Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Day 2 Thoughts

(03-16-2021, 08:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 05:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I think it helps to some degree.

To me, T and TE are still gaping holes which could force some picks if Meyer and Baalke aren't careful.

I love you guys here and were all one big jaguar family. But our tackles are far from the worst spot on our team. Like iv said countless times, we had qbs holding the ball like they were running backs if cam and taylor remain starting you will have a different opinion by years end provided t law is as good as advertised. Aj cann was the only real pile of trash on our oline.

I'll say as a rookie Cam Robinson had a very good year, as did the OL overall.  But since then, he has been inconsistent at best, and that opinion has been shared by Lageman, Boselli and Searcy.  I would certainly defer to those guys in any discussion about OL play.

Now there  are things outside of Cam Robinson and Jawaan Taylor that can help improve their play, including quicker decisions by QBs, more reasonable down/distance situations, playcalls calling for quicker progressions, receivers getting earlier separation, etc.

But until Trevor Lawrence becomes truly proficient in reading defenses (pre and post snap) and has confidence in his receivers to make faster decisions, and until the team is competitive enough to keep the scores close, we have to get better tackle play.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

5 wins unless Trevor has a better rookie year than Herbert.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(03-16-2021, 08:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 08:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I love you guys here and were all one big jaguar family. But our tackles are far from the worst spot on our team. Like iv said countless times, we had qbs holding the ball like they were running backs if cam and taylor remain starting you will have a different opinion by years end provided t law is as good as advertised. Aj cann was the only real pile of trash on our oline.

You are so delusional. We have one of the worst OT tandems in the league. The stats and grades prove it. You can't dispel facts.

I know you have never been a fan of Cam's.  We've been debating him since he got into the league.

My question to you involves his first year.  He didn't give up many sacks.  In fact, the O-line as a whole didn't give up many sacks.

To what do you attribute Cam's performance that year?

Even if you don't think he was that good that year, certainly you admit he was better that year than in subsequent seasons.

Why is that?

Is it possible Cam under Flaherty was a better player than Cam under Warhop, even with the lack of experience?

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 09:59 PM by surfon.)

I believe the front office has really done some research on the players and type of players they want to bring into their fold. The big hits in free agency have left us happy and then sad a few times in the past. Until this staff proves they are a horses behind i will withold my judgements. Imo we have gotten better.

I like Jones and Brown over what we had at those positions last year. Griffin and Jenkins are better than what we had at those positions also maybe by a slightly smaller amount. Sometimes a splash is just something that gets you wet.

There are still probably a few well thought out additions still made.

Maybe there is still a different plan in place for the oline. The future holds promise lets settle into this line of thinking. One thing I can say is its easy to go out and just throw money around willy nilly at least I do not see panic in these selections. It is a process.

To be fair, we really don't know what is going on behind the scenes. The Jags could of offered more cash to some of these guys and they simply did not want to come here due to the bad pr the last few years. Day 2 was a much improved day.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(03-16-2021, 09:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 08:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You are so delusional. We have one of the worst OT tandems in the league. The stats and grades prove it. You can't dispel facts.

I know you have never been a fan of Cam's.  We've been debating him since he got into the league.

My question to you involves his first year.  He didn't give up many sacks.  In fact, the O-line as a whole didn't give up many sacks.

Even if you don't think he was that good that year, certainly you admit he was better that year than in subsequent seasons.

Why is that?

Is it possible Cam under Flaherty was a better player than Cam under Warhop, even with the lack of experience?

I honestly have no clue, but consistency is one of the main factors I use in evaluating players. Cam is the picture of inconsistency and Taylor is consistently bad. Coaching could be a major issue, but my biggest issue with them is that they are slow-footed and get out of their stances way too late. As I've said on many occasions though, Warhop is the worst O-Line coach in the NFL and has failed to develop a young OT in eons. Unfortunately Warhop seems to be a favorite of Meyer though, so if the problem is coaching, it won't get fixed.

(03-16-2021, 10:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 09:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I know you have never been a fan of Cam's.  We've been debating him since he got into the league.

Why is that?

I honestly have no clue, but consistency is one of the main factors I use in evaluating players. Cam is the picture of inconsistency and Taylor is consistently bad. Coaching could be a major issue, but my biggest issue with them is that they are slow-footed and get out of their stances way too late. As I've said on many occasions though, Warhop is the worst O-Line coach in the NFL and has failed to develop a young OT in eons. Unfortunately Warhop seems to be a favorite of Meyer though, so if the problem is coaching, it won't get fixed.

But if he were slow footed, wouldn't he have been slow footed his rookie year? 

If so, and he performed acceptably his rookie year, then doesn't it suggest whatever problems he has are fixable?

If not, doesn't it suggest that injury and/or coaching change may have had a negative effect on his foot speed/quickness?

Cam wasn't good as a rookie either. Stop the revisionist history please.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 10:35 PM by TheDuke007.)

(03-16-2021, 05:59 PM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: Yea T and TE definitely still need addressing. And if I am not mistaken some depth at OLB.

I definitely think we need offensive tackle, but I question if Meyer/Baalke do.  I can usually tell if it's coach speak and Meyer's interview did not sound like it to me.  I think he likes, or at least feels ok, at the position. Retaining the offensive line coach also speaks volumes.

TE is clearly a huge need.  I suspect that they still find another veteran in free agency or via trade.  

I consider free safety to be a big need too.  I think Jarrod Wilson is ok as a backup, but isn't starting material.  I believe Rayshawn Jenkins will play strong safety. 

For depth, we clearly need a speedy running back and multiple outside linebackers and probably at least one inside linebacker as well.

I also wonder whether it might be smart to be proactive at left guard.  Norwell is in the final year of his contract.  Interior offensive linemen often drop in the draft.  If value is there, it might may make long term sense to select one in the mid rounds to serve as a backup in 2021 and if he does well, take over as starter in 2022.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 10:44 PM by TheDuke007.)

(03-16-2021, 04:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Some impressions from the first day and a half of the free agency tampering period.

1.  For years, people clamored for a 3-4 defense, and for years I cautioned such a transition would not be simple.  You have to get players to fit the scheme, and that could be somewhat painful.  There are many here who have been underwhelmed with the free agency class thus far.  Part of the reason are the signings of Ward, Alualu, and the guy from Chicago.  Welp, those are going to be the sorts of signings that will accompany a switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4.  In a scheme where your linemen are only expected to occupy blocks and not really do anything, those are the kind of players you go after.  I certainly don't consider any of these guys dominators.  

I supported the switch to the 3-4.  K'Lavon Chaisson was completely wasted in a 4-3.  I think he should be good and possibly a star in the 3-4.  Josh Allen also seems like a great fit for the 3-4.  As far as the defensive line, yes, it required new signings.  However, our defensive line with a couple of exceptions was largely terrible last year.  We were going to need multiple new signings had we remained in the 4-3 anyway if we wanted to be any good.  If anything, I think 3-4 defensive linemen are cheaper and easier to find.

(03-16-2021, 08:44 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 08:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I love you guys here and were all one big jaguar family. But our tackles are far from the worst spot on our team. Like iv said countless times, we had qbs holding the ball like they were running backs if cam and taylor remain starting you will have a different opinion by years end provided t law is as good as advertised. Aj cann was the only real pile of trash on our oline.

I'll say as a rookie Cam Robinson had a very good year, as did the OL overall.  But since then, he has been inconsistent at best, and that opinion has been shared by Lageman, Boselli and Searcy.  I would certainly defer to those guys in any discussion about OL play.

Now there  are things outside of Cam Robinson and Jawaan Taylor that can help improve their play, including quicker decisions by QBs, more reasonable down/distance situations, playcalls calling for quicker progressions, receivers getting earlier separation, etc.

But until Trevor Lawrence becomes truly proficient in reading defenses (pre and post snap) and has confidence in his receivers to make faster decisions, and until the team is competitive enough to keep the scores close, we have to get better tackle play.

Dont get me wrong, they could definitely be replaced with better players like Trent Williams.. but i believe they are good enough to start. I feel like some people on here are taking it way out of purportion.

(03-16-2021, 10:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 09:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I know you have never been a fan of Cam's.  We've been debating him since he got into the league.

Why is that?

The crux of his argument
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-17-2021, 12:56 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 10:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I honestly have no clue, but consistency is one of the main factors I use in evaluating players. Cam is the picture of inconsistency and Taylor is consistently bad. Coaching could be a major issue, but my biggest issue with them is that they are slow-footed and get out of their stances way too late. As I've said on many occasions though, Warhop is the worst O-Line coach in the NFL and has failed to develop a young OT in eons. Unfortunately Warhop seems to be a favorite of Meyer though, so if the problem is coaching, it won't get fixed.

The crux of his argument

I can see why you have a 26 reputation rating in over 2500 posts. LOL.

(03-16-2021, 10:42 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 04:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Some impressions from the first day and a half of the free agency tampering period.

1.  For years, people clamored for a 3-4 defense, and for years I cautioned such a transition would not be simple.  You have to get players to fit the scheme, and that could be somewhat painful.  There are many here who have been underwhelmed with the free agency class thus far.  Part of the reason are the signings of Ward, Alualu, and the guy from Chicago.  Welp, those are going to be the sorts of signings that will accompany a switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4.  In a scheme where your linemen are only expected to occupy blocks and not really do anything, those are the kind of players you go after.  I certainly don't consider any of these guys dominators.  

I supported the switch to the 3-4.  K'Lavon Chaisson was completely wasted in a 4-3.  I think he should be good and possibly a star in the 3-4.  Josh Allen also seems like a great fit for the 3-4.  As far as the defensive line, yes, it required new signings.  However, our defensive line with a couple of exceptions was largely terrible last year.  We were going to need multiple new signings had we remained in the 4-3 anyway if we wanted to be any good.  If anything, I think 3-4 defensive linemen are cheaper and easier to find.
People have been clamoring for the 3-4 long before Chaisson got here. 

Chaisson IS wasted in a 4-3, and TBH, I don't think he'll be any great shakes in a 3-4 either.

I don't know if 3-4 DL are any cheaper than 4-3 DL. 

To the extent they aren't expected to be playmakers, you are right.''But to the extent a DL is dominant, you will pay premium dollar for a dominant DL, whether in a 4-3 or 3-4.

(03-17-2021, 08:46 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 10:42 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I supported the switch to the 3-4.  K'Lavon Chaisson was completely wasted in a 4-3.  I think he should be good and possibly a star in the 3-4.  Josh Allen also seems like a great fit for the 3-4.  As far as the defensive line, yes, it required new signings.  However, our defensive line with a couple of exceptions was largely terrible last year.  We were going to need multiple new signings had we remained in the 4-3 anyway if we wanted to be any good.  If anything, I think 3-4 defensive linemen are cheaper and easier to find.
People have been clamoring for the 3-4 long before Chaisson got here. 

Chaisson IS wasted in a 4-3, and TBH, I don't think he'll be any great shakes in a 3-4 either.

I don't know if 3-4 DL are any cheaper than 4-3 DL. 

To the extent they aren't expected to be playmakers, you are right.''But to the extent a DL is dominant, you will pay premium dollar for a dominant DL, whether in a 4-3 or 3-4.

Exactly, my thoughts. He didn't fit our old scheme at all and it showed. Hopefully, he is better in a 3-4 defense, but he never really impressed me at LSU when playing OLB, so my expectations are tempered.

Star defensive lineman are still stars and they will all command top dollar, no matter the scheme.

(03-16-2021, 10:27 PM)Upper Wrote: Cam wasn't good as a rookie either. Stop the revisionist history please.

No revisionist history here.

Cam had a sprained ankle mid season his rookie year, and he had a bad 2-3 game stretch (starting with Cleveland, as I recall.

(03-17-2021, 01:05 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 12:56 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: The crux of his argument

I can see why you have a 26 reputation rating in over 2500 posts. LOL.

Make sure you note your reputation on your resume. I'm sure you'll get the call
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-17-2021, 09:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 10:27 PM)Upper Wrote: Cam wasn't good as a rookie either. Stop the revisionist history please.

No revisionist history here.

Cam had a sprained ankle mid season his rookie year, and he had a bad 2-3 game stretch (starting with Cleveland, as I recall.

He gave up the most pressures in the league, was 5th worst in penalties, and graded poorly in run blocking too. Don't let 2 sacks allowed fool you he was consistently giving up pressures and penalties all season long.

Total pressures surrendered: 151
Best player: Brandon Linder
Combinations used: 14

Jacksonville’s offensive line had a lot of success in run-blocking as the 1.95 yards Jaguars running backs averaged before contact ranked second in the NFL last season. The unit was anchored by Brandon Linder, who has established himself as one of the best centers in the league over the past couple of seasons as he did not allow a single sack all year. Right tackle Jermey Parnell has been consistently solid for a couple seasons as well and similarly to Linder, did not allow a single sack all season. On the other side, however, rookie left tackle Cam Robinson went through some growing pains in his first season in the NFL as he played 13 games in the regular season and was called for 12 penalties in these games while he allowed at least three total pressures in 10 games, including the playoffs.

(03-16-2021, 08:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

You are so delusional. We have one of the worst OT tandems in the league. The stats and grades prove it. You can't dispel facts.

I really think fans are delusional about how bad the tackles are. Especially when it comes to Cam Robinson.

When Minshew wasn't in the lineup, especially in the Glennon games, I believe the OL allowed very few sacks. That's because a QB with the right stuff won't run into sacks and can throw the ball to a target before being pressured. BCC broke down the sacks and well over half of them were on Minshew, iirc. So the "stats" don't really tell the whole story.

This isn't to say our OL can't be improved. Taylor has been unimpressive for sure in most spots. And it seems we still haven't really figured out RG. Norwell and Linder actually played well last season. Cam has been tagged, so basically on a prove it deal and doesn't prevent us from drafting a solid LT still.

The other thing that I don't really get about the fans crying about "missing out" on guys... the two tight ends that went to the Pats. Firstly, Jonnu is okay but nothing special so we didn't miss out on that, I'm not sure how much they paid him but I would have been more angry about over paying that kind of TE. Hunter Henry has potential sure, but also isn't some world beater TE like a Kelce or Kittle..... never played a full season.... never really been a big TD target either. And I think New England overpaid him. 25m fully gtd for what?
Pssh hard pass.

Group panic runs amuck sometimes. Our team has a plan and they appear to have the discipline to stick to it. They did not consult me and really haven't told me what the plan is. Imagine that!!
A new broom always sweeps clean.