Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Let's Talk About- Political Edition

I’m surprised they didn’t try a ‘white middle-easterner’ tact to go along with the white hispanic label.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-26-2021, 08:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 01:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: How about if we reduce both.

because I want to encourage the earning of salaries, and discourage the consumption of gasoline.

Taxes as social engineering, the reason we're in this mess in the first place. Stupid people think that they can get just the right amount of command and control in the economy to create Utopia, and all they do is [BLEEP] things up worse.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-26-2021, 08:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 01:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: How about if we reduce both.

because I want to encourage the earning of salaries, and discourage the consumption of gasoline.

Both commendable goals, but why are you seeking to link the two completely unrelated forms of taxation?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 01:08 PM by mikesez.)

(03-27-2021, 09:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 08:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: because I want to encourage the earning of salaries, and discourage the consumption of gasoline.

Taxes as social engineering, the reason we're in this mess in the first place. Stupid people think that they can get just the right amount of command and control in the economy to create Utopia, and all they do is [BLEEP] things up worse.

That's unstable thinking.
A little bit of encouragement is not the same as commanding.
Trying to improve society is not the same as having delusions of utopia.

(03-27-2021, 09:32 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 08:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: because I want to encourage the earning of salaries, and discourage the consumption of gasoline.

Both commendable goals, but why are you seeking to link the two completely unrelated forms of taxation?

So the amount of revenue the government collects and the amount of debt it creates remains about the same. So that the policy tweak only has microeconomic effects, not macroeconomic.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-27-2021, 01:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 09:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Taxes as social engineering, the reason we're in this mess in the first place. Stupid people think that they can get just the right amount of command and control in the economy to create Utopia, and all they do is [BLEEP] things up worse.

(03-27-2021, 09:32 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Both commendable goals, but why are you seeking to link the two completely unrelated forms of taxation?

So the amount of revenue the government collects and the amount of debt it creates remains about the same. So that the policy tweak only has microeconomic effects, not macroeconomic.

Forcing is forcing no matter how you try to mince words. Every little bit of "encouragement" grows into much much more over time.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-27-2021, 01:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 09:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Taxes as social engineering, the reason we're in this mess in the first place. Stupid people think that they can get just the right amount of command and control in the economy to create Utopia, and all they do is [BLEEP] things up worse.

(03-27-2021, 09:32 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Both commendable goals, but why are you seeking to link the two completely unrelated forms of taxation?

Why create more debt?  How about reducing what we already have through a decrease in government spending?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-27-2021, 01:48 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 01:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: So the amount of revenue the government collects and the amount of debt it creates remains about the same. So that the policy tweak only has microeconomic effects, not macroeconomic.

Why create more debt?  How about reducing what we already have through a decrease in government spending?

Who benefits from a reduction in the deficit at this time?

(03-27-2021, 03:08 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 01:48 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Why create more debt?  How about reducing what we already have through a decrease in government spending?

Who benefits from a reduction in the deficit at this time?

Assuming that you have been allowed to breed... your children and possibly grand-children.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(03-27-2021, 04:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 03:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: Who benefits from a reduction in the deficit at this time?

Assuming that you have been allowed to breed... your children and possibly grand-children.

I have two kids.  How would they benefit from a reduced deficit? It would shrink the economy.

(03-27-2021, 05:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 04:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Assuming that you have been allowed to breed... your children and possibly grand-children.

I have two kids.  How would they benefit from a reduced deficit? It would shrink the economy.

The biggest threat ultimately is devalued currency and massive inflation. Like Venezuela style inflation.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 07:49 PM by mikesez.)

(03-27-2021, 06:03 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 05:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: I have two kids.  How would they benefit from a reduced deficit? It would shrink the economy.

The biggest threat ultimately is devalued currency and massive inflation. Like Venezuela style inflation.

the availability of currency has to keep pace with the availability of resources in the country. Venezuela experienced hyperinflation because for years they took all the profits of the state owned oil company and distributed them to the poor instead of reinvesting some of them in keeping the machinery running. Then when the workers finally had enough of dealing with low wages and jerry rigged unsafe equipment, they went on strike. Chavez replaced all of them with loyalists. Now Chavez loyalists all have cushy jobs, but none of them are producing very much oil. 
The US does not even have a hint of these types of problems. We produce a lot of stuff, varying kinds of stuff.

So Kurt Russell is a Libertarian. Who knew?

(03-27-2021, 06:03 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 05:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: I have two kids.  How would they benefit from a reduced deficit? It would shrink the economy.

I think there is a good chance that the powers that be are letting inflation happen in order to reduce the real value of the federal debt.  There's no way we can pay it back.  And it's getting to the point where we won't be able to even pay the interest on it.  The only way out of this mess is inflation.  Inflation will bring in more tax revenue, therefore allowing the government to afford the trillions in debt they have piled up.  

It is a conspiracy theory, but I think it's plausible.  

The problem will be controlling the inflation.

(03-28-2021, 05:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 06:03 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: The biggest threat ultimately is devalued currency and massive inflation. Like Venezuela style inflation.

I think there is a good chance that the powers that be are letting inflation happen in order to reduce the real value of the federal debt.  There's no way we can pay it back.  And it's getting to the point where we won't be able to even pay the interest on it.  The only way out of this mess is inflation.  Inflation will bring in more tax revenue, therefore allowing the government to afford the trillions in debt they have piled up.  

I read an article some twenty five years ago that proposed hyper-inflation as the only possible solution to the national debt. At the time it was around 4 Trillion dollars lol.

Caught 2 minutes of that idiot Anthony Anderson doing the monologue at the NAACP awards last night. I'd love to know what planet he lives on.

(03-27-2021, 06:03 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: The biggest threat ultimately is devalued currency and massive inflation. Like Venezuela style inflation.

That will effectively devalue the dollar. It can cause a lot of pain for the working class and obviously detrimental to the overall health of the economy.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021, 09:05 AM by The Real Marty.)

(03-28-2021, 08:34 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 05:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think there is a good chance that the powers that be are letting inflation happen in order to reduce the real value of the federal debt.  There's no way we can pay it back.  And it's getting to the point where we won't be able to even pay the interest on it.  The only way out of this mess is inflation.  Inflation will bring in more tax revenue, therefore allowing the government to afford the trillions in debt they have piled up.  

That will effectively devalue the dollar. It can cause a lot of pain for the working class and obviously detrimental to the overall health of the economy.

There's a reason inflation is called "the hidden tax."  When a country cannot raise enough in taxes to cover its obligations, the only way out is to devalue the currency.  Because when a dollar is worth less, then the debt is also worth less, because the debt is measured in dollars.  More tax revenue in nominal terms, smaller debt in real terms.  Abra cadabra!  Make a big chunk of the federal debt disappear!

The Fed is very open about its goal of 2% annual inflation.
Maintaining our ability to pay the interest on our deficit is one of the reasons they have that goal.
The other is that just a little bit of deflation is kryptonite to a consumer economy. If you believe goods will be cheaper next month, you are more likely to hold back your purchasing. Deflation is very much to be avoided, or so the prevailing theory says.

I’ll take a stab at this:

The fact that advertisers/businesses need to incorporate EVERY race in pamphlets or commercials. I saw one with a black guy, white wife and an Asian baby. Seriously? Don’t get me started on the “Cover Boy”.

(03-28-2021, 08:55 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ll take a stab at this:

The fact that advertisers/businesses need to incorporate EVERY race in pamphlets or commercials.   I saw one with a black guy, white wife and an Asian baby.  Seriously?   Don’t get me started on the “Cover Boy”.

Which company is this? We need to boycott these homophobes.

(03-28-2021, 08:55 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ll take a stab at this:

The fact that advertisers/businesses need to incorporate EVERY race in pamphlets or commercials.   I saw one with a black guy, white wife and an Asian baby.  Seriously?   Don’t get me started on the “Cover Boy”.

Based on the signs at JIA that I saw today there aren't any white people that attend UNF.