Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
17 Game Season Approved

(04-01-2021, 09:36 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Blasphemy and greed.  Players should boycott and walk out.
You know they make more money too right?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2021, 01:59 PM by SamusAranX.)

(04-01-2021, 12:58 PM)Corriewf Wrote: So for a winning playoff birth season...we talking 10-7 now?

That's what most piques my interest. 

Will the 17 game season wear more teams out? Add in the extra playoff berth, and we may be looking at more 9-8 or 8-9 playoff teams that sneak in on the 6th and 7th seeds. To really ensure playoffs, I am thinking "11 wins and you're practically in" will be the new "ten wins and you're in". Even then, we had a few outlier years where 11-5 didn't get you in. 

That said, winning your division became that much more important too, and divisional games as well. It's preferable to being stuck in a WC scrum and cluster.

(04-01-2021, 01:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 09:36 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Blasphemy and greed.  Players should boycott and walk out.

Not enough to justify it, just my two cents. The owners once again took them for a fleecing

(04-01-2021, 09:33 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 11:58 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: It’s about the money as Vic always said.

Owners don’t make money during the preseason. In the year 2050 preseason will be a thing of the past.

Preseason should be eliminated now. Teams should just conduct scrimmages with other teams. After one regular season game, the dust is shaken off anyway.

I totally agree

(04-01-2021, 01:29 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Why muddle one's outraeg with facts?

(04-01-2021, 12:58 PM)Corriewf Wrote: So for a winning playoff birth season...we talking 10-7 now?

It all depends on the W-L record of the other 15 teams in the Conference.  There's no set Win record that automatically qualifies a team for the playoffs.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic to your question in which the actual answer could vary from year to year and from conference to conference.

(04-05-2021, 12:13 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

It all depends on the W-L record of the other 15 teams in the Conference.  There's no set Win record that automatically qualifies a team for the playoffs.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic to your question in which the actual answer could vary from year to year and from conference to conference.

Ah chaos theory typically lifts some undeserving team into the playoffs each year.. but if we are speaking in general terms, 10-7 or 9-8 gets you in the playoffs? They added two more teams to the playoffs last year to a total of 14. I wonder if we see that bumped to 16+ soon enough. The more “winning” teams the more fan buy in.

I just don't like how this messes with the record books. It waters down the stats some in the future.

(04-05-2021, 02:44 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I just don't like how this messes with the record books. It waters down the stats some in the future.

Should we go back to the 12 game schedule????   Should we go back to the old rules where players could actually hit each other without getting flagged for a 15 yard penalty ???

Everything is watered down.  The 1,000 yard rusher was big during the 12 game season.  The 25 Passing TDs was big before they let QBs and WRs run home free without being hit.   Every stat is watered down with every evolving decade of football.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 05:20 PM by Jag88.)

(04-05-2021, 04:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 02:44 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I just don't like how this messes with the record books. It waters down the stats some in the future.

Should we go back to the 12 game schedule????   Should we go back to the old rules where players could actually hit each other without getting flagged for a 15 yard penalty ???

Everything is watered down.  The 1,000 yard rusher was big during the 12 game season.  The 25 Passing TDs was big before they let QBs and WRs run home free without being hit.   Every stat is watered down with every evolving decade of football.

Yes we should go back to real football when it comes to the stupid penalties.  As far as a 12 game schedule, that's a no. Why? Because it's been the same 16 schedule for a long time so the records that were established  during this time are excepted now as the standard.  For example, 2,000 yards rushing is one of those records that is special. With an extra game in today's game, this will hurt that record. Just saying 

(04-05-2021, 05:18 PM)Jag88 Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 04:25 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Should we go back to the 12 game schedule????   Should we go back to the old rules where players could actually hit each other without getting flagged for a 15 yard penalty ???

Jags88 writes in reply

Yes we should go back to real football when it comes to the stupid penalties.  As far as a 12 game schedule, that's a no. Why? Because it's been the same 16 schedule for a long time so the records that were established  during this time are excepted now as the standard.  For example, 2,000 yards rushing is one of those records that is special. With an extra game in today's game, this will hurt that record. Just saying