Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Alualu back with Jags

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...h-jaguars/

Champion-[BLEEP]ing-ship

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Don't get too excited. We're just retiring his number.

* Side note: Gene Smith's best pick ever came with a side of controversy
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Have to say he played great in Pittsburgh.

He just sold his house in PV recently. Oops
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(03-16-2021, 03:10 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: He just sold his house in PV recently. Oops

Well if he waits for the 4th quarter housing crash?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 03:55 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Alualu is good. He has always been solid. It isn't his fault Gene Smith took him 10th overall.

I still remember where I was when this happened. Whiskey River at Town Center, front U-shaped booth, 2nd seat from the right side. I remember being really excited for this draft when when the pick came, I was still brainwashed because Gene got a steal out of Terrance Knighton and figured this dude was smarter than everybody in the room. I remember everyone in the restaurant looking at each other asking who in the hell this guy was.

Just a refresher, some names picked after him in the 1st:

Earl Thomas
JPP
Pouncey
Dez Bryant
Devin McCourty

(03-16-2021, 03:50 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Alualu is good. He has always been good. It isn't his fault Gene Smith took him 10th overall.

He was drafted to the wrong defense. If he was drafted by the Steelers, he would have been an all pro NT.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

That was the year Gene drafted like 6 DT’s

Welcome back Alualu. Now if you can get your old # back, I still have your jersey.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(03-16-2021, 03:50 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Alualu is good. He has always been solid. It isn't his fault Gene Smith took him 10th overall.

I still remember where I was when this happened. Whiskey River at Town Center, front U-shaped booth, 2nd seat from the right side. I remember being really excited for this draft when when the pick came, I was still brainwashed because Gene got a steal out of Terrance Knighton and figured this dude was smarter than everybody in the room. I remember everyone in the restaurant looking at each other asking who in the hell this guy was.

Just a refresher, some names picked after him in the 1st:

Earl Thomas
JPP
Pouncey
Dez Bryant
Devin McCourty

Miller's Ale House on Beach & Hodges and it was packed..  High-top, table, there were six of us.  Buckets of beers on the table and I had just finished a prime rib.  The pick came in and the place got quiet.  Goodell stepped up to the mic and you could hear a pin drop.  Shocked silence for a second, than two hundred voices, simultaneously asking "Who"?

He was solid, just not a first round talent.  Mid 2nd-early 3rd would have been a decent value.  He was probably as surprised as the rest of us.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 08:36 AM by NCJag.)

I wonder if he tries to BIG BOY/get #93 back? It's currently OCCUPIED by Daniel Ross. Quick NFL.com search shows he's a 4 year vet, played FIVE games for us in 2020 and had 7 total tackles.

Gotta imagine Tyson comes in and says, "Come off the number kid..."

Then again. Ross IS a DT. With Brown, Alualu, Jihad Ward, and Robertson-Harris....this Ross guy is probably GONE.

* He wore #94 in Pittsburgh. Duwaune Smoot wears that number. #44 in College (MYLES JACK WASN'T DOWN!)

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

The Alualu draft was the same year Tebow came out so there was still some thought we may select Tebow. I was at Table One in PVB and the reaction was a double whammy of depression --- Gator fans pissed we didn't take Tebow and all other fans saying [BLEEP] who the hell is he.

Ahhhh....the 2010 Draft. The one we got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING out of.

1st Round. Tyson: 7 years with the team
2nd Round. D'Anthony Smith: 2 years on IR. 3 years with team. 16 total tackles in career. 11 w/Jaguars (won SB Ring w/Seahawks)
5th Round. Larry Hart: "Designated Pass Rusher". 8 total tackles. 1.5 career sacks. 1 year on team.
5th Round. Austen Lane: 3 years on team. 66 career tackles, 3 career sacks. Great podcaster though
6th Round. Deji Karim: 2 years on team. 290 rushing yards. 17 receptions/130 yards. 1900 kick return yards (25 per return)......and 4 fumbles. ONE return TD (when he played for Indy).
6th Round. Scotty McGee: 1 year on team.NO STATS AVAILABLE

This was our 2010 Draft Haul....and it is absolutely tragic.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

I did feel the Pittsburgh D was less effective when he was hurt last year.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 10:10 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-17-2021, 09:59 AM)Jag149 Wrote: I did feel the Pittsburgh D was less effective when he was hurt last year.

LOL - Alualu was only out 1.5 games last season ...  the Pittsburgh defense was totally less effective when 2 of their best 4 defenders got hurt ...

1) Devin Bush (then Devin Bush's backup got hurt and was out for the year as well)
2) Bud Dupree

Alualu benefitted big time by having top defenders like TJ Watt, Devin Bush, Bud Dupree, and Minkah Fitzpatrick on his side.

(03-17-2021, 10:09 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 09:59 AM)Jag149 Wrote: I did feel the Pittsburgh D was less effective when he was hurt last year.

LOL - Alualu was only out 1.5 games last season ...  the Pittsburgh defense was totally less effective when 2 of their best 4 defenders got hurt ...

1) Devin Bush (then Devin Bush's backup got hurt and was out for the year as well)
2) Bud Dupree

Alualu benefitted big time by having top defenders like TJ Watt, Devin Bush, Bud Dupree, and Minkah Fitzpatrick on his side.

That's true that he benefitted of a good scheme and talent situation over there, still you have to do it yourself.

Taven Bryan was surrounded by Calais Campbell, Dareus, Ngakoue, Josh Alllen, Ramsey and all the gang and couldn't even locate the football lol

I think this is a sneaky great signing. Very affordable, gets someone who is well versed in the 3-4, and will probably be an asset for the coaches early on. Some of the guys will need time to learn or relearn the scheme, while someone like Alualu will be on the field modeling what the coaches want to see. The younger guys will likely catch up and eventually push him to the bench, and if that happens, it's a good problem to have.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 11:25 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-17-2021, 11:13 AM)Mikey Wrote: I think this is a sneaky great signing. Very affordable, gets someone who is well versed in the 3-4, and will probably be an asset for the coaches early on. Some of the guys will need time to learn or relearn the scheme, while someone like Alualu will be on the field modeling what the coaches want to see. The younger guys will likely catch up and eventually push him to the bench, and if that happens, it's a good problem to have.

I would have rather had TJ Watt --- is that really asking too much?  They need a RB ... we could have traded Carlos Hyde for him or something.

I would never associate Alualu as a "great" signing.

Drafting for 3-4 takes years where you have to commit to it. This is the start of a process.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(03-17-2021, 11:21 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 11:13 AM)Mikey Wrote: I think this is a sneaky great signing. Very affordable, gets someone who is well versed in the 3-4, and will probably be an asset for the coaches early on. Some of the guys will need time to learn or relearn the scheme, while someone like Alualu will be on the field modeling what the coaches want to see. The younger guys will likely catch up and eventually push him to the bench, and if that happens, it's a good problem to have.

I would have rather had TJ Watt --- is that really asking too much?  They need a RB ... we could have traded Carlos Hyde for him or something.

I would never associate Alualu as a "great" signing.

I get what he's saying though. A player doesn't have to be a great player to be a great signing. It's a very good fit potentially. Assuming he still has enough left in the tank to start most of the year anyway.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.