Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why trade Gardner Minshew?

Like most people on this board, I think Lawrence will be the starting quarterback come game 1. But I see a lot of people on Twitter/Duvalpride wanting to ship Minshew off to another team and I’m not sure I’m understanding. You’ve got a 6th round rookie that surely outplayed his draft position in just two years. He has starting experience and is on a rookie deal. I’m just not seeing a better alternative for a back-up quarterback. We don’t need more draft capital, we’d create an unnecessary hole, and we’d just have to sign someone who isn’t on a rookie deal. What’s the message? Outplay your draft position and you’ll get shipped off? I’ve heard that he’d want to start and my argument is “who doesn’t?”you’d think you want back ups to compete across the board. I know he’s not a 10 year veteran but he has starting experience but he is learning his 7th offense in 7 different years. So that adaptability could be useful for Bevell. The alternative is to draft someone in the later rounds and hope he’s good enough to have a 37-to-11 TD/Int ratio as a late rounder. And if we sign a back up like Ryan Fitzpatrick, what’s wrong with him being the 3rd stringer? We carried 3 last year and they were him, Mike Glennon, and Jake Luton. Compete for everything.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-23-2021, 06:00 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: Like most people on this board, I think Lawrence will be the starting quarterback come game 1. But I see a lot of people on Twitter/Duvalpride wanting to ship Minshew off to another team and I’m not sure I’m understanding. You’ve got a 6th round rookie that surely outplayed his draft position in just two years. He has starting experience and is on a rookie deal. I’m just not seeing a better alternative for a back-up quarterback. We don’t need more draft capital, we’d create an unnecessary hole, and we’d just have to sign someone who isn’t on a rookie deal. What’s the message? Outplay your draft position and you’ll get shipped off? I’ve heard that he’d want to start and my argument is “who doesn’t?”you’d think you want back ups to compete across the board. I know he’s not a 10 year veteran but he has starting experience but he is learning his 7th offense in 7 different years. So that adaptability could be useful for Bevell. The alternative is to draft someone in the later rounds and hope he’s good enough to have a 37-to-11 TD/Int ratio as a late rounder. And if we sign a back up like Ryan Fitzpatrick, what’s wrong with him being the 3rd stringer? We carried 3 last year and they were him, Mike Glennon, and Jake Luton. Compete for everything.

The Jaguars would be crazy to NOT trade Minshew if they could get a 4th or even 5th round pick for him. They already have a lot of picks, but I expect them to try and move both up and down the board come draft time. That extra 4th might enable them to move up in the 2nd or 3rd round to get the last player on their board at a particular position. It could even be used to move up a few spots from pick 25 if someone like Darrisaw, Horn or Barmore are still on the board after pick 19 or 20. 

Minshew was great for our fans due to his likability and occasional outstanding performances. Unfortunately, he will never be more than a below average NFL quarterback so if some team is stupid enough to offer us a 4th rounder they'd be ecstatic. Lawrence would do better by having a veteran backup who doesn't mind carrying a clipboard for 3 or 4 million dollars per season. Maybe Alex Smith's wife will convince him to abandon his desires to be the starter in Washington and come play for his college coach.

I am kinda on the fence about whether to keep Minshew.

I like what he offers when he's in the game, despite his limitations.

But when you get a rookie like TL, you want an older vet who has seen everything who can be a mentor/sounding board of sorts.

I'm not sure Minshew is old enough to fill that role.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Get what you can out of him. Minshew isn't the future. If someone wants him, and we can get a draft pick out of it, then I say go for it.

You don't trade a starting-quality QB for a late pick. I wouldn't settle for less than a 2nd or two 3rds.

Minshew may not be who we hoped he would be but he's good enough to keep a good team in games. He's also young enough to still have the promise of improving.

We traded Blaine Gabbert for a 6th and gave up a 5th for Dobbs. Minshew is light years better than both, so I'd be surprised if we wouldn't get less than a 3rd.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 07:06 AM by rpr52121.)

The whole point of the back QB position/job this year is to help accelerate T-Law's development, because there is no way he doesn't enter camp as the defacto starting QB.

That means you want a back up QB who ideally:
1. Is familiar with Bevell and/or the style of offense Jags want to build around T-Law.
2. Can help T-Law add to his good professionalism traits/habits and being a leader in the NFL vs as a college QB.
3. Help point out things T-Law may not be seeing in the film room or out on the field on game day.

Minshew could probably help with #2, but I don't see him helping with #1. Also, Minshew regressed last year with his field vision and he is still has limited experience with coverages to help with #3 all that much. The only reason to keeping him may be a good option is because he is cheap. If T-Law gets injured, it doesn't really matter if the Jags win a bunch a games with the back up QB in 2021.

Also, we are not going to get a ton for Minshew. The league has already seen what he can do, and most people know he is never going to be a top 10 guy. He is essentially an AAAA QB. Also in 2021, there will be a lot of proven and "expected to be proven" QB's. Throughout the league there will be at least 7-8 rookie/sophomore QB's probably starting Game 1; many more than were in the league 2-3 years ago. The number of teams "scrambling" for anything at QB are much fewer.

Maybe you can get a contender to bite on trading for him, but no one is trading 2 picks, and no one is giving up more than a 4th round pick for him. And even that level of an offer probably won't happen until during training camp or the season, in which case trading Minshew isn't that much benefit anymore.

(02-24-2021, 07:04 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: The whole point of the back QB position/job this year is to help accelerate T-Law's development, because there is no way he doesn't enter camp as the defacto starting QB.

1. Is familiar with Bevell and/or the style of offense Jags want to build around T-Law.
2. Can help T-Law add to his good professionalism traits/habits and being a leader in the NFL vs as a college QB.
3. Help point out things T-Law may not be seeing in the film room or out on the field on game day.

Minshew could probably help with #2, but I don't see him helping with #1. Also, Minshew regressed last year with his field vision and he is still has limited experience with coverages to help with #3 all that much. The only reason to keeping him may be a good option is because he is cheap. If T-Law gets injured, it doesn't really matter if the Jags win a bunch a games with the back up QB in 2021.

Also, we are not going to get a ton for Minshew. The league has already seen what he can do, and most people know he is never going to be a top 10 guy. He is essentially an AAAA QB. Also in 2021, there will be a lot of proven and "expected to be proven" QB's. Throughout the league there will be at least 7-8 rookie/sophomore QB's probably starting Game 1; many more than were in the league 2-3 years ago. The number of teams "scrambling" for anything at QB are much fewer.

Maybe you can get a contender to bite on trading for him, but no one is trading 2 picks, and no one is giving up more than a 4th round pick for him. And even that level of an offer probably won't happen until during training camp or the season, in which case trading Minshew isn't that much benefit anymore.

I agree with that.  If we are going all in on Trevor Lawrence, I would want the best possible backup.  I don't think Minshew is that.

(02-24-2021, 07:04 AM)rpr52121 Wrote: The whole point of the back QB position/job this year is to help accelerate T-Law's development, because there is no way he doesn't enter camp as the defacto starting QB.

This is where I’m at with it. But I think I’m just looking at this a different way. I agree, the job of a back up this year is more about development. I’d want a Ryan Fitzpatrick or Alex Smith to be the direct number 2. But I’d also think having a number 3 on a cheap rookie deal is important for the sake of competition. We’re just going to bring in a QB via the draft or a third stringer on a 2 year, 6 million dollar deal? While cheap, way more than Minshew.

(02-23-2021, 06:00 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: Like most people on this board, I think Lawrence will be the starting quarterback come game 1. But I see a lot of people on Twitter/Duvalpride wanting to ship Minshew off to another team and I’m not sure I’m understanding. You’ve got a 6th round rookie that surely outplayed his draft position in just two years. He has starting experience and is on a rookie deal. I’m just not seeing a better alternative for a back-up quarterback. We don’t need more draft capital, we’d create an unnecessary hole, and we’d just have to sign someone who isn’t on a rookie deal. What’s the message? Outplay your draft position and you’ll get shipped off? I’ve heard that he’d want to start and my argument is “who doesn’t?”you’d think you want back ups to compete across the board. I know he’s not a 10 year veteran but he has starting experience but he is learning his 7th offense in 7 different years. So that adaptability could be useful for Bevell. The alternative is to draft someone in the later rounds and hope he’s good enough to have a 37-to-11 TD/Int ratio as a late rounder. And if we sign a back up like Ryan Fitzpatrick, what’s wrong with him being the 3rd stringer? We carried 3 last year and they were him, Mike Glennon, and Jake Luton. Compete for everything.

I think the bigger concern is whether you can bring a more seasoned veteran into the room, and tap into their experience to walk TLaw through the rookie campaign. If you do that, get what you can for Minshew. The fact that he is still on his rookie deal is what would make him appealing to a team willing to trade.

This is not as much an abandonment of Minshew as it is a desire to bring experience into the equation. I love Minshew's gritty nature, he is a scrapper that will claw and fight to get yards out of a play, but I don't see him as mentor material. He looked overwhelmed last year, and I want someone more seasoned walking alongside the future of the franchise.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021, 11:10 AM by Bullseye.)

(02-23-2021, 10:45 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: You don't trade a starting-quality QB for a late pick. I wouldn't settle for less than a 2nd or two 3rds.

Minshew may not be who we hoped he would be but he's good enough to keep a good team in games. He's also young enough to still have the promise of improving.

We traded Blaine Gabbert for a 6th and gave up a 5th for Dobbs. Minshew is light years better than both, so I'd be surprised if we wouldn't get less than a 3rd.

Then you wouldn't trade him at all.

He had some good moments for us and exceeded expectations, but he isn't a starting caliber QB, much less one that commands a 2 or two 3rds in trade.

Teams know we'll take a QB in the draft, and they are pretty certain it'll be Trevor Lawrence.

Teams know this is a pretty strong draft at the top at QB.  There will likely be 5 QBs taken in the first round:

Lawrence
Fields
Lance
Wilson
Jones

So if a team is in dire need of a starter, they could go for one of these guys.

But if a team is out of range for these guys, who does Minshew start over?  Let's assume, for argument's sake, that all of the first round signal callers are gone by Washington at 19.

20.  Chicago-Trubisky?  I can see Trubisky not being a favorite of the Bears.  But if they would not spend a 3 and conditional 2 for Wentz, why would they spend that much or more for Minshew?  I'm not totally sure he beats Trubisky out, even if they met your trade terms.

21.  Indy-They just spent the 3 and conditional 2 for Wentz.  They won't spend the 2 or two 3s for Minshew in the same offseason.  But Minshew doesn't beat out Wentz unless Wentz is finished.

22.  Tacks-Doubtful we would trade inside the division.  Doubtful Tennessee would trade for him at your price, especially when they have Tannehill, who has played very well forthe tacks the past two years.

23.  N.Y. Jets-by this stage in the draft, they likely would have spent their pick on a QB if they were interested in upgrading the position, whether it is trading for Watson or taking any of the other rookies on the board.  If they weren't interested in any of those guys, then they are likely committed to Darnold and putting help around him.

24.  Pittsburgh-they have Big Ben.  If they haven't cut him, no way Minshew beats him out.  While their backups are not so hot, there is no way a team as old and cap strapped as the Steelers would meet your trade demands for Minshew.

26.  Cleveland-they already have Baker Mayfield and just reached the playoff with him.  No way they make that deal, and no way Minshew beats him out.

27.  Baltimore-Lamar Jackson is their QB.  Though I have my issues with him, no way Minshew beats him out, thus no reason for them to spend the draft capital you demand on Minshew.

28.  New Orleans-lost a legend to retirement, but have two QBs they seem to regard highly in Hill and Winston.  Unsure if Minshew beats either of them out.

29.  Green Bay-they have Aaron freaking Rodgers and waiting in the wings behind them is Jordan Love, who they spent a 1 on last year.  They don't make that deal.

30.  Buffahole-they have Josh Allen.  Minshew does not beat him out.

31.  Kansas City-They have Mahomes.  Minshew does not beat him out.  Behind him is Chad henne.  Maybe Minshew beats him out, but the Chiefs, who are contending for a SB, don't meet your price to find out.

32.  Tampa-Tom Brady-see above.

(02-24-2021, 10:43 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 10:45 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: You don't trade a starting-quality QB for a late pick. I wouldn't settle for less than a 2nd or two 3rds.

He had some good moments for us and exceeded expectations, but he isn't a starting caliber QB, much less one that commands a 2 or two 3rds in trade.

I meant starter-ish but my demands for him would stay the sam. He’s better than most back-up QBs, and I’m confident he’s good enough to keep a good team competitive. If they’re desperate enough, I feel they’d trade that much for him. Otherwise, you keep him. 

He went .500 and a 3.5/1 TD/INT ratio his rookie year. He’s not a good QB but I think y’all may be undervaluing the position and the potential someone would see in him.

Exactly!

I am not against sitting on his rights until someone really needs a QB or until next offseason. There is no benefit to trading him now for a reduced return. He is a good backup, that can win games. If he became the long term backup to Trevor, that would be just fine as well.

If you trade him now, you also lose the opportunity that he shows improvement in the preseason. I don’t think his value will decrease, but I could see it spiking dramatically if he plays well in the preseason, early in the year, or in a spot start due to injury.

Essentially, he has value to the team now and may be very desirable to another team before next years trade deadline. He also doesn’t cost anything significant to keep.

[...]

But if a team is out of range for these guys, who does Minshew start over?  Let's assume, for argument's sake, that all of the first round signal callers are gone by Washington at 19.

[...]

Bullseye, that was a great list, don't mean to do a disservice by deleting, but also wanted to avoid the wall of quoted text.

One note, PIT signed Haskins, he would definitely be a wildcard in their consideration, and the fact that they have him and Rudolph duking it out with Ben (for now) would probably take them out of consideration.

I agree with you that he's not going to warrant starter-caliber trade compensation. I would shift this conversation from seeing him as a starter to a reliable backup with upside. Not necessarily someone you want to hitch your franchise to, but if the starter tweaks an ankle, someone who can come in and keep the team from imploding. I think Seattle and Arizona could use a guy like that, and I see the Shew as a guy who would be comfortable in that supporting role. That means we're likely not getting more than a fifth for him, but it beats cutting him with no return or tying up a roster spot for a third QB.

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2021, 02:47 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-25-2021, 09:56 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 10:43 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Then you wouldn't trade him at all.

[...]

[...]

Bullseye, that was a great list, don't mean to do a disservice by deleting, but also wanted to avoid the wall of quoted text.

One note, PIT signed Haskins, he would definitely be a wildcard in their consideration, and the fact that they have him and Rudolph duking it out with Ben (for now) would probably take them out of consideration.

I agree with you that he's not going to warrant starter-caliber trade compensation. I would shift this conversation from seeing him as a starter to a reliable backup with upside. Not necessarily someone you want to hitch your franchise to, but if the starter tweaks an ankle, someone who can come in and keep the team from imploding. I think Seattle and Arizona could use a guy like that, and I see the Shew as a guy who would be comfortable in that supporting role. That means we're likely not getting more than a fifth for him, but it beats cutting him with no return or tying up a roster spot for a third QB.

I agree with the idea that Minshew's trade value, whatever it might be, is enhanced with a serious injury to a starter.  Desperation is what drove the trade for Dobbs in the first place.

But I don't think any team's paradigm for Minshew is anything but backup.

If Seattle is stupid enough to trade Wilson away, I don't think they trade for Minshew, and if they did, you wouldn't get anywhere near 2 3rd rounders.

I mean if we did get that for Minshew, I'd give high fives to Baalke and Meyer and credit to JagnGeorgia.

But I don't see that happening.

Minshew is a good spot starter/backup.  We won't get much for him.

I don't get it anymore. So we want an overpaid experienced backup so he can coach the new guy? What does the QB coach do? Just hire a special assistant to Trevor Lawrence and keep the cheap guy as the backup.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-25-2021, 03:38 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I don't get it anymore. So we want an overpaid experienced backup so he can coach the new guy? What does the QB coach do? Just hire a special assistant to Trevor Lawrence and keep the cheap guy as the backup.

This has been my point for so, so long. I just don’t understand the need to jettison someone you drafted and outplayed his draft position

Riding with the Shew......he’d be a great backup for Trevor.

https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...56964?s=19

He heard y'all.

Teams know we'll take a QB in the draft, and they are pretty certain it'll be Trevor Lawrence.

Teams know this is a pretty strong draft at the top at QB.  There will likely be 5 QBs taken in the first round:

Lawrence
Fields
Lance
Wilson
Jones

20.  Chicago-Trubisky?  I can see Trubisky not being a favorite of the Bears.  But if they would not spend a 3 and conditional 2 for Wentz, why would they spend that much or more for Minshew?  I'm not totally sure he beats Trubisky out, even if they met your trade terms.

21.  Indy-They just spent the 3 and conditional 2 for Wentz.  They won't spend the 2 or two 3s for Minshew in the same offseason.  But Minshew doesn't beat out Wentz unless Wentz is finished.

22.  Tacks-Doubtful we would trade inside the division.  Doubtful Tennessee would trade for him at your price, especially when they have Tannehill, who has played very well forthe tacks the past two years.

23.  N.Y. Jets-by this stage in the draft, they likely would have spent their pick on a QB if they were interested in upgrading the position, whether it is trading for Watson or taking any of the other rookies on the board.  If they weren't interested in any of those guys, then they are likely committed to Darnold and putting help around him.

24.  Pittsburgh-they have Big Ben.  If they haven't cut him, no way Minshew beats him out.  While their backups are not so hot, there is no way a team as old and cap strapped as the Steelers would meet your trade demands for Minshew.

26.  Cleveland-they already have Baker Mayfield and just reached the playoff with him.  No way they make that deal, and no way Minshew beats him out.

27.  Baltimore-Lamar Jackson is their QB.  Though I have my issues with him, no way Minshew beats him out, thus no reason for them to spend the draft capital you demand on Minshew.

28.  New Orleans-lost a legend to retirement, but have two QBs they seem to regard highly in Hill and Winston.  Unsure if Minshew beats either of them out.

29.  Green Bay-they have Aaron freaking Rodgers and waiting in the wings behind them is Jordan Love, who they spent a 1 on last year.  They don't make that deal.

30.  Buffahole-they have Josh Allen.  Minshew does not beat him out.

31.  Kansas City-They have Mahomes.  Minshew does not beat him out.  Behind him is Chad henne.  Maybe Minshew beats him out, but the Chiefs, who are contending for a SB, don't meet your price to find out.

32.  Tampa-Tom Brady-see above.

Just so you know, the bears gave us a 4th for foles, and likely didnt want wentz because hes on a mega deal and is also not exactly good. I legitimatey think minshew and wentz are around the same caiber.. id argue minshew did better with less