us a ballpark of how fast they are.

If they were at least all at the same location so the numbers could be skewed the same way then sure. Right now I think it's just flat out deceptive and could lead to being burned.

(03-05-2021, 08:31 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 07:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Sure it is. It's the only thing we have right now. At least it gives us a ballpark of how fast they are.

If they were at least all at the same location so the numbers could be skewed the same way then sure. Right now I think it's just flat out deceptive and could lead to being burned.

In the case of Stokes, he was actually expected to run a sub 4.4/40. He's a track guy.

(03-06-2021, 01:06 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 08:31 PM)Upper Wrote: If they were at least all at the same location so the numbers could be skewed the same way then sure. Right now I think it's just flat out deceptive and could lead to being burned.

In the case of Stokes, he was actually expected to run a sub 4.4/40. He's a track guy.

Yeah there's a huge difference between sub 4.4 and 4.24.

(03-06-2021, 10:02 AM)Upper Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 01:06 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: In the case of Stokes, he was actually expected to run a sub 4.4/40. He's a track guy.

Yeah there's a huge difference between sub 4.4 and 4.24.

Both are still very fast for a guy that size. So, the rumors of his speed were accurate. He isn't one of those players who runs a disappointingly slow 40 time. That's ll I need to know. I don't really care about the exact number. I just need to know that he is fast and his 40 time at that workout, even if it is off a little, confirms that.

I think, in theory, the drafting league wide should be better overall, because they aren't relying on underwear olympics to determine whether to draft a player or not.

Because there is no combine and because the circumstances were so different, teams will be even more reliant on the tape to determine who to draft when.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-06-2021, 10:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 10:02 AM)Upper Wrote: Yeah there's a huge difference between sub 4.4 and 4.24.

Both are still very fast for a guy that size. So, the rumors of his speed were accurate. He isn't one of those players who runs a disappointingly slow 40 time. That's ll I need to know. I don't really care about the exact number. I just need to know that he is fast and his 40 time at that workout, even if it is off a little, confirms that.

I also said trusting the numbers in general, not specifically with Stokes. We're going to get extremely tainted numbers for pretty much everyone because there isn't going to be any standardized numbers. People were saying Stokes ran that fast because there was a significant tail wind. In track meets they literally adjust the times at the meet if there is a tail wind.

You're telling me there won't be dozens of guys who run a tenth faster because there is a tail wind, the run isn't quiiiite 40 yards, the guy running the stopwatch is off by just a little, or whatever other reason? It's going to matter. I'm taking every number with a gigantic grain of salt this year.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 10:29 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-06-2021, 10:11 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I think, in theory, the drafting league wide should be better overall, because they aren't relying on underwear olympics to determine whether to draft a player or not.

Because there is no combine and because the circumstances were so different, teams will be even more reliant on the tape to determine who to draft when.

Agreed. I hate when teams see a guy who has basically done nothing in college, but see him run a fast 40 and suddenly he starts shooting up the draft boards. Never mind the fact that his on field play has been a disappointment. I wanna see consistent success at the position. 40 times, bench press and shuttles are just confirmation of what we've already seen on tape. That's the only measure they should be used for.

(03-06-2021, 10:23 AM)Upper Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 10:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Both are still very fast for a guy that size. So, the rumors of his speed were accurate. He isn't one of those players who runs a disappointingly slow 40 time. That's ll I need to know. I don't really care about the exact number. I just need to know that he is fast and his 40 time at that workout, even if it is off a little, confirms that.

I also said trusting the numbers in general, not specifically with Stokes. We're going to get extremely tainted numbers for pretty much everyone because there isn't going to be any standardized numbers. People were saying Stokes ran that fast because there was a significant tail wind. In track meets they literally adjust the times at the meet if there is a tail wind.

You're telling me there won't be dozens of guys who run a tenth faster because there is a tail wind, the run isn't quiiiite 40 yards, the guy running the stopwatch is off by just a little, or whatever other reason? It's going to matter. I'm taking every number with a gigantic grain of salt this year.

There will definitely be some "slightly adjusted" numbers. Like I said, the actual times themselves, aren't as important to me as the ranges they fall into. I can look at a guy running and can tell if he is fast or not. The actual times are not as important. I just wanna know that he isn't slow and that's easy to tell, just by "eyeballing" how they run.

1. Zach Wilson QB
25. Jaycee Horn CB
33. Carlos Basham DE
45. Robert Hainsey G
65. Thomas Booker DE

(03-06-2021, 10:11 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I think, in theory, the drafting league wide should be better overall, because they aren't relying on underwear olympics to determine whether to draft a player or not.

Well....there's this from Peter King's article...

Quote:I had one GM tell me Sunday his team is having trouble in three major draft areas:
• More players than ever—in this GM’s memory—have one season of successful college football only (such as Rousseau). The error rate on those players, because they’ve had less experience than normal prospects, is higher.
• With no on-campus scouting this year other than the Pro Day, the exposure to information sources is reduced. The GM said draft meetings so far have shown less information than ever in things like, How does he take coaching? What kind of teammate is he? What’s his work ethic?
• Limited medical information. Combine physical exams are notoriously thorough, sometimes discovering previously undiagnosed ailments. This GM told me his team won’t have trust in the exams till their own doctors can examine them—after the draft.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eter-king/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-08-2021, 01:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Well....there's this from Peter King's article...

Quote:I had one GM tell me Sunday his team is having trouble in three major draft areas:
• More players than ever—in this GM’s memory—have one season of successful college football only (such as Rousseau). The error rate on those players, because they’ve had less experience than normal prospects, is higher.
• With no on-campus scouting this year other than the Pro Day, the exposure to information sources is reduced. The GM said draft meetings so far have shown less information than ever in things like, How does he take coaching? What kind of teammate is he? What’s his work ethic?
• Limited medical information. Combine physical exams are notoriously thorough, sometimes discovering previously undiagnosed ailments. This GM told me his team won’t have trust in the exams till their own doctors can examine them—after the draft.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...eter-king/

I never considered the ramifications on the limited medical information. That could be huge. I remember really liking an offensive lineman a few years ago, Michael Munoz of Tennessee. He is the son of HOF LT Anthony Munoz. I was sure he would be drafted somewhere in the early to mid rounds. The draft came and went and he wasn't selected. I was shocked. After the draft, it came out that the medicals on him showed that his knee was basically "mangled" and it had a deteriorating condition. Things like this, could be missed in our current state of affairs.

Might have to put Cosmi in at 25 on the perfect draft now, if you trust those pro day numbers. Highest athletic score of all time. Lots of experience. Excellent production on true pass sets. Gigantic upside.

(03-12-2021, 03:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1370...91847?s=20

He wins the "Underwear Olympics."  Banana

(03-12-2021, 01:40 PM)Upper Wrote: Might have to put Cosmi in at 25 on the perfect draft now, if you trust those pro day numbers. Highest athletic score of all time. Lots of experience. Excellent production on true pass sets. Gigantic upside.

This wouldn't surprise me since it looks like they'll pass on Trent Williams. Either he or Darrisaw would be my picks.

(03-12-2021, 03:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 01:40 PM)Upper Wrote: Might have to put Cosmi in at 25 on the perfect draft now, if you trust those pro day numbers. Highest athletic score of all time. Lots of experience. Excellent production on true pass sets. Gigantic upside.

This wouldn't surprise me since it looks like they'll pass on Trent Williams. Either he or Darrisaw would be my picks.
Why does it look like we will pass on Trent Williams?  Tagging Cam doesn’t mean we won’t try to go after Williams

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2021, 04:04 PM by Upper.)

(03-12-2021, 03:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He wins the "Underwear Olympics."  Banana

You're virtually the only person who doesn't think he was good on the field too.

"Cosmi has been one of the most tested tackles in the country and has improved every single year of his career. He allowed all of eight pressures on 368 pass-blocking snaps this past season."

(03-12-2021, 03:41 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

I think Urban is wrong, but I think he has been honest with us in this case. I don't think we're going to take an OT at 25. I expect Newsome or Moehrig or one of the plethora of pass rushers that could fit at 25.

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2021, 04:08 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-12-2021, 03:59 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 03:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He wins the "Underwear Olympics."  Banana

You're virtually the only person who doesn't think he was good on the field too.

"Cosmi has been one of the most tested tackles in the country and has improved every single year of his career. He allowed all of eight pressures on 368 pass-blocking snaps this past season."

I don't really hate him. I just think there are better options. I believe he's overrated, based on the Texas games I watched last year. He does have much better feet than Robinson. I'd rather have other OT's, but if it were a choice between Cosmi and Robinson, I take Cosmi. At least Cosmi has a chance to get better. Robinson's slow feet will always limit him. I just see Cosmi as a mid 2nd round pick, rather than a 1st rounder.