Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free agency Day 1 grades

(03-16-2021, 10:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Hunter Henry is now a Patriot. This free agency is an unmitigated disaster. We get no top Safety, no premier TE and no OT help. All the top guys at those positions are now gone or we are not even being discussed as a contender for their services (Williams and Reiff.) This logically points me to one of three options

1. Shad Khan instructed the front office not to spend a lot of money.
2. Free agents just don't want to come here due to the past drama with players wanting out or the complete inexperience of the head coach.
3. Our front office and head coach are completely incompetent.

I truly don't know which one it is, but it has to be one of them. There is no reason why we shouldn't have been able to land a single top notch player at one of these key positions when there were really good players available. The Patriots are spending money like they are one player away from going to a Superbowl and have the most money in free agency, despite having no QB to speak of. Meanwhile, if I didn't know any better, it appears like we are up against the cap and have no QB in place, based on what we have done. I'm truly baffled! This is about as disappointed as I've been in this team in a long time. We had a chance to make a quick turnaround with a couple really good free agent additions and a really draft draft. The first part of that is not gonna happen. I'm all for building via the draft. That has always been my philosophy, but when you have a team who was 1-15 and completely devoid of talent in many areas, you have to be able to add a few really good players in free agency at areas where the draft may have weaker classes. That's not gonna happen now.

I doubt I even watch any more free agent moves. It just depresses me seeing other teams get better and us stuck in the same "muck" we've been in for 20 years. At this point, if I were Trevor Lawrence, I'd be reconsidering whether I want to come to Jacksonville. Apparently, they have no interest protecting me, giving me a key weapon (TE) or building the defense, so I don't have to throw 60 times a game.

No help whatsoever for our rookie QB who I thought we wanted to succeed... oh wait I forgot we signed Hyde and Dorsett  Laughing Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-16-2021, 12:48 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: When was the last big name/price FA signing that really to worked out for us? Calais? Before and after him I’m having a hard time recalling anyone that panned out. In the last decade I’m meaning.

Our 2017 team that went to the AFC Championship Game included Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye, Malik Jackson, Paul Posluszny, Tashaun Gipson and Barry Church who were all significant free agent signings and that's just on defense.  What do you think our record would have been if we had signed special teamers and backups instead of that group?

Obviously, draft is the primary key to long term success.  However, I hate this myth that by not signing free agents that your team will magically draft better.

(03-16-2021, 11:02 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 10:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Hunter Henry is now a Patriot. This free agency is an unmitigated disaster. We get no top Safety, no premier TE and no OT help. All the top guys at those positions are now gone or we are not even being discussed as a contender for their services (Williams and Reiff.) This logically points me to one of three options

1. Shad Khan instructed the front office not to spend a lot of money.
2. Free agents just don't want to come here due to the past drama with players wanting out or the complete inexperience of the head coach.
3. Our front office and head coach are completely incompetent.

I truly don't know which one it is, but it has to be one of them. There is no reason why we shouldn't have been able to land a single top notch player at one of these key positions when there were really good players available. The Patriots are spending money like they are one player away from going to a Superbowl and have the most money in free agency, despite having no QB to speak of. Meanwhile, if I didn't know any better, it appears like we are up against the cap and have no QB in place, based on what we have done. I'm truly baffled! This is about as disappointed as I've been in this team in a long time. We had a chance to make a quick turnaround with a couple really good free agent additions and a really draft draft. The first part of that is not gonna happen. I'm all for building via the draft. That has always been my philosophy, but when you have a team who was 1-15 and completely devoid of talent in many areas, you have to be able to add a few really good players in free agency at areas where the draft may have weaker classes. That's not gonna happen now.

I doubt I even watch any more free agent moves. It just depresses me seeing other teams get better and us stuck in the same "muck" we've been in for 20 years. At this point, if I were Trevor Lawrence, I'd be reconsidering whether I want to come to Jacksonville. Apparently, they have no interest protecting me, giving me a key weapon (TE) or building the defense, so I don't have to throw 60 times a game.

No help whatsoever for our rookie QB who I thought we wanted to succeed... oh wait I forgot we signed Hyde and Dorsett  Laughing Laughing
Hyde was picked up to give our starter a breather, Dorsett to take the top off defense with speed, Jamal was to provide a returner if Dede and kohl leave,  we picked up a couple special teasers and a safety and still have cap room for today.  What is not to like, increased our depth and there are still high end free agents available.

We got our tight end: mohertz. Dont laugh guys lol

(03-16-2021, 12:48 AM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: When was the last big name/price FA signing that really to worked out for us? Calais? Before and after him I’m having a hard time recalling anyone that panned out. In the last decade I’m meaning.

Calais, Bouye, Malik Jackson, Norwell

oh. my. god.

I am 100% serious, is it too late to fire Meyer and Baalke and start over? We have the best franchise QB prospect in a decade fall into our laps and our future still feels so miserable.

(03-16-2021, 11:30 AM)Upper Wrote: oh. my. god.

I am 100% serious, is it too late to fire Meyer and Baalke and start over? We have the best franchise QB prospect in a decade fall into our laps and our future still feels so miserable.

Feel like I said this when we hired Urban.

(03-16-2021, 11:26 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 11:02 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: No help whatsoever for our rookie QB who I thought we wanted to succeed... oh wait I forgot we signed Hyde and Dorsett  Laughing Laughing
Hyde was picked up to give our starter a breather, Dorsett to take the top off defense with speed, Jamal was to provide a returner if Dede and kohl leave,  we picked up a couple special teasers and a safety and still have cap room for today.  What is not to like, increased our depth and there are still high end free agents available.

Are you serious? Hyde has nothing left in the tank and shouldn't make it passed final cuts. Dorsett is always injured and wasn't even effective when he had Andrew Luck and Tom Brady throwing him the ball. We added good special teams players. Am I supposed to be overjoyed with that? We were 1-15. What about OT, TE, Safety, CB, LB and pass rusher? Those were areas we need to focus on. We got nothing.

Can it get worse I think so haha
No Fun

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 11:37 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-16-2021, 11:27 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: We got our tight end: mohertz. Dont laugh guys lol

I really thought I was a fairly knowledgeable NFL fan when it comes to knowing the majority of the guys on other teams rosters, but I have to look up the names of the majority of players we've been adding. That is not good. Some of these guys are like 3rd stringers on their old team.

(03-16-2021, 11:35 AM)nhiverson Wrote: Can it get worse I think so haha

Hardly.

You cats need to chill out. We’ve recently won off-seasons before, and we just dropped a 1-15 record (only four years after our only winning season in a decade).
You're Welcome.

(03-16-2021, 11:26 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 11:02 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: No help whatsoever for our rookie QB who I thought we wanted to succeed... oh wait I forgot we signed Hyde and Dorsett  Laughing Laughing
Let me know the last time Dorsett took the top off the defense.... Hes doo doo.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 12:08 PM by irontrooper83.)

At least there's someone who enjoyed it:

"I'm more encouraged by this staff after Monday than before it." -John Oesher talking about Baalke and Meyer-

We can only laugh about it at this point lol

(03-16-2021, 12:07 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: At least there's someone who enjoyed it:

"I'm more encouraged by this staff after Monday than before it." -John Oesher talking about Baalke and Meyer-

Oesher is such a butt kissing, sellout that he just parrots anything the team wants him to say. It's sad.

(03-15-2021, 11:47 PM)Dimson Wrote: There is plenty of time left.

To watch it come and go?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

They have been preaching about value and looking for value, but is it really value to sign players that have not contributed much to their former teams? I would hope that these depth signings were announced because they were quick and easy deals to get done while still in talks for players who can and will be impact players...These sound like Gene Smith signings

Day 1 FA grade is a D from me. Baalke got caught unprepared for the task at hand. I hope that he does better in the draft because this is utterly unacceptable.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(03-16-2021, 12:07 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote: At least there's someone who enjoyed it:

Never forget that John Oesher is on the payroll of the Jaguars organization.  He gives their talking points.  He does not give his real opinion.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 12:49 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

Copied the tweet wrong. It was more sad than funny anyway.

(03-16-2021, 12:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Oesher is such a butt kissing, sellout that he just parrots anything the team wants him to say. It's sad.

Oesher is an idiot.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]