Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade interest in Minshew

I’d keep him to groom Lawrence/Wilson. Anything is better than pin head Glennon as the backup

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wouldn’t want to keep Minshew to groom anyone. I would keep him due to his cheap contract and he’s proved he can win some games as a backup and a starter.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2021, 12:13 PM by mal234.)

(03-19-2021, 09:15 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 12:54 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Minshew forn Ertz

I'd do it.. 

If not, I'd say a 4-5 round for Minshew.. Of course, if the Jags held on to him by the time camp rolls around and a team is in dire need of a QB, he could command better than a 4-5 rounder..

(03-20-2021, 10:19 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Minshew is our backup QB. It’s not even news worthy. We may as well be discussing our backup punter. His job is to hold the clip board and be ready if called upon. He’s a cheap starter and has thrown 37 TDs to 11 ints and has won 7 games as a starter. He came in for relief for Foles up in KC in week 1 of his rookie season and started off red hot 13 for 13.

He probably would have won rookie of the year if Marrone had a clue.

Why would I cut a young and cheap QB to go out and sign an older guy for more money? I don’t need a 5th or a 6th round pick that bad. The backup QB position is set and it’s one less thing to worry about.

Urban has met with Gardner a couple of times and it sounds he likes Gardner. Though, I do think that Gardner could still be traded even if it's a little later on. It sounds like teams were reaching out to the Jags about him and not the other way around. I think they could definitely get higher than a sixth pick for him. A fourth maybe better depending on how things shake out. If the Jags held onto Gardner a little longer and he does a nice job in camp, preseason, and let's say Trevor does a good job, the Jags might could get some decent compensation if they traded Gardner. Especially if other teams still need QBs due to various things.

Plus I wonder if the Jags hosting CJ Beathard is a clue they might end up trading Gardner. Maybe they will obtain him and have him take on a backup role.

I think Mal234 is spot on, I think he could be gone around draft time - I reckon for a 4th.

Personally I want him to stay. Cheap good backup.

But, why are we bringing in other QBs to work out? The only plus side to trading Minshew now is there is a lot of QB needy teams willing to over pay/compensate and Minshews trade value is probably the highest it’s going to be right now.

I wouldn't trade him yet. His value will rise especially if there is a QB injury during the season.

I wouldn't take anything less than a 3rd.

He is an intriguing young player that, although inconsistent, has show flashes of brilliance.

I think if we are patient, a situation will arise that we could get a nice pick for him.

Minshew is fun to watch at times but the fact of the matter is he's gone a little rabbit and he has consistent field vision problems. The rabbit tendency could be ameliorated with a good front line, the field vision problem is keeping his trade status in the 5th round area.

(03-20-2021, 10:25 AM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: I’d keep him to groom Lawrence/Wilson. Anything is better than pin head Glennon as the backup

What's he going to teach him .... to hold on to the ball for as long as possible and ignore wide open TEs running down the field?

(03-21-2021, 11:01 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 10:25 AM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: I’d keep him to groom Lawrence/Wilson. Anything is better than pin head Glennon as the backup

What's he going to teach him .... to hold on to the ball for as long as possible and ignore wide open TEs running down the field?

Not if we don't have any TEs ;-)
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

(03-21-2021, 05:03 AM)BristolianJaguar Wrote: I think Mal234 is spot on, I think he could be gone around draft time - I reckon for a 4th.

Personally I want him to stay. Cheap good backup.

But, why are we bringing in other QBs to work out? The only plus side to trading Minshew now is there is a lot of QB needy teams willing to over pay/compensate and Minshews trade value is probably the highest it’s going to be right now.

gotta have camp arms.

Might be looking for someone with familiarity in OC's system to help early on. Especially if we roll with a rookie and a green backup like Minshew, it will help to have someone around who knows the play and what is expected of everyone on the field.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2021, 10:19 AM by CanDoBetter.)

If Baalke and Meyer expect Minshew to be gone it makes sense to sign the real backup asap. Beathard is a worse player than Glennon but on the other hand I don't see that the backup QB's job is as a player. It's to be a veteran presence in the QB room and help with film study, how to be a pro etc. I'm confident Lawrence can handle that but it sure doesn't hurt to have a veteran in the room who's seen it before.

If the backup plays any significant number of snaps we're doomed anyway.

Keep Minshew. He had a good rookie showing before teams started figuring him out. He's a serviceable backup. Unless it's a team offering more than expected, I wouldn't entertain a trade.

(03-18-2021, 08:28 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 07:35 AM)Norseman Wrote: Ian Rapoport reports on Twitter that teams have called about Minshews availablity. What kind of compensation can we expect?

This guy was Rookie of the Week seven times in 2019, and I think if he had been selected higher he would have been at least Offensive Rookie of the Year (Murray was RoW once), if not Rookie of the Year. I certainly understand that other teams ask about him with Trevor pretty much a lock coming.

His best value is if he balls out in the pre-season. Then we can trade him for a better pick in the 2022 draft. As of now, we might get a 5th.

This. It's almost a guarantee that another team will have QB issues at the start of next season.

Keep Minshew, we have enough holes and places to upgrade already, why create another one at back up QB? Unless you want to draft another QB later in the draft or know of a veteran you want to begin the season with.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Wait to move him. His value will go up with a good camp/preseason. His most recent game tape was with the bad thumb. Also, the value will go up when some team has an injury to their QB(s), similar to the Josh Dobbs acquisition.

unless we get a crazy deal, i would keep him. he is good insurance. what if the jags are having a great season this year and qb 1 gets hurt for a couple of games? we domt want the season to go down hill and wasted just forbnot having anything at qb2

3rd round at least. Otherwise keep him, he is at least a good backup, and probably better than anyone in free agency.

Like we could replace him with another 5th round pick, or find someone else in that round of equal value at another position. The man was good enough to start AND win in the NFL, unlike everyone else who started for the Jags last year. I imagine we'll get a call from the Pats, Steelers, and Panthers, as the OP noted.

Keep him.  Let him compete with the rookie in training camp then start him and let the rookie sit and learn.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-23-2021, 06:33 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Keep him.  Let him compete with the rookie in training camp then start him and let the rookie sit and learn.

What is this 1985?  #1 picks rarely every sit.  I am hoping that Lawrence is an instant upgrade from Minshew.  If Minshew is starting over a healthy Lawrence, something went wrong.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(03-23-2021, 07:15 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 06:33 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Keep him.  Let him compete with the rookie in training camp then start him and let the rookie sit and learn.

What is this 1985?  #1 picks rarely every sit.  I am hoping that Lawrence is an instant upgrade from Minshew.  If Minshew is starting over a healthy Lawrence, something went wrong.
And they don’t sit for Minshew hahaha

Minshew isn’t good so Trevor is better off learning while playing.

Hays Carlyon, for what it's worth, just put out his post FA 53 man roster projection. He has the QB room as Trevor Lawrence, Alex Smith (an acquisition to occur per him), and Luton would be on the practice squad. He verbally on 1010 thinks Minshew will be traded and a vet brought in.