Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What a Stupid Stupid Article

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2021, 12:22 PM by Bullseye.)

This bit of literary diarrhea is from Chris Simms, who should know better.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/24/chris-simm...fXrzTbrvJk

When most of these same media talking heads were trying to shove Tim Tebow down our throats, their rationale was driven mostly by the fact that he's a local kid, a god like figure here in Jacksonville, and he'll put butts in the seats. Indeed, I have had the misfortune of meeting people who would have bought season tickets to see him on the bench here.  Never mind the fact he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Just get Tebow in Jacksonville. Now that the Jaguars are about to get who most pundits deem a "generational" QB, Simms chimes in with this drivel. But where was he chiming in against this brains in the butt...err...butts in the seats rationale being imposed on us from the outside?

Under his logic, Mac Jones, also deemed a first round QB by most, isn't from Georgia. He's from Jacksonville! I know I never HEARD of Lawrence's hometown until this year, and though I have spectacular and unfortunate levels of ignorance on many subjects, I know can't be alone in this. If anyone would have been used under this rationale, it's Mac Jones, who just won the National championship with Alabama and was a Hiesman candidate.

What Simms is conveniently forgetting is Trevor Lawrence has a stronger resume than any of the other projected first round candidates.  He has started thirty six (36) games in college, finishing with a 34-2 record.  Wilson has, at most, thirty starts, and let's just say he wasn't 34-2 with a national championship.  Justin Fields  has maybe twenty two games as a starter and while he wound up 1-1 vs. Trevor Lawrence and made the postseason twice, he has no national championships to his credit.  Trey Lance has one season and one game as a starter.  The one full season was back in 2019.

Those accomplishments, combined with his considerable physical attributes (prototypical size, considerable athletic ability, intangibles, arm talent) has made the overwhelming majority of pundits and observers label him the best prospect since Andrew Luck, with some saying he's he best since Elway.  For Simms to even suggest that selling tickets is the fuel for the interest in Trevor Lawrence is an insult to Lawrence, the Jaguars, and football fans everywhere.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Simms likes to stir the pot, and also just throws out some legit stupid takes sometimes.

Most see past it easily enough. It's dumb, but there's gotta be some Lawrence dtractors out there to keep things fresh I guess.

(03-25-2021, 12:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Simms likes to stir the pot, and also just throws out some legit stupid takes sometimes.

Most see past it easily enough.  It's dumb, but there's gotta be some Lawrence dtractors out there to keep things fresh I guess.

But he did that when he made the argument that Wilson was better than Lawrence.

Now, he comes across as a guy with Trevor Lawrence envy and a Jaguars basher.

(03-25-2021, 12:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 12:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Simms likes to stir the pot, and also just throws out some legit stupid takes sometimes.

Most see past it easily enough.  It's dumb, but there's gotta be some Lawrence dtractors out there to keep things fresh I guess.

Yeah. He's def bashing the org. 

I think he's received the "duval" treatment a few times on twitter/social media when he had negative things to say about the Jags and now he's going to be a frequent antagonist regarding our moves.

(03-25-2021, 12:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 12:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: But he did that when he made the argument that Wilson was better than Lawrence.

Yeah. He's def bashing the org. 

I think he's received the "duval" treatment a few times on twitter/social media when he had negative things to say about the Jags and now he's going to be a frequent antagonist regarding our moves.

Fortunately we didn't make the mistake of drafting him...and we've made plenty of mistakes at the position.

I said it a while back but Lawrence is already getting the Lebron treatment.

He's been so good for so long that they find other people to tout and find ways to bash Lebron. Lebron should win MVP every single season but because people are bored with how great he is, they look for others to hype up. Same thing is happening here with Lawrence and Wilson. Lawrence has been the man for so long that people are bored saying he's the man.

(03-25-2021, 12:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

He does have a history of bashing the Jags.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-25-2021, 12:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I said it a while back but Lawrence is already getting the Lebron treatment.

He's been so good for so long that they find other people to tout and find ways to bash Lebron. Lebron should win MVP every single season but because people are bored with how great he is, they look for others to hype up. Same thing is happening here with Lawrence and Wilson. Lawrence has been the man for so long that people are bored saying he's the man.

In baseball we call it prospect fatigue.

And when Lawrence excels, Simms will just as likely claim that he knew all along that he would. Lol.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Simms is in the Skip Bayless/Colin Cowherd group of air bags.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2021, 03:21 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

This guys an idiot. He also say this, i wouldn't draft Wilson in the 7th

https://www.si.com/college/florida/footb...raft-simms

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2021, 03:34 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-25-2021, 01:07 PM)copycat Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 12:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: But he did that when he made the argument that Wilson was better than Lawrence.

He does have a history of bashing the Jags.

(03-25-2021, 02:06 PM)Kane Wrote: Simms is in the Skip Bayless/Colin Cowherd group of air bags.

But that's the thing.

I never perceived him as a Jaguars basher before.  I'm generally cognizant of anti Jaguars bias, but Simms never displayed those signs in my eyes, unless there are some articles/comments I missed.

If I had, the article would still be quite stupid...but at least it would be expected.

The Jaguars had plenty of opportunity to do what Simms asserts long ago.

The Jaguars could have taken Danny Wuerffel.

We could have hired Steve Spurrier.

We could have drafted Tim Tebow.

You can say what you will about our history of drafting, especially at QB. 

But the team has never capitulated to those other motives when picking players. 

Why assert this now, after all this time?

Agree 100%.
Instead of spewing the same drivel as his colleagues Simms is offering a different viewpoint.  Right or wrong, he's trying.  I just ignore him.  Its freeing.

He's on a hot streak of being correct on some of his hot takes of the qb prospects for the last 2-3 years. He'll keep it up until he's dead wrong

go back in time,how many super bowls did chris sims win as a nfl qb ? 0 right so who cares what he says.   Like tom brady or not if he says trevor will be a great qb believe him he has 7 rings. 

Brady isn't the my favorite qb,but i will admit he is a great qb espiassley to win a SB without training camp and all with new team.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Chris Simms also thinks the Jets should stick with Sam Darnold.

I'd take whatever he says with a giant pile of salt.

He covers his you know what by saying Trevor is still a great qb, but wilson has the higher ceiling in his opinion. Most of the same drivel as in his video awhile back.

Well of course they are taking Trevor to sell tickets. Thats what every team does when you improve you sell more tickets. That part is just straight out stupid.

If both Lawrence and Wilson live up to their hype, then no one has to take their words back. Could be like an Eli Manning/Philip Rivers situation.
Let's hope for that.
the Jags are drafting lawrence, though, and they should.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

In what universe does Zach Wilson have fewer questions about his game than Trevor Lawrence?

Thankfully, the original link is a story about his statement, and not one that actually garnered Simms any additional clickthroughs for readers to witness his density firsthand.

Quote:"[Wilson] is ready right now and I think he has less questions about his game than a Trevor Lawrence."

That's all you need to glean from the story. This is denying the level of competition, the single season of good stats, physical traits, and other complaints lodged about Wilson's prospects.

He's a taekmonger, just another Cowherd, Kornheiser, Bayless clone trying to throw contrarian views out there to get people talking about him.