Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should Trevor's speed be used for running plays?
Trevor's speed should be used for running plays
Trevor should just be used as a passing QB
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Urban, No Read Option for Trevor, please

I've said it before and I'll say it again. QB's should only run when they are being chased, are trying to pickup less than a yard on a QB sneak or they have open turf in front of them and can run out of bounds or slide down before getting hit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-05-2021, 09:01 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 08:10 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: Wentz torn ACL running for a touchdown.
Mahomes concussion trying to run for a 1st down.

Wear and tear on Andrew Luck and Cam Newton.

as someone said the injury rate is higher with the QB running, just that most plays take place in the pocket for QBs.

Tom Brady ACL in the pocket
Carson Palmer ACL in the pocket
Peyton Manning neck holding up his fivehead
Sean Payton destroyed leg standing on the sideline
Bill Grammatica ACL celebrating a routine field goal

It's a physical game, you can get hurt doing dang near anything once you step on the field. Don't limit your player, especially if that is a part of the game that made them your top pick.
Except running isn't what made Trevor a top pick

(03-05-2021, 01:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again. QB's should only run when they are being chased, are trying to pickup less than a yard on a QB sneak or they have open turf in front of them and can run out of bounds or slide down before getting hit.

Yes but you also still live in the 80s.

(03-05-2021, 04:55 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 01:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again. QB's should only run when they are being chased, are trying to pickup less than a yard on a QB sneak or they have open turf in front of them and can run out of bounds or slide down before getting hit.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxYyqvQ8XvaMO8LaMjQ0i...A&usqp=CAU]

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021, 06:36 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

He needs to be a pocket passer. The greatest QBs in NFL history were dropback passers. I saw one poster argue that Brady and Brunnel were both hurt in the pocket, but that was almost 15 years ago. You can’t hit NFL QBs anymore while they’re in the tackle box. Make him a pocket passer, period. No argument to be made. I DON’T want RGlll 2.0. Anyone who argues for the read option is foolish IMO.

I usually disagree with your posts, but I’m gonna have to strongly agree with you here. Well said.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021, 06:54 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-05-2021, 04:55 PM)Upper Wrote:

So enlighten me on all of these running QBs.  And I'm not saying mobile.  I'm saying running QBs.  I'm sorry, but a QBs first job is to pass.

Maybe the majority of QB injuries occur in the pocket is because the majority of top QBs actually play in the pocket?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

The other thing is speed/athleticism is one of the first things to go, especially with alot of wear and tear. You see this with running backs. So the running QB has a much shorter window even without a major injury. So mid career the running QB has to basically try to change into a pocket passer.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021, 10:05 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(03-04-2021, 10:48 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: It seems like running ability is the most important for a QB these days. Sometimes I see it as code words to describe what kind of QB they want. Sometimes I wonder why nobody wants to admit that the GOAT has a little more than 1,000 running yards in 20 seasons.

The next Goat ran a similar 40 to Tlaw.

(03-04-2021, 11:18 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 11:08 AM)WhyWouldYouPostThat Wrote: Was it ever decided amongst the board if Trevor's hair was long enough for his elite status?

Yes, it was decided that he's the only elite NFL QB in NFL history with long hair. (not medium length)

He's also the only Elite NFL QB whos never played in the NFL.

(03-05-2021, 10:04 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:48 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: It seems like running ability is the most important for a QB these days. Sometimes I see it as code words to describe what kind of QB they want. Sometimes I wonder why nobody wants to admit that the GOAT has a little more than 1,000 running yards in 20 seasons.

The next Goat ran a similar 40 to Tlaw.

(03-04-2021, 11:18 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: Yes, it was decided that he's the only elite NFL QB in NFL history with long hair. (not medium length)

This will soon change. Get used to it.

(03-06-2021, 12:27 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 10:04 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: The next Goat ran a similar 40 to Tlaw.

I hope so, but im not one to just believe it before i see it.

I can almost guarantee the RPO will be used. The kid excels at everything. Injuries are part of football every season.

IOW, don't draft a QB to be an RB.

I'd hi-five you on that, but you know.... Wink

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 09:53 AM by Mikey.)

(03-05-2021, 02:59 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 09:01 AM)Mikey Wrote: Tom Brady ACL in the pocket
Carson Palmer ACL in the pocket
Peyton Manning neck holding up his fivehead
Sean Payton destroyed leg standing on the sideline
Bill Grammatica ACL celebrating a routine field goal

It's a physical game, you can get hurt doing dang near anything once you step on the field. Don't limit your player, especially if that is a part of the game that made them your top pick.
Except running isn't what made Trevor a top pick

Where did I say it was?
My point was that I am not going to require a player to become a statue, nor am I going to panic over the sky falling because my QB is out of the pocket. Injuries happen every flipping where on the field. If his mobility is part of the package that makes him the top pick, why wouldn't you use it? Not saying we need QB sweep in the playbook, but rollouts, scrambles, etc. should be fair game if he is capable of executing them.

...or are you just trying to be a contrarian again? The whole notion you voiced was that he should be in the pocket because everyone who scrambles gets hurt while running. Plenty of guys get hurt standing in the pocket, too.

(03-06-2021, 12:27 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 10:04 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: The next Goat ran a similar 40 to Tlaw.

....are you saying TLaw is getting a buzzcut?

THE HORROR

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2021, 11:22 AM by Tank Commander.)

(03-08-2021, 09:51 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 02:59 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: Except running isn't what made Trevor a top pick

Where did I say it was?
My point was that I am not going to require a player to become a statue, nor am I going to panic over the sky falling because my QB is out of the pocket. Injuries happen every flipping where on the field. If his mobility is part of the package that makes him the top pick, why wouldn't you use it? Not saying we need QB sweep in the playbook, but rollouts, scrambles, etc. should be fair game if he is capable of executing them.

...or are you just trying to be a contrarian again? The whole notion you voiced was that he should be in the pocket because everyone who scrambles gets hurt while running. Plenty of guys get hurt standing in the pocket, too.

(03-06-2021, 12:27 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: This will soon change. Get used to it.

THE HORROR

I don't think you get it.
There's a difference between using your mobility to extend plays and avoid getting sacked and using it to gain yards on the ground.

Rodgers is a prime example. Fairly mobile but uses his mobility only to buy time and is always looking down field for an open man. Running for yardage is only used as a last resort when there is nobody around.

As opposed to a QB who is actively looking to gain yardage running like Cam Newton.

Dabo started using Lawrence as a dual threat QB in his sophomore (especially) and junior seasons.
I thought this was a mistake as it can lead to serious injury.
In the national championship game alone against LSU, Lawrence started running and got rocked and fumbled at least once, maybe twice.
It's just not worth the risk with such a generational talent.
Trevor's already suffered a torn labrum. You want your QB to take as little hits as possible to avoid major injury, wear and tear and improve longevity.

You don't want a Carson Wentz (a similar tall, but lanky/skinny QB) deer in the headlights/PTSD situation after he was mismanged and got destroyed running for a touchdown and subsequent ACL injury and decline in production.

(03-08-2021, 11:21 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:51 AM)Mikey Wrote: Where did I say it was?

THE HORROR

There's a difference between using your mobility to extend plays and avoid getting sacked and using it to gain yards on the ground.

Rodgers is a prime example. Fairly mobile but uses his mobility only to buy time and is always looking down field for an open man. Running for yardage is only used as a last resort when there is nobody around.

As opposed to a QB who is actively looking to gain yardage running like Cam Newton.

Dabo started using Lawrence as a dual threat QB in his sophomore (especially) and junior seasons.
In the national championship game alone against LSU, Lawrence started running and got rocked and fumbled at least once, maybe twice.
Trevor's already suffered a torn labrum. You want your QB to take as little hits as possible to avoid major injury, wear and tear and improve longevity.

You don't want a Carson Wentz (a similar tall, but lanky/skinny QB) deer in the headlights/PTSD situation after he was mismanged and got destroyed running for a touchdown and subsequent ACL injury and decline in production.

Wentz is a horrible exanple.  His knee injury had zero to do with his problems this year.  He was getting pummeled IN THE POCKET.

(03-08-2021, 11:24 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 11:21 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: I don't think you get it.

Wentz is a horrible exanple.  His knee injury had zero to do with his problems this year.  He was getting pummeled IN THE POCKET.

He lost his confidence and mobility (elite 3 cone 6.86, good 40 4.77 for a 6-7 giant) after the ACL he suffered running for a touchdown.
Hasn't been the same since and now has PTSD.

It's still uncertain whether he will ever be able to turn it around with the Colts.
And this guy was a top 2 pick who was having an NFL MVP season pre injury.

(03-08-2021, 11:28 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 11:24 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Wentz is a horrible exanple.  His knee injury had zero to do with his problems this year.  He was getting pummeled IN THE POCKET.

He lost his confidence and mobility (elite 3 cone 6.86, good 40 4.77 for a 6-7 giant) after the ACL he suffered running for a touchdown.

It's still uncertain whether he will ever be able to turn it around with the Colts.

You really make some BAD points and you are so [BLEEP] wrong about Wentz it's absurd.  He hurt his knee in 2017, had very good years in 2018 and 2019, yet somehow this supposed PTSD is related to a four year old knee injury.  Dumb.

(03-08-2021, 11:31 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 11:28 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: He lost his confidence and mobility (elite 3 cone 6.86, good 40 4.77 for a 6-7 giant) after the ACL he suffered running for a touchdown.

You really make some BAD points and you are so [BLEEP] wrong about Wentz it's absurd.  He hurt his knee in 2017, had very good years in 2018 and 2019, yet somehow this supposed PTSD is related to a four year old knee injury.  Dumb.

Rico, getting emotional. which means losing the arugment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGge4NtTUE

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/04/carson...ews-eagles

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 09:11 AM by Mikey.)

(03-08-2021, 11:21 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:51 AM)Mikey Wrote: Where did I say it was?

THE HORROR

The funny thing is, I do get it. I just don't waste bandwidth building a thread to decry something that likely isn't going to be a big (if existent at all) part of our offense. You're the one who dug heels into the sand when level headed posters here noted that players can (and do) get hurt standing in the pocket equally as those who scramble. Injuries are going to happen. I ain't gonna drive up my BP over the playbook, but you do you.

So, in other words, blank #2.

Do you honestly believe that we are going to be running TLaw on designed runs more than 1-2 times a game?

(03-08-2021, 11:31 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 11:28 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: He lost his confidence and mobility (elite 3 cone 6.86, good 40 4.77 for a 6-7 giant) after the ACL he suffered running for a touchdown.

To imagine that tawmy ever stood in the pocket again after Bernard Pollard destroyed his knee. I mean, he never accomplished anything after that, right?

Maybe Wentz just needs to grow a mane of luscious locks and he will return to his elite form.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 09:52 AM by RicoTx.)

(03-08-2021, 11:34 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 11:31 AM)RicoTx Wrote: You really make some BAD points and you are so [BLEEP] wrong about Wentz it's absurd.  He hurt his knee in 2017, had very good years in 2018 and 2019, yet somehow this supposed PTSD is related to a four year old knee injury.  Dumb.

Rico, getting emotional. which means losing the arugment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGge4NtTUE

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/04/carson...ews-eagles

If 'losing the argument' means that you have no idea what you're talking about...I lost.  Why don't you post some three cone or 40 times, that might help.  

I'm not quite sure what posting an article from 2018 is supposed to show, but good job.

You post crap that has zero correlation to your 'argument' like it's supposed to mean something.  You did the EXACT same thing in the Watson thread.