Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So where do we go in the first round/draft plan?

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2021, 08:58 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-02-2021, 07:35 PM)Black and Teal Wrote: If we do draft a lineman, I’d hope it’s someone with Guard/Tackle flexibility. Like Teven Jenkins, simply because I don’t think the Jags give up on Jawaan Taylor so fast, so putting the best 5 guys on the field might include Taylor moving to guard if Jenkins wins RT. Or vice verse.

I don't believe Taylor could beat out Cann for the RG position. Cann has his issues, but he is a better player than Taylor.

(03-30-2021, 09:39 AM)jagsfan06 Wrote: If Zaven Collins is available at pick 25 then that is the pick.  The guy will develop into the leader of the defense.

I wouldn't complain if we took Collins. He's my #7 overall player in the draft. That would be great value and he has the versatility to play inside or outside.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I know some of you guys want to have an All Pro offensive line, but if we don’t fix that defense then we’re gonna have another long season..

We’ve got to spend some of our top picks on defense after we secure Trevor Lawrence.

It's BAP at 25, when do we learn?

(04-03-2021, 12:03 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I know some of you guys want to have an All Pro offensive line, but if we don’t fix that defense then we’re gonna have another long season..

We’ve got to spend some of our top picks on defense after we secure Trevor Lawrence.

That is simply not true. I'm fine with our interior offensive line and none of them are anything special. I just want a pair of functioning OT's who aren't totally inept.

(04-03-2021, 10:02 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: It's BAP at 25, when do we learn?

Best available punter.

(04-03-2021, 11:59 AM)iapetus Wrote:

Best available punter.

That made me ANGERy..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I think in many instances, the "BAP" boilerplate language only serves as a justification to draft a player that doesn't fit a perceived need.
To those teams that actually DO adhere to BAP, it's still not a foolproof system.  Its reliability depends on the accuracy of the player evaluations and rankings.  If you make mistakes in evaluating a player or players and the rankings reflect the errors, you could still end up drafting a bust.  Gene Smith asserted he was a BAP drafter.  Either he was lying, or he honestly thought he was but couldn't evaluate and rank the talent.
We're coming off three straight losing seasons, including last year's 1-15 season.
We have a ton of needs, and just about any player at any position could be justified as a BAP pick.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I’d personally like the 1st 4 picks all to be offence. (Unless a special defensive player drops for us). I think our defence will be much improved this year because of the new scheme and also the players we’ve brought in.

The focus should be giving TL the best chance to succeed

It's extremely unlikely that there will be a clear BAP at 25, or at any pick. What teams do is lump everyone that has close grades together and then they'll pick one that fills a top need, or that is a premium position, or that is from a weak class positionally where there might not be another good player from that position later on.

(04-03-2021, 12:03 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I know some of you guys want to have an All Pro offensive line, but if we don’t fix that defense then we’re gonna have another long season..

Clueless as usual.

Yeah let's go all defense after Trevor so we can watch him get killed like Burrow. Also, let's not give him any weapons at all, why would you give the tools to succeed to your rookie QB? If Robinson goes down all teams will be scared of Hyde Laughing Laughing Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2021, 04:54 PM by SeldomRite.)

(04-03-2021, 02:01 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

Clueless as usual.

Yeah let's go all defense after Trevor so we can watch him get killed like Burrow. Also, let's not give him any weapons at all, why would you give the tools to succeed to your rookie QB? If Robinson goes down all teams will be scared of Hyde Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't understand why the Bengals didn't just go out to the offensive lineman tree and pick a bunch of Tony Boselli types. I mean, that's how this works, right, you need a quality offensive lineman and so you pick one in the first round, then he's good, right? Kind of how the Jaguars felt that they needed a great receiver to play along side Leftwich back in 2004, so they picked one in the top ten, so he was therefore good at playing football, right? Plus they had picked Leftwich in the top ten the year before, so why would they need a great QB when they had just taken a first round QB and therefore didn't need a great QB anymore? Forget about best player, just keep picking positions, not players.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2021, 02:34 PM by Jags32250.)

(04-03-2021, 01:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
I think in many instances, the "BAP" boilerplate language only serves as a justification to draft a player that doesn't fit a perceived need.
To those teams that actually DO adhere to BAP, it's still not a foolproof system.  Its reliability depends on the accuracy of the player evaluations and rankings.  If you make mistakes in evaluating a player or players and the rankings reflect the errors, you could still end up drafting a bust.  Gene Smith asserted he was a BAP drafter.  Either he was lying, or he honestly thought he was but couldn't evaluate and rank the talent.
We're coming off three straight losing seasons, including last year's 1-15 season.
We have a ton of needs, and just about any player at any position could be justified as a BAP pick.
Agree with everything you said, it’s not foolproof but it increases the probability of hitting on the pick. We have had waaaaay to many misses and the team is full of holes. BAP is the way to go, especially where the team currently is.

(04-03-2021, 01:58 PM)Upper Wrote:

It's extremely unlikely that there will be a clear BAP at 25, or at any pick. What teams do is lump everyone that has close grades together and then they'll pick one that fills a top need, or that is a premium position, or that is from a weak class positionally where there might not be another good player from that position later on.
Huh? Extremely unlikely at any pick? No.

We need a lot of improvement on both sides of the ball and we aren't going to be able to fill those spots with one draft class. 

Im sorry but the O line sucks. Have for a few seasons now. I blame Warhop but we kept him and Franchised Cam. We have to improve it and i see Teven Jenkins name keep being mentioned. 

But we have to put some significant investment in the D. We have wasted 1st round picks on D with Taven and Chaisson but we have let all the talent go out the door and its unrealistic to expect 4th round picks onwards and UFA to progress to star player quality.

We have to protect Lawrence, hes the future we build around and next off season invest FA money in draft picks on D. We cant fix the whole mess in one year sadly.

(04-03-2021, 02:31 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Huh? Extremely unlikely at any pick? No.

The farther you get down the board the larger the tiers get. There's probably 4 or 5 top tier players this year, and we'll take Lawrence because of positional value and need. Tier two goes from roughly 6 to 13 this year IMO. Then tier 3 is literally like 14 to 40 in this class.

(04-03-2021, 02:20 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 02:01 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Clueless as usual.

I don't understand why the Bengals didn't just go out to the offensive lineman tree and pick a bunch of Tony Boselli types. I mean, that's how this works, right, you need a quality offensive lineman and so you pick one in the first round, then he's good, right? Kind of how the Jaguars felt that they needed a great receiver to play along side Leftwich back in 2004, so they picked one in the top ten, so he was there for at playing football, right? Plus they had picked Leftwich in the top ten the year before, so why would they need a great QB when they had just taken a first round QB and therefore didn't need a great QB anymore?

Exactly what I meant, you are so smart.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2021, 07:15 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-03-2021, 01:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

What that means is they need to take the highest player on their board that is available

Exactly, some people still want to draft for need.  In reality you could almost argue every position is a need, so take whoever your highest rated player is.

(04-03-2021, 02:57 PM)Upper Wrote:

The farther you get down the board the larger the tiers get. There's probably 4 or 5 top tier players this year, and we'll take Lawrence because of positional value and need. Tier two goes from roughly 6 to 13 this year IMO. Then tier 3 is literally like 14 to 40 in this class.

Is that what your board looks like?

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2021, 07:26 PM by Jags32250.)

Ok, cool!

Wanna do a history lesson for us? Go look up the last 15 years of first round picks, most forced “need” picks. That’s right.

(04-03-2021, 07:24 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Wanna do a history lesson for us? Go look up the last 15 years of first round picks, most forced “need” picks. That’s right.

None of us know what is a BAP vs need pick when a team makes a pick.

(04-03-2021, 09:09 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 07:24 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Wanna do a history lesson for us? Go look up the last 15 years of first round picks, most forced “need” picks. That’s right.

None of us know what is a BAP vs need pick when a team makes a pick.
Oh, man I must not have been around at those dark times. Cmon, don’t be dumb.

(04-03-2021, 07:10 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 01:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I think in many instances, the "BAP" boilerplate language only serves as a justification to draft a player that doesn't fit a perceived need.

What that means is they need to take the highest player on their board that is available

I know exactly what it means when used on the board.

I also know when a team misses, it's always attributed to being a needs pick whether it's a need pick or not.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!