Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trading Down?

No, I'm not talking about the 1st pick overall.

But understanding we will need immediate impact players to improve the team significantly and that the lower we pick will reduce the chances of the player we pick having that impact, under what circumstances would you be open to a trade back from 25?

I see two, maybe three scenarios where I would make such a move:

1.  If we got an offer for the pick that blows our doors off, like a team in the second round moving up to get, say, Mac Jones for their mid second rounder this year and their first next year (Think Cleveland in 2007 trading up for Brady Quinn).

2.  If we are in the market for an OT but there is a run at the position right in front of us and our guy is taken off the board.  I think this may be a possibility because while there is depth at T, I think the teams ahead of us in the draft order have needs at the position.  Now I may not be inclined to trade out of the 1st round in that scenario.

3.  If our guys at OT, TE< and CB are all off the board.

What about you?

What would it take for you to trade back from 25?  How far back would you be willing to go?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I honestly hope we trade of from out 3rd round pick to the middle of the 2nd. That 2nd round I feel is where you can get steals and where players fall to where we can get another starter

(02-15-2021, 11:25 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I honestly hope we trade of from out 3rd round pick to the middle of the 2nd.  That 2nd round I feel is where you can get steals and where players fall to where we can get another starter

Now that you mentioned it, I have oped to trade back from time to time to get an extra pick in the 3rd round.

Not sure how we'd pull it off.  I'm thinking it would be a considerable trade back.

The only way I would trade down from #25 is if multiple targeted OT's I like, would still be on the board and I'd need to get a future 1st rounder and a 2021 mid round pick in return.

(02-15-2021, 11:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The only way I would trade down from #25 is if multiple targeted OT's I like, would still be on the board and I'd need to get a future 1st rounder and a 2021 mid round pick in return.

Do you see multiple OT prospects still being on the board when we pick at 25?

I don't.  In fact, trading back from 25 is a frightening proposition for me if OT is a primary draft concern.

Depending on how things shake out in free agency/salary cap/trades, every team below us could end up with needs at T, except maybe Cleveland.

The best opportunity will be to trade our top pick in round 2. A team desperate for the "last" quarterback on their board would likely be willing to give us their 2nd and 3rd rounders. As long as they are picking in the top 10 of those rounds, I'd love this trade.

(02-15-2021, 12:21 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The best opportunity will be to trade our top pick in round 2. A team desperate for the "last" quarterback on their board would likely be willing to give us their 2nd and 3rd rounders. As long as they are picking in the top 10 of those rounds, I'd love this trade.
That all depends on who is still available at the top of round 2.

If one of the tackles, Rondale Moore, a good corner, a good DT..... if any one of those are still there, I’m not trading it.

Normally, I think I’m all for trading picks in most years but I really like where most of the Jags picks are this year. I’m standing pat and taking tons of value.

(02-15-2021, 12:21 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: The best opportunity will be to trade our top pick in round 2. A team desperate for the "last" quarterback on their board would likely be willing to give us their 2nd and 3rd rounders. As long as they are picking in the top 10 of those rounds, I'd love this trade.

You may be right.

There is typically a big market for the first pick in day 2, and that's not even counting if a well regarded QB drops.

Furthermore, I don't think there is a huge need for young QBs with the teams picking below us after 25.

26.  Cleveland-They just reached the divisional round of the playoffs and gave KC everything they wanted.  In Cleveland's mind, they have to be okay with Mayfield, who is still on his rookie deal.

27.  Baltimore-They have a young Lamar Jackson still on his rookie deal.  Don't think the Ravens are in a hurry to replace him or even draft his backup, as much as they are to get him a bigger more physical WR or two.

28.  New Orleans-Even though it is likely Brees retires, they are still decently stocked at the position.

29.  Green Bay-they have Aaron Rodgers and just drafted Jordan Love in the first round last April.  Taking another QB is the last thing on their minds.

30.  Buffalo-have one of the best young QBs in the game in Josh Allen (as much as it saddens me to admit)

31.  Kansas City-Mahomes-Given how he ran for his life all Super Bowl long, it wouldn't shock me to see them re-stock the T position.  Value would seem to be there and it would fill a need for depth.

32.  Tampa Bay-they have the GOAT, but despite his level of play, he's no spring chicken.  I could easily see them taking a QB there to groom as his backup/replacement.

Going into the 2nd round....

33.  Jacksonville....

34.  N.Y. Jets-one way or another, their QB position will be settled by draft day with either Darnold, Watson, or one of the first round rookies.  Doubt they trade up for one

35.  Atlanta-see Jets above, only substitute Matt Ryan for Darnold and exclude the Watson trade speculation.

36.  Miami-Don't see them in the market at all.  Even assuming they are ready to cut bait on Tua after one year (Doubtful), if they were to draft his replacement this year, I think it would be early in the first, not in the 2nd round, and not trade up into the bottom of the first when they also have the #18 pick.

The first teams that may be interested in trading up into the bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd for a QB are Carolina and Denver, who are low enough in the  draft order to possibly miss out on their guy at the top of the first, but still have enough of a need at the position to move up if their guy is there.

Any team that would trade to 33 to get their QB would trade up another spot or two to guarantee that 5th year option for the QB.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2021, 03:45 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-15-2021, 11:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 11:44 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The only way I would trade down from #25 is if multiple targeted OT's I like, would still be on the board and I'd need to get a future 1st rounder and a 2021 mid round pick in return.

Do you see multiple OT prospects still being on the board when we pick at 25?

I don't.  In fact, trading back from 25 is a frightening proposition for me if OT is a primary draft concern.

Depending on how things shake out in free agency/salary cap/trades, every team below us could end up with needs at T, except maybe Cleveland.

I am fairly hopeful that there should be. I have several that I like, but I'm gonna look at the first 20 picks of the draft and see how things play out. If my targeted OT's start coming off the board fairly rapidly and I see things are not going our way, I wouldn't even be above trading up to #20-#23, in order to make sure I find a quality LT. That is not something I ever advocate doing, but this draft is different. I absolutely won't go into next season with Cam Robinson as a starter, because I missed out on getting a good LT in the draft and I also won't wait so long that I take a so-so LT later in the draft out of desperation, because I waited too long. That's how we ended up with Robinson and Taylor in the first place. It would basically take a miracle for me to even consider trading down from #25 at this point. If we signed Trent Williams in free agency, I might take a deal to trade down (not too far), but as I said, I'd want a future 1st and a 2021 mid rounder, probably a 3rd. 

One thing is for sure. One way or another, I'm going into 2021 with Trevor Lawrence as my QB and a major upgrade at the LT position.

That, I would definitely consider. Since I'd have my QB and LT selected already in round 1.

Depends on who's left on the board. There's a few guys I like that if are there, I wouldn't trade back. Trading back might be a good option though, because a lot of those guys may be gone by then.

(02-15-2021, 02:16 PM)Upper Wrote: Any team that would trade to 33 to get their QB would trade up another spot or two to guarantee that 5th year option for the QB.

You are right.

The more I process this, the more I realize that if the team is going to trade down from 25 or 33, a team's desire for a QB is not likely to be the driving force.

We've already discussed the picks between 25-33 and below. 

An examination of the picks above our second first round pick shows a slew of teams between 18 and 24 that could easily be in the market for a QB in the spring, making the likelihood of a QB falling to us at 25 small.

Miami sits at 18 and there has been talk that the team has soured on Tua after one season.  I don't buy it.  That said, I could see the team making a move for Deshaun Watson, who, at present, represents a substantial upgrade over Tua.  Watson and that defense could make a lot of noise in the postseason next year.  But if they were to go the rookie route, I think it would be far more likely to happen at 3 instead of at 18.  If they don't trade for Watson, they are more apt to put pieces around Tua to help ensure his success. 

Next at 19 is Washington.  I think of the teams in this group, Washington is more likely to go with a rookie QB since they flamed out with Haskins.  That said, like Miami, they would seem to benefit greatly from a steady and competent veteran presence.  That is another team with a strong defense, and if they straighten out the QB position, could make noise in the postseason.  If they go the vet route, I'm betting they would try to improve LT.  Their positioning at 19 would seemingly put them in a good spot to land that group of Ts that would seem to be on the board at the bottom half of the 1st round at this point (and some will undoubtedly rise during the pre-draft process).  I think this would make them less likely to move down.

Da Bears are at 20, and they seemingly always need a competent signal caller.  While I think they could go either the vet or rookie route, I would put them in the veteran category.  I don't think Nagy is secure enough in his position to go with a rookie, and their defense is still potentially good enough to enable them to do harm in the postseason if they get QB straight.  If they don't go with a rookie QB, I think they will either go WR to replace the likely to leave Allen Robinson, or T to upgrade Charles Leno at LT.

Indy is at 21, and I think they will go for a vet.  Just about everything else is in place for them to go that route. If the reports are true, they have yet to offer a first round pick for Wentz.  If they pull off that trade without giving up their #1, I think they try for one of the Ts to replace retired LT Anthony Casztonzo.  Their slot at 21 should put them in the middle of the T group, so even if they get their vet and a QB is there, I'm not sure they would trade down.  But as for QB, if they can't pull of the trade for the vet they want, they may decide to take the QB if one they like drops.  Screw the Colts.

Screw the tacks at 22.  It's highly doubtful they go for a QB there.  They will likely go for an edge rusher.  They seemingly draft them every other year and they never seem to pan out.  CB is also likely here, as their secondary fell off considerably.  

The Jets are sitting at 23, thanks to the Jamal Adams trade.  However, I firmly believe they will have decided on QB by this point, either by sticking with Darnold, trading for Watson, or drafting a guy like Zach Wilson at 2.  They have numerous holes in the roster.  They could stay here and be among the group that drafts a T here, or could trade down from here for a team looking to jump...

Pittsburgh, who sits at 24.  Pittsburgh should be in the market for a rookie signal caller to follow Big Ben.  This is a team teetering on the brink of collapse.  Big Ben is near the end, and is in the last year of his contract.  He showed signs of decline, and will minimally lose three key contributors to their offense:  LT A. Villanueva, C M. Pouncey, and WR JuJe Smith Schuster.  If a QB somehow fell to them, I wouldn't see them passing him up unless they simply flat out didn't like him.  In that case, they would be prime candidates for one of the tackles, so at this stage, I wouldn't see them as a team that would trade down or pass on a QB prospect.

So any team looking to trade up into the bottom half of the first round has two relatively small windows into which to trade to find a signal caller that falls:  picks 22-23, and picks 26-31.  Those spots do not readily lend themselves to the Jaguars trading down with a QB hungry team.  The prime and/urgent spots would, in both cases, be above the Jaguars picks at 25 and 33.

The way it sounds anyway Mac Jones is going anywhere from 12-19 and then there is a gulf before Trask goes off the board probably late day 2 or early day 3. We could get trade offers, but it would probably be to get in on an OT run or something like that and not anything QB related.

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2021, 09:33 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-15-2021, 09:19 PM)Upper Wrote: The way it sounds anyway Mac Jones is going anywhere from 12-19 and then there is a gulf before Trask goes off the board probably late day 2 or early day 3. We could get trade offers, but it would probably be to get in on an OT run or something like that and not anything QB related.

This is what I am thinking.

Based on what I heard from the Senior Bowl chatter, Mac Jones' stock is rising.  He could fall within the higher end of that spectrum. 

While there was some early talk about Trask being a possible first rounder, that talk seems to have cooled considerably.

I could easily see the kid from ND State fall, as he has come from a small program, has only one game this past season (which wasn't that good), with GMs generally being risk averse, especially when it comes to first round picks, Trey Kance, while seemingly a specimen, could drop lower than anticipated.

But year, I think one team's desire for a particular player outside of QB would drive any trade down.

(02-15-2021, 05:07 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Depends on who's left on the board.  There's a few guys I like that if are there, I wouldn't trade back.  Trading back might be a good option though, because a lot of those guys may be gone by then.

FWIW, Tony Pauline has his big board up.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-d...-rankings/

(02-15-2021, 09:19 PM)Upper Wrote: The way it sounds anyway Mac Jones is going anywhere from 12-19 and then there is a gulf before Trask goes off the board probably late day 2 or early day 3. We could get trade offers, but it would probably be to get in on an OT run or something like that and not anything QB related.

Personally, I can see a desperate team trading up into the later part of round 1 to select Trask. Not that he should be taken that early, but there are a ton of teams looking for QB help and only a handful of top rated QB's in this draft. As big as the divide is between Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields and even presumably Trey Lance is to Trask, the divide is so much greater from Trask to the next QB to get drafted. It's like a giant cliff. If you don't get one of the top 6 QB's in this draft, you're likely stuck with what you already have at the position. Not that all of these guys are gonna succeed, undoubtedly some won't. I just don't see any potential starters at all after the top 6 QB's though and some teams will see that and inevitably inflate Trask's value. It happens every year.

(02-15-2021, 09:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Personally, I can see a desperate team trading up into the later part of round 1 to select Trask. Not that he should be taken that early, but there are a ton of teams looking for QB help and only a handful of top rated QB's in this draft. As big as the divide is between Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields and even presumably Trey Lance is to Trask, the divide is so much greater from Trask to the next QB to get drafted. It's like a giant cliff. If you don't get one of the top 6 QB's in this draft, you're likely stuck with what you already have at the position. Not that all of these guys are gonna succeed, undoubtedly some won't. I just don't see any potential starters at all after the top 6 QB's though and some teams will see that and inevitably inflate Trask's value. It happens every year.

Normally I would be in complete agreement with you.

But I think because QBs are such a premium position, they are likely to go very early, which means those teams in the middle of the pack who still need a QB will have to give up more for that desperation trade up.  Since there is this gulf between Trask and the upper tier QBs, and the teams ahead of them have already met their QB needs in many instaces, they could wait for him to fall some and save draft capital, if they decide to not wait a year for their QB.

(02-15-2021, 09:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 09:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I can see a desperate team trading up into the later part of round 1 to select Trask. Not that he should be taken that early, but there are a ton of teams looking for QB help and only a handful of top rated QB's in this draft. As big as the divide is between Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Fields and even presumably Trey Lance is to Trask, the divide is so much greater from Trask to the next QB to get drafted. It's like a giant cliff. If you don't get one of the top 6 QB's in this draft, you're likely stuck with what you already have at the position. Not that all of these guys are gonna succeed, undoubtedly some won't. I just don't see any potential starters at all after the top 6 QB's though and some teams will see that and inevitably inflate Trask's value. It happens every year.

Normally I would be in complete agreement with you.

But I think because QBs are such a premium position, they are likely to go very early, which means those teams in the middle of the pack who still need a QB will have to give up more for that desperation trade up.  Since there is this gulf between Trask and the upper tier QBs, and the teams ahead of them have already met their QB needs in many instaces, they could wait for him to fall some and save draft capital, if they decide to not wait a year for their QB.

We'll just have to wait and see. With teams like the Jets, Houston, Carolina, Denver, San Francisco, New England, Washington, Chicago, Indianapolis and possibly New Orleans, Atlanta and Dallas all targeting a new QB and many being able to acquire one via a trade or free agency, this is gonna be very interesting.

FWIW here is daniel Jeremiah's early big board

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...nkings-1-0

(This post was last modified: 02-15-2021, 10:20 PM by Bullseye.)

Here is the Draft network's big board...

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

and Walterfootball.com

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftbigboard

I think all of the Trask hype was simply built on box scores. No one that seriously watched him without extremely biased gator homer eyes ever saw anything more than a spot starter/quality backup type.