Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Random Musings

Just some thoughts three weeks before the draft.

1.  As much was we debate on this message board, I agree with th poster who said Trevor Lawrence has silenced much of the pre draft debate.  Usually at this time we would have fought about tanking, who should be drafted and why, etc.  We have none of that.  Those who argued that draft position is overrated haven't made a peep about it this year.  Just about everyone has stated we are glad that we've gotten the #1 overall pick without having to trade up for it.  Ordinarily, I LOVE the debates on the board.  Most of the posters here are good for counter points and good observations, even if I don't agree on a given subject and it makes for interesting discussion.  But make no mistake, I'd much rather have a relatively harmonious and quiet board for now with the knowledge we'll get Trevor Lawrence in less than three freaking weeks!  If he plays like most people believe he will, the board traffic and dialogue will pick up rremendously in time.

2.  I think the Jaguars fan base has come a long way over the years.  For a long time, I lamented the rampant Gator homerism that dominated the fan base.  I'm talking the kind of Gator homerism that led to a 3 minute standing ovation for Chris Doering for a 2 yard, non scoring, non first down producing, nondescript catch in the 3rd quarter of a preseason game.  I'm talking the kind of homerism that led to GatorSkins, BroncGators, and Tebow petitions to the President.  But for the past few years, it's been quite common for fans to lament the possible drafting of a Gator player.  Perhaps not enough to hang banners across I-95, but it's enough for people to take notice.

3.  More than any coach I can recall, I am interested to see what the offensive approach will be.  Perhaps because we are hiring a successful college coach with no NFL experience as opposed to our other coaches who all had healthy NFL resumes when hired.  Perhaps because I didn't follow the Gator or OSU programs especially closely.  But I would really like to learn more about his offensive approach, how it will be run by a long time NFL offensive coordinator in Bevell, how it will be stocked, etc.  I guess the same curiosity is piqued defensively, since, for the first time in our team's history, we'll run a 3-4.

4.  It's unfortunate the Jaguars haven't been very successful on the field over the past 15-20 years, because despite the myriad complaints fans have voiced over the years, the Jaguars have always treated me well, and have been far more receptive to fan complaints than they've been given credit for.  I thought the wall of fame acknowledging long time season ticket holders was great, the video boards are amazing, and I've gotten a lot of swag from them over the years, including a full sized autographed replica helmet (Paul Posluzny) and an autographed mini helmet (Calais Campbell)  But besides the great memories, I think the best thing I ever got from them came today, after I told them I could not renew due to health issues.  On my doorstep, there were flowers delivered saying I will always be a part of the Jaguars family.  I'm a guy...I'm not big on getting flowers, but that was an astonishing touch by a team that didn't have to extend such a courtesy.  I wasn't a suite or even a club seat holder.  I was in many cases in the cheapest seats in the house.  I preface my closing of this paragraph by stating in this time of covid, I urge you to let your health and safety govern your decisions.  That said, if you haven't been a season ticket holder before, and have the means to do so, and your health would not be endangered by attending the games, this would be a great time for you to get season tickets.  The team is adding a guy with the potential to not only be the best QB in team history, but a hall of famer.  If all goes well, the Jaguars will offer an exciting brand of football for years to come.  But on top of that, based on my experiences, you'll be treated exceptionally well by the organization.

More to come...

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Thanks for great posts Bullseye. Getting older sucks. I really hope the franchise, fans and ownership get real success. We started well but have had a lot of heartache. I love Jacksonville and all my kids were born there. It is a bummer sometimes that we had to move for work.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Yeah I have enjoyed this draft more than any other draft... ever. And it has little to do with getting the first pick. Obviously getting the opportunity to draft Trevor Lawrence is fun in itself, but this team has a blank canvas to mold the team however we want—with legitimate draft capital! The debate on getting weapons for Trevor, acquiring personnel for the 3-4 switch, BAP, needs base, moving up, or moving down. With all the draft picks we have, it’s made it more fun to hypothesize on roster constructing. If we just had the first pick, this would be fun still. But we could take away our natural picks and still have a whole ‘nother draft to play with.

Sorry to hear about your health issues, Bullseye. I'll try to pick up the slack for you at the games. I was a season ticket holder for a long time, but a variety of circumstances kept me from buying season tickets for the last few years. This year, however, I will be back in the stadium, since the world will still be shut down and I will have no place else to go.

As far as this message board goes, I expect all hell to break loose when we finally make our draft picks. People who spend a lot of time analyzing prospects, watching game tape, and doing mock drafts get entrenched in their own draft strategy and favorite picks and there will be a lot of complaining and condemning when our picks are finally in and their favorite players are not chosen by our team. It happens every year. I can even tell you who it'll be doing the complaining.

But I'm enjoying this message board more than ever this year. It seems like we're limited to a core group of posters who are pretty knowledgeable. And you are definitely the MVP of the past month or two.

Another Random musing...

5. Make no mistake, I do not expect the Jaguars to trade out of #1, nor do I want them to do so. But once the pick has been made, I would like to know what kind of offers they received for the pick. I wonder if teams would try harder to get into that pick, or are teams so convinced that the Jaguars will take Trevor Lawrence they won't bother to make any serious offers.

Sorry about your health issues. I know this franchise has always tried to do the right thing for the city and the fans even when they're not always given credit for it due to their lack of success on the field. WHEN the Jags become perennial contenders, the passion will be undeniable. I've been a STH since day one myself but I know I won't be able to renew forever and hope to see them make another run for a Superbowl while I'm still able to go to the games. Very hopeful that this new staff with the upcoming draft class will be able to get it turned around sooner rather than later.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(04-09-2021, 05:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Just some thoughts three weeks before the draft.

1.  As much was we debate on this message board, I agree with th poster who said Trevor Lawrence has silenced much of the pre draft debate.  Usually at this time we would have fought about tanking, who should be drafted and why, etc.  We have none of that.  Those who argued that draft position is overrated haven't made a peep about it this year.  Just about everyone has stated we are glad that we've gotten the #1 overall pick without having to trade up for it.  Ordinarily, I LOVE the debates on the board.  Most of the posters here are good for counter points and good observations, even if I don't agree on a given subject and it makes for interesting discussion.  But make no mistake, I'd much rather have a relatively harmonious and quiet board for now with the knowledge we'll get Trevor Lawrence in less than three freaking weeks!  If he plays like most people believe he will, the board traffic and dialogue will pick up rremendously in time.

2.  I think the Jaguars fan base has come a long way over the years.  For a long time, I lamented the rampant Gator homerism that dominated the fan base.  I'm talking the kind of Gator homerism that led to a 3 minute standing ovation for Chris Doering for a 2 yard, non scoring, non first down producing, nondescript catch in the 3rd quarter of a preseason game.  I'm talking the kind of homerism that led to GatorSkins, BroncGators, and Tebow petitions to the President.  But for the past few years, it's been quite common for fans to lament the possible drafting of a Gator player.  Perhaps not enough to hang banners across I-95, but it's enough for people to take notice.

3.  More than any coach I can recall, I am interested to see what the offensive approach will be.  Perhaps because we are hiring a successful college coach with no NFL experience as opposed to our other coaches who all had healthy NFL resumes when hired.  Perhaps because I didn't follow the Gator or OSU programs especially closely.  But I would really like to learn more about his offensive approach, how it will be run by a long time NFL offensive coordinator in Bevell, how it will be stocked, etc.  I guess the same curiosity is piqued defensively, since, for the first time in our team's history, we'll run a 3-4.

4.  It's unfortunate the Jaguars haven't been very successful on the field over the past 15-20 years, because despite the myriad complaints fans have voiced over the years, the Jaguars have always treated me well, and have been far more receptive to fan complaints than they've been given credit for.  I thought the wall of fame acknowledging long time season ticket holders was great, the video boards are amazing, and I've gotten a lot of swag from them over the years, including a full sized autographed replica helmet (Paul Posluzny) and an autographed mini helmet (Calais Campbell)  But besides the great memories, I think the best thing I ever got from them came today, after I told them I could not renew due to health issues.  On my doorstep, there were flowers delivered saying I will always be a part of the Jaguars family.  I'm a guy...I'm not big on getting flowers, but that was an astonishing touch by a team that didn't have to extend such a courtesy.  I wasn't a suite or even a club seat holder.  I was in many cases in the cheapest seats in the house.  I preface my closing of this paragraph by stating in this time of covid, I urge you to let your health and safety govern your decisions.  That said, if you haven't been a season ticket holder before, and have the means to do so, and your health would not be endangered by attending the games, this would be a great time for you to get season tickets.  The team is adding a guy with the potential to not only be the best QB in team history, but a hall of famer.  If all goes well, the Jaguars will offer an exciting brand of football for years to come.  But on top of that, based on my experiences, you'll be treated exceptionally well by the organization.

More to come...
Thanks for this post. My favorite part is that the Jaguars sent you flowers and a nice note. That was very classy of them!

(04-10-2021, 05:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Sorry to hear about your health issues, Bullseye.   I'll try to pick up the slack for you at the games.  I was a season ticket holder for a long time, but a variety of circumstances kept me from buying season tickets for the last few years.  This year, however, I will be back in the stadium, since the world will still be shut down and I will have no place else to go.  

As far as this message board goes, I expect all hell to break loose when we finally make our draft picks.  People who spend a lot of time analyzing prospects, watching game tape, and doing mock drafts get entrenched in their own draft strategy and favorite picks and there will be a lot of complaining and condemning when our picks are finally in and their favorite players are not chosen by our team.  It happens every year.  I can even tell you who it'll be doing the complaining.  

But I'm enjoying this message board more than ever this year.  It seems like we're limited to a core group of posters who are pretty knowledgeable.  And you are definitely the MVP of the past month or two.

1.  Thanks.   Greatly appreciated.   To be clear, I referenced it for context, not to elicit concern or sympathy from you guys.  It's not as if I got a terminal diagnosis or anything.  Many on here have been through far worse.  It's just bad enough to complicate some things.  Besides we all have better things to discuss than my health and flowers on a message board!   Laughing

2.  Thanks for that.  Did I trigger any incentives in my contract for that?  I want to re-negotiate my deal.  (I can see the board now..."get rid of the overrated bum.  He isn't worth it."   Laughing)

(04-10-2021, 05:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: As far as this message board goes, I expect all hell to break loose when we finally make our draft picks.  People who spend a lot of time analyzing prospects, watching game tape, and doing mock drafts get entrenched in their own draft strategy and favorite picks and there will be a lot of complaining and condemning when our picks are finally in and their favorite players are not chosen by our team.  It happens every year.  I can even tell you who it'll be doing the complaining.  

I think so too.  I know it happens every year, but I think this year will be worse.  There's just so many different directions we can go and I can see that opinions on here are all over the place.  It brings up the question of who could the Jaguars select at #25 that would be broadly liked (assuming realistic options)?  Christian Barmore may fare better than most, but I've seen some people say they don't like him.  Some will also say that we need offensive play makers.  Trevon Moehrig is a frequent selection in mock drafts for us, but people will say it's too early for safety.  Ditto times 100 if it's a running back.  Pat Freiermuth would fill a huge need, but would be criticized for being a huge reach.  Someone like JOK would be hated for being a bad scheme fit.  The positions of wide receiver and offensive tackle might do well, but I'm sure many will argue that we selected the wrong wide receiver/tackle.  I've seen vastly different player rankings for those positions on here.  

I'm projecting a massive amount of hate this year around our draft class.  Of course, there will also be a flock of sheep who will love every draft pick no matter how bad it is.

(04-10-2021, 11:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 05:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Sorry to hear about your health issues, Bullseye.   I'll try to pick up the slack for you at the games.  I was a season ticket holder for a long time, but a variety of circumstances kept me from buying season tickets for the last few years.  This year, however, I will be back in the stadium, since the world will still be shut down and I will have no place else to go.  

As far as this message board goes, I expect all hell to break loose when we finally make our draft picks.  People who spend a lot of time analyzing prospects, watching game tape, and doing mock drafts get entrenched in their own draft strategy and favorite picks and there will be a lot of complaining and condemning when our picks are finally in and their favorite players are not chosen by our team.  It happens every year.  I can even tell you who it'll be doing the complaining.  

But I'm enjoying this message board more than ever this year.  It seems like we're limited to a core group of posters who are pretty knowledgeable.  And you are definitely the MVP of the past month or two.

1.  Thanks.   Greatly appreciated.   To be clear, I referenced it for context, not to elicit concern or sympathy from you guys.  It's not as if I got a terminal diagnosis or anything.  Many on here have been through far worse.  It's just bad enough to complicate some things.  Besides we all have better things to discuss than my health and flowers on a message board!   Laughing

2.  Thanks for that.  Did I trigger any incentives in my contract for that?  I want to re-negotiate my deal.  (I can see the board now..."get rid of the overrated bum.  He isn't worth it."   Laughing)

Humble as always. I still wish you good health. You're my favorite poster on the board. I always look forward to your insights.

(04-10-2021, 07:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 11:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  Thanks.   Greatly appreciated.   To be clear, I referenced it for context, not to elicit concern or sympathy from you guys.  It's not as if I got a terminal diagnosis or anything.  Many on here have been through far worse.  It's just bad enough to complicate some things.  Besides we all have better things to discuss than my health and flowers on a message board!   Laughing

Humble as always. I still wish you good health. You're my favorite poster on the board. I always look forward to your insights.

Seconded ^

(04-10-2021, 05:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: As far as this message board goes, I expect all hell to break loose when we finally make our draft picks. People who spend a lot of time analyzing prospects, watching game tape, and doing mock drafts get entrenched in their own draft strategy and favorite picks and there will be a lot of complaining and condemning when our picks are finally in and their favorite players are not chosen by our team. It happens every year. I can even tell you who it'll be doing the complaining.

And we just got ranked second worst drafting team of the last decade, barely next to last because of Jalen who we couldn't even retain. I think we were proven right...

(04-10-2021, 09:17 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 05:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: As far as this message board goes, I expect all hell to break loose when we finally make our draft picks.  People who spend a lot of time analyzing prospects, watching game tape, and doing mock drafts get entrenched in their own draft strategy and favorite picks and there will be a lot of complaining and condemning when our picks are finally in and their favorite players are not chosen by our team.  It happens every year.  I can even tell you who it'll be doing the complaining.  

And we just got ranked second worst drafting team of the last decade, barely next to last because of Jalen who we couldn't even retain. I think we were proven right...

Happens every year. 

So many posters just identify a handful of prospects as the only possible solution and then blindly bash the crap out of any pick that isn't from that small subset of players they've determined are the best. 

Many times the majority of those anointed, chosen picks don't work out to be anything special.

(04-10-2021, 04:45 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

I think so too.  I know it happens every year, but I think this year will be worse.  There's just so many different directions we can go and I can see that opinions on here are all over the place.  It brings up the question of who could the Jaguars select at #25 that would be broadly liked (assuming realistic options)?  Christian Barmore may fare better than most, but I've seen some people say they don't like him.  Some will also say that we need offensive play makers.  Trevon Moehrig is a frequent selection in mock drafts for us, but people will say it's too early for safety.  Ditto times 100 if it's a running back.  Pat Freiermuth would fill a huge need, but would be criticized for being a huge reach.  Someone like JOK would be hated for being a bad scheme fit.  The positions of wide receiver and offensive tackle might do well, but I'm sure many will argue that we selected the wrong wide receiver/tackle.  I've seen vastly different player rankings for those positions on here.  

I'm projecting a massive amount of hate this year around our draft class.  Of course, there will also be a flock of sheep who will love every draft pick no matter how bad it is.
In the interest of full disclosure, I will likely lodge a complaint or two after all is said and done.  But I realize that a 1-15 team will not be able to upgrade every position of need in one offseason, no matter how much I wish it could, no matter how I would have addressed them if I were making the decisions.  I just hope my/our complaints, however numerous, pale in comparison with all the picks they get spectacularly right.  I believe that to be the case for the majority of posters here.

I also believe that well reasoned complaints do not necessarily diminish board discussion.  I'm not talking about the oft contrived, contorted, and often contradictory complaints that often characterized TMDs posts.  As much as I defended him, at times his posts got to be too much.  But legitimate differences as to the wisdom (or lack of) to a team's approach is good for discussion.  No, a negative outlook isn't necessarily good for a reader of the board and a Jaguars loyalist, but nothing precludes those who view the draft favorably from voicing their approval passionately.  The "I told ya so's" that come after a bad take are just as valid and almost as fun as they are with your buddy over wings at a sports bar and are part and parcel for being a passionate fan, IMO.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2021, 09:58 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-10-2021, 07:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 11:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote: 1.  Thanks.   Greatly appreciated.   To be clear, I referenced it for context, not to elicit concern or sympathy from you guys.  It's not as if I got a terminal diagnosis or anything.  Many on here have been through far worse.  It's just bad enough to complicate some things.  Besides we all have better things to discuss than my health and flowers on a message board!   Laughing

(04-10-2021, 08:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 07:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Humble as always. I still wish you good health. You're my favorite poster on the board. I always look forward to your insights.

Seconded ^

Thank you all, kind sirs. I hold all of you guys (including MarleyJag) in similarly high esteem. I don't always agree with your takes but I always enjoy reading them. Predator too. I think I have disagreed with him more over the years than anyone else.

(04-10-2021, 09:17 PM)Upper Wrote:

By whom?  Who was ranked below us?

Got a link?

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2021, 01:04 PM by Bullseye.)

(04-10-2021, 09:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 09:17 PM)Upper Wrote: And we just got ranked second worst drafting team of the last decade, barely next to last because of Jalen who we couldn't even retain. I think we were proven right...

Happens every year. 

So many posters just identify a handful of prospects as the only possible solution and then blindly bash the crap out of any pick that isn't from that small subset of players they've determined are the best. 

Many times the majority of those anointed, chosen picks don't work out to be anything special.

A good description of the dynamic often at play.

Of course, sadly, the team has not definitively proven them wrong more often than not.  This team earned 1-15 last year and losing seasons in 12 of the last 13 years (over three GMs)  by drafting and managing well poorly. 

Scary thought:  The first round pick with the most seniority on this team is Taven Bryan.

(04-10-2021, 10:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 09:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Happens every year. 

A good description of the dynamic often at play.

Of course, sadly, the team has not definitively proven them wrong more often than not.  This team earned 1-15 last year and losing seasons in 12 of the last 13 years (over three GMs)  by drafting and managing well. 

Scary thought:  The first round pick with the most seniority on this team is Taven Bryan.

Ugh! How did that happen?

(04-11-2021, 12:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 10:03 PM)Bullseye Wrote: A good description of the dynamic often at play.

Of course, sadly, the team has not definitively proven them wrong more often than not.  This team earned 1-15 last year and losing seasons in 12 of the last 13 years (over three GMs)  by drafting and managing well. 

Ugh! How did that happen?

Tom Coughlin

Man Taven .... jeez that makes the past decade all morose
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Don’t be surprised if Taven don’t make the final 53..