Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So where do we go in the first round/draft plan?

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2021, 06:27 AM by SignMeUpAtQB.)

Idk I kinda prefer Brevin Jordan over Pat Freiermuth, I think he might be better as a true Pass Catcher. If we can get him in Round 2-3 id be happy with that. In Round 1 I would expect an OT, Moehring at S, or perhaps a really promising DE if someone falls (maybe Paye or Basham). I also think Baremore is intriguing, I know we have guys at DT but he seems to have the potential to be one of the best Pass Rushers from the DT spot. I guess we gotta trade or cut Taven in that case...
Generally I think Duke nailed it on the head with his analysis.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We have a ton of holes so really it’s all about filling them.

I see it like this and take the BPA in the position of need

1a.QB
1b. OT/WR/TE/G
2. OT/WR/TE/G
3. OT/WR/TE/G
4. OT/WR/TE/G
5. S/DT/LB
6. S/DT/LB
7. S/DT/LB

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2021, 09:39 PM by surfon.)

(03-29-2021, 08:32 PM)Rockin-Jags Wrote: We have a ton of holes so really it’s all about filling them.

I see it like this and take the BPA in the position of need

1a.QB
1b. OT/WR/TE/G
2. OT/WR/TE/G
3. OT/WR/TE/G
4. OT/WR/TE/G
5. S/DT/LB
6. S/DT/LB
7. S/DT/LB

Its a swiiiing and a miss.  Pretty wide scope you narrowed down to there.

I am a fan of going offensive line or tight end at 25. I also would like to package 25 with a pick or two and trade up to the teens.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

If Zaven Collins is available at pick 25 then that is the pick. The guy will develop into the leader of the defense.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(03-30-2021, 09:39 AM)jagsfan06 Wrote: If Zaven Collins is available at pick 25 then that is the pick.  The guy will develop into the leader of the defense.

Agreed

(03-30-2021, 09:39 AM)jagsfan06 Wrote: If Zaven Collins is available at pick 25 then that is the pick.  The guy will develop into the leader of the defense.

Just based on what I have read about him, I would think he would be worth a top-15 pick, so if he falls all the way to 25, he would probably be the highest rated player available.  I think in that circumstance, we would have to take him.

I don't care if Jalen Ramsey's clone is available at 25 - either take an OT or trade down. Lawrence must be protected.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Here's my thoughts of what the Jags will do (not necessarily what I would do). Meyer is the decision maker, and Baalke is just a support service to the head coach and his coaches. In recent interviews and pressers, Meyer (and to some extent Baalke) has been surprisingly candid and open in regards to position group needs. His stated general goals were to increase team playing speed and create a top 8 (top 4th in league) defense this year, with a priority emphasis on a big/elite defensive front. In the most recent Peter King podcast, an interesting tidbit was that he wants to make decisions to win this year, and not make decisions based on what is best for 2 years from now (he further articulated that it would not be fair for players on the roster today that may not be here in 2 years).

For the defense: His upfront interior DL was priortized in free agency, with likely starters Malcolm Brown and Robertson-Harris, and backup Jihad Ward. Tyson Alualu, a possible starter, went back to Pittsburgh. He seems to like Davon Hamilton in the existing group, but hasn't mentioned any others. Although this group is vastly improved, I don't believe they would be considered collectively top 8 in the league. I don't recall Meyer stating a change needed to the edge, but he does seem to have a tremendous amount of respect for Josh Allen. I thought it slightly strange or interesting that he did not mention Chaisson, the prior year first rounder, at all when mentioning Allen and the edge. I don't recall linebacker as a group being mentioned as a group they wish to fortify, and none were acquired in free agency. He did mention that they wanted to add resources to the secondary, and he did add a significant and a solid piece in the secondary with signing Griffin and Jenkins, in addition to re-signing Herndon and Jones.

For the offense: Meyer has stated he's OK with the existing OL, and did not acquire any new free agent talent there. He mentioned adding some speed to the WR group, and acquired Jones and Dorsett. They mentioned the RB room may need some work, and, although they brought in Hyde, most see him as solely a workhorse backup and not addressing speed. He mentioned the TE room needs to be overhauled, and they lost out on any new TE talent in free agency. Bringing back O'Shaughnessy doesn't meet his objective there. It's no secret that the number one need and likely direction for the first pick per Meyer is QB.

Based on comments, first year goals, and actions to date, I think he'll have positional opportunities of priority (not in ranked order) as QB, speedy RB, TE, DL-interior, and DL-edge. If they turn out to be more needs-based drafters, I think we'll see these in the first 3-4 rounds of the draft. I would like to see an OT, but his comments and actions don't align with that being prioritized.

(03-30-2021, 06:32 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Here's my thoughts of what the Jags will do (not necessarily what I would do). Meyer is the decision maker, and Baalke is just a support service to the head coach and his coaches. In recent interviews and pressers, Meyer (and to some extent Baalke) has been surprisingly candid and open in regards to position group needs. His stated general goals were to increase team playing speed and create a top 8 (top 4th in league) defense this year, with a priority emphasis on a big/elite defensive front. In the most recent Peter King podcast, an interesting tidbit was that he wants to make decisions to win this year, and not make decisions based on what is best for 2 years from now (he further articulated that it would not be fair for players on the roster today that may not be here in 2 years).

For the defense: His upfront interior DL was priortized in free agency, with likely starters Malcolm Brown and Robertson-Harris, and backup Jihad Ward. Tyson Alualu, a possible starter, went back to Pittsburgh. He seems to like Davon Hamilton in the existing group, but hasn't mentioned any others. Although this group is vastly improved, I don't believe they would be considered collectively top 8 in the league. I don't recall Meyer stating a change needed to the edge, but he does seem to have a tremendous amount of respect for Josh Allen. I thought it slightly strange or interesting that he did not mention Chaisson, the prior year first rounder, at all when mentioning Allen and the edge. I don't recall linebacker as a group being mentioned as a group they wish to fortify, and none were acquired in free agency. He did mention that they wanted to add resources to the secondary, and he did add a significant and a solid piece in the secondary with signing Griffin and Jenkins, in addition to re-signing Herndon and Jones.

For the offense: Meyer has stated he's OK with the existing OL, and did not acquire any new free agent talent there. He mentioned adding some speed to the WR group, and acquired Jones and Dorsett. They mentioned the RB room may need some work, and, although they brought in Hyde, most see him as solely a workhorse backup and not addressing speed. He mentioned the TE room needs to be overhauled, and they lost out on any new TE talent in free agency. Bringing back O'Shaughnessy doesn't meet his objective there. It's no secret that the number one need and likely direction for the first pick per Meyer is QB.

Based on comments, first year goals, and actions to date, I think he'll have positional opportunities of priority (not in ranked order) as QB, speedy RB, TE, DL-interior, and DL-edge. If they turn out to be more needs-based drafters, I think we'll see these in the first 3-4 rounds of the draft. I would like to see an OT, but his comments and actions don't align with that being prioritized.

Nice post.  I think you've listened and reported well.  Thanks.

Another unpopular take, I'm sure. The more I see of Pitts, the more I think he's a freak of nature and a future HOF. He might be better at his position than Lawrence is at his. I would be okay with trading up our second first rounder, plus a third rounder this year, and a first rounder next year to get Pitts. i think he's that good.

Football is a team sport. No one player is worth giving up draft picks to acquire. Never trade up. Trade down if it's a good deal. These are college players, NO ONE knows for sure if they can make the transition to the Professional level.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Zaven would be a very solid pick up. Joe Schmo is already terrible at the run, him at 3-4 MLB sounds atrocious. Parsons is everyone's lock for top 10, but apparently there is character concerns. 6-3 246 at 4.39 speed in the middle with Jack would be quite a tandem. If he happens to fall I go Parsons, hope the Urbs can figure it out with Micah.

(03-31-2021, 11:00 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Another unpopular take, I'm sure.  The more I see of Pitts, the more I think he's a freak of nature and a future HOF.  He might be better at his position than Lawrence is at his. I would be okay with trading up our second first rounder, plus a third rounder this year, and a first rounder next year to get Pitts. i think he's that good.
He’s likely going top 6. Can’t trade up that high for him.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 12:15 PM by The Real Marty.)

(03-31-2021, 11:00 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Another unpopular take, I'm sure.  The more I see of Pitts, the more I think he's a freak of nature and a future HOF.  He might be better at his position than Lawrence is at his. I would be okay with trading up our second first rounder, plus a third rounder this year, and a first rounder next year to get Pitts. i think he's that good.

I don't think you could swing the deal for that.  A first rounder next year is equal in value to a second rounder this year.  So you would be giving up one late first rounder and two second rounders to move up 19 spots.  That's not enough.  

Secondly, what if we actually could do that deal and Pitts wound up getting injured or something?  That would be like losing 3 players- the 3 you gave up to get him.  

Personally, with so many needs on this team, I would not give up 3 picks, that should give us 3 starting quality players, for one superstar TE.  I'd do it for a QB, but not a TE.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 12:22 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

The Jags have sooooo many weaknesses that it's better to fill multiple positions to rebuild the future than to load up on 2 players (TL and Pitts).    The strategy you presented is for teams that may be 1 player away from a Super Bowl like the Packers or something.

(03-30-2021, 09:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Agreed

I like LB at pick #25 with J.O-K (our of Notre Dame) being my 1st choice and Collins being my #2 choice.   Collins may fit more of a need at ILB but J.O-K seems like one of those unique players that can blitz, cover TEs and slot WRs and be a perfect fit for teams like the Ravens & Steelers that use multiple defensive blitzing schemes which I hope the Jags migrate to this year.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:09 PM by Rockin-Jags.)

I love Zaven and would be thrilled with that pick at 25

1. Trevor Lawrence- consensus #1 overall
25. Zaven Collins- Can do it all from pass rusher to coverage LB
33. Alex Leatherwood- protect the QB at all costs

We need to go after the guy from that school...

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-31-2021, 11:38 AM)Jag149 Wrote: Football is a team sport. No one player is worth giving up draft picks to acquire. Never trade up. Trade down if it's a good deal. These are college players, NO ONE knows for sure if they can make the transition to the Professional level.

Tell that to the chiefs who traded up to pick Mahomes!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

If we do draft a lineman, I’d hope it’s someone with Guard/Tackle flexibility. Like Teven Jenkins, simply because I don’t think the Jags give up on Jawaan Taylor so fast, so putting the best 5 guys on the field might include Taylor moving to guard if Jenkins wins RT. Or vice verse.