Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2021 draft rumors and tweets

I think they stay at 4 and take Pitts

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If they could get an extra 1st+ just to move to 9 they should.

(04-05-2021, 01:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think they stay at 4 and take Pitts

(04-05-2021, 01:26 PM)Upper Wrote: If they could get an extra 1st+ just to move to 9 they should.

There are compelling arguments for both approaches.

Arthur Smith used 2 TE formations with the tacks last year more than every other team, so having two viable TEs would seem to fit their scheme/offensive philosophy. But perhaps more importantly, adding Pitts with Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley and Hayden Hurst would make them virtually impossible to defend. Barring injury or age based decline from the part of Julio Jones, there would be matchup problems across the board for any defense.

Of course, having two first round picks in a subsequent draft would give the Falcons a lot of options in the future. They could add two good players, use the picks to trade up, or trade a pick down to accumulate more picks. Plus, there is the possibility-albeit small, that Pitts could still end up on the board at 9

I think Atlanta should take the QB while they can. This is a strong class of QBs in this first round, they are in position to land one of them if they do nothing, and they won't know how strong future draft classes will be or when they will be in the position to draft a top QB again.

However, if they are going to eschew QB and stick with Ryan for another year or two, , it makes sense to give him as much help as possible.

Bottom line: Atlanta is in a GREAT position. Either they stand pat and get one of the top QBs, stand pat or take the player they think is thebest position player other than QB, or they can get a nice haul by trading back. The only way this wouldn't give them the optimal return is if the Jets stand pat at 2 and don't take a QB.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 02:13 PM by Upper.)

Pitts is awesome. He's not a whole first round pick and more better than Surtain or Waddle or whoever really good player will be there at 9.

Now if they absolutely love one of Fields or Lance and want to stay there to take a QB then that's a different story.

If Atlanta can secure a 2022 first from Denver to move up, they should take it for sure. Number 9 this year would still be a top 5 non-QB and Denver is likely to suck this year. That pick has a very good chance to be top 3 in next years class.

Where did that come from? No way do I think Den would do that

(04-05-2021, 10:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Where did that come from?  No way do I think Den would do that

I believe if Denver stands where they are now, they will have their choice of Fields or Lance.

(04-05-2021, 11:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 10:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Where did that come from?  No way do I think Den would do that

I believe if Denver stands where they are now, they will have their choice of Fields or Lance.

I thought you have Atlanta taking Fields?

(04-06-2021, 06:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 11:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I believe if Denver stands where they are now, they will have their choice of Fields or Lance.

I thought you have Atlanta taking Fields?

Not now. After reading about how Atlanta structured Matt Ryan's contract and how they would take a massive cap hit if he is cut or traded in the next two years, I now have them taking Kyle Pitts.

(04-05-2021, 02:13 PM)Upper Wrote: Pitts is awesome. He's not a whole first round pick and more better than Surtain or Waddle or whoever really good player will be there at 9.

Now if they absolutely love one of Fields or Lance and want to stay there to take a QB then that's a different story.

Here's a fun one, though. If SFO takes Mac, Fields and Lance are still on the board. Fields is probably the better QB today, and maybe going into the future. Do you roll the dice, trade back, and hope that Lance is still there at 9? If it's Lance and Mac on the board at 4, do you pick or trade?

(04-06-2021, 09:13 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 02:13 PM)Upper Wrote: Pitts is awesome. He's not a whole first round pick and more better than Surtain or Waddle or whoever really good player will be there at 9.

Here's a fun one, though. If SFO takes Mac, Fields and Lance are still on the board. Fields is probably the better QB today, and maybe going into the future. Do you roll the dice, trade back, and hope that Lance is still there at 9? If it's Lance and Mac on the board at 4, do you pick or trade?

Good questios.

If I'm Atlanta and I have a legitimate interest in the QBs, I don't get cute and trade back and risk losing them.  Other teams are liable to do anything and you can't control them.  If you are trading back to 9, then Denver presumably has an interest in one of the two OBs, which would mean four of the five QBs that carried first round grades will be off the board.   With Darnold now in Carolina, this could cause a remaining QB hungry team like Chicago or Washington to get desperate.  What would stop Detroit from trading back?  Or Carolina?  Heck, it's not out of the realm of possibility Carolina doubles down on QB if one fell to them.

If it's Lance and Mac on the board, I'm more inclined to keep the pick and take Pitts and let teams below me fight for the remaining QBs.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 08:31 AM by HolsterHusto.)

I’ve seen a lot of people linking the Dolphins to Pitts at 6. If that where to happen, maybe we should seriously inquire into Mike Gesicki. Pitts and Gesicki are way too similar for Miami to keep both.

I would looove Gesicki.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 09:50 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-07-2021, 06:34 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: I’ve seen a lot of people linking the Dolphins to Pitts at 6. If that where to happen, maybe we should seriously inquire into Mike Gesicki. Pitts and Gesicki are way too similar for Miami to keep both.

I haven't seen anyone discuss that, but it would seem to make sense on some level.

Gesicki went to Penn State, and may have been coached by our current TE coach as the immediate predecessor to Friermuth.  If the draft plays out that the Fish took Pitts, Gesicki could become available.  He would be an immediate upgrade at a position of dire need.  He is experienced, so he has already adjusted to NFL defenders and coverages and has received NFL coaching.  The only adjustments for him would be moving to Jacksonville and adjustiing to our schemes and his new teammates.

But being a Belichick disciple, perhaps Flores would utilize more 2 TE sets himself.  

This topic raises a possibility I am growing to embrace more the closer we get to the draft.  If somehow we miss out on the TE of our choice in the first three rounds, it may be preferable to trade a 4th round pick (and perhaps even a later pick) for a veteran TE like Ertz or Njoku.  In fact, depending upon how you feel about Friermuth and post workout Brevin Jordan, it may even be our best strategy in upgrading the position.

(04-07-2021, 06:27 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/04...eli-stove/

Thanks a million for this. 

I've wanted to find a list like this.  I used to have a regular site I'd go to to track these things, but I have lost the link.

(04-07-2021, 08:18 AM)Upper Wrote: I would looove Gesicki.

(04-07-2021, 09:47 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 06:34 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: I’ve seen a lot of people linking the Dolphins to Pitts at 6. If that where to happen, maybe we should seriously inquire into Mike Gesicki. Pitts and Gesicki are way too similar for Miami to keep both.

I haven't seen anyone discuss that, but it would seem to make sense on some level.

Gesicki went to Penn State, and may have been coached by our current TE coach as the immediate predecessor to Friermuth.  If the draft plays out that the Fish took Pitts, Gesicki could become available.  He would be an immediate upgrade at a position of dire need.  He is experienced, so he has already adjusted to NFL defenders and coverages and has received NFL coaching.  The only adjustments for him would be moving to Jacksonville and adjustiing to our schemes and his new teammates.

But being a Belichick disciple, perhaps Flores would utilize more 2 TE sets himself.  

This topic raises a possibility I am growing to embrace more the closer we get to the draft.  If somehow we miss out on the TE of our choice in the first three rounds, it may be preferable to trade a 4th round pick (and perhaps even a later pick) for a veteran TE like Ertz or Njoku.  In fact, depending upon how you feel about Friermuth and post workout Brevin Jordan, it may even be our best strategy in upgrading the position.

(04-07-2021, 06:27 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/04...eli-stove/

I've wanted to find a list like this.  I used to have a regular site I'd go to to track these things, but I have lost the link.

I haven’t seen anyone mention Gesicki could be a trade candidate but I have seen more and more people connecting Pitts to Miami (including Miami fans). I honestly can’t see a two TE set with Pitts and Gesicki working as neither one of them is known for their blocking. Another thing to consider is Gesicki is in the final year of his contract so Miami may want to get something for him while they can.

Apparently, Urban recruited Gesicki hard and Gesicki even said the hardest thing he had to do was tell Urban that he was going to Penn State instead. 

Probably a long shot of happening, but a Gesicki/Manhertz two TE set would be perfect. Gesicki has the intangibles to be a matchup nightmare in the passing game and Manhertz is considered to be one of the best blocking TEs in the league.

My only question would be what would fair compensation for a young TE like Gesicki be?

(04-07-2021, 10:06 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 08:18 AM)Upper Wrote: I would looove Gesicki.

(04-07-2021, 09:47 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I haven't seen anyone discuss that, but it would seem to make sense on some level.

I haven’t seen anyone mention Gesicki could be a trade candidate but I have seen more and more people connecting Pitts to Miami (including Miami fans). I honestly can’t see a two TE set with Pitts and Gesicki working as neither one of them is known for their blocking. Another thing to consider is Gesicki is in the final year of his contract so Miami may want to get something for him while they can.

Apparently, Urban recruited Gesicki hard and Gesicki even said the hardest thing he had to do was tell Urban that he was going to Penn State instead. 

Probably a long shot of happening, but a Gesicki/Manhertz two TE set would be perfect. Gesicki has the intangibles to be a matchup nightmare in the passing game and Manhertz is considered to be one of the best blocking TEs in the league.

My only question would be what would fair compensation for a young TE like Gesicki be?
I could see them in 2 TE sets. 

Though neither is known for his blocking, defenses would still have to deal with the personnel conundrum the two TE sets would pose.  At their size they would be capable of overpowering DBs in the run game if a defense loaded up on DBs to defend the 2 TE look.

I think Gesicki being in the last year of his deal could play a factor, though.

Though it does not come as a surprise, I had  not heard UM heavily recruited Gesicki. 

The approrpriate compensation for Gesicki is a good question.   My guess would be somewhere in the 3rd-4th round range.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 11:59 AM by irontrooper83.)

I don't think Miami gets Pitts and I don't think they'd move Gesicki.

But I would love to have him here. It would require some creative thinking from of our FO but it's a move they could try to make if Miami really ends up with Pitts.

Being is final year of contract I think that our 3rd rounder could do it (even plus a future day 3 pick) but honestly I'd have no issues giving them pick 45 if that spares us from drafting Freiermuth with one of our top 4 picks. I'd rather keep pick 45 of course but I rather have Gesicki with that pick than Freiermuth, even with the rookie contract and all.

With our 3rd rounder would be a no brainer to me. Don't see it happening though.

No chance Miami trades Gesicki but they could easily get a 2nd for him and I'd trade pick 45 for him without question. Maybe even 33

Kyle Pitts has great potential and is likely to eventually be a pro bowler. However, I would wait awhile before putting him in Canton. The hype on him is just getting a little overdone, in my opinion. Those wanting the Jaguars to "give up the farm" to trade up for him are misguided. They have too many needs to part with valuable 2021 and 2022 draft picks.

As far as the Dolphins drafting Pitts and trading Gesicki, I think they'd be crazy. They'd be better off taking one of the elite receivers like Jamar Chase or Devonta Smith. If they did draft Pitts and attempt to trade Gesicki to the Jaguars, I'd certainly hope the Jags strongly consider it- but for no more than their 2nd pick in round 2. Who knows, maybe the Dolphins would even take the Jaguars' 3rd rounder since it's the first pick in that round. Gesicki would be a great complement to Manhertz and will be ready to contribute right away, while a rookie like Freirmuth will likely need some time to develop- like most rookie tight ends. 

If the Dolphins do not trade Gesicki, I want the Jaguars to take Freirmuth with pick 1 in the 2nd round. Many mocks have him being selected at pick 45, but there is a decent chance he'll be gone before that. There is a very big gap between Freirmuth and the next tight end, Brevin Jordan. Despite the skepticism of some on this Board, I believe Freirmuth will become a major weapon for Lawrence. As a Penn State fan, I'd actually prefer him to Gesicki due to being a more complete player. He may not have the elite speed of a Kyle Pitts, but the guy is great making contested catches and hardly ever drops the ball. I was very unhappy when the Jaguars passed on Dallas Goedert in favor of Taven Bryan, and that was before Bryan became a major bust since the 2018 draft.