Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Texas town has been without running water for over 100 years.

Sand Branch Texas is less than 20 miles from Dallas.

https://youtu.be/Q_o_JmzHOHQ
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just another ghost town that should've been abandoned long ago.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

U guys with your callous reason logic and common sense....

(02-23-2021, 09:54 AM)jj82284 Wrote: U guys with your callous reason logic and common sense....

There's this idea that people can live wherever they want that's a relatively new concept. Towns have always come and gone, now if they can't succeed it's because of some discrimination.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-23-2021, 09:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Just another ghost town that should've been abandoned long ago.

Why?
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021, 01:56 PM by mikesez.)

They're on a floodplain.
The floodplain was probably the only place the government would let them build way back when, considering they are black.
Best thing to do now is buy them out.
But market value is low, they're on a floodplain.
If I was a Dallas county taxpayer I would be comfortable paying well above market just to eliminate the blight. And get them into decent homes with running water somewhere else.
This one's actually an easy case, because there are wealthy areas nearby that can fund the effort.
The harder cases are up in the mountains, like that town in west virginia near the old battery recycling plant where nearly everyone gets cancer. There's no one left with any money to buy them out. That's a sadder case, to me.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-23-2021, 01:52 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 09:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Just another ghost town that should've been abandoned long ago.

Why?

Because it's pretty clear that the land is inhospitable and too expensive to support. If people want to live there in spite of that the it's on them.

Only an idiot remains in a town without running water if they desire to have running water.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(02-23-2021, 02:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 01:52 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Why?

Because it's pretty clear that the land is inhospitable and too expensive to support. If people want to live there in spite of that the it's on them.

They don't want to move because they own their homes.
They don't want to start paying rent.

They’ve not had city water. “Without running water” makes it sound like they’ve never had access to any water what so ever.

What is the well water contaminated with?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(02-23-2021, 03:03 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 02:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Because it's pretty clear that the land is inhospitable and too expensive to support. If people want to live there in spite of that the it's on them.

They don't want to move because they own their homes.

Ok, so?

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021, 06:27 PM by Jags.)

Floodplain? Sounds like they’ve got running water to me!!!

(02-23-2021, 03:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 03:03 PM)mikesez Wrote: They don't want to move because they own their homes.

Ok, so?

One, you should feel bad about the prospect of them getting hurt or even dying if a flood comes at night.
Two, their structures and their roads are obviously altering the floodplain, in ways that could cause unnecessary flood damage both upstream and downstream from them.

Hydrology doesn't really care about how humans imagine property rights.

(02-23-2021, 08:42 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 03:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Ok, so?

One, you should feel bad about the prospect of them getting hurt or even dying if a flood comes at night.
Two, their structures and their roads are obviously altering the floodplain, in ways that could cause unnecessary flood damage both upstream and downstream from them.

No, I really dont care about either of those things, nor should you.

(02-23-2021, 08:49 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 08:42 PM)mikesez Wrote: One, you should feel bad about the prospect of them getting hurt or even dying if a flood comes at night.

No, I really dont care about either of those things, nor should you.

Why shouldn't I?
If someone upstream of me wants to divert water away from some of his property, sending more water through my property at a faster rate, I shouldn't care?

(02-23-2021, 08:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 08:49 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, I really dont care about either of those things, nor should you.

Why shouldn't I?
If someone upstream of me wants to divert water away from some of his property, sending more water through my property at a faster rate, I shouldn't care?

Is that happening to you?

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021, 10:49 PM by mikesez.)

(02-23-2021, 09:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 08:59 PM)mikesez Wrote: Why shouldn't I?

Is that happening to you?

Not yet, but I suppose it could.  The trailer park uphill from me could get bought out and bad things might happen as that land was redeveloped.
But as long as all the Florida DEP and SJRWMD rules are followed, I'll be fine.
However you seem to be saying that government rules like that shouldn't exist.  The government shouldn't try to maintain or restore flood plains, says you. Right?

I have no sympathy for the people that choose to live there.  They were offered a buy out/assistance with relocation and they declined.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(02-24-2021, 07:47 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: I have no sympathy for the people that choose to live there.  They were offered a buy out/assistance with relocation and they declined.

/thread

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]