Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Potentially Interesting Twist at TE

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 09:35 PM by Bullseye.)

On youtube, there is a guy who goes by UCF Jaguar (who used to post here IIRC) who has a show. 

Tonight, he live streamed an interview with WR Collin Johnson.

One of the questions he posed to Collin was regarding the TE position.  Specifically. he mentioned the need at TE and how the fans have speculated about Johnson possibly bulking up and playing TE.

Johnson indicated he had played all over, including at F, the very TE position Meyer says the team still needs to address.  Johnson said he was okay with it and willing to try it.

Here is the interview.

https://youtu.be/LtgtWlQkSrk

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yea I watch him sometimes. Seems like a decent guy. Thanks for the take. This team looks in dire straits right now at tight end.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(04-07-2021, 09:38 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Yea I watch him sometimes.  Seems like a decent guy.  Thanks for the take.  This team looks in dire straits right now at tight end.

I agree.

It's nice to know he'd be willing to do that, though at the moment I hope we don't see it.

If he is making the move to TE, it likely means we didn't draft the guy we wanted at the position, and were not able to work out a trade for a vet.

(04-07-2021, 09:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 09:38 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Yea I watch him sometimes.  Seems like a decent guy.  Thanks for the take.  This team looks in dire straits right now at tight end.

I agree.

It's nice to know he'd be willing to do that, though at the moment I hope we don't see it.

If he is making the move to TE, it likely means we didn't draft the guy we wanted at the position, and were not able to work out a trade for a vet.
The team should invest in a guy with one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks.  The best way to help a young QB is to have an outlet target in the middle.  Without Kelce, Mahomes isn't the same player.  Will they is the question.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(04-07-2021, 09:58 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 09:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I agree.

The team should invest in a guy with one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks.  The best way to help a young QB is to have an outlet target in the middle.  Without Kelce, Mahomes isn't the same player.  Will they is the question.

I think the key will be what happens with Friermuth.  25 and perhaps 33 would make Friermuth a reach, but he might be gone by 45.  If the team can't get Friermuth by 45, I think they shift to getting a vet via trade.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 05:37 AM by The Real Marty.)

About Collin Johnson at TE-

A WR who lines up at TE is still a WR.  The beauty of the TE position is that the defense doesn't know if he's going to be a receiver, or a lineman.  The defense doesn't know if he's going to be blocking or going out for a pass.  

Look at Rob Gronkowski.  That's a TE.  If Collin Johnson can annihilate a LB like Rob Gronkowski can, then he can be a TE.  Otherwise, he's a WR.  

So, bottom line, I am very skeptical about the idea of bulking up a WR and calling him a TE.

(04-08-2021, 05:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: About Collin Johnson at TE-

A WR who lines up at TE is still a WR.  The beauty of the TE position is that the defense doesn't know if he's going to be a receiver, or a lineman.  The defense doesn't know if he's going to be blocking or going out for a pass.  

Look at Rob Gronkowski.  That's a TE.  If Collin Johnson can annihilate a LB like Rob Gronkowski can, then he can be a TE.  Otherwise, he's a WR.  

So, bottom line, I am very skeptical about the idea of bulking up a WR and calling him a TE.

Shannon Sharpe began his career as a WR, bulked up and moved to TE.

I, too am skeptical he could make the move-at least in a way that really helps the Jaguars in any significant way this year.  But such a move is NOT without successful precedent.

I’ve always viewed true TEs as something more than a big body receiver. They have a more warrior-like mindset; making catches in thick hostile territory, taking brutal hits, casting off tacklers and providing blocks. A WR may be able to make themselves fit the physical mold, but can they adapt to mental aspect of the position?

(04-08-2021, 06:53 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ve always viewed true TEs as something more than a big body receiver. They have a more warrior-like mindset; making catches in thick hostile territory, taking brutal hits, casting off tacklers and providing blocks. A WR may be able to make themselves fit the physical mold, but can they adapt to mental aspect of the position?

I agree.  That's why it's best to get a TE who's played TE all his life.  He's developed that mindset over years of violent physical conflict.

(04-08-2021, 06:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

And my personal favorite. Ernest Wilford.

^ This ^
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-08-2021, 05:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: About Collin Johnson at TE-

Yeah, if he can't be the greatest dual threat TE of all time he's a WR!

I don’t want my WR playing TE. I want a TE that can block and catch. If I have to ride with O’Shaugnessey then that’s what I’ll do.

The bottom line is our offense has never revolved around the TE. We’ve always been blessed with a great RB and mediocre WRs (except for Jimmy, Keenan, ARob).

I think Lewis and maybe Brady has been the only Pro Bowlers.

Of course Johnson is saying he is willing to try it because he’s not a starter and he’s looking for starter type money. And it makes him more valuable when it’s time to make cuts. When Wilford moves to TE he was plain ol Ernest Wilford. Still heavy footed but he did atleast catch the ball.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 05:29 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(04-08-2021, 06:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

I, too am skeptical he could make the move-at least in a way that really helps the Jaguars in any significant way this year.  But such a move is NOT without successful precedent.

I also don't see Darren Waller knocking anybody around.  It's a different world.  Go 3-wide and add a TE and that means the LB likely needs to guard the TE --- there's a mismatch right there if Collin Johnson lines up at TE.  Also, now that LBs are 220 pounds, Collin may be able to knock them on their [BLEEP].

I said it before and I'll say it again.  Reggie Williams could have been a heck of a TE.  That dude was fearless and he would have looked fast vs LBs.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 06:35 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-08-2021, 05:00 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I don’t want my WR playing TE. I want a TE that can block and catch. If I have to ride with O’Shaugnessey then that’s what I’ll do.

The bottom line is our offense has never revolved around the TE. We’ve always been blessed with a great RB and mediocre WRs (except for Jimmy, Keenan, ARob).

I think Lewis and maybe Brady has been the only Pro Bowlers.

Of course Johnson is saying he is willing to try it because he’s not a starter and he’s looking for starter type money. And it makes him more valuable when it’s time to make cuts. When Wilford moves to TE he was plain ol Ernest Wilford. Still heavy footed but he did atleast catch the ball.

lol, hes going into his 2nd year.  I think he is just saying that and willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win

Id try it a few times in camp just to see how it turns out. The main thing for this to work would be how good is his blocking. Not many LB's would be able to cover him thats for sure

As I think about it, his willingness to add weight and switch positions may be key to his remaining on the roster.

UM has stated he wanted to add speed to the WR room. Now the team added Marvin Jones and Phillip Dorsett, but I can't believe either are what UM is looking for at the position.

Jones is a good WR and addition to the roster, but at this stage of his career, he's not a speed guy IMO.

Dorsett has the speed UM is looking for. Always has. But considering he was a first round pick has played with both Andrew Luck and Tom Brady, he has been one of the least productive WRs in quite some time.

Accordingly, it would not be a surprise to see the team add another speed WR relatively early in 3 weeks, especially since Baalke mentioned they would draft BAP wholly irrespective of need.

A look at the WR group...

Chark
Shenault
M. Jones
Phillip Dorsett
Collin Johnson
Jamal Agnew
Terry Godwin
Josh Hammond
JonVea Johnson

i think it safe to assume Chark and Viska are locks.
Agnew has an edge because he has return ability.

If the team adds a speed WR relatively early in the draft, he'll likely have a spot.

Then there's Marvin Jones and Dorsett. That's six WRs before even getting to Johnson, and ignoring the other guys.

I can't imagine we'll keep more than 6 WRs on the roster.

Of the WRs, at 6-6, he's the only one who could remotely convert to TE, the weakest position on the offense.

Make no mistake, I like what I saw of Collin Johnson last year at WR. I think if given a chance, he could be a productive WR on the team. But given the priority Meyer has placed on speed at the position, I wonder whether Johnson will get that chance.

If he could add 15-20 lbs without losing speed and quickness, he could provide the receiving threat this team has needed once he got a better grasp at the position. It may be a move borne of desperation on both parts. But it may be his best chance at making the team, and depending on how the draft goes or doesn't go, he may be the team's best chance at addressing the position.

(04-08-2021, 08:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: As I think about it, his willingness to add weight and switch positions may be key to his remaining on the roster.

UM has stated he wanted to add speed to the WR room.  Now the team added Marvin Jones and Phillip Dorsett, but I can't believe either are what UM is looking for at the position.

Jones is a good WR and addition to the roster, but at this stage of his career, he's not a speed guy IMO.

Dorsett has the speed UM is looking for.  Always has.  But considering he was a first round pick  has played with both Andrew Luck and Tom Brady, he has been one of the least productive WRs in quite some time.

Accordingly, it would not be a surprise to see the team add another speed WR relatively early in 3 weeks, especially since Baalke mentioned they would draft BAP wholly irrespective of need.

Chark
Shenault
M. Jones
Phillip Dorsett
Collin Johnson
Jamal Agnew
Terry Godwin
Josh Hammond
JonVea Johnson

If the team adds a speed WR relatively early in the draft, he'll likely have a spot.

Then there's Marvin Jones and Dorsett.  That's six WRs before even getting to Johnson, and ignoring the other guys.

Of the WRs, at 6-6, he's the only one who could remotely convert to TE, the weakest position on the offense.

Make no mistake, I like what I saw of Collin Johnson last year at WR.  I think if given a chance, he could be a productive WR on the team.  But given the priority Meyer has placed on speed at the position, I wonder whether Johnson will get that chance.

If he could add 15-20 lbs without losing speed and quickness, he could provide the receiving threat this team has needed once he got a better grasp at the position.  It may be a move borne of desperation on both parts.  But it may be his best chance at making the team, and depending on how the draft goes or doesn't go, he may be the team's best chance at addressing the position.
It's not just about adding weight, but blocking ability as well

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2021, 11:08 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-08-2021, 10:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 08:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote: As I think about it, his willingness to add weight and switch positions may be key to his remaining on the roster.

UM has stated he wanted to add speed to the WR room.  Now the team added Marvin Jones and Phillip Dorsett, but I can't believe either are what UM is looking for at the position.

Dorsett has the speed UM is looking for.  Always has.  But considering he was a first round pick  has played with both Andrew Luck and Tom Brady, he has been one of the least productive WRs in quite some time.

Chark
Shenault
M. Jones
Phillip Dorsett
Collin Johnson
Jamal Agnew
Terry Godwin
Josh Hammond
JonVea Johnson

Then there's Marvin Jones and Dorsett.  That's six WRs before even getting to Johnson, and ignoring the other guys.

Make no mistake, I like what I saw of Collin Johnson last year at WR.  I think if given a chance, he could be a productive WR on the team.  But given the priority Meyer has placed on speed at the position, I wonder whether Johnson will get that chance.

If he could add 15-20 lbs without losing speed and quickness, he could provide the receiving threat this team has needed once he got a better grasp at the position.  It may be a move borne of desperation on both parts.  But it may be his best chance at making the team, and depending on how the draft goes or doesn't go, he may be the team's best chance at addressing the position.
It's not just about adding weight, but blocking ability as well
Adding the weight is designed to aid in blocking in this instance.  if he stayed at 220 or so, he'd get completely ragdolled at the LOS by DEs and OLBs and would be hard pressed to move anyone off the ball.

(04-08-2021, 05:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 06:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Shannon Sharpe began his career as a WR, bulked up and moved to TE.

I also don't see Darren Waller knocking anybody around.  It's a different world.  Go 3-wide and add a TE and that means the LB likely needs to guard the TE --- there's a mismatch right there if Collin Johnson lines up at TE.  Also, now that LBs are 220 pounds, Collin may be able to knock them on their [BLEEP].

I said it before and I'll say it again.  Reggie Williams could have been a heck of a TE.  That dude was fearless and he would have looked fast vs LBs.

I remember reading that during a practice that had officials, one of the officials came up to JDR and commented on the TE...and he was talking about Reggie.

Ozzie Newsome made the switch from college WR to NFL TE, as did Shannon Sharpe.

I know it can be done.

(04-08-2021, 11:06 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 10:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's not just about adding weight, but blocking ability as well
Adding the weight is designed to aid in blocking in this instance.  if he stayed at 220 or so, he'd get completely ragdolled at the LOS by DEs and OLBs and would be hard pressed to move anyone off the ball.

(04-08-2021, 05:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I also don't see Darren Waller knocking anybody around.  It's a different world.  Go 3-wide and add a TE and that means the LB likely needs to guard the TE --- there's a mismatch right there if Collin Johnson lines up at TE.  Also, now that LBs are 220 pounds, Collin may be able to knock them on their [BLEEP].

I remember reading that during a practice that had officials, one of the officials came up to JDR and commented on the TE...and he was talking about Reggie.

Ozzie Newsome made the switch from college WR to NFL TE, as did Shannon Sharpe.

I know it can be done.
I agree, he needs to add weight but he still has to be able to block.  One can add weight and not be a good enough blocker to play the position

Blake Bortles could have been a hell of a te. Johnson not so much. Bortles had experience as a Te. No idea if he could catch js.