Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sam Darnold to the Panthers

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 04:13 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Lol at the Panthers message board.  Most hate the trade but the are just happy to have someone other than Bridgewater lol.  Oh the days of the Teddy fans on this board that thought he was the next Manning and the 2nd best prospect in years behind Luck lol

It's always nice to see another fan board writhe in misery other than the Jags..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Jags fans are biased of course, but which of the below would you rather see as a Panthers fan?

The Darnold deal described above

Trade a 2022 3rd for Minshew

I would take Minshew personally. Less capital to acquire and honestly a higher floor than Darnold. Good for the Jets though!

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 05:35 PM by D6.)

I think the Panthers made a good decision not trading up for a QB this year. The risk / reward didn't appear to be favorable. If Sam Darnold doesn't pan out, it will cost them in the short run. But because they didn't have to give up a 1st Round pick in the trade with the Jets for Darnold, with the overall trade package appearing to be the equivalent of a 2nd Round pick in 2021, they will have the future draft capital to select a QB who realistically will turn out to be a long term solution.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 05:35 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-05-2021, 05:29 PM)D6 Wrote: I think the Panthers made a good decision not trading up for a QB this year. The risk / reward didn't appear to be favorable. If Sam Darnold doesn't pan out, it will cost them in the short run. But because they didn't have to give up a 1st Round Round pick in the trade with the Jets for Darnold, with the overall trade package appearing to be the equivalent of a 2nd Round pick in 2021, they will have the future draft capital to select a QB who realistically will turn out to be a long term solution.

I agree, the Panthers will draft Sewell or Slater most likely to give Sam a nice set of bookends, CM will be back, and he will have Joe Brady. I think the best Darnold we have seen is yet to come

(04-05-2021, 05:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 05:29 PM)D6 Wrote: I think the Panthers made a good decision not trading up for a QB this year. The risk / reward didn't appear to be favorable. If Sam Darnold doesn't pan out, it will cost them in the short run. But because they didn't have to give up a 1st Round Round pick in the trade with the Jets for Darnold, with the overall trade package appearing to be the equivalent of a 2nd Round pick in 2021, they will have the future draft capital to select a QB who realistically will turn out to be a long term solution.

I agree, the Panthers will draft Sewell or Slater most likely to give Sam a nice set of bookends, CM will be back, and he will have Joe Brady. I think the best Darnold we have seen is yet to come

Another possibility is the Panthers selecting the top CB on their draft board. More likely than not, no CB will be drafted with the top 7 picks.

(04-05-2021, 04:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...43176?s=19

Good trade for both teams.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 06:11 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-05-2021, 05:29 PM)D6 Wrote: I think the Panthers made a good decision not trading up for a QB this year. The risk / reward didn't appear to be favorable. If Sam Darnold doesn't pan out, it will cost them in the short run. But because they didn't have to give up a 1st Round pick in the trade with the Jets for Darnold, with the overall trade package appearing to be the equivalent of a 2nd Round pick in 2021, they will have the future draft capital to select a QB who realistically will turn out to be a long term solution.

Exactly.

Thing is, nobody has seen what Darnold can do with help, cincluding coaching.

In Carolina, Darnold will have Rhule as his coach, with a healthy McCaffrey in the backfield, with a better OL, DJ Moore and Robby Anderson at WR.  Whatever shortcomings the Panthers have on offense can be addressed this year.  At 8, they are in a position to take Sewell if he falls, Devonta Smith/Jaylen Waddle, Pitts if he falls, or one of the second tier guys at any of those positions.

From a Jaguars perspective, that means the tackles could come off the board even faster.

(04-05-2021, 05:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Agreed completely.

Now Darnold has enough help to show his stuff.

(04-05-2021, 05:41 PM)D6 Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 05:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I agree, the Panthers will draft Sewell or Slater most likely to give Sam a nice set of bookends, CM will be back, and he will have Joe Brady. I think the best Darnold we have seen is yet to come

Another possibility is the Panthers selecting the top CB on their draft board. More likely than not, no CB will be drafted with the top 7 picks.

Good point, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them go offense to make sure they maximize the chances this trade pays off.

One loser in this trade is Philadelphia.  There was still some thought that one of the top three WRs could fall to them at 12.

The chances of that happening fell dramatically.

The mock now looks something like this:

1.  Jaguars:  Trevor Lawrence
2.  Jets:  Zack Wilson
3.  49ers:  Jones or Fields
4.  Atlanta:  Fields or Pitts
5.  Bengals:  Sewell, Pitts, or Chase
6.  Miami:  Chase, Pitts, Sewell
7.  Lions:  Chase, Waddle, or Parsons
8.  Panthers:  Sewell, Waddle, Smith, or Slater
9.  Denver:  Lance, Fields, Slater, or Surtain
10.  Dallas:  Surtain, Horn, Slater
11.  N.Y. Giants:  D. Smith, Waddle, Parsons
12.  Eagles:  Slater, Darrisaw, D, Smith, J. Waddle, Horn

(04-05-2021, 06:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 05:29 PM)D6 Wrote: I think the Panthers made a good decision not trading up for a QB this year. The risk / reward didn't appear to be favorable. If Sam Darnold doesn't pan out, it will cost them in the short run. But because they didn't have to give up a 1st Round pick in the trade with the Jets for Darnold, with the overall trade package appearing to be the equivalent of a 2nd Round pick in 2021, they will have the future draft capital to select a QB who realistically will turn out to be a long term solution.

Exactly.

Thing is, nobody has seen what Darnold can do with help, cincluding coaching.

In Carolina, Darnold will have Rhule as his coach, with a healthy McCaffrey in the backfield, with a better OL, DJ Moore and Robby Anderson at WR.  Whatever shortcomings the Panthers have on offense can be addressed this year.  At 8, they are in a position to take Sewell if he falls, Devonta Smith/Jaylen Waddle, Pitts if he falls, or one of the second tier guys at any of those positions.

From a Jaguars perspective, that means the tackles could come off the board even faster.

(04-05-2021, 05:33 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I agree, the Panthers will draft Sewell or Slater most likely to give Sam a nice set of bookends, CM will be back, and he will have Joe Brady. I think the best Darnold we have seen is yet to come

Agreed completely.

Now Darnold has enough help to show his stuff.

It's indeed a good spot for the Panthers to be in. 

My guess at this time is the Panthers decision, if they keep pick # 8,  will be between one of the top Tackles, including Christian Darrisaw, and CB Patrick Surtain II.  Darrisaw's longer arm length jumps out. If Kyle Pitts unexpectedly drops to pick # 8, Pitts probably becomes the favorite for the selection.

(04-05-2021, 06:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 05:41 PM)D6 Wrote: Another possibility is the Panthers selecting the top CB on their draft board. More likely than not, no CB will be drafted with the top 7 picks.

Good point, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them go offense to make sure they maximize the chances this trade pays off.

One loser in this trade is Philadelphia.  There was still some thought that one of the top three WRs could fall to them at 12.

One additional concern for the Eagles, if they are hoping to get one of the top WRs in the draft, is a team trading up ahead of them to draft a WR. New England ( # 15 ), Miami ( # 18) -if they address another position with the pick # 6 draft resource ), and Tennessee ( # 22 ), come to mind as teams that realistically could have interest in trading up for one of the top WRs in the draft.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 07:11 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-05-2021, 06:54 PM)D6 Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 06:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Good point, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them go offense to make sure they maximize the chances this trade pays off.

One additional concern for the Eagles, if they are hoping to get one of the top WRs in the draft, is a team trading up ahead of them to draft a WR. New England ( # 15 ), Miami ( # 18) -if they address another position with the pick # 6 draft resource ), and Tennessee ( # 22 ), come to mind as teams that realistically could have interest in trading up for one of the top WRs in the draft.

Absolutely.

The question for Detroit is how far they want to trade down. 

Depending on what QB(s) are on the board, they could trade back twice:  once with Denver who would trade up to prevent a NE, Washington or Chicago from trading up for a QB, and then with one of those teams looking for one of the WRs. If Detroit traded back with Philly in that second trade, they could still end up with a guy like Parsons.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 07:35 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-05-2021, 06:44 PM)D6 Wrote: It's indeed a good spot for the Panthers to be in. 

I would have thought so, too.

But based on what I'm reading on a Panthers' board, Panthers fans hate the trade.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/topic/169...3#comments

Some of them seem to think they will be a strong candidate for the top pick overall next year.

(04-05-2021, 07:01 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 06:54 PM)D6 Wrote: One additional concern for the Eagles, if they are hoping to get one of the top WRs in the draft, is a team trading up ahead of them to draft a WR. New England ( # 15 ), Miami ( # 18) -if they address another position with the pick # 6 draft resource ), and Tennessee ( # 22 ), come to mind as teams that realistically could have interest in trading up for one of the top WRs in the draft.

Absolutely.

The question for Detroit is how far they want to trade down. 

Depending on what QB(s) are on the board, they could trade back twice:  once with Denver who would trade up to prevent a NE, Washington or Chicago from trading up for a QB, and then with one of those teams looking for one of the WRs.  If Detroit traded back with Philly in that second trade, they could still end up with a guy like Parsons.

Unless there are one or two players that jump out on the Lions draft board when the clock begins on pick # 7, I believe Lions new GM Brad Holmes would be comfortable going down to pick # 9. The same regarding from # 9 to # 12 and very possibly much further down. Because Holmes contributed greatly to the Rams high level track record with middle Round Picks, I think under most scenarios he would be looking to trade down if the trade compensation was good enough.

My gut feeling is that if Micah Parsons was still available with pick # 12 and that all the top projected WRs were gone, Holmes would make a strong effort to trade down one or more times. With Kentucky LB Jamin Davis being seriously considered later in the 1st Round, very early in Round 2, or if he lasted to the Lions 2nd Round Pick ( # 41 ).  LSU LB Jabril Cox probably has a better chance of lasting to pick # 41. He could be of interest if Davis is gone. 

At this point of the off-season, Safety appears to be the most glaring need on the Lions. Trading much further down in Round 1, then drafting a Safety,  or using a 2nd Round pick on a Safety, is at the very least a realistic possibility.

(04-05-2021, 07:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 06:44 PM)D6 Wrote: It's indeed a good spot for the Panthers to be in. 

I would have thought so, too.

But based on what I'm reading on a Panthers' board, Panthers fans hate the trade.

Some of them seem to think they will be a strong candidate for the top pick overall next year.

The reaction of many of the Carolina Panthers fans is a great example of the high level of subjectivity with most trades, draft decisions, and roster evaluation.  

By no means am I viewing the Panthers as a legit 2021 season Super Bowl contender heading into the 2021 Draft. Yet, with the strong foundation they have on Defense, and some key pieces in place on Offense,  the thought of the Panthers being a bottom 5 team this coming season never even came to mind.

I find it rather telling that the Panthers would rather have Sam Darnold over Justin Fields or Trey Lance.

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 08:52 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-05-2021, 08:08 PM)D6 Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 07:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I would have thought so, too.

The reaction of many of the Carolina Panthers fans is a great example of the high level of subjectivity with most trades, draft decisions, and roster evaluation.  

By no means am I viewing the Panthers as a legit 2021 season Super Bowl contender heading into the 2021 Draft. Yet, with the strong foundation they have on Defense, and some key pieces in place on Offense,  the thought of the Panthers being a bottom 5 team this coming season never even came to mind.
Precisely.

Unless they have an ungodly amount of injuries, I see no way they are a bottom five team.

(04-05-2021, 08:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I find it rather telling that the Panthers would rather have Sam Darnold over Justin Fields or Trey Lance.

I'm not sure if it's an indictment of them as much as it is an indictment of the cost to trade up to get them.

I wonder if Teddy Bridgewater goes to the Texans.....

(04-05-2021, 10:10 PM)ATLjag Wrote: I wonder if Teddy Bridgewater goes to the Texans.....

I would guess not, since they signed Tyrod Taylor.