Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travel

(02-19-2021, 05:07 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I travel fairly regularly to South America and love it down there but my favorite place I've been to is probably Japan. Very different culture, lots of history, extremely safe and clean. Cool place and I was lucky to be with a Japanese speaking buddy which made it all the better. Fugu!

Place I'd really like to go is both Germany and Italy. A lot of family history in Germany, and so many friends have told me how awesome Italy is. I'm also into historical stuff like others have mentioned.

https://convegni.unicatt.it/gdpm2021

GDPM 2022, who's with me!?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-20-2021, 03:20 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 05:07 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I travel fairly regularly to South America and love it down there but my favorite place I've been to is probably Japan. Very different culture, lots of history, extremely safe and clean. Cool place and I was lucky to be with a Japanese speaking buddy which made it all the better. Fugu!

Place I'd really like to go is both Germany and Italy. A lot of family history in Germany, and so many friends have told me how awesome Italy is. I'm also into historical stuff like others have mentioned.

https://convegni.unicatt.it/gdpm2021

I thought you were a city boy now? Lol
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2021, 05:12 PM by mikesez.)

(02-19-2021, 04:54 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 02:54 PM)mikesez Wrote: 1) I had a chance recently to spend a couple of days in one small town in Germany (Muenster) and I did a study abroad in the big city (Hamburg).  I'd go back to either place in a heartbeat, or Holland, or Belgium.

2) I'd like to spend some time in the small towns of the countries I mentioned, the ones most tourists just drive through.  I'd also like to see the national parks out in the western US like Arches or Grand Canyon.

Do you speak German?

A tiny bit.  I picked some up while I was over there but I never studied it formally.  Native Germans mostly want to practice their english when they meet an American.  It's the african and arab immigrants who want to work on their German with you.  Occasionally you meet an old east german who might get a little nationalistic and insist you should speak their language when you're in their country.

(02-19-2021, 05:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

I never made it to Germany but I can tell you that Italy is an amazing place to visit.  Great food and more importantly great wine.

Germany is quieter and cleaner than italy.  In italy everyone is super friendly, in germany less so.  They don't smile as much but they are kind.  Which country you prefer depends on how boisterous you are, I guess. I've only been in Italy for a few days at a time, though.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-20-2021, 08:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 06:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Germany is a blast. I've been to Munich and  Berlin and also Salzburg and Vienna which are technically Austria but still have the Bavarian vibe. We always travel independently which can sometimes be a challenge when you only speak a little of the local language but is rewarding nonetheless.

I've been to Salzburg and Vienna, also the German-speaking part of Switzerland (Zurich), but never to Germany.  That's at the top of our list.  We've been studying German- mostly Youtube videos, but also some German short stories for beginners.  Learning a language is a long process and demands more self-discipline than I probably have.

Before we went, we decided to get in as much German as we could. Starting with duolingo and then actually getting a tutor. About 15 months of motivated cramming starting from scratch (although we both have experience learning a second language). All things considered, I think we did ok. The flaw in the plan is that the people we met thought that since we started out in German, we must actually speak it well and so we quickly got left in the dust every time, haha.

The main reason I mention it is because it's amazing how quickly the native German speakers would warm up when they hear you making an effort.

Isn't Salzburg awesome? Did you get over to see Berchtesgaden?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-20-2021, 04:01 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 03:20 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://convegni.unicatt.it/gdpm2021

I thought you were a city boy now? Lol

I am I guess but still a farmer. My field is really only about a 5 minute longer drive than it was before.

(02-20-2021, 06:21 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 04:01 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I thought you were a city boy now? Lol

I am I guess but still a farmer. My field is really only about a 5 minute longer drive than it was before.

That’s not so bad then!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2021, 07:26 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-20-2021, 05:13 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 08:54 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've been to Salzburg and Vienna, also the German-speaking part of Switzerland (Zurich), but never to Germany.  That's at the top of our list.  We've been studying German- mostly Youtube videos, but also some German short stories for beginners.  Learning a language is a long process and demands more self-discipline than I probably have.

Before we went, we decided to get in as much German as we could. Starting with duolingo and then actually getting a tutor. About 15 months of motivated cramming starting from scratch (although we both have experience learning a second language). All things considered, I think we did ok. The flaw in the plan is that the people we met thought that since we started out in German, we must actually speak it well and so we quickly got left in the dust every time, haha.

The main reason I mention it is because it's amazing how quickly the native German speakers would warm up when they hear you making an effort.

We were only in Salzburg for 2 days, and all we did was wander around, but it was a beautiful place.  We stopped there on our way to Vienna, where we spent 5 days.  That was our longest European trip so far- 26 days.  We flew to Zurich and stayed with in-laws for a week, then we drove to Southern France and stayed with some friends on their farm for a week, drove around Southern France, back to Zurich for a few days, then on the train to Salzburg and Vienna.  

The area of Southern France where our friends have a farm is very interesting.  It's a little town called Clermont-l'Herault, near Montpellier.  There are not that many tourists in that area, which is full of old Roman ruins, vineyards, and midieval villages.  We drove to Pont du Gard to see the Roman aqueduct.  Also Arles, and Nimes, and this place! >>>  St Guilhem le Desert

I'd say Pont du Garde is one of the top 10 most impressive things I've ever seen.  It's part of a 31 mile aqueduct built to carry water for 31 miles to the city of Nimes.  The Pont Du Gard is where they built a span to carry the water across the Gardon River.  When you see the size of the blocks they used to build that, and the extremely gradual slope that is required for the water to flow that far, that is some incredible Roman engineering.  link>  Pont du Gard

(02-21-2021, 06:42 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 05:13 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Before we went, we decided to get in as much German as we could. Starting with duolingo and then actually getting a tutor. About 15 months of motivated cramming starting from scratch (although we both have experience learning a second language). All things considered, I think we did ok. The flaw in the plan is that the people we met thought that since we started out in German, we must actually speak it well and so we quickly got left in the dust every time, haha.

We were only in Salzburg for 2 days, and all we did was wander around, but it was a beautiful place.  We stopped there on our way to Vienna, where we spent 5 days.  That was our longest European trip so far- 26 days.  We flew to Zurich and stayed with in-laws for a week, then we drove to Southern France and stayed with some friends on their farm for a week, drove around Southern France, back to Zurich for a few days, then on the train to Salzburg and Vienna.  

The area of Southern France where our friends have a farm is very interesting.  It's a little town called Clermont-l'Herault, near Montpellier.  There are not that many tourists in that area, which is full of old Roman ruins, vineyards, and picturesque ancient villages.  We drove to Pont du Gard to see the Roman aqueduct.  Also Arles, and Nimes, and this place! >>>  St Guilhem le Desert

I'd say Pont du Garde is one of the top 10 most impressive things I've ever seen.  It's an aqueduct built to carry water for 31 miles to the city of Nimes.  When you see the size of the blocks they used to build that, and the extremely gradual slope that is required for the water to flow that far, that is some incredible Roman engineering. Link> Pont du Gard

Very cool, would love to see some of that stuff. You don't get homesick travelling that long?

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2021, 07:30 AM by The Real Marty.)

(02-21-2021, 07:01 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 06:42 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: We were only in Salzburg for 2 days, and all we did was wander around, but it was a beautiful place.  We stopped there on our way to Vienna, where we spent 5 days.  That was our longest European trip so far- 26 days.  We flew to Zurich and stayed with in-laws for a week, then we drove to Southern France and stayed with some friends on their farm for a week, drove around Southern France, back to Zurich for a few days, then on the train to Salzburg and Vienna.  

The area of Southern France where our friends have a farm is very interesting.  It's a little town called Clermont-l'Herault, near Montpellier.  There are not that many tourists in that area, which is full of old Roman ruins, vineyards, and picturesque ancient villages.  We drove to Pont du Gard to see the Roman aqueduct.  Also Arles, and Nimes, and this place! >>>  St Guilhem le Desert

I'd say Pont du Garde is one of the top 10 most impressive things I've ever seen.  It's an aqueduct built to carry water for 31 miles to the city of Nimes.  When you see the size of the blocks they used to build that, and the extremely gradual slope that is required for the water to flow that far, that is some incredible Roman engineering. Link> Pont du Gard

Very cool, would love to see some of that stuff. You don't get homesick travelling that long?

Sick, but not homesick.  My wife says it's a tradition for me to get sick on every overseas trip we take.

The negative about taking a trip that long and going to that many places is that it becomes a blur.  Too many places, too many things.

Not a good way to start a Hawaiian vacation. 

[Image: ezgif.com-gif-maker-3.gif]

United flight's engine catches fire after Denver takeoff, returns to airport safely | Fox News

I lived in Germany for a few years which had always been a dream of mine. The Army made it happen when my ex was stationed there so I was able to explore many places. Sadly 9/11 put a damper on things and we were advised not to travel for a few months after but I still went to Austria twice and a Parisian border village. I'd go again for sure. Living there and hanging out with locals explained my dad's side of the family to a T. My grandfather was born in RI but he would've fit seamlessly with the German folks.

I want to visit Ireland and go to the area my maternal side of the family is from. My aunt traced our lineage back to the area years ago. She and my uncle went there on their 30th wedding anniversary and said it was really neat. Switzerland would be pretty sweet. The combination language/dialect of German and and French is fascinating. Plus, those mountains!

I also want to visit Alaska and Canada. Those are more likely to happen than any overseas trips.

(02-21-2021, 04:47 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I lived in Germany for a few years which had always been a dream of mine. The Army made it happen when my ex was stationed there so I was able to explore many places. Sadly 9/11 put a damper on things and we were advised not to travel for a few months after but I still went to Austria twice and a Parisian border village. I'd go again for sure. Living there and hanging out with locals explained my dad's side of the family to a T. My grandfather was born in RI but he would've fit seamlessly with the German folks.

I want to visit Ireland and go to the area my maternal side of the family is from. My aunt traced our lineage back to the area years ago. She and my uncle went there on their 30th wedding anniversary and said it was really neat. Switzerland would be pretty sweet. The combination language/dialect of German and and French is fascinating. Plus, those mountains!

I also want to visit Alaska and Canada. Those are more likely to happen than any overseas trips.

I've been to Canada.. Don't remember too much of it.. Thanks to Labatt 50, Moosehead and Molson..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I don't remember 2/3 of my year, or the weekends anyway, at Fort San Houston for similar reasons. Then I was sent to Fort Bragg. It was not as fun. Lol.

(02-21-2021, 05:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I don't remember 2/3 of my year, or the weekends anyway, at Fort San Houston for similar reasons. Then I was sent to Fort Bragg. It was not as fun. Lol.

Some of the best margaritas I've ever had came from little cantinas in San Antonio.. Cheap as all get out too..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(02-21-2021, 07:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 07:01 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Very cool, would love to see some of that stuff. You don't get homesick travelling that long?

Sick, but not homesick.  My wife says it's a tradition for me to get sick on every overseas trip we take.

The negative about taking a trip that long and going to that many places is that it becomes a blur.  Too many places, too many things.

I got salmonella once in Central America. After that experience I figure I can handle nearly anything.

I feel sorry for all the people in places like Italy who are suffering from lack of tourists. I'm reading that there won't be much overseas travel in 2021.

(02-21-2021, 10:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not a good way to start a Hawaiian vacation. 

United flight's engine catches fire after Denver takeoff, returns to airport safely | Fox News

Boeing 777.  Same plane that had all those computer problems that caused it to uncontrollably nosedive.

(02-22-2021, 08:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 10:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not a good way to start a Hawaiian vacation. 

Boeing 777.  Same plane that had all those computer problems that caused it to uncontrollably nosedive.

The 737 Max had the software problems. Even if it were the same aircraft, the problems are not related.

(02-22-2021, 08:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 08:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Boeing 777.  Same plane that had all those computer problems that caused it to uncontrollably nosedive.

The 737 Max had the software problems. Even if it were the same aircraft, the problems are not related.

Oh, sorry.  My mistake.

(02-22-2021, 08:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-22-2021, 08:04 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The 737 Max had the software problems. Even if it were the same aircraft, the problems are not related.

Oh, sorry.  My mistake.

Pratt and Whitney makes the engines for that plane but Boeing will no doubt take some serious heat.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.