Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Random Musings

(04-12-2021, 08:50 AM)Mikey Wrote: First off, if I could give you ten rep for the OP, I certainly would. I think you're on point with a lot of the statements you posted.

I think the big reason we haven't had the draft picks are overrated debate is that we are usually in the poo-tastic position of having great need, but darft positioning leaves us in a place where we're stuck picking the leftovers. If we were at 3 or 4, I could easily see the trade-down camp screaming to the front office to move back and hoard future picks rather than taking the third or fourth best QB in the darft. I haven't gone back to confirm, but I imagine there was a lot less debate the year that Ramsey fell into our lap, too, if only because we were all but assured a top player at a position of need that also kept the hometown fans happy.

Remember the random Arky fans that showed up after Matt Jones? (There were a few gems in the bunch, for certain) I think at this point we're left with the diehards, folks that love the team no matter who's on the roster, and for a lot of the casual fans or fans of other players/teams, there's just no thrill (yet) in following their fave at the next level. I fully expect winning to bring a lot of the casual fans back into the fold. (Best of luck, mods!)

With regard to Urbz, my biggest fear is that we waited a year too long and missed the boat on the up and coming college guy with no NFL experience. Matt Rhule was a huge roll of the dice for the Panthers, but I can see it paying off, especially if they can find a QB capable of running a wide open offense before CMC is ground to a paste.

Thank you for sharing the good word about the sales office. That's an awesome gesture, and in today's world, it almost seems like the only time we hear about customer service, it's a complaint. I hope that your health affords you opportunity to enjoy Jags football for a very long time, and that the team gives you something to cheer as well.

Be warned, if anyone on the board has your details, we're going to flood your doorstep with flowers now that we know how much you love them.

When I reference the draft position part of the debates, I am recalling the various tanking threads, where people opposed to tanking would often assert draft position is overrated.  However, our draft history more often than not played out exactly as you described above.  If there were an elite tier in a given draft class, we'd often be a pick or two below that elite tier.

I remember the Razorback invasion of a few years back.  They were an enthusiastic (if temporary) bunch.  I wish we could have retained their loyalties longer term.

As for UM/coaching, I see Rhule (more accurately Brady) as a missed opportunity, as well as Doug Pedersen after this past offseason.  But I like much of what I have seen from Urban Meyer so far.  There are things I don't necessarily care for.  I'd prefer the team to have kept a 4-3.  I disagree with his take on the T position.  But ultimately there is still much to learn about him, and he has much to prove at the NFL level.  I remain hopeful.

Thank you for the well wishes re:  my health.  I am hoping to live long enough to see the Jaguars win it all and in good enough health to see it and enjoy it.

As for the flowers....it's okay.  Keep them.  However, should you feel absolutely compelled to offer a charitable donation a la Trevor Lawrence, I am pleased to announce the future formation of the "80 Fund," designed to furnish my home with a high end 80 inch 4k flat screen.   Laughing

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-11-2021, 07:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-11-2021, 02:16 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I didn't mean for my prediction of a large amount of hate for this upcoming draft to imply that I oppose the criticism.  I think people should give their honest opinion and not ones that are blinded by teal colored glasses.  I know there are sheep who will like every pick.  If someone likes every single pick, then their opinion becomes worthless.  I also think Upper had a point in that the Jaguars have had a lot of bad drafts over the last decade.  Someone could have mostly been negative and also mostly been right.
I can almost guarantee you that if the Jags took the majority pick of the people on this board, the Jags would have drafted significantly better.

2020- Wirfs/Wills and then Jefferson
2019- Josh Allen
2018- Goedert or Hernandez

That’s just the last few years of players that the majority wanted if I remember. Now obviously there would be some misses from the board but I think overall, the board smashes Caldwell/Gene/Shack.

Scouts and GMs don’t hold that much more info than some people who work 9-5s. The amount of tape and data available is so much more abundant to the average/above average fan now as compared to the 80s and 90s.

Bro don’t forget to add Forrest Lamp to that draft list.

(04-12-2021, 08:32 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: To the bold, you are right. However, once Allen fell to our pick, the board went NUTS. It was as obvious as selecting Ramsey.

I kinda thought I remembered you liking Ed Oliver more than Allen. I know I did and I thought you were with me. Not that we didn't really like Allen also, but I would have taken Oliver by a hair.

Great post as always Bullseye. Your a very popular poster on here and i always enjoy your posts.

I was thinking this the other week, every year we disagree where to go with our 1st round picks, its so nice this year to see everyone on the Lawrence train. I love Minshew but i think we all see the bigger picture. Its also nice seeing other teams trying to position themselves for the 3rd/4th choice QB's yet we get the first pick off the menu. We all know Lawrence is the top QB prospect and nice to know we have him rather than trying to oversell the 5th QB that we are likely to get if you know what i mean.

Im so grateful for all of you guys. Having somewhere to talk Jags with other fans is so special. Love this crazy place