Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free agency being done right

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 07:46 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

Lots of young guys had at cheap cost, high potential without big cap consequences. Marvin Jones is the veteran leader our young offense desperately needed and hes still got some good football in him. Im really happy with the signings personally i think we really did this thing right. Young and fairly priced guys with upside.

Edit: if we could snag kenny golladay or juju and trent williams it would allow us to truely go BPA in the draft and that would be ideal.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Lol your EDIT is exactly why this wasn't done right. The team did a pretty solid job adding good depth/rotational players (albeit they overpaid for most of them), but they missed out on the marquee couple of FAs that a team with our amount of money and needs should have been able to get. If you added something like Lawson and Jonnu or Henry to what we did then I think it would be fair to say we did it right.

(03-16-2021, 08:01 PM)Upper Wrote: Lol your EDIT is exactly why this wasn't done right. The team did a pretty solid job adding good depth/rotational players (albeit they overpaid for most of them), but they missed out on the marquee couple of FAs that a team with our amount of money and needs should have been able to get. If you added something like Lawson and Jonnu or Henry to what we did then I think it would be fair to say we did it right.

I understand signing big name guys is more fun, but i would rather get a bunch of solid guys like we did for a good price than overpay players like williams for example who is not gonna be around super long. Basically what im saying is that we added enough talent to make it much easier come draft night to take bpa rather than reach for specific positions. I do think it would be nice to add one or two of those guys i mentioned just for the sake of being a little bit more competitive this year but do not think its needed.

Big splashes are fir next year when it’s time to make a run. Smart short term plan being executed. Draft time!

The blind optimism is laughable. Meyer craps candy and Baalke farts rainbows.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 08:49 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(03-16-2021, 08:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The blind optimism is laughable. Meyer craps candy and Baalke farts rainbows.

Its not blind optimism at all. The way i see it we signed average to above average players who will replace utter dog [BLEEP] players. Thus giving us more flexibility in the draft where we have a large amount
Of picks. It was a good balance of trying to be competitive now mixed with building with young talent with potential.

And none of the signings really left a bad taste in my mouth because of the salary.. which is something im really not used to here in duval.

(03-16-2021, 08:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The blind optimism is laughable. Meyer craps candy and Baalke farts rainbows.

So much better feeling than acting like you're a split second away from opening up your veins and leaving a "Woe is me" letter..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(03-16-2021, 09:14 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

So much better feeling than acting like you're a split second away from opening up your veins and leaving a "Woe is me" letter..

Like you do in the other forum? LOL

(03-16-2021, 09:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 09:14 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: So much better feeling than acting like you're a split second away from opening up your veins and leaving a "Woe is me" letter..

Like you do in the other forum? LOL

Maybe you should read my posts in that forum a little more..

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 09:36 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-16-2021, 08:48 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

Its not blind optimism at all. The way i see it we signed average to above average players who will replace utter dog [BLEEP] players. Thus giving us more flexibility in the draft where we have a large amount
Of picks. It was a good balance of trying to be competitive now mixed with building with young talent with potential.

And none of the signings really left a bad taste in my mouth because of the salary.. which is something im really not used to here in duval.

Couldn't of said it better myself.  There are a few players I would of liked to have we didn't get and I'm sure there where a few we went after that we weren't able to get, but overall it was a good haul and most of the signings we can't get out of in 2 years when we are competing for a SB and make the big splash in FA. There isn't any question our team is better especially the defense

This team's nucleus will be built through the draft. Most of these deals are 2 year deals. That reduces the chances of the dead cap money problem we ran into after 2017 when we went wild and signed a bunch of stars to long term deals. We are a better team on paper after day 2. Long time to go until we play....be patient.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I laughed because it's so true.  Some of the fanbase buy whatever crack the current regime is selling.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(03-16-2021, 08:01 PM)Upper Wrote: Lol your EDIT is exactly why this wasn't done right. The team did a pretty solid job adding good depth/rotational players (albeit they overpaid for most of them), but they missed out on the marquee couple of FAs that a team with our amount of money and needs should have been able to get. If you added something like Lawson and Jonnu or Henry to what we did then I think it would be fair to say we did it right.

I don’t think we missed out. I think players just don’t want to play for Jax. If the Packers and Jags offer the same amount of money, then they goin’ to Green Bay.

(03-17-2021, 03:55 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

I don’t think we missed out. I think players just don’t want to play for Jax. If the Packers and Jags offer the same amount of money, then they goin’ to Green Bay.

I agree, the players are more invested in the organization they are joining.  The really good guys will get a lot of money where ever they end up and want to be treated well with a good chance for success.  Not one of them want to use their limited years in the league playing for a team like we have had since 2017. It will take time to overcome our past with these guys.

(03-17-2021, 11:28 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 03:55 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I don’t think we missed out. I think players just don’t want to play for Jax. If the Packers and Jags offer the same amount of money, then they goin’ to Green Bay.

I agree, the players are more invested in the organization they are joining.  The really good guys will get a lot of money where ever they end up and want to be treated well with a good chance for success.  Not one of them want to use their limited years in the league playing for a team like we have had since 2017. It will take time to overcome our past with these guys.

In some cases, they'll even take less money to play for a contender.. That's what some of these bozos on here don't understand..

(03-17-2021, 03:55 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:

48 hours ago we were all talking about how great of a situation Jax was in. Trent Williams and Richard Sherman were on a podcast talking up how close Jax actually was to being back in contention! Trevor Lawrence was a plug and play franchise QB! Urban Meyer is an exciting players coach that everyone loves! No state taxes! Good weather and beaches! All of the Coughlin/NFLPA negativity in the rear view mirror!

We missed out, plain and simple.

And Jaguar message board posters cry rivers.

(03-17-2021, 12:15 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 03:55 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I don’t think we missed out. I think players just don’t want to play for Jax. If the Packers and Jags offer the same amount of money, then they goin’ to Green Bay.

48 hours ago we were all talking about how great of a situation Jax was in. Trent Williams and Richard Sherman were on a podcast talking up how close Jax actually was to being back in contention! Trevor Lawrence was a plug and play franchise QB! Urban Meyer is an exciting players coach that everyone loves! No state taxes! Good weather and beaches! All of the Coughlin/NFLPA negativity in the rear view mirror!

Yes, we were all thinking we are in a great position. We actually are as we restart this franchise with cap room, draft picks a new coach and management structure. That is us, we attend games and dwell over all sorts of things the players can give a @#%@ about. Try to look at it from a players view. They would see a constantly under performing team, that has a successful college coach that has never been a head coach NFL and is restarting. We did this in 2016 and had a really good year in 2017 only to rapidly decline into a mess.  They will get say 10 mill from team A that has a proven track record or 12 mill from us where they are signing up for a rebuild with all the issues related to that. Also, what actual environment they will sign up for is completely unknown.  Give it time we will build a rep, what that will be ...

(03-17-2021, 12:15 PM)Upper Wrote:

Do you honestly believe that two free agents would get on a media channel and blast Duval? I mean, I get the whole jockocracy mindset, but neither of these guys should be accused of being dumb.

There may have been a lot of truth in what they said, but if you think that guys like that with only a few years left in the tank (if at all) are choosing to restart at ground zero you're fooling yourself.

(03-16-2021, 08:12 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Big splashes are fir next year when it’s time to make a run. Smart short term plan being executed. Draft time!

Next year the Cap increases so there will be a lot more competition for elite players.  This was the year in which the cap reduced, leaving a lot of teams without the $$ to compete for free agents.  That said, certain players weren't coming to the Jags regardless of our offer.  We need to take that into consideration.