Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
49ers Move Up in First Round

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2021, 02:02 PM by RicoTx.)

Trade up to the Fins spot presumably for a QB.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3114...ources-say
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-26-2021, 02:01 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Trade up to the Fins spot presumably for a QB.

Wow. 3 first round picks and a third rounder.

(03-26-2021, 05:05 PM)Predator Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 02:01 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Trade up to the Fins spot presumably for a QB.

Wow. 3 first round picks and a third rounder.

That was a boneheaded move by the 49ers. Justin Fields, presumably at #3, is not worth multiple first round picks and will not be an upgrade over Garropolo for at least a couple years. He's a development type of prospect.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(03-27-2021, 10:56 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 05:05 PM)Predator Wrote: Wow. 3 first round picks and a third rounder.

That was a boneheaded move by the 49ers. Justin Fields, presumably at #3, is not worth multiple first round picks and will not be an upgrade over Garropolo for at least a couple years. He's a development type of prospect.

Talk about showing your cards............there's no guarantee Fields will even be available!  They have to be willing to take either him or Wilson with that move.  The Jet's #2 just became a lot more intriguing.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-28-2021, 06:44 AM)s oSneakers Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 10:56 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: That was a boneheaded move by the 49ers. Justin Fields, presumably at #3, is not worth multiple first round picks and will not be an upgrade over Garropolo for at least a couple years. He's a development type of prospect.

Talk about showing your cards............there's no guarantee Fields will even be available!  They have to be willing to take either him or Wilson with that move.  The Jet's #2 just became a lot more intriguing.

To me, the only rational explanation for the move is they have strong positive convictions about three QBs in this draft.  If they were targeting one particular QB, getting up to #3 guaranteed nothing in terms of their availability, as you pointed out. 

As for who is worth such a move, fields may not have been among their top three QBs.  There is speculation that either Lance or Jones are the 49ers intended target.

Because they already have an established QB in Garoppolo, the 49ers were not desperate for a new starter this year.  Because of this, they could get a physically gifted but raw and inexperienced guy like Lance and sit him for a year behind Garoppolo.  Then after the apprenticeship, they could trade away the vet and have Lance for the next few years.

As for Jones, Shanahan had a guy like him in Matt Ryan when he was OC in Atlanta.

But most on these boards who have chimed in have indicated in one form or another the price the 49ers paid was too steep.

How much would you expect to pay in terms of draft choice compensation to trade up for a QB?

Consider in 2001, Atlanta sent the 5th overall pick, their 2001 3rd round pick, their 2002 2nd round pick and KR Tim Dwight to move up to #1 overall for QB Michael Vick.

Consider also in 2004, basically to move up from 4 to 1, the Giants gave up two 1sts (2004-Phillip Rivers and 2005), a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick.

2017 saw three teams trade up in the draft for QBs in the first round:
  • Chicago traded the #3 overall, #67, and #111 to the 49ers to move up one spot for Mitchell Trubisky.
  • Kansas City traded the #27 overall pick, a 2017 3rd round pick, and a 2018 1st round pick to move to 10th overall for Mahomes
  • Houston sent a 2018 first round pick to move up from 25 to 12 for Deshaun Watson
In 2018, to move from 6th overall to 3rd, the Jets sent the Colts the first round pick (#6) and three 2nd round picks-two in 2018 and one in 2019).

Also in 2018, to move from 12 to 7, the Bills gave up their first and two 2nd round picks (53 and 56-after a lot of other maneuvering to get those picks) for Josh Allen.

It seems that if you are going to move up double digit spots or move into the top spot, you should expect to give up at least two #1s.  But the 49ers moved up from 12 to 3 and gave up 3 #1s and a 3rd.  It would seem as though they overpaid, but trade value charts don't necessarily drive the costs...it's the demand.

I think because there is a glut of QBs at the top of this draft, there has been more chatter about trading up into those top spots, which drives up the cost to move into those spots.

I think if Carolina or Denver were to move up to #2, though they are not moving up as far as San Francisco did, they will end up paying more now that the market was set for the #3 pick and the #6 pick.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

There's also the possibility that they might try to move up one more spot. It's possible that the Jets like Fields or Lance as much as they like Wilson. The 9ers might be hoping Fields has a wonderful pro day and the Jets would be amenable to moving back for a price.

(03-27-2021, 10:56 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(03-26-2021, 05:05 PM)Predator Wrote: Wow. 3 first round picks and a third rounder.

I don't think Fields is their target. I believe it is Mac Jones, although it could be Trey Lance.

I think Justin Fields is the pick. There was a time that Fields was a higher ranked player than Trevor Lawrence in senior year of high school, albeit very brief, according to ESPN. I definitely prefer Lawrence but it’s incredible that he’s come to college, played incredible for 2 years and is looked at as the 5th ranked QB prospect. You know, not our problem now but it’s unbelievable how he’s looked at now.

(03-28-2021, 11:31 AM)Black and Teal Wrote: I think Justin Fields is the pick. There was a time that Fields was a higher ranked player than Trevor Lawrence in senior year of high school, albeit very brief, according to ESPN. I definitely prefer Lawrence but it’s incredible that he’s come to college, played incredible for 2 years and is looked at as the 5th ranked QB prospect. You know, not our problem now but it’s unbelievable how he’s looked at now.

I think the top five prospects are all really good prospects.  There isn't one that I think is absolutely overrated with no business being considered up top.  The closest to that would be Mac Jones because of all the surrounding talent he had, but all of the top guys have a lot to offer and would be worth an investment in the first round.

So this ended up being a 3-way trade, once Miami sent some picks to Philly to climb back up.

The question I am still asking, why now? Why not wait until darft day, when you know exactly who is on the table? SF must have nearly identical grades for the top 3 QB on their board. Did they call the Jets, and learn that the second pick wouldn't be traded at any costs? I wonder if there is any pick that could be made at 2 that makes this a disaster for SF. They apparently do not covet one player, or they've done enough homework to believe that their draft crush is still going to be on the board at 3.

I can't remember the last time a first round pick that wasn't R1 P1 was traded before the draft began. Bonkers.

MIA moving up, who do we think is the pick? Chase still? Pitts is probably in the discussion, too, whereas at 3 that was probably too early. Good job on their GM, too, turned Tunsil into 4 first rounders. Amazing.

(03-29-2021, 09:42 AM)Mikey Wrote: So this ended up being a 3-way trade, once Miami sent some picks to Philly to climb back up.

The question I am still asking, why now? Why not wait until darft day, when you know exactly who is on the table? SF must have nearly identical grades for the top 3 QB on their board. Did they call the Jets, and learn that the second pick wouldn't be traded at any costs? I wonder if there is any pick that could be made at 2 that makes this a disaster for SF. They apparently do not covet one player, or they've done enough homework to believe that their draft crush is still going to be on the board at 3.

I can't remember the last time a first round pick that wasn't R1 P1 was traded before the draft began. Bonkers.

MIA moving up, who do we think is the pick? Chase still? Pitts is probably in the discussion, too, whereas at 3 that was probably too early. Good job on their GM, too, turned Tunsil into 4 first rounders. Amazing.

It's gotta be Ja'Marr Chase. I remember the season he had before he opted out and it was amazing. Give Tua a true #1 target and see what he can do. I doubt Pitts is in the discussion, because the Dolphins have Mike Gesicki and he's one of the better young TE's in the NFL. Pair Chase and Gesicki and the Dolphins have some pretty good receiving weapons.

(03-29-2021, 09:42 AM)Mikey Wrote: So this ended up being a 3-way trade, once Miami sent some picks to Philly to climb back up.

DeVonta Smith

(03-29-2021, 12:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

DeVonta Smith

Hey that is fine with me, if I am any other team in the market for a WR.

I kinda wonder if they ended up trading away from Chase, though. Joey B is very familiar with his talents, too, and the Bungles did address OL in free agency.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2021, 05:05 PM by Tank Commander.)

(03-29-2021, 12:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

DeVonta Smith

Yeah sounds like Tua and Miami are set on Deonta Smith but pick #3 was too high to pick him.

(03-28-2021, 08:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 06:44 AM)s oSneakers Wrote: Talk about showing your cards............there's no guarantee Fields will even be available!  They have to be willing to take either him or Wilson with that move.  The Jet's #2 just became a lot more intriguing.

To me, the only rational explanation for the move is they have strong positive convictions about three QBs in this draft.  If they were targeting one particular QB, getting up to #3 guaranteed nothing in terms of their availability, as you pointed out. 

As for who is worth such a move, fields may not have been among their top three QBs.  There is speculation that either Lance or Jones are the 49ers intended target.

Because they already have an established QB in Garoppolo, the 49ers were not desperate for a new starter this year.  Because of this, they could get a physically gifted but raw and inexperienced guy like Lance and sit him for a year behind Garoppolo.  Then after the apprenticeship, they could trade away the vet and have Lance for the next few years.

As for Jones, Shanahan had a guy like him in Matt Ryan when he was OC in Atlanta.

But most on these boards who have chimed in have indicated in one form or another the price the 49ers paid was too steep.

How much would you expect to pay in terms of draft choice compensation to trade up for a QB?

Consider in 2001, Atlanta sent the 5th overall pick, their 2001 3rd round pick, their 2002 2nd round pick and KR Tim Dwight to move up to #1 overall for QB Michael Vick.

Consider also in 2004, basically to move up from 4 to 1, the Giants gave up two 1sts (2004-Phillip Rivers and 2005), a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick.

• Chicago traded the #3 overall, #67, and #111 to the 49ers to move up one spot for Mitchell Trubisky.
  • Kansas City traded the #27 overall pick, a 2017 3rd round pick, and a 2018 1st round pick to move to 10th overall for Mahomes
  • Houston sent a 2018 first round pick to move up from 25 to 12 for Deshaun Watson
In 2018, to move from 6th overall to 3rd, the Jets sent the Colts the first round pick (#6) and three 2nd round picks-two in 2018 and one in 2019).

Also in 2018, to move from 12 to 7, the Bills gave up their first and two 2nd round picks (53 and 56-after a lot of other maneuvering to get those picks) for Josh Allen.

It seems that if you are going to move up double digit spots or move into the top spot, you should expect to give up at least two #1s.  But the 49ers moved up from 12 to 3 and gave up 3 #1s and a 3rd.  It would seem as though they overpaid, but trade value charts don't necessarily drive the costs...it's the demand.

I think because there is a glut of QBs at the top of this draft, there has been more chatter about trading up into those top spots, which drives up the cost to move into those spots.

I think if Carolina or Denver were to move up to #2, though they are not moving up as far as San Francisco did, they will end up paying more now that the market was set for the #3 pick and the #6 pick.

Or they could have just tanked and lost a couple more game and then you wouldn't have to trade the farm.

(03-30-2021, 05:03 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 12:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: DeVonta Smith

Yeah sounds like Tua and Miami are set on Deonta Smith but pick #3 was too high to pick him.

(03-28-2021, 08:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: To me, the only rational explanation for the move is they have strong positive convictions about three QBs in this draft.  If they were targeting one particular QB, getting up to #3 guaranteed nothing in terms of their availability, as you pointed out. 

Or they could have just tanked and lost a couple more game and then you wouldn't have to trade the farm.

Oh you better not let the moralists hear you say this.

(03-28-2021, 08:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 06:44 AM)s oSneakers Wrote: Talk about showing your cards............there's no guarantee Fields will even be available!  They have to be willing to take either him or Wilson with that move.  The Jet's #2 just became a lot more intriguing.

You're right, the have to be sold on at least 3 QBs to make that kind of move.  That being said, does it make sense to pay that much, then sit the guy for a year?  

I don't think the early first round  trading is close to done.  The Jets are the wild card, are they happy with Darnold?  For that matter, are the Lions convinced Goff will develop?  Denver needs a QB and Carolina is desperate.  

I can see the #6 changing hands again.  The Dolphins could be make out like bandits in this draft!  Drop back a couple more spots and still get their #1 target.  Could as many as 5 QBs go in the first 9 picks?

One last thought.  What if the Dolphins aren't sold on Tagovailoa.  They could be high on Lance or Jones, but expect him to be 4th or 5th QB taken, which most experts and mocks predict.  If they trade back to 8th or 9th and take a QB, it will be the rope-a-dope of the century.

(03-31-2021, 07:43 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 08:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: To me, the only rational explanation for the move is they have strong positive convictions about three QBs in this draft.  If they were targeting one particular QB, getting up to #3 guaranteed nothing in terms of their availability, as you pointed out. 

You're right, the have to be sold on at least 3 QBs to make that kind of move.  That being said, does it make sense to pay that much, then sit the guy for a year?  

I don't think the early first round  trading is close to done.  The Jets are the wild card, are they happy with Darnold?  For that matter, are the Lions convinced Goff will develop?  Denver needs a QB and Carolina is desperate.  

I can see the #6 changing hands again.  The Dolphins could be make out like bandits in this draft!  Drop back a couple more spots and still get their #1 target.  Could as many as 5 QBs go in the first 9 picks?

One last thought.  What if the Dolphins aren't sold on Tagovailoa.  They could be high on Lance or Jones, but expect him to be 4th or 5th QB taken, which most experts and mocks predict.  If they trade back to 8th or 9th and take a QB, it will be the rope-a-dope of the century.

As I've said in another post, I am not dissuaded or deterred by the prospect of sitting a QB for his first year if I thought he would be a long term answer at the position.  Too many great QBs have sat for most or all of their rookie years and went on to have hall of fame careers.

I agree with you there is a good chance there will be one more trade for a QB in the top ten.  It very well could be the Dolphins trading back from 6 to 8 or 9.  But I see that happening only one of two ways:  1.  Atlanta doesn't take a QB at 4.  If they don't, then chances are they trade out of that spot.  2.  Mac Jones is the apple of some team's eye and is the 5th QB with a first round grade.  While I don't necessarily see Mac Jones as a top ten QB pick, the Carolina brass worked with him at the Senior Bowl.  They could value him enough to move up to make sure they get him.

I don't think Miami has necessarily soured on Tua, and I think they would be making a mistake if they were.  Nobody seems to be soured on Joe Burrow.  Tua's numbers are virtually identical to his, and he doesn't have anywhere near the skill position support that Burrow has in Cincy.  That said, prior to all of the off field stuff, Watson represented a rare opportunity to substantially upgrade the QB position.  I think accumulating all of these future first round picks enables Miami to do several things:

1.  The picks give them ammo to trade for Watson in the future once all the legal issues clear up;
2.  Those picks enable the Dolphins to give Tua the surrounding talent he needs if they decide to stick with him;
3.  If Watson's legal issues are not cleared to the Dolphins' satisfaction and no trade for him happens, and they somehow sour on Tua, the picks better enable them the ability to trade up in future drafts to get another QB.

Surprising. 49ers went to SB in 2019 with Jimmy G. We carried Bortles to the AFCCG, so maybe they feel the same way with Jimmy G? Doesn't hurt to have quality insurance and afford Jimmy G for a year while grooming, but quite the move here by Lynch.

(03-31-2021, 11:45 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Surprising. 49ers went to SB in 2019 with Jimmy G. We carried Bortles to the AFCCG, so maybe they feel the same way with Jimmy G? Doesn't hurt to have quality insurance and afford Jimmy G for a year while grooming, but quite the move here by Lynch.

Quite possible they view Garoppolo similarly.  Hard to imagine, but possible.

It is a gutsy move by Lynch though.  Fortunately for him, based on his prior work building the 49ers, he has the clout to make it.

(03-31-2021, 10:39 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 07:43 AM)Sneakers Wrote: You're right, the have to be sold on at least 3 QBs to make that kind of move.  That being said, does it make sense to pay that much, then sit the guy for a year?  

As I've said in another post, I am not dissuaded or deterred by the prospect of sitting a QB for his first year if I thought he would be a long term answer at the position.  Too many great QBs have sat for most or all of their rookie years and went on to have hall of fame careers.

I agree with you there is a good chance there will be one more trade for a QB in the top ten.  It very well could be the Dolphins trading back from 6 to 8 or 9.  But I see that happening only one of two ways:  1.  Atlanta doesn't take a QB at 4.  If they don't, then chances are they trade out of that spot.  2.  Mac Jones is the apple of some team's eye and is the 5th QB with a first round grade.  While I don't necessarily see Mac Jones as a top ten QB pick, the Carolina brass worked with him at the Senior Bowl.  They could value him enough to move up to make sure they get him.

I don't think Miami has necessarily soured on Tua, and I think they would be making a mistake if they were.  Nobody seems to be soured on Joe Burrow.  Tua's numbers are virtually identical to his, and he doesn't have anywhere near the skill position support that Burrow has in Cincy.  That said, prior to all of the off field stuff, Watson represented a rare opportunity to substantially upgrade the QB position.  I think accumulating all of these future first round picks enables Miami to do several things:

1.  The picks give them ammo to trade for Watson in the future once all the legal issues clear up;
2.  Those picks enable the Dolphins to give Tua the surrounding talent he needs if they decide to stick with him;
3.  If Watson's legal issues are not cleared to the Dolphins' satisfaction and no trade for him happens, and they somehow sour on Tua, the picks better enable them the ability to trade up in future drafts to get another QB.

It depends who the QB is sitting behind of course.  The problem is you don't find out if he really is the future for another year. 

I see the Jets taking Wilson (unless someone offers up a kings ransom) and Fields goes to San Francisco.  #4 gets interesting and I think Atlanta will get a few phone calls (the first 4 picks all QBs???).   Regardless, they stick with Ryan and Cincinnati gets either Sewell or Pitts.  Burrow is already excited!

Miami is a big winner, taking the guy they wanted anyway,  Ja'marr Chase, at #6 instead of 3.

Panthers plan to settle for Lance get blown up when the Lions make a surprise move, trading #7 to the Bears or the Patriots.