Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2021 draft rumors and tweets

It's 2021 guys, there is no functional difference between LT and RT.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-08-2021, 02:08 PM)Upper Wrote: It's 2021 guys, there is no functional difference between LT and RT.

Strongly disagree.

Teams still draft LTs higher than RTs, pay them more, and teams mostly put their best pass rushers on the offensive left side.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-08-2021, 02:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 02:08 PM)Upper Wrote: It's 2021 guys, there is no functional difference between LT and RT.

Strongly disagree.

Teams still draft LTs higher than RTs, pay them more, and teams mostly put their best pass rushers on the offensive left side.

Just because they do doesn't mean they should, just look how long it took for moneyball/analytics to get adopted in MLB. It's on it's way in the NFL but significantly behind. Also, I think the evidence disagrees that most best pass rushers are on the LT side, it's split pretty even right now. They also vary where the pressure is coming from now too, obviously. If you have a serious liability at RT the other team isn't just going to keep smashing their best pass rusher into the LT every play.

Here is the famous PFF article from almost a decade ago now, and it's even more true now than then. https://www.pff.com/news/examining-press...overvalued

(03-08-2021, 02:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Strongly disagree.

Agree 110%.

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 04:07 PM by Bullseye.)

Not so much a rumor.

On NFL Network's NFL Now program, they are interviewing Tulsa LB Zaven Collins.

He said the Jaguars are one of the teams that have not met with him on Zoom.

Edit:  On a somewhat related note, the Jaguars have had several zoom meetings with BYU QB Zach Wilson.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2021/3/8/2...i9CTjWFWHU

I wonder if there is any chance Meyer takes Wilson over TL or has the media already made his pick for him. Wilson going to be a super star

(03-08-2021, 04:33 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: I wonder if there is any chance Meyer takes Wilson over TL or has the media already made his pick for him. Wilson going to be a super star

Wilson might be a super star, but he's only been great for one season, against inferior competition.  TL has been great for 3 seasons, against top notch competition, including playoff games.   I'd take TL over Wilson 10 times out of 10.

There is a difference, the LT blocks the QBs blind side.  If he is a right handed QB of course.

(03-08-2021, 04:38 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 04:33 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: I wonder if there is any chance Meyer takes Wilson over TL or has the media already made his pick for him. Wilson going to be a super star

Wilson might be a super star, but he's only been great for one season, against inferior competition.  TL has been great for 3 seasons, against top notch competition, including playoff games.   I'd take TL over Wilson 10 times out of 10.

Lawrence competition really isn’t very good either.. only ND was a good team. Yes, in the playoffs he faced stiff competition and got the doors blown off by Ohio st and severely outplayed by Fields.

(03-08-2021, 05:20 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 04:38 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Wilson might be a super star, but he's only been great for one season, against inferior competition.  TL has been great for 3 seasons, against top notch competition, including playoff games.   I'd take TL over Wilson 10 times out of 10.

Lawrence competition really isn’t very good either.. only ND was a good team. Yes, in the playoffs he faced stiff competition and got the doors blown off by Ohio st and severely outplayed by Fields.

He blew out Alabama in the National title game as a Freshman.

He is 1-1 in the playoffs against Ohio State.

Played LSU in the National Title game as a Soph.

So he's 1-1 in National championship games in 3 years?

Not that I think a lower level of competition is overly persuasive in either side of this debate, but I don't think that applies to TL anywhere near as much as it applies to Wilson.

(03-08-2021, 05:20 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 04:38 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Wilson might be a super star, but he's only been great for one season, against inferior competition.  TL has been great for 3 seasons, against top notch competition, including playoff games.   I'd take TL over Wilson 10 times out of 10.

Wilson was very mediocre as a freshman, mediocre as a sophomore, and had one big breakout year this last season.  Against Navy, Army, Troy, Louisiana Tech, Texas- San Antonio, Houston, Texas State, Western Kentucky, Boise State, Coastal Carolina, San Diego State, and UCF.

(03-08-2021, 06:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 05:20 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: Lawrence competition really isn’t very good either.. only ND was a good team. Yes, in the playoffs he faced stiff competition and got the doors blown off by Ohio st and severely outplayed by Fields.

Wilson was very mediocre as a freshman, mediocre as a sophomore, and had one big breakout year this last season.  Against Navy, Army, Troy, Louisiana Tech, Texas- San Antonio, Houston, Texas State, Western Kentucky, Boise State, Coastal Carolina, San Diego State, and UCF.

You have apparently looked up Wilson's schedule, and I presume any bowl games he may have played.

Has he played anyone close in caliber to Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State at any point?

I would say the best teams he played in his career were Wisconsin and Washington and got crushed in those games.

Not sure level of competition is something you want to argue if you are a Wilson supporter.

(03-08-2021, 05:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

There is a difference, the LT blocks the QBs blind side.  If he is a right handed QB of course.

There is compelling evidence that pressure in the QBs face actually leads to more problems than blindside pressure.

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 09:25 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-08-2021, 08:55 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 05:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There is a difference, the LT blocks the QBs blind side.  If he is a right handed QB of course.

There is compelling evidence that pressure in the QBs face actually leads to more problems than blindside pressure.

I'm not buying that.

(03-08-2021, 06:53 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 06:24 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Wilson was very mediocre as a freshman, mediocre as a sophomore, and had one big breakout year this last season.  Against Navy, Army, Troy, Louisiana Tech, Texas- San Antonio, Houston, Texas State, Western Kentucky, Boise State, Coastal Carolina, San Diego State, and UCF.

You have apparently looked up Wilson's schedule, and I presume any bowl games he may have played.

Has he played anyone close in caliber to Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State at any point?

I would say the best teams he played in his career were Wisconsin and Washington and got crushed in those games.

Not sure level of competition is something you want to argue if you are a Wilson supporter.

That was his entire schedule last year, including the bowl game against UCF.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 07:59 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Another Urban guy
https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/03...-marsette/

In a shocker, Rashawn Slater measured in at a respectable 6'4" at his pro day after being listed by Northwestern as 6'3". Rarely do you ever see a school under-selling a players size. I thought he'd be closer to 6'2" and some change, making him more of an OG type, but at 6'4", he's a legit LT.

(03-09-2021, 09:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: In a shocker, Rashawn Slater measured in at a respectable 6'4" at his pro day after being listed by Northwestern as 6'3". Rarely do you ever see a school under-selling a players size. I thought he'd be closer to 6'2" and some change, making him more of an OG type, but at 6'4", he's a legit LT.

So how does that change your analysis?

If he has legit LT size, where would you project him to go?

Does he perhaps push a T down?

(03-09-2021, 10:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 09:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: In a shocker, Rashawn Slater measured in at a respectable 6'4" at his pro day after being listed by Northwestern as 6'3". Rarely do you ever see a school under-selling a players size. I thought he'd be closer to 6'2" and some change, making him more of an OG type, but at 6'4", he's a legit LT.

So how does that change your analysis?

If he has legit LT size, where would you project him to go?

Does he perhaps push a T down?

On my personal draft board or where I actually see guys getting drafted?

On my own personal draft board, I had him as the top rated OG by a large margin. Now I know that he has the legitimate size to be an NFL LT, I move him over to the OT group and he is basically neck and neck with Darrisaw for the #2 overall OT, behind Penei Sewell. 

As for where I actually see him getting drafted, nothing changes. I had him going to the Niners before his workout and I still see him being taken there. I am assuming some team is gonna offer Trent Williams a ton of money to leave San Francisco. If the Niners retain Williams, I see Slater falling no further than one position where the Chargers would snap him up in a heartbeat. Right now I have......

#5 Cincinnati- Penei Sewell
#12 San Francisco- Rashawn Slater
#13 L.A. Chargers- Christian Darrisaw
#20 Chicago Bears- Teven Jenkins
#27 Baltimore- Alijah-Vera Tucker (could be used at OG or RT)
#39 Carolina- Liam Eichenberg
#42 New York Giants- Jalen Mayfield
#50 Miami- Samuel Cosmi
#53 Indianapolis- Dillon Radunz
#56 Pittsburgh- Walker Little

(03-10-2021, 12:30 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: ...

As for where I actually see him getting drafted, nothing changes. I had him going to the Niners before his workout and I still see him being taken there. I am assuming some team is gonna offer Trent Williams a ton of money to leave San Francisco. If the Niners retain Williams, I see Slater falling no further than one position where the Chargers would snap him up in a heartbeat. Right now I have......

#5 Cincinnati- Penei Sewell
#12 San Francisco- Rashawn Slater
#13 L.A. Chargers- Christian Darrisaw
#20 Chicago Bears- Teven Jenkins
#27 Baltimore- Alijah-Vera Tucker (could be used at OG or RT)
#39 Carolina- Liam Eichenberg
#42 New York Giants- Jalen Mayfield
#50 Miami- Samuel Cosmi
#53 Indianapolis- Dillon Radunz
#56 Pittsburgh- Walker Little

...biggest surprise for me here is that you don't see us taking any of these guys, or that we're left with a steaming pile by the time 66 rolls around. Ugh.