Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Washington Football Team is expected to part ways with Alex Smith

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Probably here

Ideal back-up to Lawrence. How much money would he agree to being a mentor and holding a clipboard?

(03-01-2021, 05:38 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Ideal back-up to Lawrence. How much money would he agree to being a mentor and holding a clipboard?

I thought the rookie was "NFL ready" and could "run any NFL offense" according to so many?  Why a "mentor"?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

This mentor crap has gotta stop. I remember Torry Holt said he would mentor....Mentor them straight to the bench.

Some guys gonna be all mad at the Jaguars front office when they don’t sign their favorite backup QB to mentor. It’s 2021 if the kid needs a mentor then buy one. His name doesn’t have to be Alex Smith or Fitzpatrick.

I am a big believer in mentors, it doesn’t matter how good a player you are you still need a mentor to teach you the other things about the profession that’s not part of playing, the etiquette etc. This can be seen in all walks of life and in every job, good mentors create good employees. Bad mentors or toxic leaders create bad atmospheres and people and teams suffer greatly.

Going back to Smith I think he would be a great mentor, his playing ability is good and he will pass some things on but it’s his experience off the field that will be invaluable, especially to a very young rookie coming into a big world. Don’t under estimate this.

I do however think for Smith this isn’t the right place based on his wishes. He has clearly said he still wants to play and be a starter. It’s highly unlikely he will get that here.

(03-03-2021, 09:24 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: I am a big believer in mentors, it doesn’t matter how good a player you are you still need a mentor to teach you the other things about the profession that’s not part of playing, the etiquette etc. This can be seen in all walks of life and in every job, good mentors create good employees. Bad mentors or toxic leaders create bad atmospheres and people and teams suffer greatly.  

Going back to Smith I think he would be a great mentor, his playing ability is good and he will pass some things on but it’s his experience off the field that will be invaluable, especially to a very young rookie coming into a big world. Don’t under estimate this.

I do however think for Smith this isn’t the right place based on his wishes. He has clearly said he still wants to play and be a starter. It’s highly unlikely he will get that here.

I think he's the wrong QB for Trevor's skillset to be a mentor.

Need someone like Peyton Manning as a mentor.

I think Alex Smith would have a chance to start if he came here. Mahomes' sat for a year and Trevor can too. Even if it's just part of the year, it'd do him some good.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2021, 01:51 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-03-2021, 01:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: I think Alex Smith would have a chance to start if he came here.  Mahomes' sat for a year and Trevor can too.  Even if it's just part of the year, it'd do him some good.

Mahomes wasn't the number 1 overall pick.  If Lawrence isn't starting from day 1 I'd be shocked.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(03-03-2021, 01:50 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-03-2021, 01:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: I think Alex Smith would have a chance to start if he came here.  Mahomes' sat for a year and Trevor can too.  Even if it's just part of the year, it'd do him some good.

Mahomes wasn't the number 1 overall pick.  If Lawrence isn't starting from day 1 I'd be shocked.

Indeed.
Also KC had the luxury of a fully healthy Alex Smith who was playing well.

Smith was a great story last year and I wouldn't mind him as a backup/player coach type role. But he wasn't exactly lighting up the field for them last year. 

If Trevor isn't the day 1 starter I'd be worried that he isn't who we thought he was.

(03-03-2021, 01:50 PM)RicoTx Wrote:

I agree. The first overall pick will be starting.