Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We so need this offensive roster right now..

I wonder if Alex Smith is entering free agency thinking he will get a starting job somewhere, or if he's fine with taking a reserve role (like he would here)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-01-2021, 11:21 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 11:14 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Maybe we should just hire Alex Smith as the QB Coach!! And during practice he can put his shoulder pads on and walk around and mentor Trevor all practice.

And during the real games, he can put his arm around him after he throws an interception and tell him everything will be ok because he’s a mentor.

And then Trevor and his mentor can go home after a long day of practice and play fortnite and he can mentor him on how to play fortnite.

On a real note - Trevor is built for this. He doesn’t need all that mentor stuff.

I don't think anyone wants Smith as a mentor.. He's just better than Minshew and would make a better back up..

Hey, don't knock the experience factor. Assuming he'd be willing to take that role, I think it would be a great move by the Jags. And it gives you someone who can start early if Lawrence isn't ready right away.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-01-2021, 11:14 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Maybe we should just hire Alex Smith as the QB Coach!! And during practice he can put his shoulder pads on and walk around and mentor Trevor all practice.

And during the real games, he can put his arm around him after he throws an interception and tell him everything will be ok because he’s a mentor.

And then Trevor and his mentor can go home after a long day of practice and play fortnite and he can mentor him on how to play fortnite.

On a real note - Trevor is built for this. He doesn’t need all that mentor stuff.

I don't think anyone wants Smith as a mentor.. He's just better than Minshew and would make a better back up..

On the contrary, if the option is available, I think it's important to have a guy who has made a career out of quarterbacking in the kid's ear. There's a lot more to being a franchise QB than getting taken early.

@Then again, given how Haskins turned out....@

Ummm that’s exactly what a lot of people want.

Mahomes credits Alex Smith for a lot of how he turned out. Reading defenses and how to prepare like a pro.

Smith would be a fantastic mentor for Trevor (also knowing the pressure of being a #1 pick) and he would also be a good backup. However it’s the mentor role that is the main factor because Smith wasn’t really that good last year.

(02-28-2021, 03:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I hope signing or drafting a guard to compete with Cann and/or improve depth is part of the plan.
Unless that Bartch kid really has something to contribute that I haven’t seen yet.  Possible, but I feel we can safely continue upgrading the line and I’d prioritize it ahead of adding targets for Trevor.

As additional short term competition for A.J. Cann,  it wouldn't surprise me if the Jaguars attempt to sign Lions UFA G Oday Aboushi.  Darrell Bevell was Aboushi's Offensive Coordinator in Seattle and Detroit.  A 2nd stint with the Jets also seems like a very realistic possibility for Aboushi.  

Because the Jaguars and Jets have the most salary cap space,  they have more flexibility to offer more.  Even with FAs that have been paid at or near the NFL Veteran Minimum with previous contracts, like in the case of Aboushi

Mahommes crediting Smith as a mentor is all fan speak. I personally know a story about MJD and Fred Taylor which I will not get into on here out of respect for the by laws...everything MJD credited to Taylor was all hog wash.

These players get coached by PR guys on what to say. The interviews are all rehearsed. It makes for great TV when everyone is happy. It makes a great story.

Smith will be getting paid to learn the playbook and throw the football. Not to put his arm around Lawrence and be his buddy. If it turns out that way then great. But Smith will have his own problems to worry about. If he can’t throw the football then he will be cut. Regardless how great of a mentor he is.

Like I said let’s sign Tony Boselli so he can mentor our Left Tackle.

(03-02-2021, 09:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 11:21 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: I don't think anyone wants Smith as a mentor.. He's just better than Minshew and would make a better back up..
Ummm that’s exactly what a lot of people want.

Mahomes credits Alex Smith for a lot of how he turned out. Reading defenses and how to prepare like a pro.

Smith would be a fantastic mentor for Trevor (also knowing the pressure of being a #1 pick) and he would also be a good backup. However it’s the mentor role that is the main factor because Smith wasn’t really that good last year.

This. There's a lot to be said about what a guy who manages to stick around as a quality starter as long as he has. I think a lot of people are getting hung up on QB coach is there to teach the offense and such, but someone like Smith is going to teach him how to still be doing this 12 years down the road. I don't see our current backup(s) as someone who is going to challenge him, or bring anything to the table that is going to help him improve.

(03-03-2021, 01:38 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Mahommes crediting Smith as a mentor is all fan speak. I personally know a story about MJD and Fred Taylor which I will not get into on here out of respect for the by laws...everything MJD credited to Taylor was all hog wash.

These players get coached by PR guys on what to say. The interviews are all rehearsed. It makes for great TV when everyone is happy. It makes a great story.

Smith will be getting paid to learn the playbook and throw the football. Not to put his arm around Lawrence and be his buddy. If it turns out that way then great. But Smith will have his own problems to worry about. If he can’t throw the football then he will be cut. Regardless how great of a mentor he is.

Like I said let’s sign Tony Boselli so he can mentor our Left Tackle.

So you're saying EVERY player relationship is the same and Mahomes couldn't possibly be telling the truth?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Oh good Christ, who the [BLEEP] cares.. All we need is a decent backup who can step in, if they need him to, and compete and give this team a chance to win.. Minshew can't do that.. If some people believe in the mentoring factor, awesome.. If some don't and think it's strictly a backup role, awesome.. Get over yourselves..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

If I'm hired as a veteran backup and expected to 'mentor', the extent of my advice to the young rookie would be, "See those players in different uniforms? Throw to them. Always."

Whatever it takes to earn starter pay.

Gentlemen - Please refocus on the topic and keep the personal attacks to yourselves.

Thanks.

(03-03-2021, 10:24 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Gentlemen - Please refocus on the topic and keep the personal attacks to yourselves.

Thanks.

Agreed..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(03-03-2021, 10:00 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If I'm hired as a veteran backup and expected to 'mentor', the extent of my advice to the young rookie would be, "See those players in different uniforms? Throw to them. Always."

Whatever it takes to earn starter pay.

Thank you for saying this. Every man for himself. Dog eat Dog league. I would be trying to do whatever I had to do to get on the field.

In my line of work, when a rookie comes on the job, it’s his job to learn on his own bc I have my own problems to deal with and mentoring someone is not apart of my job description.

Rico - Mahommes could be telling the truth or he could be fan speaking. 

Back on topic - I like this offense and I don’t think the backup QB job will matter. Fred Taylor did just fine as a rookie. MJD did good as a rookie. QB is no different. Lawrence will need to handle himself or he will be cut. Period.

Mentor or not.