Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Police Officer pepper spray Army Officer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes...y.amp.html
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I saw this video a couple of days ago. These cops are a couple of morons.

And he has been fired, as he should have been. Cops are just people, and just like all people, there are good ones and bad ones. I get the feeling you want to lump all cops into the bad category. Is that your aim with this post?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 01:38 PM by KingIngram052787.)

You can support cops and also realize that some form of police reform is needed. Sure, this cop was fired and videos are becoming more and more prevalent with technology, body cameras, etc., but I'm sure for every one that we see, there are a bunch more we don't see or that are "investigated" and nothing is done because the deck is stacked against the average citizen. Things like qualified immunity, etc. There is a culture in the police brother hood that covers up acts perpetrated by their peers and that needs to end. There need to be consequences for everyone, people shouldn't fear the police.

The guy in the video says he's afraid to get out of the car and the cops response is "yeah you should be!" Are you [BLEEP] kidding me??! It happens all too often, regardless of race.

A lot of people say "well just comply!" First, we've seen some scenarios end poorly, even when people are complying, and secondly, a lot of the times these cops escalate the situation and unnecessarily force people into this situation where they suddenly "just need to comply" and it's for no good reason at all. It's a violation of those peoples' rights and, in my opinion, should be considered a form of treason. No one should have their rights violated, ESPECIALLY, by those whom get paid by our tax dollars to protect our rights.

Thank God for cameras and cell phones as the truth has never been so evident to the treatment of minorities in this country. That includes all of the surveillance cameras that show Asians getting sucker punched as they walk innocently down the street. UNBELIEVABLE !!!

(04-14-2021, 01:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Thank God for cameras and cell phones as the truth has never been so evident to the treatment of minorities in this country.  That includes all of the surveillance cameras that show Asians getting sucker punched as they walk innocently down the street.  UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Yea I remember the outrage from the knockout game years ago...

Dumb people do dumb crap. Sad but unavoidable.

I'm always in favor of getting better at everything, "forming a more perfect union," and all that, and I'm sure the police are going to get better at everything they do.

But there is a legitimate question: with the number of police in this country, and the number of daily citizen encounters with the police, and the number of cell phones out there videotaping everything in sight, isn't it something of a miracle there are not more incidents like this one?

I'm not saying we shouldn't be trying to get better at policing, but what is the correct perspective on this stuff?

(04-14-2021, 01:54 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 01:39 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Thank God for cameras and cell phones as the truth has never been so evident to the treatment of minorities in this country.  That includes all of the surveillance cameras that show Asians getting sucker punched as they walk innocently down the street.  UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Yea I remember the outrage from the knockout game years ago...

Agreed. It seems like people are getting dumber and meaner though.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 03:31 PM by homebiscuit.)

(04-14-2021, 01:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm always in favor of getting better at everything, "forming a more perfect union," and all that, and I'm sure the police are going to get better at everything they do.  

But there is a legitimate question: with the number of police in this country, and the number of daily citizen encounters with the police, and the number of cell phones out there videotaping everything in sight, isn't it something of a miracle there are not more incidents like this one?  

I'm not saying we shouldn't be trying to get better at policing, but what is the correct perspective on this stuff?

It's not as prevalent as the race hustlers/politicians would like everyone to believe. There's money to be made and elections to win on this stuff. 

That isn't to say police need better training, but there's a balance between detaining uncooperative and struggling suspects with their own safety as well as the public's. I saw an interview with a retired NYPD detective who said police must be trained to deal with these "new times". What exactly are the new times? 

This was just bad cops on a power trip who had gotten a heightened sense of control because the driver didn't pull over for a mile until he reached a well lit area. Which seems to me would be a positive indication to the cops. There was no excuse for the way they handled this. It was plain bad policing.

(04-14-2021, 03:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 01:54 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Yea I remember the outrage from the knockout game years ago...

Agreed. It seems like people are getting dumber and meaner though.

The knockout game targeted mainly white people so it was denied to even be a trend by some on the left.

(04-14-2021, 03:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 01:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm always in favor of getting better at everything, "forming a more perfect union," and all that, and I'm sure the police are going to get better at everything they do.  

It's not as prevalent as the race hustlers/politicians would like everyone to believe. There's money to be made and elections to win on this stuff. 

That isn't to say police need better training, but there's a balance between detaining uncooperative and struggling suspects with their own safety as well as the public's. I saw an interview with a retired NYPD detective who said police must be trained to deal with these "new times". What exactly are the new times? 

This was just bad cops on a power trip who had gotten a heightened sense of control because the driver didn't pull over for a mile until he reached a well lit area. Which seems to me would be a positive indication to the cops. There was no excuse for the way they handled this. It was plain bad policing.

(04-14-2021, 03:15 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed. It seems like people are getting dumber and meaner though.

The knockout game targeted mainly white people so it was denied to even be a trend by some on the left.

I'm not even talking about the knockout game. I'm talking about people just randomly attacking other people. It doesn't matter to them if they are men, women or the elderly. It's getting more prevalent and I don't get it. There's no confrontation or no argument which leads up to the attacks. These people just walk up to strangers of all ages, sexes and races and just start wailing on them. It's like society has gone crazy!

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 03:49 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

(04-14-2021, 01:23 PM)Ronster Wrote: And he has been fired, as he should have been. Cops are just people, and just like all people, there are good ones and bad ones. I get the feeling you want to lump all cops into the bad category. Is that your aim with this post?

I would like to assume im a rational thinking person who know (personally) there are amazing cops out there who are grossly underpaid but still put their lives on the line, and are ethical. I support those policemen by buying them their favorite beer, detail their car (see my post in the flyin thread) or showing them thanks. 

On the other hand there are cops who date underage girls, abuse their spouse and take advantage of the law and abuse it. I hold them just as accountable as I do with any individual.

(04-14-2021, 03:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Excellent point.

Removing race, gender, etc from the picture there is a clear problem with policing in regards to respect for an individual’s rights and freedoms. When some police asks questions or use illegal surveillance to justify arresting someone it becomes a problem.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(04-14-2021, 01:37 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: You can support cops and also realize that some form of police reform is needed.  Sure, this cop was fired and videos are becoming more and more prevalent with technology, body cameras, etc., but I'm sure for every one that we see, there are a bunch more we don't see or that are "investigated" and nothing is done because the deck is stacked against the average citizen.  Things like qualified immunity, etc.  There is a culture in the police brother hood that covers up acts perpetrated by their peers and that needs to end.  There need to be consequences for everyone, people shouldn't fear the police.  

The guy in the video says he's afraid to get out of the car and the cops response is "yeah you should be!"  Are you [BLEEP] kidding me??!  It happens all too often, regardless of race.  

A lot of people say "well just comply!"  First, we've seen some scenarios end poorly, even when people are complying, and secondly, a lot of the times these cops escalate the situation and unnecessarily force people into this situation where they suddenly "just need to comply" and it's for no good reason at all.  It's a violation of those peoples' rights and, in my opinion, should be considered a form of treason.  No one should have their rights violated, ESPECIALLY, by those whom get paid by our tax dollars to protect our rights.

I agree. The response by the cop shows he was just looking for a fight. 

The guy in the car said he didn't do anything wrong and asked the cop several times why he was being pulled over and asked to get out of the car. I believe that is a perfectly reasonable question. If you are being pulled over, you deserve to know what you are being accused of. The officer gives a generic answer that it's a "traffic violation?" Which one? There are hundreds! IMO, this is one of those instances where a bad police officer was racial profiling someone. The guy in the car was being very calm and reasonable and the officer was acting like a lunatic. In cases where excessive force was was being blamed on the police, I normally side with the officers, but in this particular case, the cops were definitely in the wrong and deserve to be fired. From the looks of the video, this cop seemed to get off on the power he had and that is definitely not something you want to see in police officers.

He ran from the cops for over a mile and then refused to get out of his car. As an uncooperative detainee had every reason to be afraid.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-14-2021, 03:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 01:37 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: You can support cops and also realize that some form of police reform is needed.  Sure, this cop was fired and videos are becoming more and more prevalent with technology, body cameras, etc., but I'm sure for every one that we see, there are a bunch more we don't see or that are "investigated" and nothing is done because the deck is stacked against the average citizen.  Things like qualified immunity, etc.  There is a culture in the police brother hood that covers up acts perpetrated by their peers and that needs to end.  There need to be consequences for everyone, people shouldn't fear the police.  

The guy in the video says he's afraid to get out of the car and the cops response is "yeah you should be!"  Are you [BLEEP] kidding me??!  It happens all too often, regardless of race.  

A lot of people say "well just comply!"  First, we've seen some scenarios end poorly, even when people are complying, and secondly, a lot of the times these cops escalate the situation and unnecessarily force people into this situation where they suddenly "just need to comply" and it's for no good reason at all.  It's a violation of those peoples' rights and, in my opinion, should be considered a form of treason.  No one should have their rights violated, ESPECIALLY, by those whom get paid by our tax dollars to protect our rights.

I agree. The response by the cop shows he was just looking for a fight. 

The guy in the car said he didn't do anything wrong and asked the cop several times why he was being pulled over and asked to get out of the car. I believe that is a perfectly reasonable question. If you are being pulled over, you deserve to know what you are being accused of. The officer gives a generic answer that it's a "traffic violation?" Which one? There are hundreds! IMO, this is one of those instances where a bad police officer was racial profiling someone. The guy in the car was being very calm and reasonable and the officer was acting like a lunatic. In cases where excessive force was was being blamed on the police, I normally side with the officers, but in this particular case, the cops were definitely in the wrong and deserve to be fired. From the looks of the video, this cop seemed to get off on the power he had and that is definitely not something you want to see in police officers.

The USSC had ruled that when a cop pulls you over you have to get out of the car if directed to do so. People think that they don't have to follow the law, and those leftist [BLEEP] holes running things in Virginia are letting him get away with it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 04:23 PM by mal234.)

(04-14-2021, 04:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He ran from the cops for over a mile and then refused to get out of his car. As an uncooperative detainee had every reason to be afraid.

It looks like he was driving further to find a well lit area during the nighttime. I don't blame him for doing that, a lot of people would have done the same. The cops were out of line with him, they were way too aggressive. Which tends to be the case with some/possibly a lot of cops these days. He didn't deserve to be treated like that and seemed pretty compliant. It's alarming they would treat anyone let alone a member of the armed forces that way.

If I'm by myself and its after dark I'm not pulling over for anyone until I get to a well lit area. Period. That is actually taught in safety classes. 

And if I'm alone on a highway I'm calling 911 to tell them a cop wants to pull me over but I'm alone, my direction of travel, the last mile marker I saw and that I am driving to a gas station at the next exit and they can relay that info to the cop behind me. If they don't like it, too bad. 

The cops could and should have done a much better job here. Good grief.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 04:33 PM by The Real Marty.)

(04-14-2021, 03:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 03:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: It's not as prevalent as the race hustlers/politicians would like everyone to believe. There's money to be made and elections to win on this stuff. 

I'm not even talking about the knockout game. I'm talking about people just randomly attacking other people. It doesn't matter to them if they are men, women or the elderly. It's getting more prevalent and I don't get it. There's no confrontation or no argument which leads up to the attacks. These people just walk up to strangers of all ages, sexes and races and just start wailing on them. It's like society has gone crazy!

How do you know it's getting more prevalent?

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2021, 05:23 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-14-2021, 04:00 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He ran from the cops for over a mile and then refused to get out of his car. As an uncooperative detainee had every reason to be afraid.

It appears he was looking for a safe area to pull over. That is the responsible thing to do. If I was in his situation I'd do the same exact thing. I don't wanna get myself or anyone else killed, because I pulled over in a dangerous spot. He was not being uncooperative at all. If he was trying to flee, he never would've stopped at all or he would have ran. We see those types of videos all the time. This was different. He did neither. That is evident in the video. They won't even tell him why they were pulling him over. These are just "amped up" cops looking to assert their authority on someone without justification. That's what happens when you put people with personality disorders in positions of power. The power goes to their heads and you get incidents like this. I truly believe police or other professions that allow you to use deadly force, should make potential employees go through very stringent psychological evaluations before they put you out in the field. I truly don't believe this cop would've passed such an evaluation based upon his actions in this video.

(04-14-2021, 04:30 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 03:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not even talking about the knockout game. I'm talking about people just randomly attacking other people. It doesn't matter to them if they are men, women or the elderly. It's getting more prevalent and I don't get it. There's no confrontation or no argument which leads up to the attacks. These people just walk up to strangers of all ages, sexes and races and just start wailing on them. It's like society has gone crazy!

How do you know it's getting more prevalent?

Statistically, it's being reported more.

He’s going to get a decent chunk of change out of this.

That does it, I’m going to Virginia to drive around. Homey wants a new motorcycle.

(04-14-2021, 05:26 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: He’s going to get a decent chunk of change out of this.

That does it, I’m going to Virginia to drive around. Homey wants a new motorcycle.

I'm gonna get a perm and hit the tanning bed for a few hours before driving around in Virginia. It might up my odds. lol. Big daddy wants a yacht!