Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Let's Talk About- Political Edition

(04-04-2021, 09:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 09:00 AM)copycat Wrote: Based on what exactly?  Your own biases?

If you think they are doing this for the good of the country and not for their own benefit, I'd say you have a very idealistic view of politicians.

So you do realize that people NOT showing an ID to vote is purely for political reasons.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Identification requirements to vote is racist. 

[Image: border-immigrants-biden-shirts-getty-640x335.jpg]

(04-04-2021, 05:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 04:39 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I know where you stand. You are easily manipulated. They throw in one clause in an otherwise disastrous bill and you go all in. Use your brain. Even if they solve the gerrymandering problem (which they won't), it doesn't justify the EVERYTHING ELSE designed to break our system. You're going to be complicit in the destruction of our Republic. I knew when I made my last post that you would chime in with this nonsense. Your reasoning: Here, drink this poison that will kill you, and I'll throw in a delicious hamburger for FREE.

Show me how I'm exaggerating. Look at what the bill is actually proposing.

I haven't read the bill as much as you have.
I am sure that some of it is intolerable.
You see, the House of Representatives still believes that they are dealing with a functional senate, who will moderate their impulses. So they feel free to pass a grab bag of stuff that doesn't even work.
But I'm also sure you're exaggerating the impact of these parts.
I'll read it and get back to you, but first we have to deal with this awful metaphor you just threw out about poison and hamburgers.
Poison kills. Democracy is dead in Wisconsin. It is dead in north carolina, and it is dead in Maryland. It is dead in texas. Democracy almost died in Florida, in California, in ohio, and in Virginia, but it got a bit of a reprieve. The gerrymandering algorithms that exist today can kill democracy as we know it, make a legislative body completely unaccountable to a majority of the people. when I say it is possible to fix gerrymandering, I'm not talking about anything more than what Florida has already done. Drawing district lines will always be controversial. But we can do it in a way that brings all the stakeholders to the table and gives all of them power and influence.

Gerrymandering does take advantage of a loophole in the system. I have already agreed with you about this. It's a difficult problem that is on the radar, and I have acknowledge that it creates an imbalance in representation. We do need to figure out a way to solve this problem. However, we can see gerrymandering and its effects.  

The "For the People" act is a terrible, terrible piece of legislation that will COMPLETELY remove accountability in our elections. Additionally, there is a provision in that bill that will prohibit complaints to be filed in state courts, and all complaints must be jointly filed in the district courts in DC. This means you can't have multiple lawsuits occurring in multiple states. It creates a bottleneck in which any state can challenge this law, and it significantly decreases the chances of this bill reaching the Supreme Court. If you think gerrymandering is remotely close to what's in the "For the People" Act, you're delusional. 

Read the bill, dude. It's garbage. Pelosi and Schumer have said it is the single most important piece of legislation they are filing. I wonder why.

Still waiting for you to show me how I'm exaggerating.

My kindergartner grandson received a Student of the Month award for “Character Trait: Tolerance/Inclusivity”. He has no idea what those words mean.

- sigh -

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021, 09:36 AM by KingIngram052787.)

(04-06-2021, 08:20 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My kindergartner grandson received a Student of the Month award for “Character Trait: Tolerance/Inclusivity”. He has no idea what those words mean.

- sigh -

Your grandpersonX you racist white supremacist bigot. You clearly forced the male gender onto them!

(04-06-2021, 09:35 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 08:20 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My kindergartner grandson received a Student of the Month award for “Character Trait: Tolerance/Inclusivity”. He has no idea what those words mean.

- sigh -

Your grandpersonX you racist white supremacist bigot. You clearly forced the male gender onto them!

The biological unit has received a certificate of social compliance.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021, 11:03 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(04-04-2021, 09:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You get an ID card at the DMV for $25. 

I had to pay $35 since it included a custom photo.

[Image: with%20girlfriend.jpg]

(04-04-2021, 11:55 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Marty is an advocate for the homeless. His work in the community has shown that year after year.

Hey man ..... the work of an Influencer is sometimes more important than those with boots on the ground !!!  Smile

A reporter tried to nail down Phil Mickelson with a question about Georgia's proposed voting law and the Master's Tournament. Phil being Phil, he deftly sidestepped it and explained on a later question, while looking at the reporter, that he does not get involved in politics because of some trouble he stirred up years ago commenting about California taxes.

Some of these reporters have an agenda, for sure.

(04-06-2021, 03:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A reporter tried to nail down Phil Mickelson with a question about Georgia's proposed voting law and the Master's Tournament. Phil being Phil, he deftly sidestepped it and explained on a later question, while looking at the reporter, that he does not get involved in politics because of some trouble he stirred up years ago commenting about California taxes.

They should have that reporter banned from those sacred grounds forever.

(04-06-2021, 03:34 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A reporter tried to nail down Phil Mickelson with a question about Georgia's proposed voting law and the Master's Tournament. Phil being Phil, he deftly sidestepped it and explained on a later question, while looking at the reporter, that he does not get involved in politics because of some trouble he stirred up years ago commenting about California taxes.

Phil Mickelson is a smart man.  He's not my favorite golfer by any means, but he's gained my respect for keeping away from politics.

The problem is that people are so quick to follow celebrities/pro athletes/etc. like sheep when they give their opinion... as long as it matches their own personal opinion.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-06-2021, 05:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The problem is that people are so quick to follow celebrities/pro athletes/etc. like sheep when they give their opinion... as long as it matches their own personal opinion.

Yep, that's the real issue, not whether some reporter should be banned for asking a particular question. Why's it being asked? Because people somewhere have an interest in what these celebrities think on the issues. Why there's an interest would make a long, compelling article in Psychology Today.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(04-06-2021, 05:32 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 05:18 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The problem is that people are so quick to follow celebrities/pro athletes/etc. like sheep when they give their opinion... as long as it matches their own personal opinion.

Yep, that's the real issue, not whether some reporter should be banned for asking a particular question. Why's it being asked? Because people somewhere have an interest in what these celebrities think on the issues. Why there's an interest would make a long,  compelling article in Psychology Today.

Regarding the media and reporters, they no longer just report the news based on fact.  They are driving an agenda.

CBS "News" is the latest with the false reporting/editing of Governor DeSantis's comments regarding the vaccine distribution here in Florida.

Why is a "sports reporter" asking a golfer a political question when covering a tournament?

I should re-word my comment to say that the problem is that the "news" media whether it's "hard news", "sports news" or "entertainment news" is pushing an agenda and tries to get prominant figures to say something in order to blast it out whether it's a sports figure or a Hollywood actor.  They know that the sheeple will follow whatever they say.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I ask this question a lot. Sadly no one on the left seems to have an answer. 

Link 

"Why can’t we talk about ideology’s role when killers aren’t white?"

Celebrities need to shut up. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...?ocid=AMZN

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2021, 08:37 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(04-06-2021, 07:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Celebrities need to shut up. 

Yes, I am sure consumers will boycott an economy airline and substitute it with a more expensive one in the name of Jim Eagle voting laws.

(04-06-2021, 08:34 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 07:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Celebrities need to shut up. 

Yes, I am sure consumers will boycott an economy airline and substitute it with a more expensive one in the name of Jim Eagle voting laws.

I've never flown Southwest airlines but I've heard they are the best to fly with.

It has to be tough to be hard progressive. I genuinely mean that. You see something that is clearly wrong and needs correction, but your slavishness to what might possibly offend others (and bring condemnation upon yourself, this is what feeds it, let's not kid ourselves) prevents you from taking action.

As Seattle students return to class, homeless encampments at 2 schools stir concerns | KOMO (komonews.com)

One guy even comments his family is already house shopping out of Seattle.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 12:11 PM by mikesez.)

(04-07-2021, 11:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It has to be tough to be hard progressive. I genuinely mean that. You see something that is clearly wrong and needs correction, but your slavishness to what might possibly offend others (and bring condemnation upon yourself, this is what feeds it, let's not kid ourselves) prevents you from taking action.

As Seattle students return to class, homeless encampments at 2 schools stir concerns | KOMO (komonews.com)

I don't understand this comment.  The appropriate short term solution is to force the homeless people to move their tents before school starts again. And the article says that the city of Seattle and the school board will do exactly that.
The long term solutions are more complicated, but either way they're none of the school board's business.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 12:29 PM by homebiscuit.)

(04-07-2021, 12:10 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 11:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It has to be tough to be hard progressive. I genuinely mean that. You see something that is clearly wrong and needs correction, but your slavishness to what might possibly offend others (and bring condemnation upon yourself, this is what feeds it, let's not kid ourselves) prevents you from taking action.

I don't understand this comment.  The appropriate short term solution is to force the homeless people to move their tents before school starts again.  And the article says that the city of Seattle and the school board will do exactly that.
The long term solutions are more complicated, but either way they're none of the school board's business.

The homeless weren't supposed to be there in the first place but were allowed to do so. Why? Because no one in leadership took the initiative to clear them out when they first showed up in direct defiance of the city posted sign which reads "No Camping". 

Instead, leadership let the problem fester until they knew enough public outcry would occur to force them to do their jobs. They intentionally failed to keep the homeless off the school campuses because they were scared of the condemnation they would receive from 'homeless advocates'. Seattle leadership was literally paralyzed by fear.