Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Let's Talk About- Political Edition

(03-28-2021, 09:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 08:55 PM)Jags Wrote: I’ll take a stab at this:

The fact that advertisers/businesses need to incorporate EVERY race in pamphlets or commercials.   I saw one with a black guy, white wife and an Asian baby.  Seriously?   Don’t get me started on the “Cover Boy”.

Based on the signs at JIA that I saw today there aren't any white people that attend UNF.

They're probably stock photos.  You can probably see the same kids "attending" UNC Charlotte and Georgia State when you connect at those airports.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

A lot of comments people are posting on other forums in regards to bring racist are crazy. Apparently any time someone has made fun of my accent, or how I look, or that I grew up in the South.... they have been racially charged.

Oh. Wait. No. That's not right because I'm white. I can't have ever been hit by racially motivated/charged language because I'm not brown or black.

But seriously! If you make any kind of comment that a POC perceives as racist then you're in deep doo doo. But if you're white and similar comments are made to you, you just better suck it up you Whiskey Tango.

(03-26-2021, 11:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I kind of wish everyone would lose interest in politics.

Dude, you have 7,500 posts in this Political Section.   Stating you wish everyone would lose interest in politics is like Jefferey Dahmer stating he'd wish people would stop eating other people.

(04-01-2021, 11:42 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 11:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I kind of wish everyone would lose interest in politics.

Dude, you have 7,500 posts in this Political Section.   Stating you wish everyone would lose interest in politics is like Jefferey Dahmer stating he'd wish people would stop eating other people.

Touche'.  

Maybe I should say, I wish people would not get so emotional about politics.

(03-28-2021, 09:53 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 09:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Based on the signs at JIA that I saw today there aren't any white people that attend UNF.

They're probably stock photos.  You can probably see the same kids "attending" UNC Charlotte and Georgia State when you connect at those airports.

Did you just refer to People of Color* as "stock"?

That's so 19th century of you, you should be ashamed.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-28-2021, 05:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 06:03 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: The biggest threat ultimately is devalued currency and massive inflation. Like Venezuela style inflation.

I think there is a good chance that the powers that be are letting inflation happen in order to reduce the real value of the federal debt.  There's no way we can pay it back.  And it's getting to the point where we won't be able to even pay the interest on it.  The only way out of this mess is inflation.  Inflation will bring in more tax revenue, therefore allowing the government to afford the trillions in debt they have piled up.  

It is a conspiracy theory, but I think it's plausible.  

The problem will be controlling the inflation.

Nah there won’t be a problem with controlling the inflation. The whole world is in on this game. Everybody is doing the same thing. The people who lose are the poor, especially the poor worldwide that is not in the developed countries. The only real issues people in our nation have is saving enough to put in inflation beating assets like stock, or wealth holding assets like precious metals.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Just a thought that came to mind while watching a show that mentions Republicans who want every state to require voter ID. I'm sure we've had this discussion before over the years but refresh my memory.

How does a citizen of this country in this day and age go about life without a government issued ID? I'm not talking about non-citizens, I'm talking about people who are legal citizens.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2021, 08:58 AM by The Real Marty.)

(04-03-2021, 10:31 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Just a thought that came to mind while watching a show that mentions Republicans who want every state to require voter ID. I'm sure we've had this discussion before over the years but refresh my memory.

How does a citizen of this country in this day and age go about life without a government issued ID? I'm not talking about non-citizens, I'm talking about people who are legal citizens.

I suppose if you don't drive a car you might not have a driver's license.  I don't know what other government ID you might have other than a driver's license.  

I wonder if the people who don't want to allow people to vote without a government issued ID would be willing to appropriate the funds and make the effort to get all citizens a government issued ID.  I suspect most of them would rather just exclude poor people from voting.   "Election integrity" is a convenient excuse for voter suppression. Unless, of course, they are willing to get everyone a government issued ID.

(04-04-2021, 08:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 10:31 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Just a thought that came to mind while watching a show that mentions Republicans who want every state to require voter ID. I'm sure we've had this discussion before over the years but refresh my memory.

I suppose if you don't drive a car you might not have a driver's license.  I don't know what other government ID you might have other than a driver's license.  

I wonder if the people who don't want to allow people to vote without a government issued ID would be willing to appropriate the funds and make the effort to get all citizens a government issued ID.  I suspect most of them would rather just exclude poor people from voting.   "Election integrity" is a convenient excuse for voter suppression. Unless, of course, they are willing to get everyone a government issued ID.

Based on what exactly?  Your own biases?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(04-04-2021, 09:00 AM)copycat Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 08:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I suppose if you don't drive a car you might not have a driver's license.  I don't know what other government ID you might have other than a driver's license.  

Based on what exactly?  Your own biases?

If you think they are doing this for the good of the country and not for their own benefit, I'd say you have a very idealistic view of politicians.

You get an ID card at the DMV for $25. How do you work, open a bank account, buy MD2020, or get into a bar without one? The idea that minorities are too dumb or poor to be capable of getting one is unadulterated bigotry.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-04-2021, 09:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 08:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I suppose if you don't drive a car you might not have a driver's license.  I don't know what other government ID you might have other than a driver's license.  

You get an ID card at the DMV for $25. How do you work, open a bank account, buy MD2020, or get into a bar without one? The idea that minorities are too dumb or poor to be capable of getting one is unadulterated bigotry.

I was wrong. I thought everyone knew this.

And you call other people racist!!!!!!!

How common do you think not having identification is among poor people? I can see the homeless population having an issue with it, but I’m taking about your average poor person that isn’t living on the streets. If your the working poor, you need an id to cash a check, and if you’re not working and get assistance, you still have to prove who you are before you can receive benefits. 

I don’t think the lack of identification is as big of an issue that people make it out to be.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Marty is an advocate for the homeless. His work in the community has shown that year after year.

Florida gives the homeless an ID for free.

(04-04-2021, 09:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 09:00 AM)copycat Wrote: Based on what exactly?  Your own biases?

If you think they are doing this for the good of the country and not for their own benefit, I'd say you have a very idealistic view of politicians.

It amazes me you can type that without considering who benefits most from these policies. The "For the People Act" is hogwash. An absolute [BLEEP] show of a bill that removes the citizens' ability to monitor elections. Look at some of the processes that are included in this bill: Automatically register all individuals in state and federal registries over 16 to vote, remove any ID law that verifies citizenship, prevent states from removing ineligible voters, make it mandatory that all states have universal mail in voting (which means all registered citizens can vote by mail without requesting a ballot), remove signature verification, allow for ballot harvesting and drop boxes for votes, and remove the criminal penalty for people who illegally vote accidentally. Just think about that for a second. That is a system that is built for corruption. If you would subject yourself to that, you are a moron. There is even more non-sense in the bill, but I'm not going to list it all. 

Voter suppression is the narrative Democrats are using to create bad policy. People too stupid to know the difference need to stop voting. Are you stupid Marty?

(04-04-2021, 03:44 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 09:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If you think they are doing this for the good of the country and not for their own benefit, I'd say you have a very idealistic view of politicians.

It amazes me you can type that without considering who benefits most from these policies. The "For the People Act" is hogwash. An absolute [BLEEP] show of a bill that removes the citizens' ability to monitor elections. Look at some of the processes that are included in this bill: Automatically register all individuals in state and federal registries over 16 to vote, remove any ID law that verifies citizenship, prevent states from removing ineligible voters, make it mandatory that all states have universal mail in voting (which means all registered citizens can vote by mail without requesting a ballot), remove signature verification, allow for ballot harvesting and drop boxes for votes, and remove the criminal penalty for people who illegally vote accidentally. Just think about that for a second. That is a system that is built for corruption. If you would subject yourself to that, you are a moron. There is even more non-sense in the bill, but I'm not going to list it all. 

Voter suppression is the narrative Democrats are using to create bad policy. People too stupid to know the difference need to stop voting. Are you stupid Marty?

I think you're exaggerating.
You also didn't mention anything about gerrymandering, nor did you mention anything about Shelby County v Holder, so I know you're not looking at the full background of how we got here and why action is needed.

I know where you stand. You are easily manipulated. They throw in one clause in an otherwise disastrous bill and you go all in. Use your brain. Even if they solve the gerrymandering problem (which they won't), it doesn't justify the EVERYTHING ELSE designed to break our system. You're going to be complicit in the destruction of our Republic. I knew when I made my last post that you would chime in with this nonsense. Your reasoning: Here, drink this poison that will kill you, and I'll throw in a delicious hamburger for FREE.

Show me how I'm exaggerating. Look at what the bill is actually proposing.

(04-04-2021, 04:39 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I know where you stand. You are easily manipulated. They throw in one clause in an otherwise disastrous bill and you go all in. Use your brain. Even if they solve the gerrymandering problem (which they won't), it doesn't justify the EVERYTHING ELSE designed to break our system. You're going to be complicit in the destruction of our Republic. I knew when I made my last post that you would chime in with this nonsense. Your reasoning: Here, drink this poison that will kill you, and I'll throw in a delicious hamburger for FREE.

Show me how I'm exaggerating. Look at what the bill is actually proposing.

I haven't read the bill as much as you have.
I am sure that some of it is intolerable.
You see, the House of Representatives still believes that they are dealing with a functional senate, who will moderate their impulses. So they feel free to pass a grab bag of stuff that doesn't even work.
But I'm also sure you're exaggerating the impact of these parts.
I'll read it and get back to you, but first we have to deal with this awful metaphor you just threw out about poison and hamburgers.
Poison kills. Democracy is dead in Wisconsin. It is dead in north carolina, and it is dead in Maryland. It is dead in texas. Democracy almost died in Florida, in California, in ohio, and in Virginia, but it got a bit of a reprieve. The gerrymandering algorithms that exist today can kill democracy as we know it, make a legislative body completely unaccountable to a majority of the people. when I say it is possible to fix gerrymandering, I'm not talking about anything more than what Florida has already done. Drawing district lines will always be controversial. But we can do it in a way that brings all the stakeholders to the table and gives all of them power and influence.