Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jonnu Smith might be available for Jaguars in FA..

Jonnu Smith's speed is becoming a viable weapon for Titans. He had two plays in which he reached 20-plus mph on Sunday, per Next Gen Stats. They were two of the fastest plays by a tight end this season.Finished the season with 8 TD catches one against the Jaguars.. Dec 20, 2019

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The Pats signing two TE to top 5 deals was the most bizarre thing about last year's FA period. Jonnu might have been so good for Trevor too.

I'm glad we didn't sign Smith to that contract, hes overrated. I wanted Henry. I'd rather Gesicki than Smith

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 09:30 AM by ATLjag. Edited 1 time in total.)

For $2.5m this next year, I do like Dan Arnold. Of course, I would like to see another effective receiving TE to pair with him, to give Trevor weapons this next season. The Henderson trade, bringing in Arnold and upgrading to a 3rd round pick, was actually one of the smarter moves that Baalke made (giving him credit when it is due).

(01-20-2022, 09:28 AM)ATLjag Wrote: For $2.5m this next year, I do like Dan Arnold.  Of course, I would like to see another effective receiving TE to pair with him, to give Trevor weapons this next season.  The Henderson trade, bringing in Arnold and upgrading to a 3rd round pick, was actually one of the smarter moves that Baalke made (giving him credit when it is due).
Yeah, if Arnold can stay healthy I think he can be a top 10 TE next year and prove some of the doubters wrong.  Him and Trev had a connection on the short time they were able to be together.  I think a full offseason together will be great for them.

maybe we can get him for a bargain

Still overlooking all of the drops and penalties Arnold had huh? For every good player he made for us (I don't consider a forced 2 yard catch and run a good play fwiw) he made two negative plays. And that's before we get to the negative blocking aspect.

Jonnu is overpaid obviously, but there's no way we would have been able to spend to the cap by time his dead money would be gone so it wouldn't have mattered. He is a very good blocker and could really open up the seams for Trevor.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 01:41 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-20-2022, 12:24 AM)Upper Wrote: The Pats signing two TE to top 5 deals was the most bizarre thing about last year's FA period. Jonnu might have been so good for Trevor too.

Why would it be bizarre? Makes sense actually. They ran twin TE sets off and on now for years in New England under Belichick. Gronkowski & Hernandez, Watson & Graham, etc. 

They were trying to surround their rookie QB or next QB with as many viable options that they could find on offense. Wasn't much out there in the market last year in March at WR.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-20-2022, 01:40 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 12:24 AM)Upper Wrote: The Pats signing two TE to top 5 deals was the most bizarre thing about last year's FA period. Jonnu might have been so good for Trevor too.

Why would it be bizarre? Makes sense actually. They ran twin TE sets off and on now for years in New England under Belichick. Gronkowski & Hernandez, Watson & Graham, etc. 

They were trying to surround their rookie QB or next QB with as many viable options that they could find on offense. Wasn't much out there in the market last year in March at WR.

It's not a wise position to have two large cap hits in. They also just drafted Asiasi and Keene on day 2 the year before.

(01-20-2022, 03:28 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 01:40 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Why would it be bizarre? Makes sense actually. They ran twin TE sets off and on now for years in New England under Belichick. Gronkowski & Hernandez, Watson & Graham, etc. 

It's not a wise position to have two large cap hits in. They also just drafted Asiasi and Keene on day 2 the year before.

They spent a [BLEEP] ton of money in March and it got them back into the play-off's after one year without Brady. Call it what you will. They took a swing for the fences and at least made a quick turnaround. 

Meanwhile, this team sits on cap space like a damn Dragon guarding it's treasure in a cave. It's frustrating as hell.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The drops is the curse of the 2021 jags. King of the drops was just about every wr especially #10 jr

(01-20-2022, 05:51 PM)Jag88 Wrote: The drops is the curse of the 2021 jags. King of the drops was just about every wr especially #10 jr

They were talking about him today on 1010XL. DiRoc was saying he would be 5th or 6th on the depth chart going into training camp currently. Agnew would be ahead of him. Which, I agree with. Agnew showed plenty of speed and made a crazy catch in Cincinnati and that's with very limited experience and practice at the position. 

If they bring back Chark. Keep Jones. They'll have Agnew. They're probably looking at signing at least one or two free agents or drafting at least one or two receivers. Mike was questioning how the hell do you keep all of them? DiRoc's argument was that it doesn't matter. You have to figure out the best WR's and give Lawrence a chance. 

Realistically they'll probably carry six into the regular season. It'll be interesting. But, if they're going to make a move and get rid of Sheanault they'll need to do it sooner rather than later.

(01-20-2022, 05:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 03:28 PM)Upper Wrote: It's not a wise position to have two large cap hits in. They also just drafted Asiasi and Keene on day 2 the year before.

They spent a [BLEEP] ton of money in March and it got them back into the play-off's after one year without Brady. Call it what you will. They took a swing for the fences and at least made a quick turnaround. 

Meanwhile, this team sits on cap space like a damn Dragon guarding it's treasure in a cave. It's frustrating as hell.

All of that is true, but it would have been even better had they spent that second big TE contract on something else impactful.

I pray that we take the same impactful approach this time around, but I don't think we will be able to attract the players to make it happen.

(01-20-2022, 06:00 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 05:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote: They spent a [BLEEP] ton of money in March and it got them back into the play-off's after one year without Brady. Call it what you will. They took a swing for the fences and at least made a quick turnaround. 

All of that is true, but it would have been even better had they spent that second big TE contract on something else impactful.

I pray that we take the same impactful approach this time around, but I don't think we will be able to attract the players to make it happen.

Depends on the next coaching hire and whether or not Baalke is retained.

(01-20-2022, 05:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 05:51 PM)Jag88 Wrote: The drops is the curse of the 2021 jags. King of the drops was just about every wr especially #10 jr

They were talking about him today on 1010XL. DiRoc was saying he would be 5th or 6th on the depth chart going into training camp currently. Agnew would be ahead of him. Which, I agree with. Agnew showed plenty of speed and made a crazy catch in Cincinnati and that's with very limited experience and practice at the position. 

If they bring back Chark. Keep Jones. They'll have Agnew. They're probably looking at signing at least one or two free agents or drafting at least one or two receivers. Mike was questioning how the hell do you keep all of them? DiRoc's argument was that it doesn't matter. You have to figure out the best WR's and give Lawrence a chance. 

Realistically they'll probably carry six into the regular season. It'll be interesting. But, if they're going to make a move and get rid of Sheanault they'll need to do it sooner rather than later.

What's the rush?  Thinking we might actually be able to get a late round pick for him prior to this upcoming draft?
Would an extra 6th or 7th round pick be worth skipping out on seeing if this dude actually gets better?

I get it.  Dude has GOT to play better or be gone, and hopefully he spends a couple hundred hours on jugs machines in the off-season and learns to run crisper routes.  But he plays with a physicality with the ball in hands that not a lot of other WRs in the league play with.  I'd at least give him another training camp to show some improvement before I moved on from him.

(01-20-2022, 06:40 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 05:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote: They were talking about him today on 1010XL. DiRoc was saying he would be 5th or 6th on the depth chart going into training camp currently. Agnew would be ahead of him. Which, I agree with. Agnew showed plenty of speed and made a crazy catch in Cincinnati and that's with very limited experience and practice at the position. 

What's the rush?  Thinking we might actually be able to get a late round pick for him prior to this upcoming draft?
Would an extra 6th or 7th round pick be worth skipping out on seeing if this dude actually gets better?

I get it.  Dude has GOT to play better or be gone, and hopefully he spends a couple hundred hours on jugs machines in the off-season and learns to run crisper routes.  But he plays with a physicality with the ball in hands that not a lot of other WRs in the league play with.  I'd at least give him another training camp to show some improvement before I moved on from him.

His rookie performance coupled with his YAC ability earn him a spot in camp and chance to develop in my book. 

MANY receivers battle a bout of the drops and bounce back. 
He needs to get used to catching Lawrence's velocity IMO. It is entirely possible he adapts. If he doesn't - no biggie. His rookie contract ain't costing us much at all. 
I'd also REALLY like to see an OC utilize his skillset while mitigating his weaknesses with a package of plays designed for the kid. They weren't able to do that in '21 due to injuries at WR and moving Shenault to routes intended for others originally.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2022, 06:53 PM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-20-2022, 06:40 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 05:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote: They were talking about him today on 1010XL. DiRoc was saying he would be 5th or 6th on the depth chart going into training camp currently. Agnew would be ahead of him. Which, I agree with. Agnew showed plenty of speed and made a crazy catch in Cincinnati and that's with very limited experience and practice at the position. 

He looks like he'll always have a ceiling as gadget player. The Jaguars would be better off with Treadwell over him. If Chark comes back and the team gets another free agent or drafts a guy high Shenault realistically doesn't have a position. He wouldn't be one of your top three starters, and I'd rather bring in someone like Agnew as a backup who also returns kicks, and I'd rather have a young guy that could still develop behind those four and Treadwell. I won't be angry if Shenault is still on the team next year, but I don't see much point in keeping him around.

Shenault was 2nd in the league in drops, behind only the guy that we need to try to turn him into a lite version of: Deebo Samuel. Get extremely creative with ways to get him the ball in space with very easy to catch passes and obviously a bunch of backfield usage.

(01-20-2022, 05:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 03:28 PM)Upper Wrote: It's not a wise position to have two large cap hits in. They also just drafted Asiasi and Keene on day 2 the year before.

Regardless of whether the philosophy of spending big on 2 TE's is wise or not, Jonnu Smith was not worth the money last year. Henry was better and whether he was worth it is more debateable.