Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Good interview with Meyer!

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021, 10:38 PM by jaguarmvp.)

Good stuff in here at the jaguars.com homepage. I love some of the things he says about lawrence.

I am buying what he is selling right now.  Sounds good! 

https://www.jaguars.com/news/meyer-speak...-the-dream
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's definitely saying all the right things.. Let's see it in action.. Not saying that he won't, we've just been burnt many times over 'round here..

I don't see many ice cream socials in the locker room after the game though.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2021, 08:08 AM by Bullseye.)

Thanks for posting!

One thing that stands out about the interview to me is, seemingly more than any other coach I've seen interviewed before, is his sense of urgency about getting the off season free agency and draft right.

I have no doubt all NFL coaches take the draft seriously, but he has conveyed that more strongly...more emphatically...more urgently than anyone I've seen.  

I think this speaks well of his skills communicating effectively and his desire to win.  But I also hear a lot of speculation about Meyer's ability to handle the stress of losing and who will call the personnel shots.

It is my belief Meyer will call the shots.  I may be wrong about that.  But to the extent Baalke calls the shots, I wonder how Meyer would handle it if Baalke made a move or series of moves on draft day or in free agency that Meyer disagreed with.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-06-2021, 08:07 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Thanks for posting!

One thing that stands out about the interview to me is, seemingly more than any other coach I've seen interviewed before, is his sense of urgency about getting the off season free agency and draft right.

I have no doubt all NFL coaches take the draft seriously, but he has conveyed that more strongly...more emphatically...more urgently than anyone I've seen.  

I think this speaks well of his skills communicating effectively and his desire to win.  But I also hear a lot of speculation about Meyer's ability to handle the stress of losing and who will call the personnel shots.

It is my belief Meyer will call the shots.  I may be wrong about that.  But to the extent Baalke calls the shots, I wonder how Meyer would handle it if Baalke made a move or series of moves on draft day or in free agency that Meyer disagreed with.

I get the strong impression that Meyer is the ultimate decision maker.  I don't think he would have come out of retirement if that was not going to be the case.  

I get the same impression as you about Meyer having a sense of urgency.  But I think that's just the way he is.  He has a constant sense of urgency about everything, and that's one of the things that makes him a great head coach.

(03-06-2021, 08:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I get the strong impression that Meyer is the ultimate decision maker.  I don't think he would have come out of retirement if that was not going to be the case.  

I get the same impression as you about Meyer having a sense of urgency.  But I think that's just the way he is.  He has a constant sense of urgency about everything, and that's one of the things that makes him a great head coach.
(Emphasis added)

I don't doubt this for one second.  In no way do I believe that urgency is contrived or an act.  If it were, his players would have picked up on it, wouldn't buy in to him or his system, and ultimately he would have failed.

But that hasn't happened anywhere he's been.  All of his former players I've heard on the matter seem to speak highly of him.

(03-06-2021, 08:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I get that sense that Meyer is running the show as well. Everything both have said lends credence to that idea. When Baalke was hired he was quoted as saying, “I'm a resource for coach, that's the way I look at it." His title is GM but his role is more like a Director of Player Personnel with Meyer ultimately in charge.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-06-2021, 11:36 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 08:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I get the strong impression that Meyer is the ultimate decision maker.  I don't think he would have come out of retirement if that was not going to be the case.  

I get that sense that Meyer is running the show as well. Everything both have said lends credence to that idea. When Baalke was hired he was quoted as saying, “I'm a resource for coach, that's the way I look at it." His title is GM but his role is more like a Director of Player Personnel with Meyer ultimately in charge.

Clubs usually live and die with the GM.. Looks like the Jags are the exception.. Live and die with the HC..

(03-06-2021, 11:42 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 11:36 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I get that sense that Meyer is running the show as well. Everything both have said lends credence to that idea. When Baalke was hired he was quoted as saying, “I'm a resource for coach, that's the way I look at it." His title is GM but his role is more like a Director of Player Personnel with Meyer ultimately in charge.

Clubs usually live and die with the GM.. Looks like the Jags are the exception.. Live and die with the HC..

Bellicheck runs the whole program in new england.  There are a couple of other teams where the coaches are the real decision makers as well.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

I love this guy. Gus Bradley type of motivator but a way more serious edge for results. I have faith in Urabn Meyer.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2021, 02:29 AM by surfon.)

1.  He sits trent down and stares across the desk and says.  Trent that wasnt fast!  Now you better get out there and show me fast.  I'll be in here shining my boots.

Talk is cheap. Until I see his words translate successfully into the pro game, I remain healthily skeptical.
Don’t get me wrong, I hope for the best, but a sales job does not a team make.

(03-07-2021, 01:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Talk is cheap. Until I see his words translate successfully into the pro game, I remain healthily skeptical.

A smart take.

As urgent as he sounds about getting the draft right, that urgency, standing alone, does not equate to performance.

(03-07-2021, 01:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Talk is cheap. Until I see his words translate successfully into the pro game, I remain healthily skeptical.

Agreed. I'm old enough to remember when people were in a tizzy about Gus Bradley and thought he'd turn our defense into some of those terrific Seattle defenses. Granted, it's a completely different scenario but hype doesn't usually translate to results. Sometimes it does though, so keeping an open mind.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

It’s all about the QB.

I got a bit of a Jack Del Rio vibe reading that.
I still don't see this ending well. It's easy to talk up how you push people from being great to being elite, but regardless, this team is going to get a few big spankings in 2021. He talks about elite being the guy who performs after he's gotten winded a few times. But for NFL coaching, elite motivational techniques and gameplans have to hold up after a few drubbings and a few heartbreaks. Hopefully not many but there will be some. No one goes undefeated in the NFL.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The one thing that I always questioned about our other Head Coaches (other than Coughlin) was how well did they really understand the X's and O's of watching the opponents game film. I think Urban sees details certain other coaches don't see and will be able to take advantage of opponents tendencies --- by this I mean, if an opponents QB's fee t are not lined up parallel on passing plays, Urban will scope that out. Conversely, our offense will not be as predictable as it was in the past. If I recall correctly, there was a stat back in 2019 that revealed the Jags passed 95% of the time when Fournette was not in the backfield.

(03-08-2021, 09:09 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The one thing that I always questioned about our other Head Coaches (other than Coughlin) was how well did they really understand the X's and O's of watching the opponents game film.  I think Urban sees details certain other coaches don't see and will be able to take advantage of opponents tendencies --- by this I mean, if an opponents QB's fee t are not lined up parallel on passing plays, Urban will scope that out.  Conversely, our offense will not be as predictable as it was in the past.  If I recall correctly, there was a stat back in 2019 that revealed the Jags passed 95% of the time when Fournette was not in the backfield.

Had you looked up predictable in the dictionary, it would have said, 'See Jacksonville Jaguars - Offense and Defense. Also see 'You suck, Todd Wash'.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2021, 07:20 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I like this, run the football to set up the PA. I wonder Meyer would draft Etienne or Harris with one of our 2nds? I don't think he would at 33 but if Etienne is there at 45 I could see Meyer pulling the trigger

https://twitter.com/1010XL/status/137480...90565?s=19

(03-24-2021, 07:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I like this,  run the football to set up the PA. I wonder Meyer would draft Etienne or Harris with one of our 2nds? I don't think he would at 33 but if Etienne is there at 45 I could see Meyer pulling the trigger

As much as I'd love to have Etienne or Harris, as long as it's not with the 25th pick.. We need Oline..

But at around 45, I'd think about trading up to grab either..

(03-24-2021, 07:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I like this,  run the football to set up the PA. I wonder Meyer would draft Etienne or Harris with one of our 2nds? I don't think he would at 33 but if Etienne is there at 45 I could see Meyer pulling the trigger

This team better not even be thinking about drafting a RB before the 4th round, at the absolute earliest.

I like Etienne and all, but we have far bigger needs on this team and have no business drafting a RB in the 2nd round. Especially when we just watched what an UDFA did this past season.