Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 06:18 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-09-2021, 01:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Hunter Henry and Golladay not tagged.

After hearing Urban today, it looks like DL, TE and WR may be priorities.

(03-09-2021, 05:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 05:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I still think we should re-sign Cole. As far as prioritizing WR over OT, it is very stupid.

I'm not sure anyone associated with this team has done that yet.

Chill.

What is this then?

Quote:Cleatwood

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-09-2021, 06:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 05:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So if we lose all three what do we really "lose"?  If I could only keep one I would probably lean towards Cole.  With that being said none of them are really "difference makers" or "must have" players.

I'd like to have Cole back, but the other two are no real loss at all. Conley and Westbrook can be replaced with UDFA's.

Not if we want a quality group of WR's.

UDFA's are UDFA's for a reason.

Quality UDFA's are very few and far in between.

Hurns is the only WR I can think of that we hit on as an UDFA  and we sign multiple every year.

(03-09-2021, 06:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

(03-09-2021, 05:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm not sure anyone associated with this team has done that yet.

Chill.

What is this then?

(emphasis added)

Looking at the word in bold at the bottom...speculation.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-08-2021, 08:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:52 PM)Upper Wrote: We have to move heaven and earth to try to get Trent Williams. He is really the only player that unlocks the rest of the offseason for us. Without Trent we virtually have to use pick 25 on an LT, which I don't hate I think there are good tackles that will be available then but I still don't want to be locked in to that.

After that signing a S and a TE will also give us ultimate freedom in the draft.

We are in complete agreement, though I am unsure if we sign a TE in free agency.

Why?  I think it's likely they sign either Henry or Smith and would be very surprised if they didn't at least try.  It just makes too much sense to me.

First, it's a huge need.  Remember that they cut Tyler Eifert.  James O'Shaugnessy is also an unrestricted free agent.  If the season were to start today, Josh Oliver would be top of the depth chart at tight end.  Although he is a former third round pick, he's been unable to stay healthy and has only played in four games and only has 3 career receptions.  If he's not healthy (and many question if he will be), Tyler Davis is our top tight end.  He's a sixth rounder from last year who played sparingly and has never made a single reception.  We clearly need to upgrade.

Second, Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith are good tight ends who will be available in free agency.  The Jaguars also have more money under the salary cap than any other team.  Why not use it on a major need?  I also see little reason to suspect that they wouldn't want to come here.  If anything, I think they would like the idea of having Trevor Lawrence being the one throwing balls to them.

Third, there's a lack of options in the draft.  We're not positioned to realistically acquire Kyle Pitts.  The only other tight end that is being consistently mocked in the first two rounds is Pat Freiermuth.  The problem is that he is one guy.  Are we going to make a major reach in the draft just to ensure we get him?  If we wait, what happens if some team ahead of us takes him?  Remember, if teams know we are desperate at tight end, another team that likes Freiermuth might trade to the spot right ahead of us to get him.

Fourth, rookie tight ends often take time to develop.  I really like the idea of signing a free agent tight end in order to give Trevor Lawrence another immediate weapon.

If I had to bet on the Jaguars signing anything in free agency, it would be a tight end.

(03-09-2021, 06:17 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

(03-09-2021, 05:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I'm not sure anyone associated with this team has done that yet.

Chill.

What is this then?

I’m saying what Urban said.

For me personally, I would upgrade the OLine but it doesn’t appear that’s Urbans first priority. He wants to bolster the DLine (smart), upgrade the TE room (smart) and add some speed and big play ability to the WR room.

After re-listening to the Meyer presser from this morning, he stated that with the Covid limitations, he is more apt to be comfortable with free agent players that one of his coaches have experience with. One of the positions he mentioned was a need for a big play player in the WR room. In looking at the top WRs available, Kenny Golladay played with OC Bevell and Curtis Samuel played with HC Meyer at Ohio State. There could be others, but thought I would note those two.

Here is a link to the Meyer press conference.

https://www.jaguars.com/video/press-conf...rban-meyer

He seems to have relied upon Warhop's opinion to guide the decision.

He said he studied Cam Robinson, and he seems to think Cam will get better.

(03-09-2021, 06:45 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: We are in complete agreement, though I am unsure if we sign a TE in free agency.

Why?  I think it's likely they sign either Henry or Smith and would be very surprised if they didn't at least try.  It just makes too much sense to me.

First, it's a huge need.  Remember that they cut Tyler Eifert.  James O'Shaugnessy is also an unrestricted free agent.  If the season were to start today, Josh Oliver would be top of the depth chart at tight end.  Although he is a former third round pick, he's been unable to stay healthy and has only played in four games and only has 3 career receptions.  If he's not healthy (and many question if he will be), Tyler Davis is our top tight end.  He's a sixth rounder from last year who played sparingly and has never made a single reception.  We clearly need to upgrade.

Second, Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith are good tight ends who will be available in free agency.  The Jaguars also have more money under the salary cap than any other team.  Why not use it on a major need?  I also see little reason to suspect that they wouldn't want to come here.  If anything, I think they would like the idea of having Trevor Lawrence being the one throwing balls to them.

Third, there's a lack of options in the draft.  We're not positioned to realistically acquire Kyle Pitts.  The only other tight end that is being consistently mocked in the first two rounds is Pat Freiermuth.  The problem is that he is one guy.  Are we going to make a major reach in the draft just to ensure we get him?  If we wait, what happens if some team ahead of us takes him?  Remember, if teams know we are desperate at tight end, another team that likes Freiermuth might trade to the spot right ahead of us to get him.

Fourth, rookie tight ends often take time to develop.  I really like the idea of signing a free agent tight end in order to give Trevor Lawrence another immediate weapon.

If I had to bet on the Jaguars signing anything in free agency, it would be a tight end.

I typed this before hearing the Meyer comment about needing to change the TE room.

Not being familiar with Meyer or Baalke, I'm not sure how they think...not like I was with TC's personnel moves after years of him being involved with the Jaguars.

Not anything complex.  I agree with everything you said above.  I just don't know how the Jaguars brass thinks right now.

Having heard that, I agree TE will likely be a target in FA, if not also the draft.

(03-09-2021, 06:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 05:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So if we lose all three what do we really "lose"?  If I could only keep one I would probably lean towards Cole.  With that being said none of them are really "difference makers" or "must have" players.

I'd like to have Cole back, but the other two are no real loss at all. Conley and Westbrook can be replaced with UDFA's.

Conley's an interesting case. Given his physical skills, he should be an all-pro. But he's not. I'd like to have him back to see what a new QB and coaching staff could do with him but since he's never really broken through it wouldn't be a huge loss if he's cut. Cole on the other hand, needs to be back. Dropping him would be a mistake.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-09-2021, 06:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Here is a link to the Meyer press conference.

This is exactly why I wanted Warhop gone and I wasn't happy with the Meyer signing.

(03-09-2021, 06:32 PM)Predator Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 06:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd like to have Cole back, but the other two are no real loss at all. Conley and Westbrook can be replaced with UDFA's.

Not if we want a quality group of WR's.

Hurns is the only WR I can think of that we hit on as an UDFA  and we sign multiple every year.

Jimmy Smith says hello.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 07:56 PM by RicoTx.)

(03-09-2021, 07:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 06:32 PM)Predator Wrote: Not if we want a quality group of WR's.

Jimmy Smith says hello.

Incorrect.  Jimmy Smith was drafted in the second round in 1992 by the Dallas Cowboys.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 08:18 PM by Cleatwood.)

(03-09-2021, 07:48 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 07:43 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Jimmy Smith says hello.

Incorrect.  Jimmy Smith was drafted in the second round in 1992 by the Dallas Cowboys.
Jimmy!

(03-09-2021, 07:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 06:50 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Here is a link to the Meyer press conference.

This is exactly why I wanted Warhop gone and I wasn't happy with the Meyer signing.

I don't see how anyone could have predicted Warhop would give Cam Robinson a ringing endorsement or that Meyer would buy it.

FWIW, Meyer indicated the class of Ts in free agency was less than ideal, and that Cam was still a young, ascending player who may need to be coached to get better.

Would be a good get

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1369...94689?s=19

(03-09-2021, 08:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 07:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is exactly why I wanted Warhop gone and I wasn't happy with the Meyer signing.

I don't see how anyone could have predicted Warhop would give Cam Robinson a ringing endorsement or that Meyer would buy it.

Warhop is very bad at his job, and Cam is very bad at his job. I could surmise that would mean Warhop thinks Cam is good.

Johnson III needs to become priority #1. One of Jonnu, Henry, or Everett #2. One if Lawson or Barrett #3. Tomlinson or Shelby Harris #4. If we get one of each of those buckets FA could be salvaged.

(03-09-2021, 04:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: We’re gonna lose Cole, Conley, and Westbrook. WR depth is a need.

Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook are the two Offensive Side of the ball Jaguars UFAs that caught my attention when looking at FA lists. In part because of their Special Teams Returns value.  

Because Westbrook is coming off a major knee injury,  a one year contract probably will be what he ends up signing.

(03-09-2021, 08:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 07:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is exactly why I wanted Warhop gone and I wasn't happy with the Meyer signing.

FWIW, Meyer indicated the class of Ts in free agency was less than ideal, and that Cam was still a young, ascending player who may need to be coached to get better.

My problem is that Robinson has the same positional coach he's always had as a pro and if anything he's stayed the same. How could any reasonable person think anything was gonna change with him? It doesn't say much for the judgement of our new coaching staff.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2021, 10:00 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-09-2021, 09:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 08:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't see how anyone could have predicted Warhop would give Cam Robinson a ringing endorsement or that Meyer would buy it.

My problem is that Robinson has the same positional coach he's always had as a pro and if anything he's stayed the same. How could any reasonable person think anything was gonna change with him? It doesn't say much for the judgement of our new coaching staff.

No.  His rookie year he didn't have Warhop. 

I keep forgetting his name (edit:  Pat Flaherty), but he had the OL coach before him.  Warhop didn't come aboard until after the 2018 season when everything went to crap.  Marrone made changes to the coaching staff I wasn't crazy about.  Getting rid of Flaherty was one of those changes.