Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade interest in Minshew

Ian Rapoport reports on Twitter that teams have called about Minshews availablity. What kind of compensation can we expect?

This guy was Rookie of the Week seven times in 2019, and I think if he had been selected higher he would have been at least Offensive Rookie of the Year (Murray was RoW once), if not Rookie of the Year. I certainly understand that other teams ask about him with Trevor pretty much a lock coming.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-18-2021, 07:35 AM)Norseman Wrote: Ian Rapoport reports on Twitter that teams have called about Minshews availablity. What kind of compensation can we expect?

This guy was Rookie of the Week seven times in 2019, and I think if he had been selected higher he would have been at least Offensive Rookie of the Year (Murray was RoW once), if not Rookie of the Year. I certainly understand that other teams ask about him with Trevor pretty much a lock coming.

His best value is if he balls out in the pre-season. Then we can trade him for a better pick in the 2022 draft. As of now, we might get a 5th.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 08:48 AM by mal234.)

I think that the Jags could get at least a fourth for him. There are some that will try and downplay his value, and act like the Jags will barely get more than where he was drafted. Some of those people may not have thought really any team would be interested in him prior to yesterday's news from Ian Rapoport. But I think that those people may end up being surprised. He's young, but has some starter experience and at the very least has shown he can be a good capable backup. And he was putting up some decent numbers at times on a team that wasn't really designed for him to succeed. 

Having to learn multiple offenses since he's been here, the team being extremely young, and a lot of the defensive talent, particularly veteran defense talent being traded away. There could be teams that think they could possibly plug him in a as a starter at some point, if they have to. Whether as a bridge QB, or if things go well possibly as a longer starter. It may depend on where he goes and how things work out. And multiple teams that could use him as a backup/plug in starter, especially if they have injury prone/older QB's/shaky QB's situations. Like maybe San Francisco who has been shaky with Jimmy G recently and has had to use multiple backups to start.

I put this in the other thread, but teams that might have asked/could ask for him-Carolina (not a strong QB situation) Broncos (they reportedly want to get someone to compete with Drew Lock) Patriots (shaky QB situation, they signed Cam, but he ended up not playing well after a few games and I've read they might want another QB)and San Francisco. I would have said the Bears and Washington Football Team as well, though they have just signed Andy Dalton/Fitzpatrick. Some people still think that the Bears could inquire about Gardner, and I saw a rumor that the Bears actually did call about him. (Not sure if that's true).

Maybe even somewhere like the Seahawks, depending on what happens with Russell Wilson. Maybe get him as a backup there for the time being/insurance, in case they ever let Russell go. Though right now they are dragging their feet in keeping him, and refused Chicago's really good offer for him. But maybe they will change their minds and trade him at some point. Also maybe the Steelers because Big Ben is aging and they could have Gardner as a backup for the time being. Big Ben has been through some injuries the past few years as well and Mike Tomlin was winning with backups like Duck Hodges.

Like Samson in the Bible, our team will be undefeatable with two QBs with such high quality hair on the roster.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-18-2021, 09:45 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Like Samson in the Bible, our team will be undefeatable with two QBs with such high quality hair on the roster.

Unfortunately there are many Delilahs waiting to entrap pro athletes.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Don't trade him now...need him for the first few games and as a backup
A new broom always sweeps clean.

If some team offered a 5th rounder, I'd take it and run. I think that is the ceiling.

(03-18-2021, 10:18 AM)Jag149 Wrote: Don't trade him now...need him for the first few games and as a backup

I agree with this. We lose Minshew and who do we have as a backup. We'd probably spend more to get a decent backup than we'd get for trading him.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(03-18-2021, 11:58 AM)Sibelius Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:18 AM)Jag149 Wrote: Don't trade him now...need him for the first few games and as a backup

I agree with this. We lose Minshew and who do we have as a backup. We'd probably spend more to get a decent backup than we'd get for trading him.

Rumor has it Alex Smith will be coming to be the back up.

If we can get a 5th I'd take it probably. If we could get a 4th I'd be ecstatic.

A solid case can be made for whether the Jaguars should trade Gardner Minshew.II now for somewhat less than they might get in the summer or close to the trade deadline. And a solid case can be made that the Jaguars should wait.

A reason why I probably would take a calculated risk if in the Jags position is tied into what Dimson expressed regarding if Minshew lights it up in the pre-season. If one or more other teams suffer a major injury to their starting QB, they might be of the opinion that Minshew is a much better option for them ( even with the learning curve in a different system, with a different supporting cast ) than the QB( s) on their roster. If this is the case, the Jaguars could end up getting as much as the equivalent of a 2nd Round pick for Minshew.

The dude has shown he can win in this league. His supporting cast has sucked. We should get more than a 5th.

(03-18-2021, 08:36 AM)mal234 Wrote: I think that the Jags could get at least a fourth for him. There are some that will try and downplay his value, and act like the Jags will barely get more than where he was drafted. Some of those people may not have thought really any team would be interested in him prior to yesterday's news from Ian Rapoport. But I think that those people may end up being surprised. He's young, but has some starter experience and at the very least has shown he can be a good capable backup. And he was putting up some decent numbers at times on a team that wasn't really designed for him to succeed. 

Having to learn multiple offenses since he's been here, the team being extremely young, and a lot of the defensive talent, particularly veteran defense talent being traded away. There could be teams that think they could possibly plug him in a as a starter at some point, if they have to. Whether as a bridge QB, or if things go well possibly as a longer starter. It may depend on where he goes and how things work out. And multiple teams that could use him as a backup/plug in starter, especially if they have injury prone/older QB's/shaky QB's situations. Like maybe San Francisco who has been shaky with Jimmy G recently and has had to use multiple backups to start.

I put this in the other thread, but teams that might have asked/could ask for him-Carolina (not a strong QB situation) Broncos (they reportedly want to get someone to compete with Drew Lock) Patriots (shaky QB situation, they signed Cam, but he ended up not playing well after a few games and I've read they might want another QB)and San Francisco. I would have said the Bears and Washington Football Team as well, though they have just signed Andy Dalton/Fitzpatrick. Some people still think that the Bears could inquire about Gardner, and I saw a rumor that the Bears actually did call about him. (Not sure if that's true).

Maybe even somewhere like the Seahawks, depending on what happens with Russell Wilson. Maybe get him as a backup there for the time being/insurance, in case they ever let Russell go. Though right now they are dragging their feet in keeping him, and refused Chicago's really good offer for him. But maybe they will change their minds and trade him at some point. Also maybe the Steelers because Big Ben is aging and they could have Gardner as a backup for the time being. Big Ben has been through some injuries the past few years as well and Mike Tomlin was winning with backups like Duck Hodges.

If the Seahawks trade Russell Wilson this year, there's probably a better chance if this happening post-June 1 because of the immense 2021 salary cap difference by waiting to trade him then. According to the Over the Cap website, a trade prior to June 1 would be a net -$7 million in Cap Savings. A post June 1st trade would be a + $19 million in Cap Savings. Hence, a difference of $26 million. 

Seattle Seahawks Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Minshew forn Ertz

My sentiments exactly.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

If we can get a pick for him I say do it. As far as options, if Alex either retires or signs elsewhere, I would consider Chase Daniel, who worked in Bevell's offense while both were with the Lions, or heck, give Glennon a call for another run. I ain't worried about wins if TLaw is out for any duration of time. This is about giving him as much help as possible to pick up the system, develop into a pro, and be ready for the next few seasons when playoffs are the expectation, and not just a happy accident.

(03-18-2021, 12:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Minshew forn Ertz

I'd do it.. 

If not, I'd say a 4-5 round for Minshew.. Of course, if the Jags held on to him by the time camp rolls around and a team is in dire need of a QB, he could command better than a 4-5 rounder..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Thumbs Up 

This right here x 100!
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(03-19-2021, 08:51 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 11:58 AM)Sibelius Wrote: I agree with this. We lose Minshew and who do we have as a backup. We'd probably spend more to get a decent backup than we'd get for trading him.

If we can get a pick for him I say do it. As far as options, if Alex either retires or signs elsewhere, I would consider Chase Daniel, who worked in Bevell's offense while both were with the Lions, or heck, give Glennon a call for another run. I ain't worried about wins if TLaw is out for any duration of time. This is about giving him as much help as possible to pick up the system, develop into a pro, and be ready for the next few seasons when playoffs are the expectation, and not just a happy accident.

Glennon has signed for the Giants.

I doubt they would accept that. If they did, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Minshew is our backup QB. It’s not even news worthy. We may as well be discussing our backup punter. His job is to hold the clip board and be ready if called upon. He’s a cheap starter and has thrown 37 TDs to 11 ints and has won 7 games as a starter. He came in for relief for Foles up in KC in week 1 of his rookie season and started off red hot 13 for 13.

He probably would have won rookie of the year if Marrone had a clue.

Why would I cut a young and cheap QB to go out and sign an older guy for more money? I don’t need a 5th or a 6th round pick that bad. The backup QB position is set and it’s one less thing to worry about.