Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free agency Day 1 grades

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2021, 11:16 PM by jaguarmvp.)

I give it a good solid D-

We need starters and only one maybe penciled in as a starter. We led the league in cap space and signed no impact players so far.  boo

One has to wonder if Khan had something to do with this. He is involved in all aspects of signing now. Could he maybe refuse to open up the checkbook?
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-15-2021, 11:15 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I give it a good solid D-

We need starters and only one maybe penciled in as a starter. We led the league in cap space and signed no impact players so far.  boo

One has to wonder if Khan had something to do with this.  He is involved in all aspects of signing now.  Could he maybe refuse to open up the checkbook?

He has to reach the salary cap floor. He has no choice but to open the check book.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

I’ll wait two years before I try to grade anything.

Free agency is fools gold. There’s a reason why teams let these guys walk.
You're Welcome.

Still plenty of good guys left, I feel like the Jaguars will make a decent splash tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if Henry/Everett and maybe another decent FA get announced tomorrow.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2021, 11:45 PM by TheDuke007.)

As tempting as it is to give it an F, I suppose a D- is probably fair.  We might have upgraded two starting positions where we had virtually nothing with lowly rated players and got some special teamers and insignificant depth.  At this point, unless we somehow get Trent Williams, I can't see us getting better than a C in free agency.  If we also lose out on Hunter Henry, we probably can only top out as D+.  This was a bad, bad day.

It's been a nightmare.

There is plenty of time left.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-15-2021, 11:47 PM)Dimson Wrote: There is plenty of time left.

There is time left, but not plenty of time left.  Most of the good players are already committed elsewhere.  We virtually have to run the table at this point in order to save free agency.

B-

Getting the DT to shore up the run defense is huge, we now have an upgrade at safety and some depth who's a ST ace, a KR that can be used as a scatback (still an overpay imho), I'm biased against Hyde but if it were any similar player it would be considered a good signing.

Don't get the Dorsett signing, why not bring back Cole instead?
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 12:03 AM by MJonesD_32.)

(03-15-2021, 11:34 PM)High Octane Wrote: Still plenty of good guys left, I feel like the Jaguars will make a decent splash tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if Henry/Everett and maybe another decent FA get announced tomorrow.

This would maybe be the reason that we can't jump the gun just yet. Henry and Golliday or Henry and JuJu would work for me tomorrow.

(03-15-2021, 11:55 PM)Firesky Wrote: B-

Getting the DT to shore up the run defense is huge, we now have an upgrade at safety and some depth who's a ST ace, a KR that can be used as a scatback (still an overpay imho), I'm biased against Hyde but if it were any similar player it would be considered a good signing.

Where you getting a B- from?

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 12:49 AM by jvillejagsn1.)

When was the last big name/price FA signing that really to worked out for us? Calais? Before and after him I’m having a hard time recalling anyone that panned out. In the last decade I’m meaning.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(03-16-2021, 12:01 AM)MJonesD_32 Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 11:34 PM)High Octane Wrote: Still plenty of good guys left, I feel like the Jaguars will make a decent splash tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if Henry/Everett and maybe another decent FA get announced tomorrow.

This would maybe be the reason that we can't jump the gun just yet. Henry and Golliday or Henry and JuJu would work for me tomorrow.

(03-15-2021, 11:55 PM)Firesky Wrote: B-

I am hoping he's drunk and hit the wrong grade.  No sane man would give this day any better than a D.  The jags signed a bunch of backups today.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(03-16-2021, 12:49 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:01 AM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: This would maybe be the reason that we can't jump the gun just yet. Henry and Golliday or Henry and JuJu would work for me tomorrow.

I am hoping he's drunk and hit the wrong grade.  No sane man would give this day any better than a D.  The jags signed a bunch of backups today.

Completely agree bud.

I mean.. i know we lacked in depth and addressed some of that - but we need some damn IMPACT players. even if we land 1 or 2 tomorrow, ill upgrade to a C+ but wth is going on here.

The only thing that would save this free agency for me is signing Hunter Henry and either Trent Williams or Riley Reiff. I do not see us signing any clear starters so far. We have a DE/DT who should compete for a 3-4 DE role. A Safety who should compete for a starting spot and some good, yet overpriced special teams players and backups. Finally, we get to the "piece de resistance," a 30 year old RB with no gas left in the tank that we already cut once before. Definitely not what I was expecting on the first day of the draft.

It seems like Baalke is gonna make us miss Caldwell.

If this is our FA signings I expect worse from the Draft... (not counting Trevor of course). I can already see it, picks where most of us are shaking our heads lol.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(03-16-2021, 12:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The only thing that would save this free agency for me is signing Hunter Henry and either Trent Williams or Riley Reiff. I do not see us signing any clear starters so far. We have a DE/DT who should compete for a 3-4 DE role. A Safety who should compete for a starting spot and some good, yet overpriced special teams players and backups. Finally, we get to the "piece de resistance," a 30 year old RB with no gas left in the tank that we already cut once before. Definitely not what I was expecting on the first day of the draft.

I can't disagree with you. i mean... you are right.

F. Overpaid a player who's main specialty is a punt returner and the defense cant even force punts.

(03-16-2021, 12:59 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: It seems like Baalke is gonna make us miss Caldwell.

If this is our FA signings I expect worse from the Draft... (not counting Trevor of course). I can already see it, picks where most of us are shaking our heads lol.

I missed Caldwell the minute they announced Baalke as GM. 

We might as well, say goodbye to the notion of getting Trent Williams. I just read several websites that said the Niners, Chiefs and Bears are fighting it out for his services. No mention at all of the Jags. This combined with the results of day 1 of free agency is making our front office look pretty incompetent. We may not score any points or stop other teams from scoring points, but at least we'll have great special teams play. Hooray.......

I like what this regime has been doing so far. They kept the OL in tact while luring a pay cut out of a Norwell and didn’t put all eggs in one basket in free agency. This team has constantly “won” free agency and look where it got them. Frankly I would go about free agency in the same way, trying to sign a lot of what I would consider underrated players that are supplemental pieces. This is a great strategy when you have your quarterback.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 04:06 AM by Bullseye.)

I would give the team an incomplete, because we are just a day into free agency, and many of the guys deemed to be the best targets out there-especially for us-are still on the market unsigned.

If, after the first week or so of free agency, those guys we could have signed signed elsewhere, and all we're left is with the caliber of guys we signed today, then I would not hesitate to give a failing grade.

It makes no sense to give the team a bad grade for free agency ath this point, if they turned around tomorrow (or later today) and signed Trent WIlliams, Hunter Henry, Curtis Samuel,  and Tomlinson.  If the team landed those three or even three of those four, it would be hard to give the team a bad grade for free agency overall.

But since we're just a day into it, and many of the guys we've discussed all off season to date are still available to be signed, I've no choice but to give the team an incomplete grade right now.

That said, there is plenty of cause for concern.

(03-15-2021, 11:26 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 11:15 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I give it a good solid D-

One has to wonder if Khan had something to do with this.  He is involved in all aspects of signing now.  Could he maybe refuse to open up the checkbook?

He has to reach the salary cap floor. He has no choice but to open the check book.

They have said they have permission from Khan to spend to the cap and they said they would.

Sticking with bargain basement signings like this will alienate the fan base and mitigate whatever positive momentum the teaam and fanbase have built this offseason...at least until they draft Trevor Lawrence.

The heat would immediately go to Baalke and Meyer.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!