Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Collin Johnson

Couldn't you bulk Colin up to about 240 have "Kyle Pitts" already on your team? I get that the run blocking schemes and TE routes would have to be taught but aren't they about the same guy athletically? Colin has great hands and High Pointing ability so maybe the Jags  could just spend some time converting him into a dynamic Y?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yikes

A fat Johnson does not a Pitts make

(03-20-2021, 02:45 PM)johnnywynter Wrote: Couldn't you bulk Colin up to about 240 have "Kyle Pitts" already on your team? I get that the run blocking schemes and TE routes would have to be taught but aren't they about the same guy athletically? Colin has great hands and High Pointing ability so maybe the Jags  could just spend some time converting him into a dynamic Y?

The whole point of a receiving TE is you need them to be good enough at route running and catching that if the defense tries to go heavy to defend the run you can have him beat linebacker coverage, and if they bring in a defensive back to cover him then he can block well when you run against a light defense. Can Collin Johnson be a good enough receiving threat and blocker if he gains 30 lbs (what he'd realistically need to gain) to be the difference maker? I kind of doubt it since he's not particularly dynamic as a receiver right now. Plus the team already has James O'Shaughnessy, and he's essentially what Johnson would be if he bulked up to be a mediocre blocker and pass catcher. No one's beating down his door to pay him. Maybe it's more about Pitts being a special athlete?

Wink  (This post was last modified: 03-20-2021, 03:03 PM by johnnywynter.)

I don't think it would be that hard to add 20 quality pounds to an athlete that is 6' 6"  tall with a good frame. I could be wrong that's why I posted the question

Good answer, and I agree. I just maybe saw more out of Colin last year than some people are giving him credit for

Collin fell in the draft, largely as teams were unsure of his speed and ability to get in and out of breaks at his size. He was not able to run at the combine with a hip injury and his pro day was cancelled due to the virus. He fell in the draft and the Jags were able to pick him up in the 5th round. In limited play in his rookie year, the 6'6 222 pound WR hauled in 18 passes and scored 2 TDs, but importantly showed the NFL world that he was fast and agile enough to be a WR at this level. I think he'll continue to develop and be a solid WR. Could he add weight and convert to a pass catching TE?.....probably. But, he can also continue to grow in his current WR position and be a significant mismatch there, beyond just the redzone.

I like Collin Johnson at Tight End but it’s probably unrealistic.

(03-20-2021, 02:58 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 02:45 PM)johnnywynter Wrote: Couldn't you bulk Colin up to about 240 have "Kyle Pitts" already on your team? I get that the run blocking schemes and TE routes would have to be taught but aren't they about the same guy athletically? Colin has great hands and High Pointing ability so maybe the Jags  could just spend some time converting him into a dynamic Y?

The whole point of a receiving TE is you need them to be good enough at route running and catching that if the defense tries to go heavy to defend the run you can have him beat linebacker coverage, and if they bring in a defensive back to cover him then he can block well when you run against a light defense. Can Collin Johnson be a good enough receiving threat and blocker if he gains 30 lbs (what he'd realistically need to gain) to be the difference maker? I kind of doubt it since he's not particularly dynamic as a receiver right now. Plus the team already has James O'Shaughnessy, and he's essentially what Johnson would be if he bulked up to be a mediocre blocker and pass catcher. No one's beating down his door to pay him. Maybe it's more about Pitts being a special athlete?

(03-21-2021, 02:31 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: I like Collin Johnson at Tight End but it’s probably unrealistic.

I'm starting to think Kyle Pitts at TE is unrealistic as well TBH, the more tape I watch the less  impressed  I am with his blocking ability.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2021, 05:42 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-20-2021, 02:58 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:

That's exactly right.  A TE's ability to block as well as catch passes is what makes him a matchup nightmare.  Having one who can do both puts pressure on a defense, because they don't know which one he will do on the next play.

As for Collin Johnson converting to TE, it's hard for a player to switch positions at the NFL level.  It's hard enough for a player to make it at the position he's played since high school.  But to get to the NFL and switch?  There's a reason very few players do that, and that is, it's very hard to do.

(03-22-2021, 04:47 AM)johnnywynter Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 02:58 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The whole point of a receiving TE is you need them to be good enough at route running and catching that if the defense tries to go heavy to defend the run you can have him beat linebacker coverage, and if they bring in a defensive back to cover him then he can block well when you run against a light defense. Can Collin Johnson be a good enough receiving threat and blocker if he gains 30 lbs (what he'd realistically need to gain) to be the difference maker? I kind of doubt it since he's not particularly dynamic as a receiver right now. Plus the team already has James O'Shaughnessy, and he's essentially what Johnson would be if he bulked up to be a mediocre blocker and pass catcher. No one's beating down his door to pay him. Maybe it's more about Pitts being a special athlete?

(03-21-2021, 02:31 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: I like Collin Johnson at Tight End but it’s probably unrealistic.

I'm starting to think Kyle Pitts at TE is unrealistic as well TBH, the more tape I watch the less  impressed  I am with his blocking ability.

He's a willing blocker. He doesn't have to be dominant, but he has to be willing to and put in the effort when called on to be a blocker.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-20-2021, 02:58 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: The whole point of a receiving TE is you need them to be good enough at route running and catching that if the defense tries to go heavy to defend the run you can have him beat linebacker coverage, and if they bring in a defensive back to cover him then he can block well when you run against a light defense. Can Collin Johnson be a good enough receiving threat and blocker if he gains 30 lbs (what he'd realistically need to gain) to be the difference maker? I kind of doubt it since he's not particularly dynamic as a receiver right now. Plus the team already has James O'Shaughnessy, and he's essentially what Johnson would be if he bulked up to be a mediocre blocker and pass catcher. No one's beating down his door to pay him. Maybe it's more about Pitts being a special athlete?

Pitts actually isn't that bad of a blocker.  He improved a good bit in that aspect this past year

You don’t draft Pitts to block. Kids gonna be a nightmare.

And which tape are you watching? Youtube?

(03-24-2021, 12:16 PM)Kane Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 04:47 AM)johnnywynter Wrote: I'm starting to think Kyle Pitts at TE is unrealistic as well TBH, the more tape I watch the less  impressed  I am with his blocking ability.

And which tape are you watching? Youtube?

Duck.
Tongue

(03-20-2021, 02:52 PM)snaxdelrio Wrote: A fat Johnson does not a Pitts make

Bring Lawrence to the chinese buffet every night.  He could play QB and FB!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Switch Taven Bryant to offence already!

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2021, 11:45 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I always thought Planet Reggie (Reggie Williams) would have benefitted tremendously by moving to the TE slot. The dude was fearless across the middle but didn't really have the speed or smooth hands to make for a really good WR.

Always thought Tebow was a better NFL fit at the TE position as well if he would have pursued it.

(03-20-2021, 02:52 PM)snaxdelrio Wrote: A fat Johnson does not a Pitts make

It's 2021.  I don't think we're allowed to say fat.   We could cite that he has a thyroid problem.