Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travel

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 09:11 AM by The Real Marty.)

The pandemic has killed travel.  But we can still fantasize.  So I have a question for all the travelers out there:

1) What is your favorite place you have been to?  
2) Where do you want to go that you haven't been to?  

Mine would be:

1) Favorite place I've been to: Florence, Italy.  I love history, and art, and Florence is compact, walkable, full of history and art, and we had a great time just being there and hanging out, seeing the sights, eating the food, and watching the other tourists. 
Honorable mention: Hong Kong, New York City.  

2) Place I want to go that I have not been to: Hawaii.  I'd like to spend a couple of weeks, relax and enjoy the weather and the scenery.
Honorable mention: I'd like to take a road trip either out West or to New England.  

What are yours?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For #1, as a city goes, I enjoyed Madrid. Close runners up would be Boston and Dallas. Dallas was fun, it was part of a business trip and we were basically wined and dined the whole time. Madrid was great because I majored in Spanish, so going there allowed me to fully immerse in the culture, enjoy a lot of sangria, and serve as tour guide for the gringos I traveled with. Only regret was not having enough time to venture over to Barcelona. As far as favorite place as a specific site, I'll say Cedar Point. I'm a coaster nut and growing up nearby spoiled me rotten.

#2 The easy answer is Ireland, would be great to trace my family roots, and I've heard it's a blast. Runners up would be Grand Canyon, Alaska, and Australia. Just need to avoid all the snakes and spiders, they grow them way too big and bitey for my liking.

All that said, when all this is done, I cannot wait to travel back to Ohio and see family. I miss them so much, phone calls just don't cut it.

Two of my favorites were Berlin Germany (where we got to tour the Reichstag building among many other things) and St. Ives in Cornwall England. St. Ives is a small town on the Cornish coast that is a summer vacation spot for Londoners but if you go during the shoulder season is wonderfully laid back. We've been to England a few times but never made it up to Scotland so would like to get up there one day. We've also been talking about visiting Poland for a number of years. As you can tell, I'm into the history aspect of travel. Would also like to see Hungary or Romania.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I've always wanted to see Australia and Hawaii.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I just travel within the United States. Usually I travel between DC and Jax (my second home) on the Amtrak. Although I've been to most of the states in the eastern 3rd of the US., Jax will always have a special place in my heart for me (I'll be back down there on 4/1)
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

I've been to lots of places. Always on port call or working. Never for vacation. I've been to Hawaii four times, twice on port call and twice for work. The first work trip I stayed six weeks in a nice hotel a block away from Waikiki beach. But I was getting up early every day to go to work. The second time I stayed in a hotel 10 days on Waikiki beach with my wife accompanying. Unfortunately I got sick as a dog. After working all day sick, I went back to the hotel where my wife was wanting to go out and about but all I wanted to do was lay down and shake with fever. Medicine would take the edge off for about an hour then it would come raging back. I felt so bad for her. We eventually did get to go do some things, but the first few days I was laid out.

Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Australia, Germany, Honduras, Korea, Spain, Bahrain, etc. - All working trips or port calls. I feel fortunate to have been able to see them, but no experience vacationing.

(02-19-2021, 12:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've been to lots of places. Always on port call or working. Never for vacation. I've been to Hawaii four times, twice on port call and twice for work. The first work trip I stayed six weeks in a nice hotel a block away from Waikiki beach. But I was getting up early every day to go to work. The second time I stayed in a hotel 10 days on Waikiki beach with my wife accompanying. Unfortunately I got sick as a dog. After working all day sick, I went back to the hotel where my wife was wanting to go out and about but all I wanted to do was lay down and shake with fever. Medicine would take the edge off for about an hour then it would come raging back. I felt so bad for her. We eventually did get to go do some things, but the first few days I was laid out.

Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Australia, Germany, Honduras, Korea, Spain, Bahrain, etc. - All working trips or port calls. I feel fortunate to have been able to see them, but no experience vacationing.

I've known a few people who traveled extensively for work, either in the military or as contractors for the military, and they always seem to have "seen enough" and have little interest in further travel.  How do you feel about it?

(02-19-2021, 12:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've been to lots of places. Always on port call or working. Never for vacation. I've been to Hawaii four times, twice on port call and twice for work. The first work trip I stayed six weeks in a nice hotel a block away from Waikiki beach. But I was getting up early every day to go to work. The second time I stayed in a hotel 10 days on Waikiki beach with my wife accompanying. Unfortunately I got sick as a dog. After working all day sick, I went back to the hotel where my wife was wanting to go out and about but all I wanted to do was lay down and shake with fever. Medicine would take the edge off for about an hour then it would come raging back. I felt so bad for her. We eventually did get to go do some things, but the first few days I was laid out.

Same for me.  I saw much of Europe, some of Africa and the Middle East when I was in the Navy.  I took a few tours in Italy (to the Vatican for Midnight Mass with The Pope), a 2 day tour in Israel and toured Athens Greece.  

I have also gone to Hawaii a few times for work as a contractor and stayed a block from the beach in Waikiki.  My wife flew out and met me there when the job was done and we spent 10 days vacationing.

I also have been to Mexico, Colombia, Puerto Rico and many of the islands in the Carabean.

To answer the OP's questions:

1) If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Hawaii.  

2)  I have been to 49 of 50 states so I would like to someday go to Alaska.  We may do it soon since we are getting ready to retire soon.

(02-19-2021, 01:29 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I've known a few people who traveled extensively for work, either in the military or as contractors for the military, and they always seem to have "seen enough" and have little interest in further travel.  How do you feel about it?

I know that you asked homebiscuit, but me personally I really don't have the desire to travel much anymore.  We usually try to go back to my home state (New Mexico) every couple of years or so and every so often take a cruise.  I got tired of airports, rental cars and hotels.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Alaska to visit.. Love the cold.. Can always wear layers to keep warm.. Can only take so many off though without going to jail or a psych ward..

Would love to retire out in the middle of the country somewhere.. Nebraska, Kansas ect.. Some small town with a population of 50 people with a small town country store. Some place where the local crime report is some kid stealing a rock from a guy's stone row..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 02:35 PM by homebiscuit.)

(02-19-2021, 01:29 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Traveling isn't the thrill it used to be, but for the sake of vacationing I would gladly go back to some of those places.

(02-19-2021, 02:06 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Alaska to visit.. Love the cold.. Can always wear layers to keep warm.. Can only take so many off though without going to jail or a psych ward..

Would love to retire out in the middle of the country somewhere.. Nebraska, Kansas ect.. Some small town with a population of 50 people with a small town country store. Some place where the local crime report is some kid stealing a rock from a guy's stone row..
I've been to Alaska a couple of times too. It's as beautiful as you imagine but no way would I want to be there in the winter. The first time I got there in September and it was still in the 60s. By the time I left in October, snow was on the ground and the Chena river had frozen over in three days. Florida was calling me back.
Living in a small town in Kansas was nice growing up. We never lost our car keys because, like everyone else, they were always left in the ignition whether parked at home or in town. Locks weren't allowed on school lockers and theft was never a problem. 
The thing is, meth and hard drugs has infiltrated even rural communities these days. I wonder if there is any place left so innocent anymore.

(02-19-2021, 02:25 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 01:29 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've known a few people who traveled extensively for work, either in the military or as contractors for the military, and they always seem to have "seen enough" and have little interest in further travel.  How do you feel about it?

Traveling isn't the thrill it used to be, but for the sake of vacationing I would gladly go back to some of those places.

(02-19-2021, 02:06 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Alaska to visit.. Love the cold.. Can always wear layers to keep warm.. Can only take so many off though without going to jail or a psych ward..

I've been to Alaska a couple of times too. It's as beautiful as you imagine but no way would I want to be there in the winter. The first time I got there in September and it was still in the 60s. By the time I left in October, snow was on the ground and the Chena river had frozen over in three days. Florida was calling me back.
Living in a small town in Kansas was nice growing up. We never lost our car keys because, like everyone else, they were always left in the ignition whether parked at home or in town. Locks weren't allowed on school lockers and theft was never a problem. 
The thing is, meth and hard drugs has infiltrated even rural communities these days. I wonder if there is any place left so innocent anymore.

Yeah.. Maybe I've been looking at too many Norman Rockwell paintings..

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 02:54 PM by mikesez.)

1) I had a chance recently to spend a couple of days in one small town in Germany (Muenster) and I did a study abroad in the big city (Hamburg). I'd go back to either place in a heartbeat, or Holland, or Belgium.

2) I'd like to spend some time in the small towns of the countries I mentioned, the ones most tourists just drive through. I'd also like to see the national parks out in the western US like Arches or Grand Canyon.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

I've seen the movie Taken.. Not leaving the US without Liam Neeson, thank you very much

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 03:34 PM by Jags.)

Count me in for AK and HI.  I’d love to see many of the states out west as well.  Mainly Wyoming, Montana.  Even check out the Pacifier NW.  all the NP’s along the way. I’ll drive through the desert to the the Grand Canyon, other than that drive through, not sure I care to see the same landscape that much.  Many people tell me the desert is pretty boring.  Others like it, who knows.  Have to see for myself one day.  

Sure, there may be places I’d like to see out of the U.S. but I’m not sure the urge to see them outweighs my not wanting to leave the states.  It would be mainly for the landscapes, architecture and food.  I think the US has enough of that to keep me busy.  

Although, I’d love to be in a boat in the middle of the ocean, solely to see the night sky in all its glory w/o any light pollution.

(02-19-2021, 02:54 PM)mikesez Wrote: 1) I had a chance recently to spend a couple of days in one small town in Germany (Muenster) and I did a study abroad in the big city (Hamburg).  I'd go back to either place in a heartbeat, or Holland, or Belgium.

2) I'd like to spend some time in the small towns of the countries I mentioned, the ones most tourists just drive through.  I'd also like to see the national parks out in the western US like Arches or Grand Canyon.

Do you speak German?

I travel fairly regularly to South America and love it down there but my favorite place I've been to is probably Japan. Very different culture, lots of history, extremely safe and clean. Cool place and I was lucky to be with a Japanese speaking buddy which made it all the better. Fugu!

Place I'd really like to go is both Germany and Italy. A lot of family history in Germany, and so many friends have told me how awesome Italy is. I'm also into historical stuff like others have mentioned.

(02-19-2021, 05:07 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I travel fairly regularly to South America and love it down there but my favorite place I've been to is probably Japan. Very different culture, lots of history, extremely safe and clean. Cool place and I was lucky to be with a Japanese speaking buddy which made it all the better. Fugu!

Place I'd really like to go is both Germany and Italy. A lot of family history in Germany, and so many friends have told me how awesome Italy is. I'm also into historical stuff like others have mentioned.

I never made it to Germany but I can tell you that Italy is an amazing place to visit.  Great food and more importantly great wine.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-19-2021, 05:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 05:07 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I travel fairly regularly to South America and love it down there but my favorite place I've been to is probably Japan. Very different culture, lots of history, extremely safe and clean. Cool place and I was lucky to be with a Japanese speaking buddy which made it all the better. Fugu!

I never made it to Germany but I can tell you that Italy is an amazing place to visit.  Great food and more importantly great wine.

Germany is a blast. I've been to Munich and  Berlin and also Salzburg and Vienna which are technically Austria but still have the Bavarian vibe. We always travel independently which can sometimes be a challenge when you only speak a little of the local language but is rewarding nonetheless.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-19-2021, 06:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 05:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I never made it to Germany but I can tell you that Italy is an amazing place to visit.  Great food and more importantly great wine.

Germany is a blast. I've been to Munich and  Berlin and also Salzburg and Vienna which are technically Austria but still have the Bavarian vibe. We always travel independently which can sometimes be a challenge when you only speak a little of the local language but is rewarding nonetheless.

I've been to Salzburg and Vienna, also the German-speaking part of Switzerland (Zurich), but never to Germany.  That's at the top of our list.  We've been studying German- mostly Youtube videos, but also some German short stories for beginners.  Learning a language is a long process and demands more self-discipline than I probably have.

An extensive road trip in a great big RV (custom built with a bar and BBQ/smoker).   See every football, baseball, hockey and basketball team play a game in their home venue.  Sample the offerings at a few custom breweries and tee it up at some of the more famous golf courses along the way.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.