Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free agency Day 1 grades

(03-16-2021, 01:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:59 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: It seems like Baalke is gonna make us miss Caldwell.

If this is our FA signings I expect worse from the Draft... (not counting Trevor of course). I can already see it, picks where most of us are shaking our heads lol.

I missed Caldwell the minute they announced Baalke as GM. 

We might as well, say goodbye to the notion of getting Trent Williams. I just read several websites that said the Niners, Chiefs and Bears are fighting it out for his services. No mention at all of the Jags. This combined with the results of day 1 of free agency is making our front office look pretty incompetent. We may not score any points or stop other teams from scoring points, but at least we'll have great special teams play. Hooray.......

This paints a very bleak picture, but it's almost unavoidable to come to this conclusion.

The only thing giving me some hope is that many of the targets most of us have wanted are still available and we still have plenty of cap money.

But day one showed the tacks getting a good pass rusher in Bud Dupree.  Day one showed the Texans making a couple of trades, at least one is for a quality edge rusher in Shaq Lawson.  The Colts traded for theur QB even about 2-3 weeks before. 

Right now, nothing has happened thus far this offseason showing we have made any progress whatsoever in becoming a better team.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-15-2021, 11:31 PM)maddenisfordorks Wrote: I’ll wait two years before I try to grade anything.

Free agency is fools gold. There’s a reason why teams let these guys walk.

(Emphasis added)

Not necessarily.  Smart teams have been able to add in free agency and help propel them to Super Bowls.

Tampa signed guys like Suh, Barrett, JPP, Brady, Fournette and Antonio Brown and those additions led them to the championship. 

The year before, the Chiefs added guys like the Honey Badger and Sammy Watkins to win the Super Bowl.

Before then, the Eagles added guys like Malcolm Jenkins and Alshon Jeffery in free agency and won it.

This has been the case dating back to the advent of free agency, when the 49ers added Deion Sanders and Ken Norton Jr to lead them to the Super Bowl, Dallas adding Deion Sanders the next year and winning it all for the 3rd time in four years, and the Packers adding Sean Jones and Reggie White in free agency to win it all in 1996.

In order to reach those levels, this team has to be smart...and willing to spend smartly.

It's too soon to tell if this team will do that.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-16-2021, 12:48 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: When was the last big name/price FA signing that really to worked out for us? Calais? Before and after him I’m having a hard time recalling anyone that panned out. In the last decade I’m meaning.

The Campbell, Church, Bouye year was a good free agency. Imagine firing Dave Caldwell and replacing him with Trent Baalke!  That’s not elite. That’s regression.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

We need Reiff or Williams, Hunter Henry and starters at CB and S to save Free agency on day two... Then build D Line and Depth in the Draft.

I think what we have to keep in mind is that money that is unspent in free agency is still in our pocket, unlike a draft pick, which has to be spent.

Bad drafting is disastrous. Failure to hire impact free agents is not on the same level. We still have the money and the cap space, which can be carried forward.

So I don't think you can give a "bad grade" for not making splash free agent signings. In the long run, what hurts is bad drafting.

Fitzpatrick to the WFT

Free agency is for losers. We’ve won the offseason so many times just to lose during the season while we watched teams who lost the offseason beat us when it mattered.

Frankly the only real loss so far is Tomlinson. I really had no interest in paying top dollar for the other guys, maybe Jonnu.

Build through the draft. That’s how you win.

(03-16-2021, 07:25 AM)NoShoes Wrote: Free agency is for losers. We’ve won the offseason so many times just to lose during the season while we watched teams who lost the offseason beat us when it mattered.

Frankly the only real loss so far is Tomlinson. I really had no interest in paying top dollar for the other guys, maybe Jonnu.

Build through the draft. That’s how you win.

We've been hearing this same old speech for years.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Btw: Ray Jenkins contract details are 4 years 35 Millions with 16 Mil guaranteed according to Spotrac.

(03-16-2021, 03:34 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 11:31 PM)maddenisfordorks Wrote: I’ll wait two years before I try to grade anything.

(Emphasis added)

Not necessarily.  Smart teams have been able to add in free agency and help propel them to Super Bowls.

Tampa signed guys like Suh, Barrett, JPP, Brady, Fournette and Antonio Brown and those additions led them to the championship. 

The year before, the Chiefs added guys like the Honey Badger and Sammy Watkins to win the Super Bowl.

Before then, the Eagles added guys like Malcolm Jenkins and Alshon Jeffery in free agency and won it.

This has been the case dating back to the advent of free agency, when the 49ers added Deion Sanders and Ken Norton Jr to lead them to the Super Bowl, Dallas adding Deion Sanders the next year and winning it all for the 3rd time in four years, and the Packers adding Sean Jones and Reggie White in free agency to win it all in 1996.

In order to reach those levels, this team has to be smart...and willing to spend smartly.

It's too soon to tell if this team will do that.
THANK YOU!

This whole "there's a reason these guys are free agents" narrative is really dumb. Lots of really good players (Calais Campbell, Malik Jackson, Tashaun Gipson) hit free agency for a multitude of reasons. This season in particular because the salary cap is about 16 million less than it was last year.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 08:02 AM by irontrooper83.)

I'm not into giving grades. And I'm usually patient and will wait to see what happens as there's still room to add valuable players but so far it's been ugly.

Compared to our post FA situation last year basically we replaced Rodney Gunter (who signed and then retired with heart condition but would have been a starter here) with Robertson-Harris (who by all accounts will be a solid player but not the sure thing on DL this team desperately needed. Hopefully he takes the next step in a bigger role for us) and Ronnie Harrison with Jenkins (who seems to be another signing).
The rest of the bunch so far are special teamers or average-below average guys (Dorsett...even when he's healthy). Carlos Hyde, the guy that when he was here on Friday complained about lack of carries and 2 days after he fumbled the ball on the first carry of the game....

Seeing how many 2 year deals, 3 year deals were given out at very reasonable prices it feels like we missed a window to overpay and bring him some quality guys that could have been easily let go in 2 years, something that we could easily afford with our cap space situation (and in the future we have Linder and Norwell contracts running out, a rookie QB contract and only Chark coming up for pay day this season).
We could do it now while most teams couldn't. In 1-2 years with the cap going up again even with the load we'll have, other teams will have more too.The time to outbid was now with next to no consequences.

It's just the first day and It can change but we really need to play it almost perfectly if we want to go into the draft with less needs than we had 2 days ago.

Day 1 is over pay day. I have faith (cough) that the Jags will begin signing better players at better value prices as the free agency period goes on.

(03-16-2021, 12:48 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: When was the last big name/price FA signing that really to worked out for us? Calais? Before and after him I’m having a hard time recalling anyone that panned out. In the last decade I’m meaning.

Calais, Bouye, Malik, and Poz were home runs. Gipson, Hayden, Parnell, and Church gave us shorter stretches of upgraded play. The list of hits is longer than the list of busts.

F-
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-15-2021, 11:15 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I give it a good solid D-

We need starters and only one maybe penciled in as a starter. We led the league in cap space and signed no impact players so far.  boo

One has to wonder if Khan had something to do with this.  He is involved in all aspects of signing now.  Could he maybe refuse to open up the checkbook?

Grading FA only after two days in, is simply personal. The players hasn't even arrived to our facility as of yet. I get it though. The mindset of some is to ridicule our team when our personal wishes/demands aren't met. This isn't directed at this poster but I've noticed MOST Jaguar fans throwing salt because players chose to sign elsewhere for whatever reason. We have to allow this process to play out. Actually we have no choice in the matter.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(03-16-2021, 09:24 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 11:15 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I give it a good solid D-

We need starters and only one maybe penciled in as a starter. We led the league in cap space and signed no impact players so far.  boo

One has to wonder if Khan had something to do with this.  He is involved in all aspects of signing now.  Could he maybe refuse to open up the checkbook?

Grading FA only after two days in, is simply personal. The players hasn't even arrived to our facility as of yet. I get it though. The mindset of some is to ridicule our team when our personal wishes/demands aren't met. This isn't directed at this poster but I've noticed MOST Jaguar fans throwing salt because players chose to sign elsewhere for whatever reason. We have to allow this process to play out. Actually we have no choice in the matter.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Frankly we don't even know that the Jags offered any of those other players. That we paid Day 1 dollars for special teamers is insulting.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

This times a thousand.

(03-16-2021, 07:42 AM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: Btw: Ray Jenkins contract details are 4 years 35 Millions with 16 Mil guaranteed according to Spotrac.

Who cares?

I know the thread says day 1 grades, but I am just going to wait to see. Trent Williams would be an auto A+ from me for FA. I do however think it's insane that on DAY ONE of FA they target a soon to be 31 y/o RB when we have 11 picks (I think? Can't keep up) in this upcoming draft, especially coming off the recent success of undrafted star J ROB. I mean you couldn't give them a better example of why you should draft RB's, not sign them from FA. It is only 3M, but you have to question the thought process on that one. I know it's Urban's boy, but holy that is BAD...

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 11:00 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Hunter Henry is now a Patriot. This free agency is an unmitigated disaster. We get no top Safety, no premier TE and no OT help. All the top guys at those positions are now gone or we are not even being discussed as a contender for their services (Williams and Reiff.) This logically points me to one of three options

1. Shad Khan instructed the front office not to spend a lot of money.
2. Free agents just don't want to come here due to the past drama with players wanting out or the complete inexperience of the head coach.
3. Our front office and head coach are completely incompetent.

I truly don't know which one it is, but it has to be one of them. There is no reason why we shouldn't have been able to land a single top notch player at one of these key positions when there were really good players available. The Patriots are spending money like they are one player away from going to a Superbowl and have the most money in free agency, despite having no QB to speak of. Meanwhile, if I didn't know any better, it appears like we are up against the cap and have no QB in place, based on what we have done. I'm truly baffled! This is about as disappointed as I've been in this team in a long time. We had a chance to make a quick turnaround with a couple really good free agent additions and a really draft draft. The first part of that is not gonna happen. I'm all for building via the draft. That has always been my philosophy, but when you have a team who was 1-15 and completely devoid of talent in many areas, you have to be able to add a few really good players in free agency at areas where the draft may have weaker classes. That's not gonna happen now.

I doubt I even watch any more free agent moves. It just depresses me seeing other teams get better and us stuck in the same "muck" we've been in for 20 years. At this point, if I were Trevor Lawrence, I'd be reconsidering whether I want to come to Jacksonville. Apparently, they have no interest protecting me, giving me a key weapon (TE) or building the defense, so I don't have to throw 60 times a game.

(03-16-2021, 10:39 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I know the thread says day 1 grades, but I am just going to wait to see. Trent Williams would be an auto A+ from me for FA. I do however think it's insane that on DAY ONE of FA they target a soon to be 31 y/o RB when we have 11 picks (I think? Can't keep up) in this upcoming draft, especially coming off the recent success of undrafted star J ROB. I mean you couldn't give them a better example of why you should draft RB's, not sign them from FA. It is only 3M, but you have to question the thought process on that one. I know it's Urban's boy, but holy that is BAD...

We're not getting Williams. We're not even in the bidding war for him. I've been reading up on the situation and it's between the Niners, Chiefs and Bears to land him. The Jaguars are not even in the conversation.