Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Frozen Wind Turbines in Texas Expose Major Flaw in Renewable Energy

I thought this stuff was supposed to work no matter what............

Frozen Wind Turbines in Texas Expose Major Flaw in Renewable Energy

Texas is facing significant power outages throughout the state with unprecedented winter storms, raising questions about the use of wind energy.

https://www.westernjournal.com/frozen-wi...QvzqT9wd24
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yep, just mention that in another thread. My BFF lives in Texas, outside of Dallas and she told me about the wind turbines freezing over.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Crazy watching the solar powered helicopters trying to de-ice the wind turbines.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2021, 07:52 AM by mikesez.)

Right. Most renewable sources won't help you when it gets way too cold. The only thing that works in extreme cold is burning stuff.
We should still have renewables for the other 363 days of the year though.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

[Image: B3387-F10-D607-46-A9-9-AF1-070320987-CAA.jpg]
[url=https://imgbb.com/][/url]
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Trump wouldn't have let Texas freeze.

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2021, 07:27 AM by SeldomRite.)

What's crazy is the desire of some to denigrate renewables. Wind generation in Texas was at or over expected generation capacity yesterday. The problems in Texas have to do with demand and non-renewable generation.

(02-16-2021, 07:26 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: What's crazy is the desire of some to denigrate renewables. Wind generation in Texas was at or over expected generation capacity yesterday. The problems in Texas have to do with demand and non-renewable generation.

People are sleeping in their cars in order not to die. Those cars are not Teslas.

Sit this one out maybe?

(02-16-2021, 08:31 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 07:26 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: What's crazy is the desire of some to denigrate renewables. Wind generation in Texas was at or over expected generation capacity yesterday. The problems in Texas have to do with demand and non-renewable generation.

People are sleeping in their cars in order not to die. Those cars are not Teslas.

Sit this one out maybe?

Every now and then I read something so idiotically non sequitur it kind of blows my mind. Congrats on reaching that level with that post.

(02-16-2021, 08:46 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 08:31 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: People are sleeping in their cars in order not to die. Those cars are not Teslas.

Sit this one out maybe?

Every now and then I read something so idiotically non sequitur it kind of blows my mind. Congrats on reaching that level with that post.

It's funny you joinied 18 years ago and this screenname still rings true. You have been wrong for a very long time.

It shouldn’t be denigrated. What needs to be understood is renewables are supplemental sources of energy. Using current methods they can never achieve the output level for primary source.

(02-16-2021, 08:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

It shouldn’t be denigrated. What needs to be understood is renewables are supplemental sources of energy. Using current methods they can never achieve the output level for primary source.

It's certainly interesting that while renewable output kept going while non renewable sources crapped the bed, instead of focusing on how to get more reliable and plentiful renewables there's a lot of hand waving around how unviable renewable energy sources are.

(02-16-2021, 09:00 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 08:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It shouldn’t be denigrated. What needs to be understood is renewables are supplemental sources of energy. Using current methods they can never achieve the output level for primary source.

It's certainly interesting that while renewable output kept going while non renewable sources crapped the bed, instead of focusing on how to get more reliable and plentiful renewables there's a lot of hand waving around how unviable renewable energy sources are.

The wind turbines did not freeze up?

My point being that in its current state, renewables cannot begin to satisfy total energy demands.

(02-16-2021, 09:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 09:00 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It's certainly interesting that while renewable output kept going while non renewable sources crapped the bed, instead of focusing on how to get more reliable and plentiful renewables there's a lot of hand waving around how unviable renewable energy sources are.

The wind turbines did not freeze up?

My point being that in its current state, renewables cannot begin to satisfy total energy demands.

I wouldn't doubt some turbines did have issues related to the weather, but clearly, as there are turbines in places where the kind of weather texas is currently experiencing is the norm, it's not that the weather has to cause them to malfunction.

As for your point about viability of renewables, it may be correct given current tech, but it really has nothing to do with the bizarre focus of discussion we're having now. Blaming the situation in Texas on wind turbines is like blaming James Robinson for the Jaguars record in 2020 because he couldn't carry the team when everything around him was falling apart.

Maybe if there wasn't such a push to kill fossil fuels and drive fuel prices up for regular citizens BEFORE perfecting a sustainable and reliable renewable resource, your average cynic would be more open to the idea.

The middle class is about to get crushed on energy costs under the Biden administration and they don't even see it coming.

Yeah, my frustration with the average leftist is that they fail to understand their role in breaking the system. You can't politicize every issue. This shouldn't be an either/or thing. It should be a scaffolded process that leads us to clean solutions while continuing to provide enough energy to foster safety and economic growth.

(02-16-2021, 11:31 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Yeah, my frustration with the average leftist is that they fail to understand their role in breaking the system. You can't politicize every issue. This shouldn't be an either/or thing. It should be a scaffolded process that leads us to clean solutions while continuing to provide enough energy to foster safety and economic growth.

Obama's motto on this issue was "all of the above".
How is that different from what you're wanting to see?

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2021, 01:10 PM by wrong_box.)

Geothermal companies should be beating the hell out of their drum after this flaw was "exposed", granted this situation is not something that happens often, but when it does, its a major catastrophe... We have a good bit of wind farms here in Pa., but not much of the potential is used for various reasons such as bad weather, wind speeds to high/low, etc. I can see one wind farm from my back yard in the distance and very few of them are spinning at a time, if any at all

From an article I just read. 

"In addition, the storms knocked out nearly half the state’s wind power generation capacity on Sunday. Wind generation ranks as the second-largest source of electricity in Texas, accounting for 23 percent of state power supplies, ERCOT estimates."

I'd say those renewable sources aren't working out so well. Regardless of how they were rendered useless they are not the answer for a primary source of power, or in this case just 23%.

There is a house down the road from me that has solar panels covering their roof. They have been rendered useless in our weather pattern of one sunny day for every six days of almost complete cloud cover and rain. And it's been this way for several weeks. I believe they are still tied into the grid so they haven't lost anything but they're not gaining anything either. 

The sun is a powerful tool but only when it's available. The same with wind and hydro. No wind and no water= no power.  

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2021, 08:00 AM by mikesez.)

Texas utilities have two problems that aren't related to renewables:
1) their grid is not connected to grids in other states,
2) most of their natural gas and coal plants aren't winterized.

If the water pipes around the power plant freeze, the plant has to shut down. And when their plants shut down, they can't buy electricity from other states. That's what's happening.