Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Day 2 Thoughts

Some impressions from the first day and a half of the free agency tampering period.

1.  For years, people clamored for a 3-4 defense, and for years I cautioned such a transition would not be simple.  You have to get players to fit the scheme, and that could be somewhat painful.  There are many here who have been underwhelmed with the free agency class thus far.  Part of the reason are the signings of Ward, Alualu, and the guy from Chicago.  Welp, those are going to be the sorts of signings that will accompany a switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4.  In a scheme where your linemen are only expected to occupy blocks and not really do anything, those are the kind of players you go after.  I certainly don't consider any of these guys dominators.  

2.  I think there are abut four categories of the free agents we've signed thus far.   Those that are good, those that are decent to tolerable, those I hate, and those we could still stand to make.  The good signings are the Norwell pay cut/restructuring, the Griffin and the Jenkins signing, re-signing Sidney Jones and Tyler Shatley.  Now the good designation is relative because in three instances-Norwell, Shatley and Jones-all the team did was maintain the status quo in terms of keeping guys who were on last year's roster.  We'll probably get a couple of starters between Jenkins and Griffin, but that is tempered by Jenkins starting with the Bolts largely because Derwin James has been injured much of the past two seasons.

3.  Decent signings include Robertson-Harris, Ward, and Alualu.  See #1 above. 

4.  Those I hate?  Phillip Dorsett and Carlos Hyde.  Dorsett has bombed everywhere he's been.  For all of his speed, it rarely, if ever translated into big plays or even consistency in previous stints with Brady and Andrew Luck throwing him the ball.  You might get some decent carries out of Hyde, but you could get decent carries out of any number of younger, less expensive alternatives.  I am tempted to throw Alualu in this category.  The only reason he was decent in Pittsburgh is because he had a ton of surrounding talent.  I think here he becomes a liability without the same surrounding cast.

5.  Losing Tomlinson, Jonnu Smith and Henry (if we even offered any of these guys deals) was unfortunate.  But as of this posting there are still guys out there unsigned who could still really help this team.  Adding another WR would help Trevor Lawrence, and I think the money given to Dorsett could have been offered to Samuel.  Though it is unlikely, it seems Trent Williams and Riley Reiff are still available.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 05:07 PM by CanDoBetter.)

You're making some good points.

1. Completely agree here. People have wanted 3-4 for a long time but it's as if they didn't really understand what it meant. Just that it somehow was better than Todd Wash's 4-3. Even funnier is that it's as if they don't understand that we'll be in nickel and dime most of the time. A lot of times that means a 4-man front even for 3-4 teams.
2-3. Agreed.
4. I don't fully agree. I don't mind signing Hyde even though he bombed last time. If he's been good elsewhere and coaches trust him I'm fine with him being a backup or a camp body. Dorsett on the other hand is garbage. Wasted money.
5. We won't get everyone we want. Often we have no way of knowing if it's because we didn't want them or someone else wanted them more. Or even that the player himself declined coming to Jacksonville.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 05:18 PM by Bullseye.)

Nice additions of Marvin Jones and Malcolm Brown, though I don't know what the compensation is.

(03-16-2021, 05:06 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: 5. We won't get everyone we want. Often we have no way of knowing if it's because we didn't want them or someone else wanted them more. Or even that the player himself declined coming to Jacksonville.
Absolutely right.

Still, you'd like to think we could have gotten more top tier free agents.

Marvin Jones was a good get.

I think all valid points. I think we missed on Smith or Henry. It’s a process and I don’t think we should be going crazy over the lack of superstars!!

(03-16-2021, 05:22 PM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: I think all valid points. I think we missed on Smith or Henry. It’s a process and I don’t think we should be going crazy over the lack of superstars!!

I don't know if "superstars" were required by the fan base, or for that matter even available via free agency.

Solid starters were the demand...and I think with the additions of Marvin Jones, Malcolm Brown and Griffin...the fans are a bit more relieved.

I don't think ANYONE expected ALL of our holes would be filled/upgraded in free agency.

(03-16-2021, 05:26 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 05:22 PM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: I think all valid points. I think we missed on Smith or Henry. It’s a process and I don’t think we should be going crazy over the lack of superstars!!

I don't know if "superstars" were required by the fan base, or for that matter even available via free agency.

Solid starters were the demand...and I think with the additions of Marvin Jones, Malcolm Brown and Griffin...the fans are a bit more relieved.

I don't think ANYONE expected ALL of our holes would be filled/upgraded in free agency.

I agree, better way of putting it. I think so far this allows us to go BAP in the draft for the most part.

(03-16-2021, 05:33 PM)BristolianJaguar Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 05:26 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't know if "superstars" were required by the fan base, or for that matter even available via free agency.

I agree, better way of putting it. I think so far this allows us to go BAP in the draft for the most part.

I think it helps to some degree.

To me, T and TE are still gaping holes which could force some picks if Meyer and Baalke aren't careful.

Our run defense got better. That's all I have.

(03-16-2021, 05:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Our run defense got better. That's all I have.

We needed to get 3-4 defensive linemen, and that's what we got. 

Our run defense SHOULD be better as a result, though I still wouldn't object to a big NT.

I like the Marvin Jones signing, and the guys on NFL Network really liked it.

Yea T and TE definitely still need addressing. And if I am not mistaken some depth at OLB.

(03-16-2021, 05:59 PM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: Yea T and TE definitely still need addressing. And if I am not mistaken some depth at OLB.

To me you are spot on.

LB depth-not just OLB-should be at a premium.  A couple of LBs-especially in the mid to late rounds-would not only NOT be a shock, but should be expected.

I would love Monty Rice here in the 4th or 5th.

Yeah, still on the lookout for tackle and tight end signings.

TE you could sort of lean toward the draft a bit I guess, but tackle I'd be hesitant to count on landing one that would beat out Cam or Taylor early on.

(03-16-2021, 06:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah, still on the lookout for tackle and tight end signings.

TE you could sort of lean toward the draft a bit I guess, but tackle I'd be hesitant to count on landing one that would beat out Cam or Taylor early on.

I think "rebuilding the TE room" will involve adding one vet (not the guy we signed earlier) and one rookie.

I'm still not sure what to make of T.

Meyer said the LT class was not well stocked, but that leaves a lot of questions.

1.  Was he talking about the LTs in free agency only, or did that include those in the draft as well?

2.  If he was just referring to free agency, that statement came out before Riley Reiff was released.  Did Reiff's release change the analysis for him?

3.  If he was also referring to the rookie class of LTs, does he not think any of them will be able to help, or none of them within reasonable drafting range?  If he feels he would have to move up to acquire one of the left tackles, how far would he be willing to move up, and how much would he be willing to give to move up?

4.  Does his dislike of the LT class also include a dislike of the RT class?

I take it that Chaisson and Allen will be outside lb's?
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(03-16-2021, 06:28 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I take it that Chaisson and Allen will be outside lb's?

Those are my thoughts, unless somehow the team takes a guy like Zaven Collins or Aziz Ojularu at 25.

Day 1 looked like a hole filler..

Day 2 looks like standouts..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Day 2 went well, how a day 2 of free agency should go. If day 1 had gone as it should instead of being an utter disaster this would be a heck of an FA period.

I am pretty happy with what we could present as a 3-4 DL now. Doesn't have the real marque star, but lots of solid players to rotate.

Our secondary is still going to be pretty rough I think, and we really needed to add one of the really good EDGEs.

I like Marvin Jones and pointed out several times that I would like to get him, but our offense needed to add a heck of a lot more than just him. If he was the third guy we added to the offense after a good OL and TE then I'd be real happy.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/# still got 49 million remaining.

Andrew Norwell G $12,000,000 $3,000,000 - - - - - ($6,000,000) $15,000,000 7.18
Cam Robinson LT $13,754,000 - - - - - - ($13,754,000) $13,754,000 6.58
Myles Jack ILB $9,500,000 $2,400,000 - - $250,000 - - ($14,200,000) $12,150,000 5.81
Joe Schobert ILB $7,000,000 $2,400,000 $300,000 - $200,000 - - ($16,600,000) $9,900,000 4.74
Brandon Linder C $8,000,000 - $562,500 - - - - - $8,562,500 4.10
A.J. Cann G $4,675,000 $1,333,334 $234,375 - $50,000 - - ($1,333,334) $6,292,709 3.01
Josh Allen DE $2,562,513 $3,640,025 - - - - - ($7,280,050) $6,202,538 2.97
Shaquill Griffin CB $1,000,000 $4,000,000 $375,000 - $500,000 - - ($24,500,000) $5,875,000 2.81

Updated top paid in terms of cap hit.

(03-16-2021, 05:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 05:33 PM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: I agree, better way of putting it. I think so far this allows us to go BAP in the draft for the most part.

I think it helps to some degree.

To me, T and TE are still gaping holes which could force some picks if Meyer and Baalke aren't careful.

I love you guys here and were all one big jaguar family. But our tackles are far from the worst spot on our team. Like iv said countless times, we had qbs holding the ball like they were running backs if cam and taylor remain starting you will have a different opinion by years end provided t law is as good as advertised. Aj cann was the only real pile of trash on our oline.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 08:43 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-16-2021, 08:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 05:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I think it helps to some degree.

I love you guys here and were all one big jaguar family. But our tackles are far from the worst spot on our team. Like iv said countless times, we had qbs holding the ball like they were running backs if cam and taylor remain starting you will have a different opinion by years end provided t law is as good as advertised. Aj cann was the only real pile of trash on our oline.

You are so delusional. We have one of the worst OT tandems in the league. The stats and grades prove it. You can't dispel facts.