Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This is a Great Idea

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 05:28 PM by Jag88.)

In usually a person that hates changing rules that have been around for years, but I'm not against this idea. I like to see both teams get one chance in overtime and this extra twist in the rules is nice. Overtime is rare, so this will be makes things extra special and dramatic when it happens. Like stated above, more strategy and a more of a fair chance where the coin isn't the god of overtime

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 07:12 PM by TheDuke007.)

(03-04-2021, 08:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: Overtime isn't actually necessary in my opinion.
If you're in the fourth quarter, and it's tied, and the clock goes down to zero, you can just keep the ball where it is, keep the same down and distance and just run more plays until someone scores.
But I would only do that in the playoffs. Regular season, just let it end in a tie! It takes 3 hours to get to the end of the game already, why take longer?

I've never understood this rush to get the game over.  It's as if watching football is some type of punishment.  I enjoy watching football.  After watching a game for 3 hours, why not spend a few minutes to have it resolved?  To me, eliminating overtime is like watching a murder mystery movie and then cutting the final scene where the murderer is revealed.  Ties are terrible.  Everyone goes away disappointed.  I watch the game to see who wins, so let someone win it.

I find there to be five criteria when evaluating overtime options:

1. Prefer it to end quicker versus slower.
  2. Prefer it to be fair to both sides.
  3. Prefer it not to end in a tie.
  4. Prefer it to encourage exciting finishes.
  5. Prefer it to be traditional and feel like standard football.
Below is how the various options stack up compared to the criteria:

Old Rules - This one actually does well in most categories.  Being sudden death, games ended quickly and rarely ended in a tie.  Most games ended with a score which means an exciting finish.  It also obviously maintains tradition.  The issue is that it wasn't fair.  Getting the ball first was a big advantage and that was determined by a coin flip.  This unfairness grew with NFL rule changes that tended to favor the offense.

Current Rules - The change helped some with fairness, but hurt in other areas.  It's slower than the old rules and slightly increases the chance of a tie.  Games also didn't necessarily end in a score which sometimes took away the excitement.

No overtime - This option does well with fairness and is the quickest option to end the game.  However, it fails miserably with #3 as this method guarantees a tie.  I think ties are terrible.  Everyone walks away disappointed.  In many cases, this option may also not lead to an exciting finish as many games may have time expire with a team in their own territory.

5th Quarter - This option does well in fairness and feels like standard football.  However, it's the slowest of the options.  It also would be much more likely to end in a tie and may not have an exciting finish.

Old Rules but the team with ball first must score a TD while the other team only has to score a field goal - This option shares virtually all of the same benefits as the "Old Rules", but helps address the fairness issue.  The question is whether it fully addresses fairness.

Spot and Choose - Being sudden death, the games would end quickly, have an exciting finish and not likely to end in a tie.  I also find it to be fair to both sides.  If it has a weakness, it is that choosing the spot isn't particularly traditional as this doesn't happen anywhere else in the game, but that seems like a minor negative to me.  I find this to be the best overtime rule option.

Just give both teams the ball 1-2 times. Most points wins. If it is tied after 2, punt pass kick challenge for 1 player on each team.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

The reason this rule is being talked about is because in overtime the first team that has the ball has to go 75 yards assuming there’s a touchback.

The defense can make them go 3 and out and force a punt and now the other offense has to go much less yards....and then they kick a 53 yard FG and the game is over.

I like the old NFL overtime...first team to score wins.

(03-08-2021, 09:00 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The reason this rule is being talked about is because in overtime the first team that has the ball has to go 75 yards assuming there’s a touchback.

The defense can make them go 3 and out and force a punt and now the other offense has to go much less yards....and then they kick a 53 yard FG and the game is over.

so the defending team is to blame for getting a stop? Stupid team, trying to get the win.

If the offense wasn't good enough to gain ten yards in four plays, do they merit a victory?

(03-09-2021, 09:52 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:00 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: The reason this rule is being talked about is because in overtime the first team that has the ball has to go 75 yards assuming there’s a touchback.

so the defending team is to blame for getting a stop? Stupid team, trying to get the win.

If the offense wasn't good enough to gain ten yards in four plays, do they merit a victory?

I’m with you. 
I’d rather just have the old rule sudden death.

(03-04-2021, 07:07 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Spot and Choose Overtime Rule

Possible new overtime rule: 

Toss the coin, the team that wins the coin toss decides where the ball will be placed, and the other team decides whether to take offense or defense.  So for example, team A wins the coin toss, and decides the ball will be spotted on the 15 yard line, with the end zone 85 yards away.  Team B says, we'll take defense, or we'll take offense.  In other words, team B either decides to defend the 85 yards, or they decide they'd like to try to start a drive from their own 15 yard line.  Sudden death.  First team to score wins.  

I think it's a great idea.

Spot and choose is certainly better than the current rules.  If they ever did it, though, you'd see teams quickly settle on a standard number for the spot.  Any player that deviated, who bid 30 when you're "supposed to" bid 25, would be mocked.  It would get dull.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-06-2021, 07:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I find there to be five criteria when evaluating overtime options:

NFL Football can easily create something like penalty shots in soccer, and it would satisfy the requirements.  

It would end quickly and be fair.  Each team gets the ball at the 25, but it's 1st and goal, 75 yards to go, 4 downs to do it. It would last 8 plays. The team that gets the most yards in 4 plays wins. It would not end in a tie.  In the unlikely case that both teams get a touchdown in four plays or less, then their kickers have to try extra points until one misses, going back 5 yards each round.

The finish would be exciting every time. It's not exactly like standard football, but it's still the offense trying to get as many yards as possible on each play. And it wouldn't have the ridiculous high scores of college football overtimes.

(03-17-2021, 08:17 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 07:06 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I find there to be five criteria when evaluating overtime options:

NFL Football can easily create something like penalty shots in soccer, and it would satisfy the requirements.  

It would end quickly and be fair.  Each team gets the ball at the 25, but it's 1st and goal, 75 yards to go, 4 downs to do it. It would last 8 plays. The team that gets the most yards in 4 plays wins. It would not end in a tie.  In the unlikely case that both teams get a touchdown in four plays or less, then their kickers have to try extra points until one misses, going back 5 yards each round.

The finish would be exciting every time. It's not exactly like standard football, but it's still the offense trying to get as many yards as possible on each play. And it wouldn't have the ridiculous high scores of college football overtimes.

do penalty yards count? cuz on first down I am throwing to the pylon, and waiting for the inevitable PI call to gain me 60-odd yards. Not my idea of excitement.

why don't we just oklahoma drill for the win? Best two out of three.

Toss the coin, winner picks the spot, loser picks offense or defense, and from then on it's sudden death.

Simple. Fair.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 11:09 AM by mikesez.)

(03-18-2021, 09:47 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 08:17 PM)mikesez Wrote: NFL Football can easily create something like penalty shots in soccer, and it would satisfy the requirements.  

do penalty yards count? cuz on first down I am throwing to the pylon, and waiting for the inevitable PI call to gain me 60-odd yards. Not my idea of excitement.

why don't we just oklahoma drill for the win? Best two out of three.

That's a very good point. My idea is totally incompatible with the NFL rules on defensive pass interference.

And the NFL rules on pass interference frankly are terrible.  Anyone who saw the end of the first half of the last superbowl knows that.

If I could change only one NFL rule, I'd probably make PI work like it does at the college level, before I tinkered with overtime.

I agree that pass interference should not be a spot foul.